Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's a valid question imo because if blackface is that antagonizing, this show does have a pretty decent chance of putting someone in blackface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Jesus christ megwin what a broken mess of a man you are.

luxury handset posted:

hamada dressing like eddie murphy isn't equivalent at all to some dipshit frat boys having a racist theme party
This is key. It's Japanese made for a Japanese market to Japanese humor standards, not a production made to be tolerable by San Fransisco/Austin inhabitants.

I think I'll be groaning and moaning over how it's the same old poo poo every year and nothing new happens though. I want to see the olden days, Tanaka and Matsumoto in charge of terrorizing the others, if not Hamada getting to be the sadistic mastermind. Those ones were small and charming with plenty of soul.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There was one episode of Gaki somewhat recently where Matsumoto was half-jokingly ribbing Hamada about the whole blackface thing and Hamada seemed genuinely regretful about it. So there's that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

This is key. It's Japanese made for a Japanese market to Japanese humor standards, not a production made to be tolerable by San Fransisco/Austin inhabitants.

right but even still it shouldn't have blackface.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

harperdc posted:

it's arguable that it's even blackface, since hamada isn't trying to portray a caricature of an african american but rather a very specific person in a specific role. it's the kind of thing that makes americans wince in bad taste but it's miles from some zwarte piet bullshit

e: i'm not saying they should do it again, or that criticism from the west was undeserved, but there's a bit of a difference imo between using makeup to really sell an eddie murphy impression vs. some poo poo like mr. popo

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 19, 2018

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

harperdc posted:

By whose standards? Enforcing Western taboos on Japan is cultural imperialism at its finest. No one would have batted an eye if it weren't a show a bunch of weebs watch every year.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
iirc there's a problem with japanese hip hop groups using black makeup to increase their immersion into the culture, whatever that means in japan, vs other fans saying that's weird and not to do it

my angle here is i'm not sure where the line is between blackface and cosplay

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

shoplifter posted:

By whose standards? Enforcing Western taboos on Japan is cultural imperialism at its finest. No one would have batted an eye if it weren't a show a bunch of weebs watch every year.

Where do you think blackface comes from (it's from Americans doing it). It's racist.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

It's fine if the Japanese decide on their own that it's not ok, but westerners shouldn't expect it of them.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

shoplifter posted:

It's fine if the Japanese decide on their own that it's not ok, but westerners shouldn't expect it of them.

Yeah, just like only white people should be able to decide if they're being racist towards minorities! Oh wait no that's not how it works

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Who'd have thought that a highly homogenous society would have vastly different cultural norms (and a lack of knowledge and/or care of other cultures norms) than a multi racial one with a history of oppressing minorites.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
It's almost like two societies can both be racist

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

The Japanese are totally racist, just usually in ignorant innocuous ways

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

shoplifter posted:

Who'd have thought that a highly homogenous society would have vastly different cultural norms (and a lack of knowledge and/or care of other cultures norms) than a multi racial one with a history of oppressing minorites.

the japanese are definitely aware of blackface and that it is bad. it's just not as obvious when it is being used or how it is offensive

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Is it really worth going on another pages long derail about something that happened a year ago?

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Vox or Polygon are bound to bring it back up again this year

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

This is the dumbest loving thing and the people arguing 'it's ok if the Japanese do blackface because it's ok there' is embarrassing.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I absolutely adore old school Megawin TV. Like the series where they go on an American burger quest. Also, the latest series of Terrace House is some cosy warm viewing. Is there any other Japanese shows you guys would recommend which are just as wholesome?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lampsacus posted:

I absolutely adore old school Megawin TV. Like the series where they go on an American burger quest. Also, the latest series of Terrace House is some cosy warm viewing. Is there any other Japanese shows you guys would recommend which are just as wholesome?

midnight diner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCGDVHjPX0c

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

This is the dumbest loving thing and the people arguing 'it's ok if the Japanese do blackface because it's ok there' is embarrassing.

We're saying it's bad, that they know it's frowned upon, most importantly we're also saying it's loving retarded to lose your poo poo and rage and promise to never watch it again, when they've done it twice for the sake of tastefully handled gags that have done no harm to any human being on the planet except for the ones who laughed and got their rear end beat in the show.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tasteful blackface

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

for some reason, netflix has only translated and released one season

there are others but I can’t seem to find them streaming anywhere

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
It could be worse. For some reason, Amazon has only translated one episode of Sanada Maru, the recent Taiga drama...

One out of 50!!!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder how much of the Shinya shokudo (Midnight diner) series is original material? I have been anxiously waiting for new translated chapters for the manga, but there hasn't been any for like a year and I don't think the series was picked up as an official english release either?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TeaJay posted:

I wonder how much of the Shinya shokudo (Midnight diner) series is original material? I have been anxiously waiting for new translated chapters for the manga, but there hasn't been any for like a year and I don't think the series was picked up as an official english release either?

it's a loose adaptation, in the same theme - random people all get together at the diner and each chapter is a heartfelt exploration of someone's relationship to someone else. i dont recall any of the manga chapters being directly translated to the show but if you like the manga you'll like the show

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

luxury handset posted:

it's a loose adaptation, in the same theme - random people all get together at the diner and each chapter is a heartfelt exploration of someone's relationship to someone else. i dont recall any of the manga chapters being directly translated to the show but if you like the manga you'll like the show

Apparently the first season has a lot of episodes that take their plot pretty much straight from the manga. The potato salad one is especially good. Seems like after that it starts to delve more into original material.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

drat, I'd really like to watch the second season. :/

Edit: there are 4 seasons of Midnight Diner, drat...

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 27, 2018

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Gaki is live but no live translation this year.

ed: Also Matsumoto is appearing in a lot of ads. One for drones and one for Amazon Prime.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 31, 2018

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I find myself wanting to return to watching the originals again, this is as I predicted in being all the same. Enthusiastic Teachers was the most recent one to stand out as a whole and not just little segments, not only from being familiar with the sources referenced. At least there's always the ever entertaining originals of spa, spa2, police station, school, haunted inn, etc.

If batsugames were the games industry, then I would be who Michael Pachter thinks he is, someone of 98% accuracy. Changing the gossip segment was my 2%.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 31, 2018

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I just watched both Jimmy: The true story of an idiot and Hibana -spark- on Netflix. Here's some thoughts

Jimmy: The True Story of an Idiot
This series, directed by Jimmy's mentor chronicles his life from the start of his comedy career to his first retirement. While some of the acting is good, some of the acting is downright distractingly bad, namely the roles for Jimmy and Mr. Okure. While the rest of the cast will regularly break their "characters" for serious moments, Mr Okure's character never does and is constantly making distracting faces in the background. Jimmy's character might be truer to life but there's no real off switch, it's just 100% Jimmy all the time which gets a little frustrating. The stories themselves are based on "mostly true" stories but they seem to glance over or avoid a whole lot of things, like his entire stint with Gaki no Tsukai. The only good part of the series in my opinion is when the real life Jimmy and Sanma are telling stories before the show starts and after the credits. The only thing I'd go out of my way to watch is the "Funeral" for Jimmy at the very end of the series.

The show makes Jimmy come off as an almost feral sexual predator with legitimate mental health issues when the real man himself is just very horny and has no shame in admitting it. There were a couple of Gaki-related interviews they did (Including a 24 hour interview, I believe) featuring Jimmy that were probably more informative and funnier than this mediocre attempt at a comedy/j-drama

Hibana Spark
This show put me through a whole range of emotions. It follows a comedy duo trying to make it in the business as Manzai artists from the first step in their careers until retirement. The lead character is inspired by a pretty rough comedian from a different Manzai group performing at the same show as they are who doesn't seem to care at all who he offends or who else finds him funny. It starts off really slow as a slice of life show, starts to get humorous, gets REALLY sad and ends in one of the strangest loving gags I've ever seen in a serious drama, even if this is supposed to be about comedians. I don't think I could possibly prepare you for the end of the series, but here it is anyway: In a last attempt to make his protoge laugh, Kamiya buys massive fake breasts. Tokunaga, his junior in a speech I didn't think I'd ever see in Japan berates him for using fake breasts as a gag because of all the legitimate transgender and gender-confused people and their families out there that his gag could hurt, saying that Kamiya probably meant no harm by the gag but his actions will no doubt hurt others and calls him an insensitive idiot. It's really bizarre to see a gag like that being outright problematic by the show itself, while still doing it anyway, almost like it was a disclaimer. If you were curious, yes they show his CGI'd on fake breasts as he dances around naked in a spa. It was just...weird.

Anyway, the show does feature a lot of cameos throughout in passing, including two actors playing Hard Gay and his partner, along with a lady doing Matusmoto's old bit from a Gaki show where he dresses up as a white women with huge breasts and saying BANANA and moaning over and over.

I highly recommend Hibana Spark if you're into dramas and Maznzai, it does have it's funny moments but it's not really a comedy. Jimmy is a pass from me, even if you love him from Gaki

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Szmitten posted:

Gaki is live but no live translation this year.

ed: Also Matsumoto is appearing in a lot of ads. One for drones and one for Amazon Prime.

There will eventually be translation though, right?

makaja
Jun 17, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

There will eventually be translation though, right?

Already started at the usual place https://www.teamgaki.com/statuspage/.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

I just watched both Jimmy: The true story of an idiot and Hibana -spark- on Netflix. Here's some thoughts

I'm glad to see these reviews here. I've only seen the first episode of Hibana so far, but I watched Jimmy all the way through, and my conclusions there are along the same lines as yours. Jimmy Onishi is basically made to look like he's mentally handicapped, and he can't make a single decision in his own life without the guiding wisdom of his mentor Sanma. I think it can be enjoyed as brainless entertainment completely divorced from actual history, much like Braveheart, but you can't take it as anything more.

I've been meaning to get back to Hibana, and your positive review just might nudge me in that direction. The first episode didn't really grab me, but nor did it push me away. If there's good stuff down the road, I can certainly jump back in.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Since it was mentioned, I wanna say that Hibana absolutely blew me away. It’s beautifully shot and relentlessly and uncontrollably sad, but in a weirdly hopeful way.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It was this thread that prompted me to watch it last year and I was really glad I did. Fantastic show.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone watched Takeshi's Castle? I just heard of it now and it looks like an interesting game show. I have only watched Gaki no Tsukai as far as Japanese variety shows go.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

It was a big show on SpikeTV for years under the name MXC: Most Extreme Elimination Challenge with a comedy dub over it. Most people probably saw it years and years ago, and I think it's been dubbed over again for the UK recently, too.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Honestly if they brought back MXC somehow, I wouldn't mind that.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Hamada's new show on Amazon is basically Takeshi's Castle with cars. It's called Sentosha, and the first season is on US Prime with English subs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

They showed Takeshi's Castle in the UK in the early 2000's and that version aired here in Finland as well during 2002-2004 under the name (direct translation) "Crazy Japanese". It had a really obnoxious narrator (Craig Charles) who just kept mocking everyone in the show and had his own nicknames to the characters. Still have some of the show on my hard drive for some nostalgic viewing.