Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sindai posted:

The next question is how you're going to get your strong AIs who are literally just fantasy humans to agree to act like perfectly loyal combat drones.

The same way you get normal humans to act like loyal combat drones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That doesn't seem compatible with their method of creating strong AI

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Sindai posted:

That doesn't seem compatible with their method of creating strong AI

In fairness, once they've figured out the "method" for creating a stable AI they can just delete them all and then begin again with a newly-crafted world shaped to whatever specifications they need. The current world is like 300 years old and the project can't have been going on more than a few months in the real world.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, their goal in this project is just to create an AI that learns and adapts just like a human.

Like with most scientific discoveries it comes out of the military as the Military is capable of pretty much getting whatever funding for whatever bullshit they want. So the Military is going to eventually want to try to apply it to military type functions as the main goal. But the Devs on the job just want to create ai that is indistinguishable from a human.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
On the ai stuff, I guess the plan was to force people to fight the monsters from the bad side and whoever survives is worthy to bring back for proper training or something.

As for the episode, man that was some of the most boring exposition since the cave episodes in ggo. An episode and a half of someone sitting in a chair telling us thing.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

ViggyNash posted:

As for the episode, man that was some of the most boring exposition since the cave episodes in ggo. An episode and a half of someone sitting in a chair telling us thing.

This was pretty much the biggest back story dump.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nervous posted:

Shinobu's backstory arc in Monogatari Second Season was a multi-episode backstory exposition dump and that was of the franchises better arcs.

The problem with most exposition dumps is that they're terrible.

To be fair there's been plenty worse than this episode. There was at least a bit of effort.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The show took a week off and they came back with a second info dump episode lol

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Hey she's been waiting 200 years to dump that info, we can take a couple weeks.

Azurelana
Nov 6, 2018

Too cute to function

Nervous posted:

Have you ever played Chrono Cross?

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I legitimately liked the first info dump because I kinda liked how they were building the antagonist apart from literally burning forest critters. But this was just boring, holy poo poo.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Azurelana posted:

Have you ever played Chrono Cross?

That game reaaaaaaally back loaded huge chunks of its plot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

This is my Bankai.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dexo posted:

This is my Bankai.

Too bad it lost to Eugeo's Shikai

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

In this episode Kirito and Eugeo:

• pick up their swords from an armory
  • defeat a bow guy
  • climb a couple of stairs
  • eat something

Holy poo poo this pacing.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dessel posted:

• defeat a bow guy
  • eat something

It didn't really parse as slow to me because I was evaluating it by the standards of Bleach (Dexo wasn't the only one to make that connection).

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dessel posted:

• defeat a bow guy
  • eat something

Can’t wait for an info dump next week

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm slowly starting to understand how this show plans to run for an entire year

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
They also recapped some stuff that was already explained in sufficient detail in the previous two episodes and pretty blatantly shown even before that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

dogsicle posted:

i'm slowly starting to understand how this show plans to run for an entire year

the thing is it really doesn't need to, which means they are going to rush through some more stuff. there are still like 5 and a half books left.

My guess is they really wanted to end this episode with those characters for some dumb reason so they drew it out.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Dexo posted:

the thing is it really doesn't need to, which means they are going to rush through some more stuff. there are still like 5 and a half books left.

My guess is they really wanted to end this episode with those characters for some dumb reason so they drew it out.

So what're the odds they don't get to the top of that tower till, like, episode 26?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i know it's more of a label/production committee thing than anything else, but it's cute that ReoNa is doing the new ED after her major musical debut was in GGO Alternative.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Dessel posted:

• defeat a bow guy
  • eat something

They also stole some clothes similar, but not quite identical, to what they were already wearing, for some reason.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Dzhay posted:

They also stole some clothes similar, but not quite identical, to what they were already wearing, for some reason.

But not armor, because armor would just slow Kirito down.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

So what're the odds they don't get to the top of that tower till, like, episode 26?

My guess is since they call the last 26 episodes the war for underworld. That we get to the top levels of the tower about 6 - 7 episodes from now

26 probably ends with a very specific event.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Silver2195 posted:

It didn't really parse as slow to me because I was evaluating it by the standards of Bleach (Dexo wasn't the only one to make that connection).

Oh god, don't remind me.
Some of those long running shows really need a cut like Dragonball Kai where all of the filler is removed.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

It does amuse me that Rath/JSDF's attempt to make an AI soldier has instead birthed the greatest opponent possible in Cardinal: a nihilistic AI

Cardinal: "gently caress the ""gods"", gently caress this lovely world, gently caress it all, pulling the plug :black101:"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Feminist Ally Kirito

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

"Yes, I saw your scabbards made of Unobtanium and from this reasoned you were going to poison us with Rarium blades, so I started casting a poison resistance spell"

Cool, glad Kirito knew about these two things never mentioned before. And for some reason decided to go for subterfuge rather then just taking their knives away

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It gave him a way to have Eugeo play possum long enough to use his bankai

But everyone generally seems pretty content to follow the shounen rule of no interrupts so far so it seemed unnecessary.

Dexo posted:

Feminist Ally Kirito
This seemed way more egregious. I don't recall any previous indication women were looked down on, considering it all comes down to permission levels and willpower and the second strongest student at sword school was a woman. It seemed like something introduced just so Kirito could turn to the camera and let s know he's totally not sexist

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 20, 2019

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Also the goddamn Pontifex is a woman :psyduck:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kazy posted:

Also the goddamn Pontifex is a woman :psyduck:

Female monarchs in patriarchal societies are not exactly unheard of in real life, although off the top of my head I can't think of examples of female theocrats.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm a few episodes behind and am just now catching up:

• The minute Kirito started spinning his sword rapidly to make a shield to block Crimson Knight's firebird arrow I nearly cheered out loud because this is the kind of dumb SAO I love
  • This really did get Bleach as hell.
  • Wow Kirito way to not let Eugeo in on the plan and just let him get stabbed in the gut. And also I buy an ability to dissolve poison but what about the bigass knife wound, Kirito? How'd you just shrug that poo poo off?
  • I love how Kirito and Eugeo say Eugeo's ability of "freeze everything in the room" isn't really an offensive ability. I mean I'm guessing (based purely off watching Bleach) that a sword with ice powers will be useless immediately after the first time it's powers are dramatically revealed, but in theory it should be really good.
  • So what are the odds on Kirito's bankai sword enhancement just being a second sword for dual wielding? I just can't see it being anything else and it'd be like peak SAO.

edit: also while I don't think they're bad, I find the new OP and ED to be a definite downgrade from the first set

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 21, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the new op is a turd, as are the dumb trench coats kirito and eugeo wear

but the ed rocks and is sung by elsa kanzaki from sao:ggo:alt

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The first OP was insanely good so there was nowhere to go but down but it is unfortunate how unremarkable the new one is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'll be the dissenting voice here and say I like the new opening more than the previous one. In song, anyways, the visuals are pretty boring.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Both OPs are pretty lackluster in the visuals department. I can't comment on the songs because I have terrible taste in music.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i pretty much started watching this show solely based on the first op lol

i don't think it will necessarily stand the test of time, but it's a good combo of visuals to driving music that gets you hyped for the uh, exposition dumps i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

IIRC I think we are done with Exposition dumps until like the next season starts.