Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Looking back I think one of my favorite panels in the entire series was when Jerry Tyson was trying to think of a way to avoid Akiyama and couldnt and thinks "Sorry! But you shouldnt die from this!" because the face hes making reminds me of the one Brad Pitt makes in the closet in Burn After Reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
this was awesome; you all are awesome

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

If I had to guess about a sequel character (assuming it's someone we know), I'd guess Cosmo. He's had a clearly implied arc of improvement/growth.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It's surely got to deal with the rest of the Niko and worm stuff. There are only 2 fighters in the series with any connection to it now and I think if gensai wanted to deal with it he would have done so by now especially as he wants to fight strong people

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Jose posted:

nogi is sitting really weirdly here imo. who crosses their left leg over their right?

Me right now before I even read this post.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

A series about setsuna hunting down the rest of the niko bastards

I'd be down for it if not for the fact that Setsuna's flashbacks are guaranteed to be horrific.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In the sequel it is revealed that Julius wasn't actually the strongest man, and that he's just the best from his "stable" of roidmen that the head of a Japanese electric company could afford. It turns out that the US company Boldman Zachs has contracted the services of the actual strongest man, who has the combined power of Superman Syndrome, roids, and the Kure Removal technique.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pewdiepie posted:

Me right now before I even read this post.

You monster

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

You monster

sometimes you just get a bit uncomfortable and need to switch positions

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
All of you doubting Castle Kuroki should feel ashamed, but this series has been an amazing ride from start to finish. Kazzy and Ohma :(

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
So the substitution rule never actually ended up being used right? Excluding Seki at least

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

there's one chapter left... maybe....

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
What a wonderful manga. The battle choreography was unmatched, the entire cast had personality and character, and it managed to actually make a tournament arc in a manga feel like you didn't know who was going to win it all.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

God drat, what an incredible series. Really knocked it out of the park in every aspect, from the actual fights themselves to the personalities of the fighters to the overall plotting. In abstract, a series that is all about a single tournament sounds pretty boring, but they really made it work.

Can't wait for the next series! My money's on it being some new up-and-comer who ends up working for Kazzy.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
You remind me of someone I used to know... Alright kid you're my fighter

*cue title credits*

Shin Kengan Ashura

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
This is bullshit. I don't want our hero to end this way. I usually don't give a gently caress about the main protag but Ohma actually started becoming a well fleshed our character along side a great cast.
:(

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

This is bullshit. I don't want our hero to end this way. I usually don't give a gently caress about the main protag but Ohma actually started becoming a well fleshed our character along side a great cast.
:(

Dreams always come to an end.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Sequel/Continuation soon

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Kazzy substitutes that loving cop into Ohma's grave.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Eopia posted:

All of you doubting Castle Kuroki should feel ashamed, but this series has been an amazing ride from start to finish. Kazzy and Ohma :(

I felt like a fool while following along with the raws because it seemed like Gensai would have lost 2 times prior to fighting Ohma. His first fight was with Rihito but beating the comic relief isn't that spectacular since Rihito already lost and isn't necessarily the strongest fighter. But him fighting Setsuna, he could have jobbed to set up Setsuna and hypothetically have Setuna make it to the finals to fight Ohma. NOPE, Gensai isn't impressed with drill hands and improvisations. That was the first time I doubted him.
He also could have lost to Sasuke because that guy is pretty hyped up and pretty distinct from the group of contestants. NOPE, Gensai can move before the lightning God can move and Rei winds up running into fists and elbows until he gets rekt. That was the second time I doubted the beard.
He then fought Agito, the king of the Kengan circuit. It was here that I stopped doubting Gensai and understood that he was not going to lose. My faith was tested a bit when Agito started to turn the tides but I didn't allow myself to waver and once the Dragon Cannon was shut down I was sure Gensai would go all the way and defy even the typical battle shounen tropes.

Having watched Gensai beat Ohma twice now it's satisfying for the grizzled old martial arts either not job out or get shelved so the MC can shine.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Props to the Ultimate Jobber, the Jackie Chun of this tournament, Kuroki Gensai!

Gensai walks into the arena and sighs. 'You have already lost this match.' And then his opponent wakes up in the infirmary.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Kengan Ashura made some interesting plot decisions during this tournament, stuff that I don't think fighting mangas do all that often. Both fighters set up as rivals end up not mattering at all to Ohma by the end of the story. The final boss comes out of the left field, slowly builds up cred and WINS against the protagonist. It's not even a close match, really. The final fight itself is the first time I feel like that "let's have a pure fight and leave no regrets on the ring" trope felt real. There is no animosity, Ohma just wants to see how far he can get.

They even cockblock the Agito rival fight, now that I think of it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Magissima posted:

So the substitution rule never actually ended up being used right? Excluding Seki at least
It retroactively makes it even better that it was introduced exclusively for that.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
so is there any word on when the sequel/continuation starts?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

verbal enema posted:

Winter 2019. Anything more specific I'm unaware of.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
That gives me good time to make people read this

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

verbal enema posted:

I keep reading that it'll start on the 17th of this month, though I dunno where the source for that is.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

Kengan Ashura made some interesting plot decisions during this tournament, stuff that I don't think fighting mangas do all that often. Both fighters set up as rivals end up not mattering at all to Ohma by the end of the story. The final boss comes out of the left field, slowly builds up cred and WINS against the protagonist. It's not even a close match, really. The final fight itself is the first time I feel like that "let's have a pure fight and leave no regrets on the ring" trope felt real. There is no animosity, Ohma just wants to see how far he can get.

They even cockblock the Agito rival fight, now that I think of it.

:yeah:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

drat I can't believe it's been 235 chapters already. There were ups and downs but that was a good series. Goodbye Ohma. Looking forward to that epilogue/teaser though.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Magissima posted:

Good point! It just made the reader's (us!) head spin with possibilities. All defeated fighters were back in play. It also allowed the authors to really drive home how great some of the fighters were (Cosmo King of Stranglers!)

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Man, Kengan Ashura is gonna be over in like an hour :(

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://mangadex.org/chapter/516916

That's all folks!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

what a setup

i like how such a brutal fighting manga also one of the most feel good series ever, i really appreciated the epilogue

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

well thats raians hook for the sequel at least

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gensai thinks he's still green. :stare:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Kanoh was cured of his autism and looks much nicer

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm really glad Gaolang's hand injury healed and Haruo found a new home :shobon:

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Aw, no Saw Paing :(. I hope his village is getting by somehow

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Uh oh, there might be some payoff to kenzo playing with rat brains in the sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yeah you go Kazzy :cool:

What a ride this has been, can't wait for the sequel