Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Moot . posted:

Anyone know about the lifespan on custom footbeds? I think my boots are just about done and would like to be able to swap my footbeds over to whatever new boots I get.

A good custom footbed should last several hundred ski days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Moot . posted:

Anyone know about the lifespan on custom footbeds? I think my boots are just about done and would like to be able to swap my footbeds over to whatever new boots I get.
I’ve been skiing the same cork footbeds for more than 15 years now and they’re fine. They had to be shaved down a bit for my current boots (the third pair I’ve had them in now).

The important thing to look out for is to make sure they get a chance to dry out after you ski. Sometimes this means pulling them out of your boots overnight to dry out. If they stay moist (and your feet sweat, they will have moisture) they can tend to delaminate.

Newer materials may not be as susceptible to this as traditional cork footbeds, idk.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
drat my bad, i guess ill stop using my speaker

also, looks like there will be snow week that i go to breck, so hooray. hopefully there's some at copper too

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Season started off early here but it's still only really good for xc. We've had back to back systems dump 6+ inches of heavy snow and then rain for a couple hours. It's set up everything groomed to be super hard and fast but straight poo poo for downhill except for a few hours of spring-style corn here and there.

Did a 14 mile skinny-ski backcountry mission to compensate and it was good.

Hopefully we get some cold temps and serious lake effect soon!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Holy poo poo, squaw got 17 inches yesterday, 29 inches today. :stare:

Can't wait till I go next week.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

kiimo posted:

That seems like a lot of work to take a couple drags off a vape pen but then again I might have felt differently 20 years ago.

Made a lot more sense when you were passing around a joint or a bowl with buddies. Finding a nice spot and settling in for a safety meeting in the woods was always a good time, though I never got to use any rad shacks.

Widespread legalization is probably going to see a lot of that kind of stoner culture just straight vanish, both because pocket vapes are incredible and because nobody gives a poo poo so why hide anymore? The transgressiveness was fun when I was younger but the tradeoff is worth it IMO.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156571770315041&set=a.10150595626420041&type=3&theater

This is a very important read. From Whistler a couple days ago.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

Made a lot more sense when you were passing around a joint or a bowl with buddies. Finding a nice spot and settling in for a safety meeting in the woods was always a good time, though I never got to use any rad shacks.

Widespread legalization is probably going to see a lot of that kind of stoner culture just straight vanish, both because pocket vapes are incredible and because nobody gives a poo poo so why hide anymore? The transgressiveness was fun when I was younger but the tradeoff is worth it IMO.
Agreed. A classic safety meeting with friends is still fun from time to time, even though modern vapes have made them much more rare for me.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have only been skiing a couple seasons now, but have noticed some behaviours on the mountain that I find, well, questionable. I was wondering if the wonderful skiing goon hive-mind could weigh in on a few behaviours for me. Are these faux pas or am I just a grumpy old?

--People wearing speakers/boombox like things blasting their music for everyone around them. This is especially bad when waiting in a lift line when the lift attendants have their own (usually a much better choice/selection) music playing.

--People in a crowded lift line not filling/blocking people from filling up a lift seat to designed capacity.

--People smoking weed in front of kids. I imagine this is much more an Oregon/Colorado thing than a Utah thing.

Sorry, I'm a speaker bad. I keep a UE Roll in my backpack and listen to ambient music while I ride lifts alone and ride trees. Headphones cut off awareness and especially for solo riding it's nice to have a rhythm so I don't get too in my head overthinking about what I'm doing next. I turn it off when loading lifts, though lifts are usually no-wait-ride-on where I am. Japanese people mostly refuse to fill lift chairs to capacity, almost all quads end up with 2 people riding them. No weed here, but lots of beer and sake, mostly consumed at the restaurants or just outside.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mongoose posted:

Sorry, I'm a speaker bad. I keep a UE Roll in my backpack and listen to ambient music while I ride lifts alone and ride trees. Headphones cut off awareness and especially for solo riding it's nice to have a rhythm so I don't get too in my head overthinking about what I'm doing next. I turn it off when loading lifts, though lifts are usually no-wait-ride-on where I am. Japanese people mostly refuse to fill lift chairs to capacity, almost all quads end up with 2 people riding them. No weed here, but lots of beer and sake, mostly consumed at the restaurants or just outside.

That is very interesting about them not filling chairs to capacity. After riding the train when I visited Japan I would have thought Japan would be the place where they know how to pack a lift.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

They do a good job of it on the single seaters.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
In Australia once a liftie yelled at me because in a completely empty line (there were literally zero people behind me) I waited for a group of three to go up a quad so I could take the next chair by myself.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
so a guy died in an avalanche.... safety course?

https://coloradosun.com/2019/01/07/silverton-avalanche-peter-marshall-safety-course/

are level 2 courses usually out in actual avalanche territory? i don't know anything about the courses in general but i thought that they were in pretty safe flat areas where you just shovel snow on people and make people dig around for them or something

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
My level 1 course was in avalanche terrain. Every course I am familiar with is, but I’ve only paid attantion to offerings in south central Alaska.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Razzled posted:

https://coloradosun.com/2019/01/07/silverton-avalanche-peter-marshall-safety-course/

are level 2 courses usually out in actual avalanche territory? i don't know anything about the courses in general but i thought that they were in pretty safe flat areas where you just shovel snow on people and make people dig around for them or something

level 2, if it's anything like in canada, takes you into actual avalanche terrain so you can do more terrain analysis

but the instructor was pretty dumb0 to take a group into something like that with the risk being what it is; the easiest way to trash your operation is to kill people, not to mention killing people is a dick move

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Finally got out today. Snow was decent at Lake Louise but it could still use some more!

Got into the back bowls but the light was so flat I could not see any terrain, including slope, moguls, fall line, which squicked me out and kept me on well defined runs mostly. Front side was surprisingly good, especially just off Top of the World. Glad things are so good in Colorado also please die TIA

e. obvs joke aside (MODS KNEW), I also have torn my ski socks so would appreciate suggestions for nice thin warm brands or materials to investigate. We have a smartwool outlet in banff village--worth it or overhyped overpriced garbage?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Razzled posted:

This happened here a couple years back. Like five partial burials and a couple full burials I think during an avy2 course in Alta Lakes.

If conditions are right you theoretically should get to do some skiing during your avalanche education. Conditions are rarely right in the San Juans.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bilirubin posted:

Finally got out today. Snow was decent at Lake Louise but it could still use some more!

Got into the back bowls but the light was so flat I could not see any terrain, including slope, moguls, fall line, which squicked me out and kept me on well defined runs mostly. Front side was surprisingly good, especially just off Top of the World. Glad things are so good in Colorado also please die TIA

e. obvs joke aside (MODS KNEW), I also have torn my ski socks so would appreciate suggestions for nice thin warm brands or materials to investigate. We have a smartwool outlet in banff village--worth it or overhyped overpriced garbage?

Most my ski socks are smart wool. Pretty good stuff. I have been buying more darn tough lately though. They are all the same price.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I personally love smart wool ski socks. They’re a good item to buy in the off-season, can usually be found cheap.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I picked up two pairs of Euros brand socks for dirt cheap at a local sale and I like them a lot. Super thin but warm, soft, and comfy.

I think as long as the sock is made of wool, is thin, and has some stretch but not too much it should be alright. Honestly you can tell how good a sock is by touching the material.

I don't think Smartwool is magical, but they do make a good product.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m a fan of smart wool. I’ve had a pair for 15 years and they’re still good as new. It’s mental.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I too have had some pairs of Smartwool socks for years. I usually wear a thinner pair of AK or Stance socks, though anything merino would be fine.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Personally I prefer Icebreaker to Smartwool, but I appear to be in the minority.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Playing hooky for a day trip to squaw. Will probably wind up having spent more time in the car than actually skiing, but it’s already worth it and so much better than dealing with the inevitable clusterfuck this weekend

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Spent my first day at Sun Valley today and it was a lot of fun. My sibling is still learning so we spent the day at Dollar Mountain. Since I am renting equipment here for the trip I decided to move up from beginner skis and boots to type 2/intermediate equipment. My boots that I own only have a flex of 60, so very soft, so it is quite the change for me. They have a free bus here that is really convenient.

For socks I really enjoy Eurosocks. They seem to be comfortable and about the same price as others. I hate the feeling of raw wool, so I may be biased. Link below to the ones I like.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M10ETWD/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I've gotten tired of the gimmicky Just One of Those Days videos but I don't get tired of seeing Candide throw down like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsdbldXC-1K/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's the third jump that I wish I could pull off. He's flying.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Headed to Jackson tomorrow through Tuesday, perfectly timed to catch their sunny weather break in between storm systems :saddowns:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I am alive after surgery. Doc said it was very shattered.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Recover fast, young Bob Odenkirk.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Re: climbing skins, any experience or recommendations for either G3 Alpinist or Black Diamond Ascensionist?

They are both about $100 cheaper than alternatives like the Contour Hybrid Mix, which has higher reviews.

I am probably more sensitive to glue failure than other considerations like glide. I don’t want some gloppy bullshit that’s going to trash my bases.

Alternatively, any first hand experiences with the non-adhesive silicon ones like the “vacuums” or w/e? They sound interesting, but also like separation is pretty common.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

highme posted:

Stance socks

I've been wearing these exclusively for like two years now. Love em.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Re: climbing skins, any experience or recommendations for either G3 Alpinist or Black Diamond Ascensionist?

They are both about $100 cheaper than alternatives like the Contour Hybrid Mix, which has higher reviews.

I am probably more sensitive to glue failure than other considerations like glide. I don’t want some gloppy bullshit that’s going to trash my bases.

Alternatively, any first hand experiences with the non-adhesive silicon ones like the “vacuums” or w/e? They sound interesting, but also like separation is pretty common.

My last set were G3. The glue went bad after 3 seasons (15 ish days each). My girlfriend is on the BD Ascensionist and does very well on them. The glue seems in really good shape in there 4th season.

I am on pomoca skins now and the 5 days I had this season were just awesome. Very expensive, I believe I paid 160 with 40% off. Way better uphill and the glue is really nice so far.

G3 does make good skins though and the trim tool is by far the best. Whatever is cheap should last you a few seasons.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

^^^ are you gonna have one of those sweet bone spikes?

HookShot posted:

Personally I prefer Icebreaker to Smartwool, but I appear to be in the minority.

I do love my icebreaker socks and layers but am firmly in the darn tough camp. I mean it’s a lifetime guarantee.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 11, 2019

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I like stance socks! they feel nice with all the ribbing and stuff haw haw

Looks like I'm gonna just miss the little storm in CO :( Always a day late and a dollar short, 6-8" today in breck. i fly in on thursday

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Right now they are calling for some snow next weekend. Still a ways out.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

My friend Matty owns this awesome backcountry house in the basin behind the Telluride ski resort called the Alta Lakes Observatory.

https://www.altalakes.com/

It's got great big lines all around it, a badass kitchen, sleeps a bunch of people, and snowmobiles to haul all of your poo poo in and out. You can also ski in from the resort if that's your thing. And it has the old mining trestle (featured in several ski movies) right outside its front door.

Full rate is $160/night pp if you have 7 people, but I think I get something like a 20-25% discount. Waiting to hear back from him on that. Looking to put together a group for the first week of April when the snowpack has settled.

Just puttin it out there to see if anyone's interested.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot . posted:

My friend Matty owns this awesome backcountry house in the basin behind the Telluride ski resort called the Alta Lakes Observatory.

https://www.altalakes.com/

It's got great big lines all around it, a badass kitchen, sleeps a bunch of people, and snowmobiles to haul all of your poo poo in and out. You can also ski in from the resort if that's your thing. And it has the old mining trestle (featured in several ski movies) right outside its front door.

Full rate is $160/night pp if you have 7 people, but I think I get something like a 20-25% discount. Waiting to hear back from him on that. Looking to put together a group for the first week of April when the snowpack has settled.

Just puttin it out there to see if anyone's interested.

I would be interested, not sure I can commit though with my recovery from surgery.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

spwrozek posted:

I am alive after surgery. Doc said it was very shattered.

At first glance it looked like the doctor gave up, amputated your arm, replaced it with a pillow, and booked it hoping you’d enjoy the drugs too much to notice while he was still in the hospital.

Good luck with the recovery!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

He thought it would make my falls safer, haha.

I thought the same with that photo as well.