Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Points for using Gemworld. Is Amethyst joining Young Justice?

She's the one with pink hair on the cover in the OP.

edit: Here's her variant cover:

Definitely not the same person we had in the N52.

edit:
https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/1081777814813065217
:stare:

edit edit: Speaking of Amethyst
https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/status/1080824492429996032

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I was so distracted by the classic characters and Teen Lantern, I didn’t even notice. With the popularity of Steven Universe and She Ra, it’s a good time for Amethyst.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Who are these two guys in Flash #61, hanging out with the villains in Zandia?

Edit: Thanks to the DC Wikia, I have deduced that they are the Trigger Twins.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I was so distracted by the classic characters and Teen Lantern, I didn’t even notice. With the popularity of Steven Universe and She Ra, it’s a good time for Amethyst.

Cartoon Network made some shorts for her back in 2013, but either they decided there wasn't enough interest to push through a full show or they were worried about there being confusion with Steven Universe because they haven't done more since then. Slipping her in Young Justice is a great idea.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC's on Comixology Unlimited today with a reportedly much better selection than you get with the DC Universe sub (living outside of America, I wouldn't know :()
https://io9.gizmodo.com/dc-comics-is-joining-comixologys-unlimited-subscription-1831573456?IR=T

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

DC's on Comixology Unlimited today with a reportedly much better selection than you get with the DC Universe sub (living outside of America, I wouldn't know :()
https://io9.gizmodo.com/dc-comics-is-joining-comixologys-unlimited-subscription-1831573456?IR=T

It is and has more comics. DC in response to DC Universe users asking about this:

DC is also looking to revising the comics they currently have on the service and how to best put them up. It looks like instead of random issues it will be full arcs or stories from here on out, but it does look like the books on DC Universe do not overlap much with Comixology Unlimited.

Of course the users who post are lapping it up and are thrilled to subscribe to another service to read more DC books! One helpful user even said the the comixology model is the way to go so people will buy dc comics through the subscription service.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 8, 2019

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Or just ignore both paid services and find a local library that does Hoopla with a generous monthly limit and go to town; DC trades show up there the Monday after release.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Thranguy posted:

Or just ignore both paid services and find a local library that does Hoopla with a generous monthly limit and go to town; DC trades show up there the Monday after release.

Can I only read 1 issue and buy the rest through the service? If not this is not for me sir and please stop trolling.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Can I only read 1 issue and buy the rest through the service? If not this is not for me sir and please stop trolling.

Hoopla allows you to check out e-books for three weeks at a time FOR FREE, including entire graphic novels. They have a selection of thousands from all the major publishers, including several hundred DC books (with the New 52 and Rebirth well represented, as well as lots of classics). It is offered by public libraries, so you just register for a free Hoopla account with your library card number, and then your library will have a specific number of checkouts you can do per month. (My system only allows four per month.) You can also keep a list/queue of things to check out later, and they also include streaming movies and music albums with shorter checkout periods.

It's not trolling. It's an incredible free service that has saved me thousands of dollars over the last few years.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hoopla allows you to check out e-books for three weeks at a time FOR FREE, including entire graphic novels. They have a selection of thousands from all the major publishers, including several hundred DC books (with the New 52 and Rebirth well represented, as well as lots of classics). It is offered by public libraries, so you just register for a free Hoopla account with your library card number, and then your library will have a specific number of checkouts you can do per month. (My system only allows four per month.) You can also keep a list/queue of things to check out later, and they also include streaming movies and music albums with shorter checkout periods.

It's not trolling. It's an incredible free service that has saved me thousands of dollars over the last few years.

Hootington was being incredibly sarcastic.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I was smiling so much reading Young Justice #1.

The original series is one of my favourite comic runs, so having these characters back together is just great.

I'm excited to find out where Connors been and how he's back, but just having him back and out of the t-shirt and jeans costume and back to his roots is enough for now.

Roll on #2!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm so glad it was double sized. It was fast moving but also substantive enough that we actually got to meet everyone in a seven person team. Much better for the momentum on a monthly comic than if that was split over two issues.

Little ehh on this month's Green Lantern, but Hal arresting the entire Earth for space-intoxication was funny.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Excited for the YJ crew being back but boy this issue was all over the place. Just like, a massive coincidence that all these people show up at the same time. I do like Amethyst though so hopefully the roughness of that opening issue was just getting the niceties out of the way to get to the meat of what's going on.

All that said god I hate Bendis dialogue. It's like I have to read everything with a stutter.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Is YJ in canon? Or is it a book I should just read and not care about that?

Because the original run is one of my favorite comics ever.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Beerdeer posted:

Is YJ in canon? Or is it a book I should just read and not care about that?

Because the original run is one of my favorite comics ever.

It's canon, though it pretty flagrantly ignores stuff that you think would matter to it with it being canon.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think it's canon? Although it sure looks like it's going to handwave away Conner not existing since Flashpoint. Last time someone brought up the name Conner to Tim he had no idea who that was. Now it seems he remembers him pretty well.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Not to mention Bart never existed in this universe either for the same reason that Wally's so hosed up. I guess they might think he's lovely New 52 Teen Titans Bart in a new outfit but I doubt Bendis cares enough about anything but whatever he's writing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wasn't Bart coming back part of the Flash War thing?

Anyway, Bendis is saying he'll explain everything, but I'm glad issue #1 didn't waste much time in doing that.

edit: And I don't really care if it does. Just be a zippy, fun comic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 9, 2019

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wasn't Bart coming back part of the Flash War thing?

Anyway, Bendis is saying he'll explain everything, but I'm glad issue #1 didn't waste much time in doing that.

edit: And I don't really care if it does. Just be a zippy, fun comic.

Yeah, Bart came back at the end of Flash War but that doesn't explain how anyone knows who he is. He makes no sense in this universe for anyone to know besides Wally and maybe Iris.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yeah, Bart came back at the end of Flash War but that doesn't explain how anyone knows who he is. He makes no sense in this universe for anyone to know besides Wally and maybe Iris.

In rebirth it says that people’s memories can be restored. It happened with the titans and others. Plus tin had all those files on the preflashpoint universe

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

In rebirth it says that people’s memories can be restored. It happened with the titans and others.

Specifically only with Wally's magic zappy touch, which only worked on people who knew him as Kid Flash (it did not work on Linda). No one else has gained memories of stuff that happened in the last universe aside from weird, discordant references. Even Superman got all his poo poo merged back into the new 52 timeline. You can't explain how Bart exists in this universe right now besides "he just kind of survived Flashpoint."

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 9, 2019

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Specifically only with Wally's magic zappy touch, which only worked on people who knew him as Kid Flash (it did not work on Linda). No one else has gained memories of stuff that happened in the last universe aside from weird, discordant references. Even Superman got all his poo poo merged back into the new 52 timeline. You can't explain how Bart exists in this universe right now besides "he just kind of survived Flashpoint."

There's also the bits from Detective Comics where Future Tim did... he did Some poo poo (tm) that I don't recall the details of to show Spoiler and (ugh) Orphan their pre-new-52 timelines; could be some bleedover from that, I don't recall how much he showed Present Tim

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

There's also the bits from Detective Comics where Future Tim did... he did Some poo poo (tm) that I don't recall the details of to show Spoiler and (ugh) Orphan their pre-new-52 timelines; could be some bleedover from that, I don't recall how much he showed Present Tim

I apologize for forgetting this because I did everything in my power to suppress anything Tynion did with Cass and Steph.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There was definitely a reference to Alpha Flight by Bart so I'm gonna wager this is another Earth.

Edit: Death Stroke is still weird, but I hope Death Masque sticks around to continue the chain of pastiches between DC and Marvel

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 10, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

There was definitely a reference to Alpha Flight by Bart so I'm gonna wager this is another Earth.

Nobody knowing where Superman is would also point to them being in the Marvel Universe :hmmyes:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think Young Justice is supposed to be a separate imprint, right? So it must be another Earth...

...At least I hope so, because Conner Kent coming back sets off all kinds of alarms in my head that something bad might happen to Jon Kent (besides being written by Bendis heyoooo :rimshot:) because DC doesn't like multiple characters using one hero name.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Almost positive the Wonder Comics aren't off in their own continuity. It's regular Earth (except that they're all in nightmare land Gemworld at the end of the book), and something has already happened to Jon. He grew into a late-teen/young-adult in his time off in space. Super-adolescent.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 10, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know that, I meant something bad. Like dying, or a heel turn, or getting back on that ship and heading to space forever; something that'd eliminate the (non-)issue of having two Superboys around

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/status/1083212082399432704

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Teenage Fansub posted:

Almost positive the Wonder Comics aren't off in their own continuity. It's regular Earth (except that they're all in nightmare land Gemworld at the end of the book), and something has already happened to Jon. He grew into a late-teen/young-adult in his time off in space. Super-adolescent.

Hadn't been following that closely but drat that seems like a shame. I think there's more than enough room in the DCU for Conner and Jon, but it would have worked best with Connor as the cool older brother/cousin and Jon as the impressionable younger kid who idolizes the hell out of him.

Anyway, yeah. Young Justice was one of my favorite books Back In The Day, so I read the first issue of this with a big ol goofy grin on my face. I know people are bearish on Bendis these days, but I figure Ultimate Spiderman bought him a lifetime's worth of benefit of the doubt from me so I'm looking forward to seeing where this all goes.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
What's going on with Martian Manhunter, what's with all the words words words words words in front of the gorgeous (and deeply unsettling) art.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Half of the questions will never be answered

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Every question I ever had is not answered in one issue of Young Justice therefore

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
A Crisis to bring back the pre-New 52 continuity incoming? Dope. I love how bad editorial choices are elaborated on in the actual stories as a way for DC to do self-therapy and fix their issues like too many universes by the 80s, the grim-dark tones, and now the ridding itself of all legacy characters to go back to the silver and bronze age status quos. The growing next generation was always the more interesting parts of DC, and I'm glad its returning. Throwing everything into the recycle bin, as a story tool, is something they do very well. But, maybe I'm not jaded on all this yet. :kiddo:

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

The next generation will just continue to atrophy under the silver age gen that has and will continue to dominate comics until the comics section folds. Wally was the only one to even get out from under that in any significant way and look where he's been the last 15 years.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
It's really sad reading the first arc of Young justice '98 when Bart, Tim, and Connor find themselves in the old Justice League HQ and wonder if maybe they can be as great as the silver age. Like someone piping in at that moment and being "Two of you will be deader than gently caress and one of you may as well be, sorry!" could have created a new super villain trio and another Crisis because what happened to them is so, so cruel. :smith:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

With Bart back, I hope Max, jessie, and jay come back soon. They rule.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

?

Anyway, Bendis is saying he'll explain everything,

Ahahahahaha

enigmahfc posted:

Every question I ever had is not answered in one issue of Young Justice therefore

Bendis left dangling plot threads from the Clinton administration when he left Marvel.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Bendis left dangling plot threads from the Clinton administration when he left Marvel.

I find this hyperbolic but also hilarious, gj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

With Bart back, I hope Max, jessie, and jay come back soon. They rule.

Bart's back because Bendis wanted to us him. Jay will be back because Johns wants to use him.

Max and Jessie coming back is probably not gonna happen, and if it does it'll be the most watered down versions of them imaginable under Williamson's pen.