Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Or just put on the Food Network. Unless someone in your family really hates red velvet cake or truffle oil you're probably golden.
Weirdly enough I tried that last night while I was working on something but for some reason they were doing a marathon of Worst Cooks in America and Anne Burrell's voice ruined that plan. I don't understand at all why she is a Food Network personality; she doesn't seem to be that talented of a chef or have much in the way of accomplishments nor is she particularly nice to look at or listen to on television with a big marketable personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

purple death ray posted:

This is why God invented Lofi Beats To Study And Chill youtube channels, hth

Chilledcow rescued my Christmas.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Pick posted:

British humor loving sucks. Brits aren't funny, and you only spend your teens laughing because you don't realize the episode where someone has a horrible opinion but sticks to it is supposed to be relatable because it was for brits who have bad opinions and wish they still ruled other countries despite being dumbasses

On the other hand, laughing at failed imperialists is good.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

NorgLyle posted:

Weirdly enough I tried that last night while I was working on something but for some reason they were doing a marathon of Worst Cooks in America and Anne Burrell's voice ruined that plan. I don't understand at all why she is a Food Network personality; she doesn't seem to be that talented of a chef or have much in the way of accomplishments nor is she particularly nice to look at or listen to on television with a big marketable personality.

At least she isn't Sandra Bullock's sister who has a show solely because of her famous sibling and has all the charm of a spiked dog collar.

I don't think I've ever seen a cold detached baker. Sous chef? Sure. Baker? They're supposed to be warm and fuzzy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

NorgLyle posted:

She's fallen into the Guy Fieri problem of her hair becoming her only personality trait and selling point.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, the ABC shows are a good choice. If you want to inject a little controversy you can always include Blackish.

Or just put on the Food Network. Unless someone in your family really hates red velvet cake or truffle oil you're probably golden.

Modern Family did jump out at me as one of the more recent ones of these, but even that's been going on for ten years now; it sorta feels like 'the last one that's still going on'. I can't speak for any of the other ABC stuff, though, because I actually live in Australia where that stuff's all scattered and I haven't seen most of it.

I found a good run of shows on something like Discovery is great for it, too, if what you want is 'inoffensive background' and 'comedy' doesn't really factor in. Mythbusters or something like that is perfect.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

BgRdMchne posted:

the last britcom i saw was 'allo 'allo

For a show that consisted almost entirely of catch-phrases, that one was pretty excellent.

Turns out it was also specifically a parody of a particular serious dramatic British/Belgian series from the late 70s. This series showed up on Norwegian TV at one point while I was in university (so long after 'Allo 'allo!) and I tried to watch an episode but wasn't able to take it seriously. I mean, the mere idea of resistance people trying to smuggle shot-down British airmen out of occupied territory... nah, can't be done.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

British humor loving sucks. Brits aren't funny, and you only spend your teens laughing because you don't realize the episode where someone has a horrible opinion but sticks to it is supposed to be relatable because it was for brits who have bad opinions and wish they still ruled other countries despite being dumbasses

I can't understand them. Why do half the words have a silent "t?"

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Despite airing in the classic seasons, The Simpsons episode "The Old Man and the Lisa" ending with Lisa letting Mr Burns keep the ten million dollars is real dumb.

Also lol that the episode won some environmental award despite pretty openly mocking left wing ideals.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Despite airing in the classic seasons, The Simpsons episode "The Old Man and the Lisa" ending with Lisa letting Mr Burns keep the ten million dollars is real dumb.

Also lol that the episode won some environmental award despite pretty openly mocking left wing ideals.

Lisa-centric episodes in general tend to be weak, I guess it is hard to write good episodes about her and her ideals?

Seem that even originally, Lisa was usually written as (sometimes poorly informed) idealistic self-appointed moral authority who mostly wins by annoying people to resignation. For example, in another "classic era" episode she ruined a perfectly normal BBQ event for selfish reasons just because she wanted everyone to stop eating meat, and was a real jerk about it. I think the mood in the episode was on side of Lisa, which I think was a bit odd choice.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Drunk Nerds posted:

I can't understand them. Why do half the words have a silent "t?"

Because that's t'way t'language works.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

Lisa-centric episodes in general tend to be weak, I guess it is hard to write good episodes about her and her ideals?

Seem that even originally, Lisa was usually written as (sometimes poorly informed) idealistic self-appointed moral authority who mostly wins by annoying people to resignation. For example, in another "classic era" episode she ruined a perfectly normal BBQ event for selfish reasons just because she wanted everyone to stop eating meat, and was a real jerk about it. I think the mood in the episode was on side of Lisa, which I think was a bit odd choice.

"The Old Man and the Lisa" was written by probably best writer John Swartzwelder, who was pretty Libertarian and supposedly not a fan of writing Lisa/Marge stuff, so it's possible he made an episode mocking Lisa and her ideals and nobody realised.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

That one ends with her realising she was a jerk and apologising to her dad

The classic Lisa episode that was weird to me was Homer steals Cable for being so overtly religious. I'm from godless commieland so the "so you've decided to steal cable" pamphlet made the stronger case.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Der Kyhe posted:

Lisa the Vegetarian is sort of an interesting episode like that, because it was fairly vegetarian-friendly and respectful at a time when society and media generally wasn't. Lisa's still not perfect because she's kind of insufferable for admittedly good reasons, which you can kinda get from some people, but overall the episode's really respectful of vegetarianism. This actually might've been in part because when Paul and Linda McCartney agreed to guest, they only did it on the condition that they make Lisa a vegetarian permanently, which meant that it (perhaps rightfully) couldn't be a total punchline.

The show has had a weirdly dim view of Lisa in the long run, though. There's this low-key but constant theme that she gets slapped down for aiming higher, or for having ideals, because Springfield around her just doesn't reward goodness or competency.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

The show has had a weirdly dim view of Lisa in the long run, though. There's this low-key but constant theme that she gets slapped down for aiming higher, or for having ideals, because Springfield around her just doesn't reward goodness or competency.

Maybe if she was a level-five vegan.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bitterandtwisted posted:

The classic Lisa episode that was weird to me was Homer steals Cable for being so overtly religious. I'm from godless commieland so the "so you've decided to steal cable" pamphlet made the stronger case.

A commercial television show isn't going to be pro-piracy.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It's pretty woke in hindsight that capitalists are not going to do anything other than gleefully destroy the environment for profit and put a smiling marketable face on it and refuse to understand what's wrong.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A commercial television show isn't going to be pro-piracy.

It's on a broadcast network, though. :shrug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's on a broadcast network, though. :shrug:

I presume Fox channels want to make money for showing Simpsons rerun marathons. Futurama had a heavy-handed ridiculous anti-piracy episode too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I reckon there's a lot of money to be made in recycling.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

On a similar note, I find it distasteful in later episode "The Father, the Son, and the Holy Guest Star" that Marge becomes very hostile towards Bart and Homer because they are contemplating on their personal religious views.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I presume Fox channels want to make money for showing Simpsons rerun marathons. Futurama had a heavy-handed ridiculous anti-piracy episode too.

I don't think that was the case when the episode came out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Obviously the media companies are against it but I'm pretty sure plenty of individual artists are against piracy as well. :shrug:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One thing I’ve noticed shows do less is have the families go to church at all. Usually there will be a church for a wedding, but I’m sure that’s most likely due to less people going to church now.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The whole conflict around going to church on Sunday was so weird to me as a kid, because the typical Israeli family (at the time, at least, and as depicted on TV) would go to synagogue at most for special occasions like a Bar Mitzvah.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

When the Lisa-Homer relationship is written well, it's one of my favorite things about the Simpsons.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lisa is the worst Simpson. Right behind Snowball 2.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think that was the case when the episode came out.

It aired in February 1991. One of the jokes was that by cutting cable, they'd be missing out on the Atlanta Braves. Who were awful at that time.

In contrast, Lisa's Substitute is a classic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Der Kyhe posted:

On a similar note, I find it distasteful in later episode "The Father, the Son, and the Holy Guest Star" that Marge becomes very hostile towards Bart and Homer because they are contemplating on their personal religious views.

There's also the episode where Homer can't be arsed going to church and decides to explore his own spirituality that comes off as pretty hostile to non-organised religion. The one where Marge is imagining herself with the WASPs in Protestant Heaven and Bart and Homer with the Irish and Mexicans in Catholic Heaven is kinda funny.

Kinda weird thing is that originally Reverend Lovejoy and his church were written and designed to be very generic American Christianity with no clear denomination, and eventually made into a fictional one that identifies with Protestantism.

Pastry of the Year posted:

When the Lisa-Homer relationship is written well, it's one of my favorite things about the Simpsons.

It's kinda funny that the better Simpsons parental relationships aren't what you expect; Homer and Bart can team up well to raise hell, but for the most part Bart just gets on Homer's nerves. (figures they only get along when Bart's mischief is directed towards someone else) And Marge tries to bond with Lisa but Lisa tends to find Marge boring and unambitious. But while Homer is often bored and confused by Lisa, his enthusiasm and her curiosity lead them on some really fun adventures, while Marge is about the only person who has any faith in Bart and can really motivate him to do better.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lisa the Vegetarian and Old Man and the Lisa are not classic period Simpsons, they're season 7 and 8. They're both good seasons but Lisa was already very far from her character in the first 4 seasons, where she was less science and rationality and more of a general seeker of enlightenment who was just as spiritual as she was book smart. Season 1 and 2 Lisa is one of the best characters in the entire run of the show and it's a real shame that she was turned into a reddit atheist

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobjr posted:

One thing I’ve noticed shows do less is have the families go to church at all. Usually there will be a church for a wedding, but I’m sure that’s most likely due to less people going to church now.

As I understand it, church attendance is down overall, but whether or not it's actually noticeable depends on where you live. I was reading an article a while ago that a number of churches (mainly Baptist churches) in inner London which had fairly low attendance for many years before experiencing a fairly sudden resurgence in congregation sizes as a consequence of immigration (primarily, if I recall correctly, from western Africa).

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda weird thing is that originally Reverend Lovejoy and his church were written and designed to be very generic American Christianity with no clear denomination, and eventually made into a fictional one that identifies with Protestantism.

They kinda randomly throw in some Catholic stuff when they feel like it though. I get the sense (well, it's kinda just common sense I guess) that the original writers were more knowledgeable about American church culture because it was a bigger thing back then, and newer writers only have second- and third- hand knowledge of it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I remember back then going to church was basically just what you did on Sunday mornings. I was less than 10 years old, so for me it was just being a lovely kid around other lovely kids (because my brother was younger he got to go to the very young kids room), throw in a dose of christian singalongs and maybe a little bit of bible stories and then it was time to go home.

I really didn't mind it until I turned about 10 and was bored as hell reading from the bible (or one time I got yelled at for dropping a bible). Then I was jealous of my dad because he didn't have to go and could stay home for Football. I was very happy to stay home sick and I could watch weird cartoons that never came on any other days.

Strangely enough around 12/13 I liked going to youth group, probably because I was entering the horny teen phase, just like everyone else around me there. Sneaking out of there when no one was looking is how I learned the basics of skateboarding.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

They kinda randomly throw in some Catholic stuff when they feel like it though. I get the sense (well, it's kinda just common sense I guess) that the original writers were more knowledgeable about American church culture because it was a bigger thing back then, and newer writers only have second- and third- hand knowledge of it.

Lovejoy has a Catholic style collar from the start, at least at first the ambiguity was deliberate.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
The “Catholic style” collar is used by a lot of mainline Protestant denominations as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anglican vicars wear them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Simpsons wrapped back around and did an episode mocking the MPAA regarding movie piracy, half a decade ago in Season 25. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steal_This_Episode

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lovejoy has a Catholic style collar from the start, at least at first the ambiguity was deliberate.

Reverend Lovejoy has a wife who he has sex with and a child.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Reverend Lovejoy has a wife who he has sex with and a child.

So, I fixed it to be catholic

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Is Lisa still Buddhist? I would have thought that would have gotten some outrage if a kid on a show had a big spiritual change like that and started practicing a non-Christian religion and didn’t go to church as a permanent story change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

conservative outrage is fleeting, once they find something new to bitch about they'll rarely go back to an old target unless it's continually political and spitting in their faces

there's probably a drug analogy to be made about having to chase new highs because of diminishing returns on the same outrage target