Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Eye trauma is something I always have to flinch away from, but Fulci's work makes me watch it. It's just so good it loops around my phobia and becomes impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just like how finding out Rob Zombie was literally raised in a travelling carnival that disintegrated in a bloosoaked riot pretty much explains his entire oeuvre I keep waiting for the revelation that Fulci's dad was an incompetent opthalmic surgeon with really shakey hands.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Windows 98 posted:

Monster from Bird Box that was cut from the film

I can't fault Sandra Bullock from not being able to keep a straight face when she saw it.

And as much as I would've liked to've joined in the January viewing, work has been absolutely slammed with everyone on mandatory overtime for the month that I'm already fried barely second week in. Bleh...

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Davros1 posted:

I remember watching "Without Warning" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111735/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_47 on CBS when it first aired. It's a series of fake news reports about an entire town vanishing, a meteor coming to Earth, and all sorts of strange going ons that might just be aliens.

Whole thing seems to be on the Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89u81khMVyc

watching this now and i was NOT expecting john de lancie out of nowhere. my working theory is that Q set these dang fires

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Windows 98 posted:

Be vewy vewy quiet. I'm hunting Sandwa Buwwocks, hehehehehe.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Karloff posted:

the DVD is also apparently in a cropped 16:9.

Wtf, really?

MetalPriestess
May 18, 2011

Thank you to whoever recommended the Supercontext podcast! I've been enjoying listening to it at work, especially the episode about Carpenter's apocalypse trilogy. What are some other good podcasts that talk about horror? Or movies in general.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

M_Sinistrari posted:

And as much as I would've liked to've joined in the January viewing, work has been absolutely slammed with everyone on mandatory overtime for the month that I'm already fried barely second week in. Bleh...

I'm really just following along and watching a movie here and there when it suits me. Not every challenge has to be a record breaker you know!

I've watched 2 so far, probably will end up around 10-12 but hey, that's 10 great horror movies that I've never seen before.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

How about everything but the head exploding?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EkN8WtFTpE&t=799s

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

MetalPriestess posted:

Thank you to whoever recommended the Supercontext podcast! I've been enjoying listening to it at work, especially the episode about Carpenter's apocalypse trilogy. What are some other good podcasts that talk about horror? Or movies in general.

How Did This Get Made

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

MetalPriestess posted:

We Hate Movies. They do a horror month every October.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MetalPriestess posted:

Faculties of Horror is the best horror movie podcast
Nameless Cults is a good podcast by former goon Uncle Boogeyman. It’s also good.

Movies in general:

Unspooled
We Hate Movies
Filmstruck podcast

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

MetalPriestess posted:

This Is Horror is good. More focused on written horror, but they talk about movies too.

What I love the most about Supercontext's horror episodes is the dynamic between the hosts. There's the guy who writes and consumes horror extensively, and the other one who really can't watch or read anything horror anymore and is genuinely frigthened by it, but soldiers through them anyway.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ramadu posted:

watching this now and i was NOT expecting john de lancie out of nowhere. my working theory is that Q set these dang fires

I always pop for Ernie Anastos.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Origami Dali posted:

Wtf, really?

According to Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004YJZBJI?pf_rd_p=338d5482-a910-4f62-b1e2-a66912b500ea&pf_rd_r=CNF7ENC3GY7XQE7MKRAY though that might be wrong. This is also the Region 2 UK version so it might be a different case for the US Region 1.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

MetalPriestess posted:

Seconding Faculty of Horror and Nameless Cults. I also quite like Evolution of Horror. Each season is on a different subgenre. So far they’ve done slashers, ghost movies and folk horror.

I used to listen to How Did This Get Made and We Hate Movies but soured on both. The first because of the endless confused screaming and the second because of the feigned outrage.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

Seconding Faculty of Horror and Nameless Cults. I also quite like Evolution of Horror. Each season is on a different subgenre. So far they’ve done slashers, ghost movies and folk horror.

I used to listen to How Did This Get Made and We Hate Movies but soured on both. The first because of the endless confused screaming and the second because of the feigned outrage.

HDTGM and WHM are both occasional listens for me for this very reason. HDTGM has comedy as their main objective, so they play dumb and confused a lot and spoil a lot of moments that would be a fun surprise for a first-time viewer. WHM's run-length and fake outrage are also exhausting, but they at least pay attention to the movies and make actual criticisms. Their episode on The Butterfly Effect is great, as are all the episodes about the Friday the 13th series, but those are older episodes, too.

Evolution of Horror is new to me. I'll check that one out.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

HDTGM and WHM are both occasional listens for me for this very reason. HDTGM has comedy as their main objective, so they play dumb and confused a lot and spoil a lot of moments that would be a fun surprise for a first-time viewer. WHM's run-length and fake outrage are also exhausting, but they at least pay attention to the movies and make actual criticisms. Their episode on The Butterfly Effect is great, as are all the episodes about the Friday the 13th series, but those are older episodes, too.

Evolution of Horror is new to me. I'll check that one out.

It’s weird because I never totally hated WHM or HDTGM, I just stopped enjoying them enough to keep going. I remember HDTGM’s Monkey Shines and Sleepaway Camp episodes being very good. WHMs Tuff Turf episode is a classic as well.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I listen to HDTGM occasionally because they're generally funny. I don't dig a lot of movie critique podcasts because most of them fall into the categories of "this is how I'd do it, which would be better" or just getting performatively mad.

Nameless Cults is a dope podcast though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Supercontext is a fascinating approach.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

MetalPriestess posted:

the episode on The Shape of Punk to Come incited a day long debate with my gf and i

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 8, 2019

MetalPriestess
May 18, 2011

Thanks for all the recommendations! I will check out all of those. This thread is seriously the best.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

david_a posted:

are you guys not counting The Beyond because the entire head doesn't explode?

I feel like it deserves an honorable mention at least. The glob of brains flying forward when the head snaps back is pretty great

That looks pretty bad to be honest.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

s.i.r.e. posted:

Oh yeah? Well YOU look pretty bad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

It works a lot better as a still photo actually, I've seen it used in articles about The Beyond and it's always an attention grabber. In motion it's much easier to tell that the head is made of rubber because it kinda folds over in that way that rubber does.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Basebf555 posted:

It works a lot better as a still photo actually, I've seen it used in articles about The Beyond and it's always an attention grabber. In motion it's much easier to tell that the head is made of rubber because it kinda folds over in that way that rubber does.

I actually like the extreme motion of it. I think it makes it scan a bit more graphic than it would otherwise. The only weak part of the effect for me is the eyes, but a looping gif doesn’t quite play the same way as a quick cut for little details like that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Fart City posted:

I actually like the extreme motion of it. I think it makes it scan a bit more graphic than it would otherwise. The only weak part of the effect for me is the eyes, but a looping gif doesn’t quite play the same way as a quick cut for little details like that.
Yeah, I never noticed the eyes were that bad until I found the gif. In the movie you don’t have time to really see them when it cuts to the shot.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

LesterGroans posted:

Nameless Cults is a dope podcast though.

you cant go wrong with this one

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Really, really was not expecting to come back to school to find a bunch of eleven year olds talking about their favorite film Birdbox and walking around the hallway with scarves around their eyes doing the Birdbox challenge.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

Really, really was not expecting to come back to school to find a bunch of eleven year olds talking about their favorite film Birdbox and walking around the hallway with scarves around their eyes doing the Birdbox challenge.

Guess I have to watch this now.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Even the name "Bird Box" makes me irrationally angry now. I will never, ever watch that movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

Bird Box sucks rear end
This should be the thread title, honestly

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Windows 98 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQinMIF485k

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
So birdbox challenge is def an astroturfed trend by netflix to shore up their turd movie, yes?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

Guess I have to watch this now.

lol

Whoops.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the bird box challenge is to sit through the movie and think "this was a good way to spend more than two hours"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It’s really a remarkable waste of talented actors.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
I love Bird Box the book, because infinite cosmic horrors seem pretty fuckin' scary. Movie... meh. There was stuff that just didn't make sense in the context of the movie, too many characters, etc. And that monster design is something else.

Also, I joined the discord, hi

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I decided to give that Hulu Into the Dark episode Pooka! a try. Never thought I'd see a blend of A Christmas Carol with Jacob's Ladder , so of course it's getting added to my holiday viewing as long as it's available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm thinking of dropping a little money on horror.

Is this thing worth the price? 30 films. Obviously a bunch of classics in there and I'm leaning towards it but not totally sure.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L8QP082/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Also can anyone tell what the difference between these two is? Did I just find some weird Amazon bug or are they just different printings of the same thing that weirdly got priced differently? Obviously I won't buy either if I decide to buy the big one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H45YSO/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A18YXWJH0T98I6&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Mo...7PNK7YFCJQYBZ69

I figure its worth spending money to get the classics I haven't seen, but I'm always a little weary about these big box sets that I'm going to get bad quality or a bunch of discs thrown in a bag all scratched up or something. Or with stuff like this there's often a "bad version" and "the right version." I figured you guys would know if one of these was a "bad" set.