Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

Anyone here played Fate/EXTELLA Umbral Star? It's on the PSN's new year's sale, and I was thinking of picking it up for an on-the-go game. So, two questions:
1. Is it fun for a Dynasty Warrior's clone?
2. Is the version on the PSN downloadable on the Vita? I can't find anything conclusive, even though I know it was technically released for both systems.

I had a lot of fun with it. Admittedly I already really like a lot of the Servants in the game (Altera, Nero, Medusa) but that carried me through what is a competent enough game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wavers a dork

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i could easily beat him up

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

shameless repost

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I think that there are few kinds of game more suited for showing the raw, ludicrous power of Servants than a Dynasty Warriors clone (what is an anti-army Noble Phantasm without an army to remove?), so the Extella series does have its place in Fate gaming canon, but yeah, I think everyone's waiting for Nasu to have a long conversation with Arc System Works.

I'm just not a huge fan of dynasty warriors. Too button mashy, really. The gameplay was, like in Extra, basically just there to fill space and be pushed through as fast as possible so I could get to the stuff I cared about again. I'm not saying it shouldn't exist, but it's not for me. :shrug:

It had reasonably nice presentation, though.

I'd be excited if something with gameplay more along the lines of Devil May Cry or Persona (for opposite ends of the gameplay pacing spectrum :v:) came out.

Or hey, take a page from Battle Moon Wars and make a turn based strategy game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Just when I thought they couldn't top last month's Emiya Gohan scene of Berserker getting cookies...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Thuryl posted:

He's pretty mediocre at the actual "using magic" part of being a mage, it's that being good at magic isn't really all it's cracked up to be. If Nasuverse mages weren't mostly a bunch of idiots chasing power that's more likely to get them killed than to achieve anything useful, they wouldn't be mages.

Don't forget that he's also considered to be the sexiest Professor in the Clock Tower.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dr Pepper posted:

Don't forget that he's also considered to be the sexiest Professor in the Clock Tower.

Helps that he's neither a child nor an old man.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

shameless repost

Is this... Charlotte's Web?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Dr Pepper posted:

BIG
BEN
LONDON

STAR

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so I started Grand Order because all my friends are into it. Ended up drawing five star Ozymandias on my second 10-summoning.

anyway I'm to Orleans and it's weird to be introduced to a Jeanne Alter when I barely know anything about the normal one.

Musashi's event was fun though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Congrats, Ozymandias is one of the best Servants in the game so that was a nice bit of luck. (Unfortunately due to being a later release some of his level up requirements are gated behind later story chapters)

Also there's a dedicated thread for Grand Order in games so you can head there to ask for advice or Friends if you want:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823670&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

so I started Grand Order because all my friends are into it. Ended up drawing five star Ozymandias on my second 10-summoning.

anyway I'm to Orleans and it's weird to be introduced to a Jeanne Alter when I barely know anything about the normal one.

Musashi's event was fun though.

It's okay, Jalter radically changes by the next time you'll see her. :v:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

Congrats, Ozymandias is one of the best Servants in the game so that was a nice bit of luck. (Unfortunately due to being a later release some of his level up requirements are gated behind later story chapters)

Also there's a dedicated thread for Grand Order in games so you can head there to ask for advice or Friends if you want:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823670&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Thanks.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It occurs to me that Rin in Extra is Rin from FSN's niece, making her Sakura's daughter, but she still looks exactly like Rin. :psyduck:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

It occurs to me that Rin in Extra is Rin from FSN's niece, making her Sakura's daughter, but she still looks exactly like Rin. :psyduck:

iirc wasn't it noted at some point that sakura would have looked more like rin if it weren't for the mattous' torture

~how the torture managed to change her hair color, eye color, height, general appearance, who knows

magic etc.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
There's art of dark-haired Sakura floating around somewhere.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

iirc wasn't it noted at some point that sakura would have looked more like rin if it weren't for the mattous' torture

~how the torture managed to change her hair color, eye color, height, general appearance, who knows

magic etc.

I mean, she's literally host to a magical bug colony. That'll alter you a bit.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Cuntellectual posted:

Extra Rin is blonde.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, she's literally host to a magical bug colony. That'll alter you a bit.

Kariya Matou disagrees.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
are you sure

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

Kariya Matou disagrees.

Dude's got white hair, he's almost there

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

McTimmy posted:

There's art of dark-haired Sakura floating around somewhere.

I like to point out that this is actually a plot hole. Sakura has black hair drawn as purple now, but before Zouken changed it her hair was...also black.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
kariya also had his bug phase as a grown adult which has to limit the amount of visual changes

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Shirou: Not injected by bugs, had his Saber turn Alter.
Rin: Not injected by bugs, her Archer (who is also a hypothetical future version of Shirou) turned Alter in FGO.
Sakura & Kariya: Injected by bugs, Lancelot and Medusa have never gone Alter.

Clearly, bugs do not alter you at all.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Rin: Not injected by bugs, her Archer (who is also a hypothetical future version of Shirou) turned Alter in FGO.

Medusa Lancer Alter was the main antagonist of the First Order OVA!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I like to point out that this is actually a plot hole. Sakura has black hair drawn as purple now, but before Zouken changed it her hair was...also black.
What?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the shot of sakura in the pit has her hair already purple but I'd place that as just being a small detail they forgot for zero

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's probably more important to make sure viewers recognize her.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Didn't they actually show her with black hair and green eyes before being sold to the Matous at the very beginning of Zero or did my brain make that up?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
In the old Deen adaptation as well I believe, though it's been a while since I watched it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm starting to think I need to see the Deen version just to see what poo poo they threw in there

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

I'm starting to think I need to see the Deen version just to see what poo poo they threw in there

If I remember right.... the whole thing is pretty faithful Fate route adaption, until the part in Fate where Caster attacks Shiro's house only to be unceremoniously killed by Gilgamesh who then becomes final boss. In Deen anime, there is no Gilgamesh so Caster manages to capture Saber and Sakura, who is revealed to be mage, Rin's sister and Lesser Grail all at once. Caster then escapes with the intention of using Sakura to manifest Grail ( Sakura is also both unconcious and in her Dark Sakura costume from this point until anime ends). Shiro somehow projects Archers swords in meanwhile and gets on the level of UBW Shiro. Then he and Rin storm Caster's hideout in the same way as in UBW (only with no Lancer alliance and no Lancer vs. Archer fight, becouse Archer was already killed by Berserker) and their fight against Caster and Kuzuki also happens almost exactly like in UBW, except the one ambushing Caster and Kuzuki in the end is Gilgamesh, not Archer. Gilgamesh lets them go, Shiro recontracts with Saber, they save Sakura and the whole thing continues to be pretty much 1:1 Fate route adaption from that point onwards.

It's been like 10 years since I last saw Deen anime, so a lot of details might be wrong, but that's the gist of it. So please don't watch really lovely 10+ years old anime.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
She's not in her Dark Sakura outfit lol, she's in

poo poo

let me look up a picture

Sindai posted:

Didn't they actually show her with black hair and green eyes before being sold to the Matous at the very beginning of Zero or did my brain make that up?

They show her with black hair and teal eyes in the first episode; Aurora is wrong.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 9, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wow. That could almost be her Psylocke from the X-Men cosplay.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I said it was so long ago that I almost certainly got a lot of details wrong. :v:

In this case I think I was be better off not remembering the abomination she was actually wearing.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
I don't think Caster captures Saber in the Deen anime because I know they manage to squeeze in the second Saber/Kojiro fight in there somewhere as well.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Nah, I'm pretty sure she was the one who got Sakura wear that ridiculous outfit. Her hideout was some weird Greek Ruin dimension thing instead of Ryuuda (?) Temple becouse reasons, so there might be Saber vs. Kojiro rematch stuck there somewhere.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1082811950508187653

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.

Cuntellectual posted:

That's because Extra Rin isn't Sakura's daughter. Extraverse Tokomi either cheated on Aoi with another woman/had an affair before marrying Aoi, I can't remember which, and that woman's daughter with Tokomi has a daughter herself, who is Extra Rin.

So she's still Rin's niece, but not via Sakura.