Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ka0 posted:

Everytime I target someone with Granzon they have some panic moment, like "oh poo poo it's the Granzon, I'm hosed!" or "I cannot match the Granzon", it feels as if I'm flying around with an endboss, indiscriminately pummeling down every grunt (and occasionally boss).

Because you are. Shu and the Granzon have been end or superbosses in more than one SRW game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Speaking of surprise twists where Trusty Shu Shirakawa turns out to be the final boss, here's my OG Gaiden writeup!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Because you are. Shu and the Granzon have been end or superbosses in more than one SRW game.

What else do you expect from DIO BRANDO.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Hokuto posted:

Speaking of surprise twists where Trusty Shu Shirakawa turns out to be the final boss, here's my OG Gaiden writeup!

So let me get this straight. Shu's backstory from Alpha had to be rewritten for OG GBA, because he shows up in Antarctica and pulls a number on the Earth federation too. Was he still pretending to be in cahoots with Brian Zoldark just enough to bankrupt the DC before bailing out? Although compared to what he pulled from Volkruss later on that is nothing really.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Ka0 posted:

So let me get this straight. Shu's backstory from Alpha had to be rewritten for OG GBA, because he shows up in Antarctica and pulls a number on the Earth federation too. Was he still pretending to be in cahoots with Brian Zoldark just enough to bankrupt the DC before bailing out? Although compared to what he pulled from Volkruss later on that is nothing really.

Shu seems to respect Bian - and only Bian - but the OG-verse DC were villains who were always supposed to fail. The writers didn't need to use Shu as an excuse to write them out of the plot this time.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ka0 posted:

Shu and Bian were friends to the very end. Bian asked Shu to bear witness to his final moments without interfering, and that's exactly what Shu did. When Shu caused the Antarctic Incident, it was with Bian's blessing. He never betrayed Bian's DC.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bring back Bian dammit.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I'd rather Ingram Plissken make a comeback. Have it be some sort of clone the Balmars had lying in storage or whatever. I just found a pilot BGM that is very similar to Time Diver and put it on Ing.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Maybe when I'm done with Super Hero Sakusen, I can write up a deep dive on Ingram. That'll take a lot of research though.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’ve never been sure how OG Ingram fit into the whole Time Diver thing.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ethiser posted:

I’ve never been sure how OG Ingram fit into the whole Time Diver thing.

I'm pretty sure the phrase "Time Diver" is just there for his track name because the events of Super Hero Sakusen send him back in time from the age of space colonies in NCE 195 to the age of kaiju and aliens in NCE 155.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Hokuto posted:

I'm pretty sure the phrase "Time Diver" is just there for his track name because the events of Super Hero Sakusen send him back in time from the age of space colonies in NCE 195 to the age of kaiju and aliens in NCE 155.

What on Earth.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Hokuto posted:

Yup. If anything, the wiki says his actual title/alias is Emissary of the Void (虚空の使者, as in the BGM), which is someone who serves as a guardian of causality across the multiverse. He passes on the title and the job to Cobray in Alpha 3, which is how he unlocks the Dis Astranagant.

And, if my memory doesn't fail me, Keysar Ephes recognizes Cobray as being the Emissary of the Void in their battle convo.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ethiser posted:

What on Earth.

It gets better.

You know Howard from Gundam Wing? No? He's an engineer who roams through space salvaging debris. He picks up Ingram at one point, and Ingram has amnesia. They quickly find that he's a capable PT pilot and technician both, and he's the only one able to restore the broken-down R-Gun they found on the moon to working order.

One day Howard calls Ingram in for a briefing. He doesn't like this whole "Ultimate Gundam" thing that the Neo Japan Colony is building. He thinks it's overkill for colonial liberation, and there won't be an Earth to make peace with if the Ultimate Gundam goes out of control. So he dispatches Ingram to Neo Japan to destroy it.

Ingram: Do we even have a weapon capable of putting a dent in that thing?
Howard: Well, you know the R-Gun inside and out, so if anyone can pull it off, it's you.
Ingram: I just fixed up that wreck you salvaged on the moon!

Basically, Ingram as a protagonist is great, it's a completely different character from what we're used to. Anyway, long story short, he infiltrates Neo Japan way too easily (as he notes to himself), and when he finds the Ultimate Gundam, for some reason he freezes up and starts shaking uncontrollably. He can't figure out why, but he recognizes this thing. While he's lying low trying to get his shaking under control, the whole prelude to G Gundam plays out right in front of him, and Kyoji gets sent off in what's now the Devil Gundam.

He and the Wing boys all follow the Devil Gundam to Earth in an extremely impromptu Operation Meteor he never meant to be part of, and it's during their hunt for it that they all get sent back in time 40 years. So the crux of Super Hero Sakusen is Ingram working with some Ultraman teams and others to deal with the kaiju of their time while also tracking the Devil Gundam down. After some disasters happen, their group rebrands itself as the Gaia Sabers.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Brunom1 posted:

Yup. If anything, the wiki says his actual title/alias is Emissary of the Void (虚空の使者, as in the BGM), which is someone who serves as a guardian of causality across the multiverse. He passes on the title and the job to Cobray in Alpha 3, which is how he unlocks the Dis Astranagant.

And, if my memory doesn't fail me, Keysar Ephes recognizes Cobray as being the Emissary of the Void in their battle convo.

Is he a summon in Tales of Symphonia? I distinctly remember hearing "Emissary of the Dark Abyss" on loop.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Hokuto posted:

Pure Insanity

This is the kind of craziness I come to SRW for.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I straight tried to look up Ingram to get more of a refresher on his backstory (at least in OG1), and it led me on a ten minute rabbit hole with Cobray, Euzzeth, Astranagants, etc, etc, etc.

You know, maybe they really should have saved Euzzeth for the very, very last OG game for the amount of insane, paranoid planning this man put in

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Hokuto posted:

You mention the Wendigo Incident in there, but I don't think you ever explain what happened during it. Did I miss something?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

MarsDragon posted:

You mention the Wendigo Incident in there, but I don't think you ever explain what happened during it. Did I miss something?

Oh whoops that was the part I cut for relevance. I'll have to remove that reference.

Here's what I cut, though:

quote:

KAI KITAMURA'S SOLO ADVENTURE
Major Kai is visiting Incirlik Base in Turkey, where he's putting some of the local soldiers through the paces with live training exercises. These local soldiers are Aggressor candidates selected by Commander Mustapha. They're good, but not quite Aggressor material; They'd have to be as good as Lamia and the Schoolchildren to make the cut. The commander isn't offended, in fact he's grateful to give his soldiers the opportunity to train with Kai at all.

After training, Kai visits a bar in town to kick back. There, he encounters a woman named Donna Gallagher. As two fellow expats in a country that frowns on drinking, they strike up some friendly conversation where Kai mentions his wife and four kids (one actual kid and three he just looks after). Donna claims that she's a single mom. She brought her kid with her to the country because she can't let him out of her sight. According to her, he's paralyzed from the neck down due to an alien attack, and she goes out to drown her sorrows when he's sleeping. The part Donna leaves out is that she works for the Tsentr Project.

THE WENDIGO PLAN
Donna is a man-machine interface researcher developing a mobile weapon called the Wendigo. There are four Wendigo units built, of which Unit 3 is intended by Donna to be her paralyzed son Tony's replacement body. But the Wendigos have serious issues with their control systems, and the head of the Tsentr Project, Dr. Mitar Zapad, has deemed them to be more trouble than they're worth, claiming that the Tsentr Project is not a physical rehab center for children. Mitar breaks the news gently to Donna and tells her that the Wendigo Plan has been temporarily frozen for review by a new person in charge, but Donna knows that the new person in charge, Erde Mitte, would never have a use for her or her son.

Since results are all that matter to the Tsentr Project, she's determined to show some by pitting the Wendigo against Federation machines in a live demonstration. She takes the Wendigo 3 and goes to Turkey, where she strikes up a deal with group of religious extremists who believe that all bipedal robots are false idols. Donna freely admits that they're crackpots and that even locally nobody gives them the time of day, but they serve her purposes.

Donna holds up Kai at gunpoint and takes him hostage as a precursor to the terrorists' attack on Incirlik Base. She sends Tony out in the Wendigo 3 and encourages him to act up so that she can prove this weapon's usefulness. Kai escapes and comes back to rally the local forces. Eventually, Kai overcomes the Wendigo and rips out its core intact, since he was able to connect the dots and figure out what was in it pretty quickly. Donna is defeated and resigned but immensely relieved.

In the aftermath of this incident, Donna and Tony are taken into custody by the Federation's intelligence division for questioning. The Tsentr Project makes only a halfhearted effort to ask for their return before letting the matter drop. Mitar denies any involvement in the whole affair and claims the Tsentr Project is as much a victim here as anyone else. Erde Mitte officially takes over the Wendigo Plan and moves to replace its control system with her own baby, AI0.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Having never had the chance to play any OG games beyond the two GBA games, this poo poo is fascinating :allears:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Alacron posted:

Having never had the chance to play any OG games beyond the two GBA games, this poo poo is fascinating :allears:

You should just get moon dwellers. I know it's not high on the list of favorites for this thread's veterans but for a filthy worm such as I, it is an absolute blast.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

MechaX posted:

You know, maybe they really should have saved Euzzeth for the very, very last OG game for the amount of insane, paranoid planning this man put in

In a moment of true irony, all his overlapping, concentric layers of schemes around schemes collapse after various seemingly unrelated people who've spent the game interacting with and assisting both him and the players reveal themselves all to be Edel Bernal. Euzeth's face as "That was me as well!" gets thrown back in it becomes a legendary fandom meme for years, before the Steel Dragons kick his head in untroubled by any contingencies embedded in his now-defunct plots.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

If they ever put The Edel in another game, there's something they need to do.

The Edel: Watching you guys wasn't actually that interesting. Sure you got through, but you couldn't even get your enemies to go Hard mode on you.
The Edel (onscreen): Hey there Me. I'm about to fight the Wounded Lion's ZEUTH. Wanna join in?
The Edel: Ooh, that sounds way more fun. I'll be right over. Well, I'm outta here. Maybe if you mastered the previous battles, I'd stick around... *poof*

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/Anawnnemus/status/1082770146261983237?s=19

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Is the XN-L battle a joke lol. The thing casts an AoE attack each turn, which also criticals at random, then has a go at your units not once, not twice but three times. Granted with the correct buffs and Will most of the robots will survive but eventually it will kill off the whole squad one by one or by twos. Using multiple boosted maximum breaks and assist attacks, the closest I ever got to beating it was 18000 down from 420000 and then Touya died. That took nearly a whole afternoon!

e: is there an item I can equip which guards gainst whatever status thing prevents the use of SP skills, because that is immensely effective against my robots.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Ka0 posted:

Is the XN-L battle a joke lol. The thing casts an AoE attack each turn, which also criticals at random, then has a go at your units not once, not twice but three times. Granted with the correct buffs and Will most of the robots will survive but eventually it will kill off the whole squad one by one or by twos. Using multiple boosted maximum breaks and assist attacks, the closest I ever got to beating it was 18000 down from 420000 and then Touya died. That took nearly a whole afternoon!

e: is there an item I can equip which guards gainst whatever status thing prevents the use of SP skills, because that is immensely effective against my robots.

If you leave one of the enemy grunts alive and within the range of the AoEs then XN-L won't use them .

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I appreciate that they kinda sorta tried to make the last batch of bosses in MD difficult but they went about it in the most irritating and boring way imaginable. Nothing about XN-L and Gu-Landon is fun and the big emotional crescendos that culminate in the boss casting guard and you passing the turn (because gently caress attacking into guard) changing the event BGM for the regular stage BGM make for comically bad anticlimaxes.

MD is probably the most infuriating game in the OG series on a gameplay level and that sucks because it does some neat things on a story level (it also botches a bunch of other things on a story level but that's life I guess).

edit: Also that G Gundam fanmade animation thing a few posts above is insanely good. I wouldn't be surprised if it's better than the animations in T. Bamco pls hire this person.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 9, 2019

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Still yet to find a problem that shooting the HTB cannon off a half dozen times a turn won't solve.

Except maybe casting wall and strike every 20% of hp removed.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I hate when they cast wall because then its just like, well I guess Im ending the turn then. No reason to blow all my EN.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

GimmickMan posted:

MD is probably the most infuriating game in the OG series on a gameplay level

No, no. OG1 and OG2 were waaaaay worse in this regard. I still find MD an absolute darling of a game compared to "here, beat Sikalog, THEN have a go at Aguija and bald rear end in a top hat holed up like rats in the ruins of the white star with Viletta and Lune for ten thousand turns, aren't you having fun?!?!?11". I am a newbie compared to everyone in this thread but I could write up several examples on how the GBA games were torture at times.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ka0 posted:

No, no. OG1 and OG2 were waaaaay worse in this regard. I still find MD an absolute darling of a game compared to "here, beat Sikalog, THEN have a go at Aguija and bald rear end in a top hat holed up like rats in the ruins of the white star with Viletta and Lune for ten thousand turns, aren't you having fun?!?!?11". I am a newbie compared to everyone in this thread but I could write up several examples on how the GBA games were torture at times.

What you're describing is a completely optional secret that you can skip without forfeiting any skill points, though.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Yeah, it's specifically the thing you do if you're a crazy completionist and the game jokes with you about it.

The most annoying gameplay thing is OG1 is all the bosses with barriers and no Fury/Direct Hit until OGs so you get to sit there draining EN for turns, and the most annoying thing in OG2 is invading the White Star.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I got so frustrated with OG1 that I've been put off from the series. Like I should love SRW but that was such an unfun slog I can't bring myself to start another one.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Recommending SRW to my friends in years past was an utter nightmare because all of them would see OG1 and 2 on GBA and ask me if that was the one they should start playing and I'd have to tell them no and give them a long explanation of what fan translation patch to get or what Japanese PSP game to play and what guide to use to translate it.

Now I can just say "go to eBay, punch in Super Robot Wars V PS4 English, and buy it" and I've gotten 2 people to do that now.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Both the big bad bosses in OGMD having the strat of just ending turn every 20% or whatever is very J in all the worst ways.

Ka0 posted:

Funnily enough, there is an item you can equip! There's the pilot and robot block you can activate with ability parts if the robot doesn't have it naturally and only like 3 or so units have it so it's a good one if the status effects are getting you down. There's also the Prayer spirit (maybe called Invocation in MD?) to clear status effects from key units. Kusuha and Aya have it as their twin spell and Shana has it as a regular spell. There's the twin spell that is Iron Wall + immunity to status effects too. Rishu, Rai, Zengar, Touya and Touma have it as their twin spell and Kusuha's Iron Wall upgrades to a single target version if she's aced. That means 4 squads are immune because you're not twinning Rai up with anyone and then just a matter of Aya, Kusuha and Shana keeping enough sp to undrangle people and at 10 a pop for Shana and 10+10 for Aya and Kusuha you should be ok.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Policenaut posted:

Recommending SRW to my friends in years past was an utter nightmare because all of them would see OG1 and 2 on GBA and ask me if that was the one they should start playing and I'd have to tell them no and give them a long explanation of what fan translation patch to get or what Japanese PSP game to play and what guide to use to translate it.

Now I can just say "go to eBay, punch in Super Robot Wars V PS4 English, and buy it" and I've gotten 2 people to do that now.

V is very good.

X isn't as good and I've yet to finish it but it's not bad.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
T please be good.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
T will be good.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alacron posted:

There's one thing Hokuto left off of Kai's Solo Adventure. He is forced to recalibrate the controls for the Gespenst he's piloting for manual inputs and mainly uses close combat techniques (the Jet Magnum S and Jet Phantom attacks are born from this outing) against the Wendigo. And again, all of this after a night of drinking, where Kai is almost certainly operating a PT under the influence of alcohol (if not legally drunk, he's at least buzzed during the fight).

Basically, someone at Banpresto decided that for some reason, Kai Kitamura was going to make Roy Fokker look like a chump when it comes to piloting while drunk. And managed to avoid the mother of all DUI arrests, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

AradoBalanga posted:

There's one thing Hokuto left off of Kai's Solo Adventure. He is forced to recalibrate the controls for the Gespenst he's piloting for manual inputs and mainly uses close combat techniques (the Jet Magnum S and Jet Phantom attacks are born from this outing) against the Wendigo. And again, all of this after a night of drinking, where Kai is almost certainly operating a PT under the influence of alcohol (if not legally drunk, he's at least buzzed during the fight).

Basically, someone at Banpresto decided that for some reason, Kai Kitamura was going to make Roy Fokker look like a chump when it comes to piloting while drunk. And managed to avoid the mother of all DUI arrests, too.

As if I needed more reasons to love Kai

T's gonna be my first since actual purchase of a SRW game since OG2, so I'm super stoked/crossing my fingers.