Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Also, weren't you doing public defender/indigent case work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was just doing indigent veteran work before. Then I got hired at the private criminal defense firm. And now I’m unemployed again woooooo

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
drat, sorry that didn't work out
hugs bro

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Uh guys? Im legit convinced by this fan theory and its really loving crazy. Willy Wonka sequel = Snowpiercer

https://youtu.be/jEX52h1TvuA

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DownByTheWooter posted:

drat, sorry that didn't work out
hugs bro

Thanks. It’s life. I’m too broke brained to do work this serious. I need to find myself something significantly less demanding.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thanks. It’s life. I’m too broke brained to do work this serious. I need to find myself something significantly less demanding.

Move to a state with legal weed and work in a grow house like the other gip dude with a green thumb

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Nice! posted:

Come to the PNW and touch computers with me.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxeYBzal1jo

I don't know if anyone knew about Ripley the Toucan from random youtube videos in sidebars, but Ripley the Toucan died last week.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

orange juche posted:

Move to a state with legal weed and work in a grow house like the other gip dude with a green thumb

Boom.

Probably get you started making $12-15/hr pulling buds off plants. Definitely not lawyer money. Even know future murmurs here will have me working in a huge indoor op in a few months, where we're gonna need around 300 people to staff it total. And we're veteran heavy, probably a solid quarter of us are ex-mil. The new place will be in a Pueblo. Probably moving there myself when my lease is up.

Gotta move and establish residency before you can get a MED badge here, but they start at $75 for a two year occupational license. No felonies or drug charges (even misdemeanors).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Boom.

Probably get you started making $12-15/hr pulling buds off plants. Definitely not lawyer money. Even know future murmurs here will have me working in a huge indoor op in a few months, where we're gonna need around 300 people to staff it total. And we're veteran heavy, probably a solid quarter of us are ex-mil. The new place will be in a Pueblo. Probably moving there myself when my lease is up.

Gotta move and establish residency before you can get a MED badge here, but they start at $75 for a two year occupational license. No felonies or drug charges (even misdemeanors).

Apparently according to Mr. Nice, lawyer money wasn't that hot, it's famous prosecutors that make "lawyer money", everyone else in law scrapes by off of very little money.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Mr. Nice- why not start your own private vet law practice? Handle C&P claims/appeals, DoD Disability/med board/PEB/CRSC stuff. You won’t get rich doing it, but it won’t break your brain and you’ll get to help your fellow brothers and sisters in arms. You could just charge reasonable fees to do the work- like $200 for a PEB or C&P appeal. You can even just work from home and have a virtual law practice.

Dudes that have lawyers help in their disability process seem to have the best outcomes. I got lucky without one but as I understand it that is the exception, not the rule.

If you need someone that’s versed in the issues to help you as I guess a paralegal I’d totally help you out. I’m no lawyer, but I by god know the DoD and VA disability system inside and out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’m looking to do some of that, shim. No one in town does discharge upgrades so I can definitely carve out a niche.

Also florida does have legal medical weed and growhouses near me that need help. I’m probably applying there at least in the short term.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you decide on the weed route, you're eventually going to want to look at learning METRC and Biotrack. I haven't bothered yet, having too much fun working in the plants to learn the software, usually only a handful of people need to be involved in that end of it.

Still gonna learn it, just dragging my feet.

Oh, and wet trim is easier/faster than dry, especially if they have Twister trimming machines. Barely any loving with snips, just rip off the fan leaves and pop all the buds into the hopper in a clean shot down the stem, machine will handle the small/sugar leaves and feed them all to a vacuum for collecting hash making material.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 9, 2019

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Hey guys, I’m going back to Iraq in March as a civ. Should be fun!

Hope I don’t die

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Quick, sign this life insurance policy...

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Deathy McDeath posted:

Hope I don’t die

Not enough money. Nope nope nope

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

Maybe enough money. Almost certainly nope nope nope.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

The money is actually very good

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Deathy McDeath posted:

Hope I don’t die

Name checks out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

just a heads up geico and usaa are both part of travelers so its worth checking out all 3

There was an insurance thread or derail in AI a while back. Geico generated a couple of horror stories that ended with (successful) lawsuits because of how bad the offered payouts were. IIRC one dude had a thousands-of-dollars mountain bike stolen that Geico offered Walmart bike value for, and another had a restored 60s Impala get totaled that they offered low 4-digits for.

Here's the thing to remember about insurance: (to a point) it's not what you pay in premiums, it's how well it protects/helps you AFTER poo poo hits the fan. My only USAA insurance experience was when I had major roof damage from tornadic storms...it was as straightforward as I could've hoped. Homeowners!=auto, though.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’m looking to do some of that, shim. No one in town does discharge upgrades so I can definitely carve out a niche.

Also florida does have legal medical weed and growhouses near me that need help. I’m probably applying there at least in the short term.

Good luck man. Hopefully you land on your feet, and that vet angle sounds interesting. I'd double check that being weed-affiliated doesn't impact your ability to do legal stuff, whether state or federal.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 9, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Deathy McDeath posted:

The money is actually very good

If it ain't seven figures, it ain't enough.

I wouldn't even consider it for 500k and I'm a computer toucher.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If their licensing procedure is anything like here in Colorado, he'll be fine. The bar is probably the only concern, but if you're not practicing while working in the field, it shouldn't be an issue.

Here, the occupational license is basically a thorough as gently caress background check and fingerprinting. 3-5 day turn-around.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

There was an insurance thread or derail in AI a while back. Geico generated a couple of horror stories that ended with (successful) lawsuits because of how bad the offered payouts were. IIRC one dude had a thousands-of-dollars mountain bike stolen that Geico offered Walmart bike value for, and another had a restored 60s Impala get totaled that they offered low 4-digits for.

Here's the thing to remember about insurance: (to a point) it's not what you pay in premiums, it's how well it protects/helps you AFTER poo poo hits the fan. My only USAA insurance experience was when I had major roof damage from tornadic storms...it was as straightforward as I could've hoped. Homeowners!=auto, though.

Good luck man. Hopefully you land on your feet, and that vet angle sounds interesting. I'd double check that being weed-affiliated doesn't impact your ability to do legal stuff, whether state or federal.

I've never had to use my USAA home insurance but I've used the auto twice in my life, 2004 and 2013-ish. Both times it was basically "okay, here's your money/repair paid for" and the money was more than I needed in the first case.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah, curious to hear more about USAA being bad. I’ve mostly only heard good things. I use it for home/auto insurance

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

I used my personal pot card and stuff I’ve got at the dispensary as court exhibits.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah, curious to hear more about USAA being bad. I’ve mostly only heard good things. I use it for home/auto insurance

They treated my wife like absolute poo poo for daring to be rear ended by somebody on their insurance.

I made a claim myself and had to call every hour of every workday for a week before I got in touch with my adjuster. They just said they were busy.

I wanted to try their mortgage service but they were so hands off and clinical about it I didn’t bother continuing past the first few steps. They basically wanted me to get as close to closing as possible before they would even deign to speak with me. I went with Prime Lending instead and it was like having a kindly grandmother hold my hand through the process.

I still use them for banking and homeowners/car insurance but I don’t feel a whole ton of loyalty. Beats BoA I guess.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 9, 2019

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

If it ain't seven figures, it ain't enough.

I wouldn't even consider it for 500k and I'm a computer toucher.

Basically. Time is money, and I got kids. I value my time.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Soulex posted:

Basically. Time is money, and I got kids. I value my time.

I didn't realize superstar Heath Slater posted here, sorry you lose all the time

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's ok guys, we beat isis already so Iraq is safe now

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

If I didn't have a gf currently, I honestly wouldn't mind going back to contracting. The money was good, the FOB life was pretty routine and I was able to keep a regular gym routine.

That's tech contracting though. Wouldn't do security contracting again.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

The Rat posted:

If I didn't have a gf currently, I honestly wouldn't mind going back to contracting. The money was good, the FOB life was pretty routine and I was able to keep a regular gym routine.

Contracting for the mercurial trump administration seems like a lose/lose proposition in my mind.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Oh it wouldn't be as a career. Just some blood money war bucks to pad out the savings account.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
poo poo, I’m so hosed up in the head I miss Iraq sometimes. Actually a lot of the time. Not as much for Afghanistan, but it was a beautiful country at least.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Deathy McDeath posted:

Hope I don’t die

what are you doing

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The Rat posted:

What was security contracting like

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

poo poo, I’m so hosed up in the head I miss Iraq sometimes. Actually a lot of the time. Not as much for Afghanistan, but it was a beautiful country at least.

Foot patrols in afghanistan were a loving trip dude I'd give anything to be able to backpack there. There was a tell from one of alexander the great's fortifications on top of a plateau with a river at the bottom of it. I'd buy a donkey and just start walking along that river man

PookBear fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 9, 2019

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fallom posted:

They treated my wife like absolute poo poo for daring to be rear ended by somebody on their insurance.

I made a claim myself and had to call every hour of every workday for a week before I got in touch with my adjuster. They just said they were busy.

I wanted to try their mortgage service but they were so hands off and clinical about it I didn’t bother continuing past the first few steps. They basically wanted me to get as close to closing as possible before they would even deign to speak with me. I went with Prime Lending instead and it was like having a kindly grandmother hold my hand through the process.

I still use them for banking and homeowners/car insurance but I don’t feel a whole ton of loyalty. Beats BoA I guess.

Yeah my wife had a minor fender bender that did $1,078 dollars worth of damage to her new car. Our deductible is $1,000 so all USAA had to cover was 78 dollars and whatever a rental car ran for the 3 days it was in the shop getting fixed. I spent a week trying to get our agent to approve the quote the body shop offered and another week getting USAA to actually contact us with updates using the correct email address instead of the one they fat fingered in.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

What was security contracting like

Foot patrols in afghanistan were a loving trip dude I'd give anything to be able to backpack there. There was a tell from one of alexander the great's fortifications on top of a plateau with a river at the bottom of it. I'd buy a donkey and just start walking along that river man

Qalat, Zabul? I was on Lagman in 2011

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yeah my wife had a minor fender bender that did $1,078 dollars worth of damage to her new car. Our deductible is $1,000 so all USAA had to cover was 78 dollars and whatever a rental car ran for the 3 days it was in the shop getting fixed. I spent a week trying to get our agent to approve the quote the body shop offered and another week getting USAA to actually contact us with updates using the correct email address instead of the one they fat fingered in.

Oh yeah, USAA tried to convince the body shop to use junkyard parts to fix her BMW, took 30 days to respond to the body shop's quote, and failed to adjust the rental car payment to compensate. My wife got a call from the rental company to return the car immediately and pay the $800 she "owed".

It was a real mess and USAA cost itself 20% extra just by acting like a bunch of loving assholes.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 9, 2019

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

what are you doing

Very boring things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Deathy McDeath posted: