Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Here are a couple of cream puffs, the white one looks pretty cool

This one has some pretty sweet decals on the side.

Kaker, having owned both is the penalty of "speed" really atrocious for the 550cc Jimny over the 660? Your bubble top roofed light blue one is the best.

Back to back I'd have a hard time picking the 550cc Jimny (JA71) over the 660cc Jimny (JA11), they are just a hair nicer to drive at the speeds that you'd expect them to go. That being said though go with whatever one is coolest, they are all rad and you won't have a 660cc to compare it to!

lol @ the inspector guy you had come out, and of course he doesn't know poo poo about anything. DMV doesn't give a poo poo, did you follow the rules as they say? Yeah? Good here is your poo poo get out of here NEXT. I dig your choice of tires and love that you get all the neato bits like that tool kit and the work light. Those are my favorite parts of cars, those little bonuses.

Got the port pics for the Suzuki Carry I bought. It's boring as poo poo compared to the norm but at least it's in real nice condition. Would look real fly with some ~Limerence~ decals and graphics on it I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is that a floppy disk drive under the coolant and fuel gauges? Also dog pics are good

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Charles posted:

Is that a floppy disk drive under the coolant and fuel gauges? Also dog pics are good

It's a electronic toll transponder. you put your ETC card in it and when you drive through toll booths it charges it to the card instead of having to stop and pay and stuff.

e: KAKER,. GET THE SAWZALL

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/SUZUKI/JIMNY/700080281130190102002/index.html

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 8, 2019

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Stupid question: Is there a service that'll store or take care of cars in Japan (or possibly Canada) for you for a reasonable price? I wanted to buy an evo IV and V before the prices went crazy. Even at $100/mo/car it seems like you'd come out WAY ahead.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
https://vimeo.com/265361498

My friend showed me this a few days ago and it reminded me of this thread because the characters drive some USDM Toyota wagon.

I just hope you guys aren't still making mix CDs as gifts lol.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.

Are those springy things cup holders? I think I want a pair of these for my Acty.

Is there a recommended place that sells dumb kei truck accessories? Parts seem relatively easy to find, but I want to browse the stupid and completely unnecessary stuff.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Superautobacs

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KakerMix posted:

Back to back I'd have a hard time picking the 550cc Jimny (JA71) over the 660cc Jimny (JA11), they are just a hair nicer to drive at the speeds that you'd expect them to go. That being said though go with whatever one is coolest, they are all rad and you won't have a 660cc to compare it to!

Thanks for the feedback! I should probably hold out for a 660cc, the '94s I have looked at completed auction look pretty nice, and being in Salt Lake (~4500 feet above sea level) I should probably go for more juice.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Superautobacs

also croober depending where you are in the world

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Powershift posted:

It's a electronic toll transponder. you put your ETC card in it and when you drive through toll booths it charges it to the card instead of having to stop and pay and stuff.

e: KAKER,. GET THE SAWZALL

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/SUZUKI/JIMNY/700080281130190102002/index.html

tough used? simple equipment AND professional? SOLD

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Thanks for the feedback! I should probably hold out for a 660cc, the '94s I have looked at completed auction look pretty nice, and being in Salt Lake (~4500 feet above sea level) I should probably go for more juice.
Maybe, I don't know what these will do up in dry Utah air, though they seem to chug along just fine in Japan.

Sold the blue Jimny tonight. Guess where it's going?

Puerto Rico :v:

EDIT

Goddamn is this not killer as hell

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 9, 2019

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
that truck is amazing, when I was at ebisu I saw one owned by 3 generations of drifter. Car owner, his daughter, and grandad driving the truck. All were behind the wheel at some point

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
That thing seems like it would be an easy sell to a drift team or something. How much do you think it will go for?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Photos:
You're right on the photo of my wife and I, though I kinda loathe the idea. We'll do it though, I'll get over it.
The carport photos do have the hobby-type nature about it though it's consistency in quality with the overhead shade makes it easy to use. Our warehouse is too small to make room for pictures, plus the lighting sucks. Depending on how this works out we're going to need a larger one sooner rather than later:

Your warehouse is plenty big enough imo, all you need is a wide angle lens, a backdrop like lots of dealerships use and some cheap lights. Bonus you could have custom backdrop sheets made with your logo or business name on it, like this

I have a proper camera and lens to do it if you want to get an idea of how it would work. I don't think you're too far from me I could come down and let you try it out and then hit the skatepark down there :)

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 9, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

dphi posted:

That thing seems like it would be an easy sell to a drift team or something. How much do you think it will go for?

No idea, I'll keep an eye on it but my guess is 12-15 USD. It's the shipping that would kill though, I have to imagine it would be 5,000 bucks just to move the thing from Japan to here, saying nothing of getting it from the port. Suppose I could just drive to Jacksonville in something, load it on this truck, swap the dealer plates and drive home!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Your warehouse is plenty big enough imo, all you need is a wide angle lens, a backdrop like lots of dealerships use and some cheap lights. Bonus you could have custom backdrop sheets made with your logo or business name on it, like this

I have a proper camera and lens to do it if you want to get an idea of how it would work. I don't think you're too far from me I could come down and let you try it out and then hit the skatepark down there :)

The warehouse is plenty big yeah and would work just fine, the problem is that its filled with cars and we have no where to put them besides the warehouse. Not knowing how this was going to work out we rented a smaller warehouse so we could keep operating costs down.
My wife does have some gently caress-off expensive DSLR she uses for her etsy photographing in her studio so we're really only missing the lens, but it's still a space issue.

Also we've been shooting all the pictures with our Pixel 3 smartphones :ssh:

ALSO you still can come down and see our stuff and take pictures if you'd like, we are quite close to the skatepark!

EDIT

Looking into that Dyna truck some more, BU94s really only ever hit 10k USD on the maximum, and as far as I can tell the 'BU94' designation is exclusively flatbed tow trucks. Some have cranes and none of them are as pimped as this one. I don't know if those modifications make it more or less valuable. Still would be so loving expensive the ship though.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 9, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Could you soften the shipping blow by sticking three kei trucks on the back at the same time? :haw:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Does you wife have a Canon camera? If so the lens to get is the EF-S 10-22mm, for taking pictures of cars inside and out it's worth every penny. If it's a Nikon then I have no clue :v:

But yeah I should come down sometime and bring my son he would love the cars :)

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

gently caress dude look at this. It's the auto version too so I think it has the two speed automatic gearbox

Solus fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 9, 2019

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Beanzor posted:

Are those springy things cup holders? I think I want a pair of these for my Acty.

Is there a recommended place that sells dumb kei truck accessories? Parts seem relatively easy to find, but I want to browse the stupid and completely unnecessary stuff.

http://hello-special.com/

https://www.blow-net.co.jp

Fievel Goes Bi fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 9, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Would your warehouse situation let you set up one of those small freestanding carports outside indefinitely? Alternately, is there a large dining fly or tarp or something you could set up and take down as needed?

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007
I'm looking into getting in on the hot JDM action, I'm thinking of importing a BJ (teehee) Land Cruiser to the UK. I'll keep the thread updated with how it goes

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solus posted:

gently caress dude look at this. It's the auto version too so I think it has the two speed automatic gearbox

Ah the Mighty Boy :)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Does you wife have a Canon camera? If so the lens to get is the EF-S 10-22mm, for taking pictures of cars inside and out it's worth every penny. If it's a Nikon then I have no clue :v:

But yeah I should come down sometime and bring my son he would love the cars :)

Nikon. "Housewife camera" - her on Canon when I asked.

Midjack posted:

Would your warehouse situation let you set up one of those small freestanding carports outside indefinitely? Alternately, is there a large dining fly or tarp or something you could set up and take down as needed?

No, the 'alley' access for the garage is fairly narrow and is a thoroughfare for everyone else.

The garage opening is juts in front of the AZ-1 in this pic.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Light looks decent there. Maybe get a banner to hang on the warehouse door and use that as a backdrop for pictures?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Light looks decent there. Maybe get a banner to hang on the warehouse door and use that as a backdrop for pictures?

I mean I could but I might as well just hang a big-rear end banner in our paved backyard with the same lighting and shoot there, with the bonus of not having to deal with all our commercial neighbors.

I'm putting together the page for the Bongo. I ended up going and looking for what I suspected was the place where the Bongo was painted:

http://www.kasuno.co.jp/

Still in business and their facebook page just happens to have a commercial truck getting serviced. Neat.

EDIT
While I don't have port pictures yet, the HiAce van I bought does include SONAR:

along with the goofy in-van intercom system, that's what 'Joyful Talk' is.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 10, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Argh. Wish I was in a position to buy the Bongo.

You’ll have to give us a demo of the sonar and Joyful Talk. :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I can't help stop giggling at the fact that the HiAce has a "sports" suspension mode.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

No worries! It does seem like a tricky situation re: taking photos, might see if there are any good guides by automotive photographers.

KakerMix posted:

I mean I could but I might as well just hang a big-rear end banner in our paved backyard with the same lighting and shoot there, with the bonus of not having to deal with all our commercial neighbors.

I'm putting together the page for the Bongo. I ended up going and looking for what I suspected was the place where the Bongo was painted:

http://www.kasuno.co.jp/

Still in business and their facebook page just happens to have a commercial truck getting serviced. Neat.

EDIT
While I don't have port pictures yet, the HiAce van I bought does include SONAR:

along with the goofy in-van intercom system, that's what 'Joyful Talk' is.

The intercom is not a bad idea, I was driving around NZ for two weeks late last year in Nissan's answer to the HiAce, and you kinda did have to holler at the people in the back seats. It had something similar to the sonar but it might have been aftermarket... thing drove me nuts with all the false positives, especially if I was trying to get directions from someone outside on clearance when I was backing it in:

Van: BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP
Mate: you've got about a metre
Me: WHAT?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Darchangel posted:

Argh. Wish I was in a position to buy the Bongo.

You’ll have to give us a demo of the sonar and Joyful Talk. :)

Of course.

I should point out too that picture isn't of my actual van, it's just a picture of another 1993 HiAce Super Custom Limited. From what I can tell, there are HiAce Super Customs, and there are Super Custom Limited. Limited comes with all the options, triple sunroof, sonar, TEMS (adjustable suspension), digital dashboard, COOL BOX and spinning center bench seat. Won't know for sure till I get my pictures but that's what I'm going on right now.

:c00l:

Ethics_Gradient posted:

No worries! It does seem like a tricky situation re: taking photos, might see if there are any good guides by automotive photographers.

The intercom is not a bad idea, I was driving around NZ for two weeks late last year in Nissan's answer to the HiAce, and you kinda did have to holler at the people in the back seats. It had something similar to the sonar but it might have been aftermarket... thing drove me nuts with all the false positives, especially if I was trying to get directions from someone outside on clearance when I was backing it in:

Van: BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP
Mate: you've got about a metre
Me: WHAT?

I have no idea what I'm doing re: taking pictures of cars and then selling them so I'm just going off what I'd like to see if I were to buy a car. Wheel wells, headliner, stuff that seems to get neglected elsewhere. As for the intercom I'm sure we'll like playing with it. And it looks like the sonar has a button which I assume turns it on and off.

In other news:

:negative::negative::negative:

Hurts just a little bit since where the hell would I put that thing? Plus the sheet was never translated so maybe it has some sort of terrible problem.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
gently caress, 10k for a bitchin JDM flatbed hauler...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

KakerMix posted:

In other news:

:negative::negative::negative:

Hurts just a little bit since where the hell would I put that thing? Plus the sheet was never translated so maybe it has some sort of terrible problem.

You'd park it under three Jimmy's?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hahahaha you won that bad motherfucker? Congrats.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Tyro posted:

Hahahaha you won that bad motherfucker? Congrats.

No no no, I didn't even bid on it. It just sold for much less than I expected is all.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

KakerMix posted:

No no no, I didn't even bid on it. It just sold for much less than I expected is all.

never not bid kakermix.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Aw man you got my hopes up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wargames posted:

never not bid kakermix.

New thread title.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

never not bid kakermix.

The problem is becoming not 'can we afford this' and more 'where do we put this' which owns. Suppose the problem really is 'we need a bigger warehouse'.

I'd love to have had that deko flatbed but really, what do you DO with it?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

You'd park it under three Jimmy's?

Use it to collect and deliver your new trucks? How awesome would it be to turn up at cars and coffee with 2 for-sale kei cars on the back?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

cakesmith handyman posted:

Use it to collect and deliver your new trucks? How awesome would it be to turn up at cars and coffee with 2 for-sale kei cars on the back?

Showing up to C&C with a JDM hauler full of JDM products would be boss as hell. I am not sure how the C&C scene is in your part of Florida but you could consider starting a group of sorts to kind of start promoting yourselves. Here in Utah the whole "food truck" movement craze is in full swing. There is a travelling group of them that work with local city parks and some local businesses so people will show up on a Friday night or Saturdays at a given place and buy food stuff. Piggy back onto something like that where you and your posse all show up to one of those functions and just travel around with them?

So my boss is 100% turned on to getting a car imported. He has an FJ40 so he is Land Cruiser crazy. He is wanting an HJ61, he had Yoshi do an inspection on one the other day. He will be buying the first decent one that pops up so he will likely have something before me which is fine. I am waiting until I see what my taxes are like this year (mainly making sure it is not a repeat of last years five figure deficit). I am 100% locked in on a Jimny though, so I will literally fight Kaker over whatever clean/low mileage one pops up when I am ready. I see a few recent ones that at face value looked pretty cool going for peanuts. I want one with bitchin seats and the spare tire and hopefully the bubble top roof and AC that works. Decals would be a bonus but not a deal breaker. I have seen a few past auctions and some on the GOO NET that have Nardi steering wheels so I will probably have to source something like that eventually. They just look classy.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
This Hi-Ace pulling all the monies right now

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-toyota-hiace-supercustom/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Showing up to C&C with a JDM hauler full of JDM products would be boss as hell. I am not sure how the C&C scene is in your part of Florida but you could consider starting a group of sorts to kind of start promoting yourselves. Here in Utah the whole "food truck" movement craze is in full swing. There is a travelling group of them that work with local city parks and some local businesses so people will show up on a Friday night or Saturdays at a given place and buy food stuff. Piggy back onto something like that where you and your posse all show up to one of those functions and just travel around with them?

So my boss is 100% turned on to getting a car imported. He has an FJ40 so he is Land Cruiser crazy. He is wanting an HJ61, he had Yoshi do an inspection on one the other day. He will be buying the first decent one that pops up so he will likely have something before me which is fine. I am waiting until I see what my taxes are like this year (mainly making sure it is not a repeat of last years five figure deficit). I am 100% locked in on a Jimny though, so I will literally fight Kaker over whatever clean/low mileage one pops up when I am ready. I see a few recent ones that at face value looked pretty cool going for peanuts. I want one with bitchin seats and the spare tire and hopefully the bubble top roof and AC that works. Decals would be a bonus but not a deal breaker. I have seen a few past auctions and some on the GOO NET that have Nardi steering wheels so I will probably have to source something like that eventually. They just look classy.

Be sure to tell your boss that you sent him to Japan Car Direct, sweet referral discount!!!

As for Jimny competition,
*cracks knuckles*

It's the condition and low mileage. The mileage is the killer part here since that's what Bring a Trailer caters toward. Digital dash is pretty sweet. This one as the non-turbo 2.8 engine too, will last forever but geeeeee golly will it be slow. Or so I've heard :v: