Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Can you cheat at card games in this one like you could in the first game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

client
Aug 19, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

How is the online in this game? I remember back in RDR how you would get constantly sniped by people you couldn't even see, is it still the same issue in this game or did they fix it?

you don't have to worry about getting sniped because online is so loving broken that you'll constantly crash to the main menu before reaching anyone

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Mantis42 posted:

Can you cheat at card games in this one like you could in the first game?

No

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Braincloud posted:

loving hell. 3 million hours put into single player and I still can’t get a drat silver chain bracelet to spawn. Sold the first one before I knew and haven’t seen one since. :argh:

Hell, same.

Silver earring, too.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Marsten's insistence on putting his pants on the outside of his boots - with lovingly detailed muddy and torn cuffs - is infuriating me. Motherfucker looks like he's wearing flared jeans

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh cool they kept the one thing literally everyone loved about the first game:

loving mountain lion instakills even while riding on a road

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

freebooter posted:

Marsten's insistence on putting his pants on the outside of his boots - with lovingly detailed muddy and torn cuffs - is infuriating me. Motherfucker looks like he's wearing flared jeans

Then tuck them inside his boots.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

precision posted:

I agree, it’s cool

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Braincloud posted:

loving hell. 3 million hours put into single player and I still can’t get a drat silver chain bracelet to spawn. Sold the first one before I knew and haven’t seen one since. :argh:

sirbeefalot posted:

Hell, same.

Silver earring, too.

the answer to your problem is women.
even though you can find the jewelry in drawers, cabinets and lock boxes it's easier to rob a train or wander around town and stick up every woman you see, they tend to have the entire variety of bracelets, earrings, and necklaces.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

Does mashing circle work? Seems to work on all the other predators with grapple kills

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Whenever I'm attacked by a bear or a cougar I mash all of the buttons as frantically as possible. Sometimes I live, sometimes I die, and that's the way of the Wild West

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I like to mash R while whipping the control stick side to side and sometimes that throws them off me for a chance to shoot. I managed to do this twice in a row with a cougar. The deep red scratch marks lasted a long time after that before fading away.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Cage Kicker posted:

Does mashing circle work? Seems to work on all the other predators with grapple kills

Doesn't seem to allow it as frequently. Happens pretty often with grizzly bears (there's even an achievement for it) but I've gotten the grapple prompt from a big cat at only once. Every other time they just instantlu kill me.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

freebooter posted:

Love dem flared cowboy jeans. I had Morgan wearing those for a while. Also, yeah you can tuck those the gently caress into your boots if you hate em that much.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Annoyed there's no shorts option tbh

New Austin gets pretty hot this time of year

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Basic question: I'd like to do all (or most of) the sidequests but I'm afraid if I do too many main yellow missions too fast I'll miss them (im in chapter 2 atm). For example, a random letter came to Arthur about his old flame and I don't know what triggered that.

Are there any do's and dont's that would help me not miss anything?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hobo Clown posted:

Annoyed there's no shorts option tbh

New Austin gets pretty hot this time of year

Just get so drunk you black out and lose all your clothes and then don't wear any pants ever again.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kawabata posted:

Basic question: I'd like to do all (or most of) the sidequests but I'm afraid if I do too many main yellow missions too fast I'll miss them (im in chapter 2 atm). For example, a random letter came to Arthur about his old flame and I don't know what triggered that.

Best rule of thumb I found is to just do all the white/stranger missions as soon as you see them; I don’t totally know when or why they disappear, but progressing the story (yellow missions) sometimes makes them go away so don’t do those until you’ve done the side quests you want to do.

Especially prioritize any white missions that appear in camp, those seem to float away with the wind.

The letter you’re referring to is special though, it shows up as part of the main plot.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Kawabata posted:

Look at my post history in this thread. I posted screenshots from the strategy guide that has mission flow and trigger information, and information about when certain side missions are no longer available. The biggest spoilers are mission names, which are usually pretty vague.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AndyElusive posted:

Just get so drunk you black out and lose all your clothes and then don't wear any pants ever again.

I tried that once, I gave up after Arthur was pretty drunk and nothing fun was happening.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Kawabata posted:

Yellow missions are unmissable since you have to do them to advance the plot.

White stranger missions (the ones that start as a "?") can be started in any chapter and will carry over into the next one if you don't finish it, but some of them need to be completed before the epilogue (after chapter 6).

White campsite missions only ever start in your campsite and are given by members of your gang. No one knows the fleeting nature of these mystery quests, they appear and disappear from the map seemingly at random. They're of little consequence to the overall plot and often boil down to "Go fishing with Javier" or whatever. Fun for a bit of extra dialogue but don't feel like you need to waste a lot of time getting them all.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I tried that once, I gave up after Arthur was pretty drunk and nothing fun was happening.

Drink more, you dingus.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

White stranger missions (the ones that start as a "?") can be started in any chapter and will carry over into the next one if you don't finish it, but some of them need to be completed before the epilogue (after chapter 6).

White campsite missions only ever start in your campsite and are given by members of your gang. No one knows the fleeting nature of these mystery quests, they appear and disappear from the map seemingly at random. They're of little consequence to the overall plot and often boil down to "Go fishing with Javier" or whatever. Fun for a bit of extra dialogue but don't feel like you need to waste a lot of time getting them all.

The camp missions are similar to “nico, cousin, lets see big American titties” calls in gta4 except for some reason they’re compelling

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AndyElusive posted:

Drink more, you dingus.

I'm buying liquor on the way home from work today

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Iron Crowned posted:

In most video games if you sip a beer you get blasted into another reality. Arthur can pack away like 3 whole bottles of whiskey and he just starts singing quietly to himself.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm legit curious if you can start missions and cutscenes as post-blackout buck naked Arthur.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Annoyed that I can't find a way to wear a vest without a shirt, to have my full Crocodile Dundee experience as I sulk around the bayou.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hobo Clown posted:

Aren’t there a couple of homestead robberies that are worth it in the early game?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Ainsley McTree posted:

The camp missions are similar to “nico, cousin, lets see big American titties” calls in gta4 except for some reason they’re compelling

Yeah that or calling up one or both of the other main characters in GTAV to go drinking or golfing or whatever. Gives you a little bit more of their dynamic and it's all well-acted and everything, but superfluous enough to not be worth figuring out how and when they all appear.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Not a homestead but the valentine doctor is a pro heist because you get a schofield out of it right out of the gate.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

R* loving suck. It’s the 9th and they still haven’t said poo poo about plans for RDO. They need a communications manager.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Aren’t there a couple of homestead robberies that are worth it in the early game?

Yeah they're not bad but the homesteads are still robbable at any time, the campsite missions just point you in their direction and give you a buddy to rob them with.

Fun little tidbit about those: If you've already robbed the place, Arthur will mention it when you get there. "Oh you meant THIS place?"

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

Hell, same.

Silver earring, too.

farm the train outside of riggs station

take a train from anywhere to riggs, steal the train, park it on the bridge, and rob all of the passengers for stacks of jewelry. rinse and repeat

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I ended up somewhat shocked earlier on during a homestead robbery where I ended up in a fight and the double-barreled shotgun made some woman's head explode. While I'm used to that in many games, I hadn't experienced any of that in the RDR2 yet and assumed that it didn't have any kind of limb loss damage.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Vadoc posted:

I ended up somewhat shocked earlier on during a homestead robbery where I ended up in a fight and the double-barreled shotgun made some woman's head explode. While I'm used to that in many games, I hadn't experienced any of that in the RDR2 yet and assumed that it didn't have any kind of limb loss damage.

Try doing a running tackle with your sawed off equipped :kheldragar:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

client posted:

you don't have to worry about getting sniped because online is so loving broken that you'll constantly crash to the main menu before reaching anyone

really? on PS4 poor I've had zero disconnects (outside of launch week) and no crashes. It's infinitely more stable than GTA Online for sure, loading and getting into playlists/mission lobbies are much improved too.

maybe work on setting your router to dmz or opening the ports for the game? dunno why you are having such bad luck

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

How the hell do you get Arthur drunk enough to lose his pants? I just spent $20 on shots and he just passes out but no pants loss.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Everslain posted:

Try doing a running tackle with your sawed off equipped :kheldragar:

Messed up, I did mean the sawed-off. But yeah..this was during a normal fight and not an execution but for whatever reason I just wasn't expecting it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ainsley McTree posted:

They vary too, some of them are more fleshed out with great dialogue. Basically just do them as soon as you see them, I found out the hard way that saving in camp will make them go away :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Crawfish hunting with Pearson was probably my favorite one of those missable quests.