Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

I'm thinking of dropping a little money on horror.

Is this thing worth the price? 30 films. Obviously a bunch of classics in there and I'm leaning towards it but not totally sure.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L8QP082/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Also can anyone tell what the difference between these two is? Did I just find some weird Amazon bug or are they just different printings of the same thing that weirdly got priced differently? Obviously I won't buy either if I decide to buy the big one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H45YSO/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A18YXWJH0T98I6&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Mo...7PNK7YFCJQYBZ69

I figure its worth spending money to get the classics I haven't seen, but I'm always a little weary about these big box sets that I'm going to get bad quality or a bunch of discs thrown in a bag all scratched up or something. Or with stuff like this there's often a "bad version" and "the right version." I figured you guys would know if one of these was a "bad" set.

I've been considering those too but I've been hearing a lot of iffy things about the transfers to the point I might just go with tracking down what I'm missing of the Legacy sets and call it good for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Is this thing worth the price? 30 films. Obviously a bunch of classics in there and I'm leaning towards it but not totally sure.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L8QP082/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Also can anyone tell what the difference between these two is? Did I just find some weird Amazon bug or are they just different printings of the same thing that weirdly got priced differently? Obviously I won't buy either if I decide to buy the big one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H45YSO/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A18YXWJH0T98I6&psc=1

I figure its worth spending money to get the classics I haven't seen, but I'm always a little weary about these big box sets that I'm going to get bad quality or a bunch of discs thrown in a bag all scratched up or something. Or with stuff like this there's often a "bad version" and "the right version." I figured you guys would know if one of these was a "bad" set.

That 30 movie sets absolutely worth it. I got most of them separately as they were being released, I think I'm only missing the Invisble Man and Phantom of the Opera discs, and the sets have some great bonus features, like Spanish Dracula and an alternate Phillip Glass/Kronos Quartet score to the original Bela Lugosi film.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

STAC Goat posted:

This one is a region 2 BR set.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

The 30 film set is absolutely worth it. Honestly, the blu-ray version is worth it, even. Originally they released the individual monster-centric collections, and the DVDs would go for at least $20, but upwards of $40, and there was a lot of over-lap between them, so it kinda sucked having to spend so much. I own the Frankenstein and the Dracula collection (both at $20+ still if you buy them separate) on DVD, and they're wonderful. This is basically those sets all bundled together. So even for the blu-ray, you're only looking at $14 per collection, which is a steal.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I have the Essential Collection(so not the big 30 film set), and the value there for me has been incredible. I've watched each movie at least twice and the thing cost me like $30.

Not sure what the concerns would be about the transfers in the set, as another poster was referring to. They all seem great to me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also, the special features and commentaries and complimentary book all look awesome as hell in that 30 movie set.

Maybe one day the Hammer flicks will get as nice of a collection.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Whispering Machines posted:

I love Bird Box the book, because infinite cosmic horrors seem pretty fuckin' scary. Movie... meh. There was stuff that just didn't make sense in the context of the movie, too many characters, etc. And that monster design is something else.

Also, I joined the discord, hi

We gonna watch so many horror movies together!!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

The cheaper one is a UK release, but it should be region-free. That's the one I have and it works fine in my Region 1 player. That more-expensive set is actually only 6 movies, compared to 8 in the UK set - it's missing Creature From the Black Lagoon and the 1943 Phantom of the Opera. The '43 Phantom was an iffy addition to the set, in my opinion, but Creature is absolutely essential. If you're not sold on the complete 30-film set, go with that UK box.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Liberal Idiot posted:

The cheaper one is a UK release, but it should be region-free. That's the one I have and it works fine in my Region 1 player. That more-expensive set is actually only 6 movies, compared to 8 in the UK set - it's missing Creature From the Black Lagoon and the 1943 Phantom of the Opera. The '43 Phantom was an iffy addition to the set, in my opinion, but Creature is absolutely essential. If you're not sold on the complete 30-film set, go with that UK box.

I totally agree that Creature From the Black Lagoon is essential. It's easily one of the two or three best looking films in there, although of course it has the advantage of having been made a decade+ later than most of the others.

Edit: ninja edit, drat you

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I totally agree that Creature From the Black Lagoon is essential. It's easily one of the two or three best looking films in there, although of course it has the advantage of having been made a decade+ later than most of the others.

Edit: ninja edit, drat you

Sorry, I mixed up which set I was recommending and had to clarify.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It’s pretty impressive how well the suit in Creature holds up in HD.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

Yea there's a ton of detail in the scales and all up and down his torso, if anything you can appreciate the work put into it even more in the higher resolution.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

There's a reason the Creature has become iconic - that suit looks fantastic in the water and out of the water. There really aren't any monster designs from that same period that were as well-realized. You look at other movies from that time that ended up being regarded about the same, like "Thing From Another World," and it's not the monster's look that makes them work.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Plus even today having a suit like that looks that good while still being able to function underwater is an achievement.

What's everyone least favorite Universal monster movies of the ones in the 30 film set?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus even today having a suit like that looks that good while still being able to function underwater is an achievement.

What's everyone least favorite Universal monster movies of the ones in the 30 film set?

Probably one of the later Draculas. They're not much above Plan 9 From Outer Space, in that Lugosi mainly did them to buy morphine.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

Of the originals?

The Mummy.

One of the sequels or crossovers? That’s a little harder.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I have the Essential Collection(so not the big 30 film set), and the value there for me has been incredible. I've watched each movie at least twice and the thing cost me like $30.

Not sure what the concerns would be about the transfers in the set, as another poster was referring to. They all seem great to me.

Mostly I've heard some of the transfers aren't as good as others in the set along with stuff that sounds like quality control slacked in the packaging phase with missing discs or broken cases.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Franchescanado posted:

Of the originals?

The Mummy.

One of the sequels or crossovers? That’s a little harder.

Yeah The Mummy’s just kinda blah and boring.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

Yeah The Mummy’s just kinda blah and boring.

For a mummy movie, it’s really only interested in a boring love triangle where one of the suitors has magic powers by staring at a puddle.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Mummy is also the one where for me Hammer made a completely superior version, so it's hard to sit down and watch the Universal film without kinda wishing I was just watching Hammer instead.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

The Mummy is also the one where for me Hammer made a completely superior version, so it's hard to sit down and watch the Universal film without kinda wishing I was just watching Hammer instead.

100% this. I enjoy all of the Hammer Mummy films, even Blood From The Mummy's Tomb.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm also firmly in the "The Mummy isn't interesting at all" camp, but like I mentioned earlier the 1943 Phantom of the Opera doesn't really deserve to be included with the rest of the Universal Monster movies. It's an upgrade from the 1925 version only in that it has sound and color. Nothing beats Chaney's makeup from the original and it feels like all of the effort went into making the opera portions look lavish. It's watchable, but not much of a horror movie.

But as far as my least-favorite of that entire set, it has to be "She-Wolf of London," for reasons that I can't get into due to spoilers. The rest of those movies are either absolutely brilliant or at least stupid-fun.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
It's been years since I've seen the Karloff Mummy but those movies are kind of neat as a proto-slasher series.

Also, it's insane because each sequel takes a huge time jump to the point that the final one is set in 1995 even though it's blatantly the 40s.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I like The Mummy just fine, it’s just a gothic romance and not a horror movie.

Almost Blue posted:

It's been years since I've seen the Karloff Mummy but those movies are kind of neat as a proto-slasher series.

Also, it's insane because each sequel takes a huge time jump to the point that the final one is set in 1995 even though it's blatantly the 40s.

Wait which movie is this?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

Wait which movie is this?

"The Mummy's Curse" takes place 25 years after "The Mummy's Tomb," which is supposed to be 30 years after "The Mummy's Hand." It's worse than the Friday the 13th timeline!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Liberal Idiot posted:

"The Mummy's Curse" takes place 25 years after "The Mummy's Tomb," which is supposed to be 30 years after "The Mummy's Hand." It's worse than the Friday the 13th timeline!

It's one of those 'don't think too hard about it' kinda things.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Ranking:

Frankenstein
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Wolfman
Dracula

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Okay but now do it by who’s cutest

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Same order, I'd say

Depends on if you think Wolfman is cuter than the Creature.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Ranking:

Frankenstein
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Wolfman
Dracula

I’d switch Dracula and Wolfman.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Are these by movie, or by monster? Because if by movie:

Frankenstein
Creature From the Black Lagoon
Dracula
Wolf Man

But if by monster:

Wolf Man
Frankenstein
Dracula

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
If by movie

Dracula
Frankenstein
Invisible Man
Creature
Phantom

Wolf Man (aside from the sets and Bela, it isn't very good)

Still haven't seen Mummy.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Lon Chaney Jr. just isn’t as good of an actor as Bela or Boris.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Chaney Jr. is a great Larry Talbot and that's about it as far as he goes. Broadening the scope:

1. The Invisible Man
2. Bride of Frankenstein
3. Frankenstein
4. Creature From the Black Lagoon
5. Dracula
6. Son of Frankenstein
7. Dracula's Daughter
8. Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein
9. Werewolf of London
10. Ghost of Frankenstein
11. Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man
12. The Wolf Man
13. The Mummy's Curse
14. House of Frankenstein
15. The Creature Walks Among Us
16. The Invisible Woman
17. House of Dracula
18. The Mummy's Tomb
19. The Mummy's Hand
20. The Mummy's Curse
21. Phantom of the Opera (1943)
22. Son of Dracula
23. The Invisible Man Returns
24. Revenge of the Creature
25. Invisible Agent
26. The Mummy's Ghost
27. The Invisible Man's Revenge
28. Abbot & Costello Meet the Mummy
29. She-Wolf of London

I haven't seen A&C Meet the Invisible Man yet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Liberal Idiot posted:

Are these by movie, or by monster? Because if by movie:

Frankenstein
Dracula
Wolf Man

But if by monster:

Wolf Man
Frankenstein
Dracula

Dude what. How can you rank Lugosi's Dracula lower than the wolfman, but rank his movie higher. He's the best part of the film!!!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

The best part of the movie is either the armadillo or the wasp casket, actually

E: honorable mention to the Van Helsing PowerStance(tm)

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 9, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like Arnold Vosloo.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Dude what. How can you rank Lugosi's Dracula lower than the wolfman, but rank his movie higher. He's the best part of the film!!!

My rankings do not reflect how thin the margins are between each entry, to be fair. I think Chaney's Wolf Man is a better monster than Universal's Dracula because I like the cursed/conflicted aspect of his character. Lugosi is great and there's a touch of that in his performance, but with only two "official" appearances as Dracula he doesn't as many opportunities to show as many facets of the character.

Of course, Christopher Lee's Dracula blows them both out of the water by having literally ONE facet to his character, but that's a whole different thing.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

What about a Dracula with NO facets to his character?

Is he mad? Scared? Hurt? Horny? Who knows? He doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s that “I pooped myself” face