Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if people are talking about the Slate and the Pixelbook in the same conversation but just to be clear there is no i3 Pixelbook. There's actually no i3 Slate either, it's an m3.

The only difference between the lower two Pixelbook models is storage. I have the 256GB i5 and I think that's probably the best option as 128GB can disappear once you start using Linux containers. For just browsing you don't really need it but that point it's hard to say that the thing is really good value at all as there are cheaper Chromebooks that fill that use case just fine.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Anyone tried running JASP on the Linux VM? It runs for me but it's broken in some key ways (no graphics, no file access). I installed it the official way, via flatpak, but should I try compiling it or something?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Tunga posted:

I have the 256GB i5 and I think that's probably the best option as 128GB can disappear once you start using Linux containers.

I'd normally agree that more storage the better on a fixed-storage device (i.e. one you cannot change later). Had I not just come from my Linux laptop, with a 256gb SSD, partitioned about equally between Linux and Windows, I'd also be worried, but I didn't run up against the space limits of either of them in my case. That, and with the direct intention of offloading some storage onto the microSD card (howsoever it is available), and most of all aware of the disproportionate price jumps between 128gb to 256g, I may go 128gb.

A lot of this post is convincing myself I am aware of what I'm getting into. I could see myself being wrong if, for example, Linux apps gain raging popularity due to ChromeOS supporting them.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Edit: Sorry for the post, I figured it out

loudog999 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 8, 2018

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is a used Acer C720 with 4GB RAM/Core i3-4005U for ~$60 a good deal?

[edit] Reason I ask is I'm fond of my C720 2GB RAM/Celeron 2995U and have been using it daily since its release. It's EOL is coming up next year, so I eventually want to throw Ubuntu or GalliumOS onto it, but had me thinking its specs are a little anemic so I ventured to eBay to look for the i3 variant of the C720 and came across a seller who has a handful of them in working condition. I don't care for USB-C or Android apps on a Chromebook (or should I?), so thought that getting a used C720 with i3/4GB RAM might be a decent option to consider.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 10, 2018

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

teagone posted:

Is a used Acer C720 with 4GB RAM/Core i3-4005U for ~$60 a good deal?

For $60 I'd be hard pressed to think of reasons why not. When you say it's EOL, when does Google's Automatic Updates stop for that model?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Edit: HP CB 13 refurbs are available again; the m3 version is still a good deal at $340.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For that performance at that price, go for it. I recommend at least 4 GB of RAM and that 2C4T i3 is solid. I wouldn't worry about not having access to Android apps if you don't have a need for them now (and you probably have an Android phone/tablet anyway,) and for that price it doesn't really matter if official support is limited to another 6 months.

Heners_UK posted:

For $60 I'd be hard pressed to think of reasons why not. When you say it's EOL, when does Google's Automatic Updates stop for that model?

June of next year for the C720.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 11, 2018

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Atomizer posted:

For that performance at that price, go for it. I recommend at least 4 GB of RAM and that 2C4T i3 is solid. I wouldn't worry about not having access to Android apps if you don't have a need for them now (and you probably have an Android phone/tablet anyway,) and for that price it doesn't really matter if official support is limited to another 6 months.

I ended up getting it for ~$48 after tax since the seller had a 'best offer' option set. It doesn't come with its original charger though. I should be able to use the one from my own Celeron-based C720 right?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah I'm sure that all of the variants of that same model use the exact same power supply. It's probably a 65 W, and the barrel connector is definitely the same. You could likely get a spare though for like $10 or less.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
My dad's computer died and he's asking for my advice for a new one. I have only had Chromebooks, with a little experience with Windows and Mac, so I'm probably bias. I steered him towards the Asus Chromebox 3 with the i3 processor, and the largest storage and ram available. He's been talking about getting a flatscreen TV for years, so I told him he should get the aforementioned Chromebox, a flatscreen TV that does 4k from a reputable company, and a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I asked him what he does with his computer besides browse the interwebz and YouTube. He responded that he uses word, which is an easy answer, but he also stated that he uses Photoshop at times. He also stated that he plans to keep his very old Windows machine that has Windows 95 in order to use his old GIS software from way back, but maybe Photoshop as well. Am I steering him in the right direction?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

That sounds fine, although depending on what you're paying for that Chromebox (and if you're doing the RAM/SSD upgrades yourself) you might just be able to get him a Chromebook that'll work the same but have some added portability should he find that useful. He can use office.com for Word if he doesn't want to use Google Docs. I've used Photoshop Express before, but beyond that and the other recommendations in the OP, I don't do much photo editing myself.

I often recommend having a spare Windows machine on your network, because that can facilitate Google Cloud Printing if necessary and you can also connect to it remotely to run any other software (like Photoshop) but I haven't known anyone to run Win95 in a long time. :stare: I mean is his legacy software really so old it can't be run on a more modern version of Windows (if a modern version of that software isn't available?)

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Atomizer posted:

That sounds fine, although depending on what you're paying for that Chromebox
This is what I have suggested to him

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221516

I've used Photoshop Express before, but beyond that and the other recommendations in the OP, I don't do much photo editing myself.
[/quote]
There are programs that I have liked him to, but I am not sure what functionality he needs, but I will link him to what is posted on the OP. Whatever functionality he needs seems to be met by his old rear end Windows machine.
[/quote]
I often recommend having a spare Windows machine on your network, because that can facilitate Google Cloud Printing if necessary
[/quote]
[/quote] you can also connect to it remotely to run any other software (like Photoshop) but I haven't known anyone to run Win95 in a long time. :stare: I mean is his legacy software really so old it can't be run on a more modern version of Windows (if a modern version of that software isn't available?)
[/quote]
He has GIS software that he paid good money for way back that he is not willing to spend again for the Windows machine that he is replacing, but I assume Google maps probably does almost does now what that software did then.
Sorry if the format is hosed, but I'm posting from phone. Please forgive great Goons.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I’ve had an Acer R11 for a few years now and really like it, except when I try to use it for Android games. It feels really iffy - I’ve had several different games crash/lock up continuously to the point of being unplayable. What am I doing wrong?

Not trying anything esoteric, just stuff I download from the Play Store. Currently trying to play Eternal and it won’t run longer than 5-10 minutes without locking up. Have Chome running with 5-6 pages and that’s it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Boxing Day sales wise... I'm not seeing anything significant on the higher end side (8gb RAM + as much storage as I can get) except the Pixelbook -$300 deal. The Acer Chromebook Spin 13 isn't even in stock in most cases. Wondering if I hold out (past boxing day/year end)...

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Heners_UK posted:

Boxing Day sales wise... I'm not seeing anything significant on the higher end side (8gb RAM + as much storage as I can get) except the Pixelbook -$300 deal. The Acer Chromebook Spin 13 isn't even in stock in most cases. Wondering if I hold out (past boxing day/year end)...

CES in January will probably see some device announcements from different manufacturers, but they likely won't hit shelves until a few months afterwards.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
On the subject of stuff that will probably happen around then: Dual Booting with Windows is coming to Pixelbook, then others...

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
gross poor pixelbooks

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

If anyone's interested in a 2015 Pixel 2 LS, I'm selling mine on SA-Mart.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
ChromeOS adjacent question but what are people doing for scanning with CBs? My MIL has a Google Cloud Print enabled Brother laser AIO and the printing parts work excellently, but I was sat in bed last night wondering what I'd do about scanning.

EDIT: Mainly to prove I take advice as well as ask for it, I've been borrowing my MIL's Chromebook for about a week since my old laptop is really toast. It's an Asus C302CA. Frankly, I enjoyed it:
* SSH: This was the important one as I spend quite a while in SSH onto various servers. Worked well. Couldn't generate an RSA key locally, never got round to doing it on the server (but I'm sure I could).
* Plex and Prime Video
* Browsing in Tablet Mode, in Portrait: Frankly I liked this a lot more than I thought. I was on the sofa getting some reading done looking sophisticated when in fact I was just browsing SA.
* Touch while typing: I found myself doing this more than I thought. For just hammering the send button in GMail or similar, it was as easy as any other way and a new habit I took up quickly. Nothing made me necessarily but I do like it.
* Battery life: I basically charged it twice in a week.
* Lack of headaches: As I said, when I pick up a laptop at the end of the day, I just want it to work as I zone out. This did it well.
* Getting poo poo done: Before I gave it back, I had to quickly type a letter and use GCP to print it + some attachments. Easy and as quick as anywhere else.

Overall - I can not only live with this, I reckon I'll enjoy taking the edge off Computer Janitoring for a bit at home. Get paid for that at work.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 2, 2019

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Scanning is one of those things, along with printing, that people don't do much anymore, although specific users certainly still have a need for either or both. The simplest thing to do is honestly to just use your phone's camera, and when I was in a photography class almost 15 years ago the school even had a setup to use a DSLR for this purpose, so that shows you how deprecated dedicated scanners have become. There's even a PhotoScan Android app by Google, you can give that a shot.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Atomizer posted:

The simplest thing to do is honestly to just use your phone's camera

Oh I do, with ScanBot for Android if you're wondering. Google Drive also has a scanner in it. However, the resulting scan files are much larger than comparable ones from works Konica scanners. I do find myself sifting through a lot of paperwork that ideally I just want to scan and keep, but that said your point still stands about it being rarer.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

My wife and I seem to need to print + sign + scan things fairly often (a working from home thing, I guess), and we got sick of going to FedEx so when our old printer broke we got one with a scanner. Right now to scan I use gscan2pdf via its IP address (on my Linux desktop, but it would probably work in crouton/crostini). Pretty soon I'm ditching my desktop though and then I'll probably try figure out the scan+email functionality.

Basically, if you need a printer or scanner, especially if you're a chromebook user, you pretty much have to get one that's Google Cloud Print ready (or reliably have another computer nearby). It will probably also have some functionality for cloud scanning. Nothing as nice as Google Cloud Print I'm sure, but it should work.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Do home printer/scanners have scan to email? Our work ones do but I dunno if that is an enterprise model thing.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Brother's do, at least. They also have a Brother app for cloud stuff (with a scan feature) that seems to be aimed at consumer models. I can't say I'm familiar with any other manufacturers but that's my impression from Brother at least.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Dammit, I meant to grab one of those refurb HP CB 13 m3 from woot yesterday after work, but I forgot and now they're sold out. How often does that deal come up?

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Zack Ater posted:

Dammit, I meant to grab one of those refurb HP CB 13 m3 from woot yesterday after work, but I forgot and now they're sold out. How often does that deal come up?

I see them every few weeks. I picked one up a while back. Ended up with a defective battery after a few days, called HP and they hooked me up with a new one and it took about ten minutes to replace, not a problem since. It's a business class chromebook so you'll get top notch support should you ever need it. Definitely worth the wait to get one. Love mine.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Nulldevice posted:

I see them every few weeks. I picked one up a while back. Ended up with a defective battery after a few days, called HP and they hooked me up with a new one and it took about ten minutes to replace, not a problem since. It's a business class chromebook so you'll get top notch support should you ever need it. Definitely worth the wait to get one. Love mine.

Fantastic, thanks!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
If I wanted to get a Chromebook for my 5th grader who will use it for doing homework / school stuff (they have Chromebooks in school) and probably not much else with a budget of around $300, what would be a couple good options?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I like my Acer 14" - it's a clone of the macbook air and has a 1080p IPS screen. Mine is from a couple of years ago, and I'm not sure if they've refreshed the innards since then. It doesn't have a touchscreen.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah, this is the one he's talking about; there are used ones <$300 in that listing alone, you could also check eBay.

I also have a list of recommended models and specs in the first two posts; the list is kind of out-of-date and there have been a lot of new models released over the past year, but the suggested specs remain the same. Just make sure you get the requisite RAM, CPU, and display and you'll have a solid CB.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, this is the one he's talking about; there are used ones <$300 in that listing alone, you could also check eBay.

I also have a list of recommended models and specs in the first two posts; the list is kind of out-of-date and there have been a lot of new models released over the past year, but the suggested specs remain the same. Just make sure you get the requisite RAM, CPU, and display and you'll have a solid CB.

Cool, thank you both. I checked the OP and saw it hadn't been updated since 2017, so I figured I would double check!

This one: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-Aluminum-14-inch-CB3-431-C5FM/dp/B01CVOLVPA/ref=sr_1_3 is $10 more and appears to have more storage (according to the product grid down below in the link you posted) but they are the same model, yes? Although the listing of the one you linked to says one thing (32M storage, 1920 x 1080 display up top) and another (16M storage, 1366 x 768 display) in the 'Compare Items' grid. I'm assuming this is Amazon messing up, and that there aren't two 14" ACERS with different resolutions?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Asus updates the beloved C302 with the C434. In short:

* Up to 128gb eMMC storage
* Up to 8gb ram
* i7-8500Y, i5-8200Y, or M3-8100Y
* 2x USB-C ports and 1x USB-A port
* microSD slot
* 14in 1080p touchscreen with 5mm bezels.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Lumpy posted:

Cool, thank you both. I checked the OP and saw it hadn't been updated since 2017, so I figured I would double check!

This one: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-Aluminum-14-inch-CB3-431-C5FM/dp/B01CVOLVPA/ref=sr_1_3 is $10 more and appears to have more storage (according to the product grid down below in the link you posted) but they are the same model, yes? Although the listing of the one you linked to says one thing (32M storage, 1920 x 1080 display up top) and another (16M storage, 1366 x 768 display) in the 'Compare Items' grid. I'm assuming this is Amazon messing up, and that there aren't two 14" ACERS with different resolutions?

Yeah there hasn't been much in the way of new technology in terms of ChromeOS for me to have the need to update the bulk of the info in the OP, aside from native Linux software support, which is itself still in development.

As far as the hardware goes, there are certainly new models (which I haven't used myself) but they all fundamentally work the same, so fortunately that means you can't really strike out (for the most part) and you can certainly find something for every price point.

You've discovered the Acer strategy of building a thousand different variants of each device. There are indeed versions of their 14" CB with different storage, display resolution, and IIRC RAM and possibly even CPU (i.e. the N3060 might be available and that's the dual-core version you should avoid.) They do this for all their models, and you can still find 15" Acers with only WXGA resolution. The local storage mostly doesn't matter (especially for older models, which may not have Android and/or Linux software support) but by all means get the 32 GB version. Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of getting the version without the full HD display, and any less than 4 GB of RAM. Also, as mentioned I strongly recommend quad-core CPUs, especially with these lower-power Atom chips.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That new Asus seems interesting but I don't know if I'm into it. I like the black keys the 302 has. Also, it says you can get an i7, and i5, or a third one and the price starts at 569. Does that mean the i7 version would end up being like 800 dollars? I'd be interested to see what kernel version it will run. If it can't do Crostini, that will be a hard pass and I'll stick with what I got.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I like the black keys the 302 has.
gently caress, now that I've seen it I cannot un-notice that.

Cojawfee posted:

Also, it says you can get an i7, and i5, or a third one and the price starts at 569. Does that mean the i7 version would end up being like 800 dollars?
I thought the same thing when I saw the 3 models. It's a safe assumption you'll see price jumps between the processors, but what they are yet is unknown. I wouldn't be surprised if its $100 per step in each important spec (e.g. for ram and storage too), but that cynicism and baseless speculation on my part.

EDIT: Based on this Asus press release/news post it looks like all models will have 8gb ram (good), storage and processor will vary.

Cojawfee posted:

I'd be interested to see what kernel version it will run. If it can't do Crostini, that will be a hard pass and I'll stick with what I got.
Do you mean if it can't run Crostini? Yes, I'd be avoiding it if it cannot as well.
Edit: clearly you do and I either misread or you ninja edited at a master level

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 8, 2019

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hmm, for the next ~22 hours, Woot has this Dell convertible CB for $300. That's not a bad deal for an Edu [read: ruggedized, durable] model with a recent CPU. I'd suggest going with the quad-core 3450 (and less storage) over the 3350. It has sufficient RAM, and the WXGA resolution is OK at 11". The Acer 14 is nicer (it's like a faux-Macbook Air) but larger, and something like the Dell may be more kid-resistant.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Heners_UK posted:

ChromeOS adjacent question but what are people doing for scanning with CBs?

I ended up finding an answer that worked for me. My MIL's Brother MFC-L2740DW (newer model here) can scan to Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox etc directly from it (a browser of some kind is required for setup only, not for routine use). FTP scanning is also an option. Was going at some pace when I looked into it but there are workable options at least there.

EDIT: Look I know my MIL sounds like some sort of tech genie, but she's got a house with space for this stuff whereas I've got a new kid, a condo, and because of both, minimal budgets :P

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 8, 2019

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is a Hp Chromebook 13 g1 with a Intel Core m5-6Y57 a good deal at $250?

Or should I just stop buy the Pixel 2 LS in the SA-mart?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is a Hp Chromebook 13 g1 with a Intel Core m5-6Y57 a good deal at $250?

Or should I just stop buy the Pixel 2 LS in the SA-mart?

Yes, the HP 13 is excellent, and that's a great price for the 2nd-most powerful variant; I use the m7 model daily (including right now.) I also have the Pixel LS, but I still baby that and use this HP to bang around on because I got it cheap (it was only $250 and supposed to be the base model with the Pentium but I received the top end model by mistake. :ninja:)

If you're talking about the LS listed for $400, I also think that's a good price for a slightly better model (the HP 13 is like a 2016 Pixel, but the actual 2015 Pixel is slightly better in terms of the keyboard, touchpad, display, CPU, and RAM.) If it's still available I'd lean towards that but the $250 HP is a good second choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looking for a Chromebook with USB-C charging + supports Crostini ("Linux"), under $300

Does not look like the 302 has Crostini support

This is the list: https://www.reddit.com/r/Crostini/wiki/getstarted/crostini-enabled-devices

I was leaning towards the Samsung 3 ($169 refurbished on amazon) but does not have the USB-C charging