Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

What about a Dracula with NO facets to his character?

Is he mad? Scared? Hurt? Horny? Who knows? He doesn't.

Man, I watched that expecting Palance to be nuts. Just an absolute weirdo talking in that, "I'm holding in a big poo poo" voice. But nope, he's boring as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

"Remember, Renfield...*HISSS*...yooouuuu...are my number one guuuuuyyy..."

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Bluedeanie posted:

What about a Dracula with NO facets to his character?

Is he mad? Scared? Hurt? Horny? Who knows? He doesn't.

This loaded as a tiny thumbnail for some reason and I thought it was Robert Z’Dar, and now I’m sad he never played Dracula.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Liberal Idiot posted:

"Remember, Renfield...*HISSS*...yooouuuu...are my number one guuuuuyyy..."

Yeah! This poo poo. I want the bad guy from Tango And Cash running around sucking blood.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

TheKingslayer posted:

Yeah! This poo poo. I want the bad guy from Tango And Cash running around sucking blood.

Or this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCn7N-NGUXE&t=129s

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

This is fantastic.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
whats this threads stance on the mummy starring brendan fraser

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

It's bad but it owns

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Ami a Bad Guy because whenever I see Jack Palance, i think "Hey, it's Curly from City Slickers!"?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Brendan Fraser Mummy movies own. Some dated CGI but otherwise great films.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gejimayu posted:

Ami a Bad Guy because whenever I see Jack Palance, i think "Hey, it's Curly from City Slickers!"?

I 100% do that.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

It's bad but it owns

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TheKingslayer posted:

I like when Robert Loggia played a dracula in Innocent Blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvB5oXzYNhs

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pomp posted:

Mummy and Returns are great. The latter being kind of bad but it’s still the main cast having a blast doing the sequel. Plus the best score ever.

Dragon Emperor sucks rear end entirely. It’s not redeemable at all. And the score is the worst score ever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Amityville II: The Possession (1982) was added to Prime recently. I've made a lot of posts in the past thread about the Amityville movies, none of them are good and the convoluted proflicness of them. No movie with "Amityville" in the name is great, but folks in this thread might like II for how grimy it can feel for an often in daylight movie in the suburbs. It's also the best one overall to me.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 10, 2019

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The best Dracula performance is Klaus Kinski's, simply because I'm convinced that he actually was a vampire in real life.

Pomp posted:

It's one of maybe half a dozen good mummy films.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Mummy(1999) was one of my favorite all time theater experiences, because the sound in that movie is just ridiculous. I've never watched it on any home setup that ever really compared to how it sounded in the theater.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

this guy gets it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Deep Rising is a treasure. Satan bless Stephen Sommers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CelticPredator posted:

Mummy and Returns are great. The latter being kind of bad but it’s still the main cast having a blast doing the sequel. Plus the best score ever.

Dragon Emperor sucks rear end entirely. It’s not redeemable at all. And the score is the worst score ever.

The Mummy Returns is many times worse than The Mummy. It has atrocious cinematography, much worse CGI (and much more of it), and like the first half of the movie is just the first movie but sped up?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The Mummy Returns is many times worse than The Mummy. It has atrocious cinematography, much worse CGI (and much more of it), and like the first half of the movie is just the first movie but sped up?

Everyone brings up the gif earlier, but it really is crazy how bad almost all of the CG in that movie is (even for it's time).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah but the characters are on point and they’re great.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The plots a jumbled mess too. I always felt like The Mummy (1999) should have been followed with something like The Wolfman or The Vampire and had the same crew run afoul of different monsters. The actual mummy stuff always seemed secondary to the Indiana Jones adventure stuff to me anyway.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The idea of that huge Army of Anubis or whatever was really good, and the Scorpion King could've been good too if they gave him the proper attention and didn't shoehorn him into the last ten minutes. They made the mistake of thinking they had to keep Imhotep as the primary villain when it would've been a better idea to let him cool off and have him return in the third movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah but the characters are on point and they're great.

The mummy himself is wildly out of character. He shouldn't even be in the film, really, but if he's going to be in it he maybe shouldn't be a pathetic shadow of the villain he was in the first one.

Neo Rasa posted:

Everyone brings up the gif earlier, but it really is crazy how bad almost all of the CG in that movie is (even for it's time).

That whole chase scene in the middle of the film is spectacularly terrible.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The mummy himself is wildly out of character. He shouldn't even be in the film, really, but if he's going to be in it he maybe shouldn't be a pathetic shadow of the villain he was in the first one.

That whole chase scene in the middle of the film is spectacularly terrible.

Yeah the worst thing about the sequels is they just pile on characters and villains to the original plot. It’s kind of like the Pirates movies.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Just a quick reminder that The Mummy also had a Saturday morning adaptation.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The Mummy rules. The Mummy Returns is baaaaaaad. It’s the exact kind of bloated, convoluted nonsense that the latter Pirates Of The Caribbean movies became synonymous with.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watch Tomb of the Dragon emperor and then you’ll have a better appreciation for The Mummy Returns.

Honestly I think the film is pretty fantastic up until Alex gets snatched. Then it kind of meanders. But I still dig it a whole lot.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

~ reincarnated Nefertiti subplot ~

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. But I dunno. I like watching Rachel Weisz kick rear end.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fart City posted:

The Mummy rules. The Mummy Returns is baaaaaaad. It’s the exact kind of bloated, convoluted nonsense that the latter Pirates Of The Caribbean movies became synonymous with.

All they had to do was keep it simple and like at the end of The Mummy have Rachel Weisz back working at a library or whatever and be like oh look this is an interesting volume but it's about the Wolfman or Dracula instead of Mummies and have each sequel be them doing archaeology stuff and then running into a new monster. Also have his whiny buddy Benny come back and then ally himself with that movie's monster each time with no explanation for how he got out alive the last time.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Timeless Appeal posted:

Just a quick reminder that The Mummy also had a Saturday morning adaptation.

holy poo poo i forgot about this

CelticPredator posted:

Watch Tomb of the Dragon emperor and then you’ll have a better appreciation for The Mummy Returns.

i dont think i'm going to do that

Neo Rasa posted:

All they had to do was keep it simple and like at the end of The Mummy have Rachel Weisz back working at a library or whatever and be like oh look this is an interesting volume but it's about the Wolfman or Dracula instead of Mummies and have each sequel be them doing archaeology stuff and then running into a new monster. Also have his whiny buddy Benny come back and then ally himself with that movie's monster each time with no explanation for how he got out alive the last time.

Benny is the best part of the movie. Whatever that accent that actor is going for is, it alone elevates every scene he's in

Pomp fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 10, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I will admit that The Mummy Returns has a dope-rear end score by Alan Silvestri.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SI6TCbEkyY

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
For anybody who has seen both, is Body Melt better or worse than Street Trash?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fart City posted:

I will admit that The Mummy Returns has a dope-rear end score by Alan Silvestri.

i've maybe listened to it hundreds of times. Since 2001 it's been my go to favorite score to listen too, and still is. I adore it.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Fart City posted:

Alan Silvestri seems to do good work for bad but fun horror-adjacent films. His soundtrack for Van Helsing owns bones.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Drunkboxer posted:

The plots a jumbled mess too. I always felt like The Mummy (1999) should have been followed with something like The Wolfman or The Vampire and had the same crew run afoul of different monsters. The actual mummy stuff always seemed secondary to the Indiana Jones adventure stuff to me anyway.

Brendan Fraser vs Monsters replacing the avengers happened in Commie America timeline

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Almost Blue posted:

For anybody who has seen both, is Body Melt better or worse than Street Trash?

That depends on a few factors. Street Trash is more sleazier and does have some parts that might not sit well with some. Body Melt is around par for gore but feels very 80s-ish to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan Silvesteri is my all time favorite composer. That dude rocks 90% of everything he does imo. The other 10% is those boring Zemekis films he does and the scores like Forrest Gump which are fine but they don’t get me fuckin pumped like most of his work.

The Quick and The Dead is a great score too, and an awesome merging of my favorite director and my favorite composer.