Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Vargo posted:

You know what? Here's a new rule. Let's just go with a general "Don't be a creep" rule. This means don't act like an actress' breasts are a seperate person, don't obsess over whether a woman's body is "right" to play a superhero, don't say that women could stand to lose a few pounds, make ironic sexist remarks at your own risk, basic simple stuff. (Don't tell us what you masturbate to.)

If you want to say how good-looking an actress or actor is, go ahead, but don't be a creep about it, and at least try to have something else mor substantial to contribute to the discussion.

A whole bunch of stuff is happening, namely that ten de facto 'comic book movies' are coming out this year. Also, Disney is finalizing the monopolization of the entertainment industry by buying most of 21st Century Fox's assets. Other than that, everything's fine. Here are upcoming movies, organized by universe:

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Spider-Man: Far From Home - July 2, 2019
Black Widow - May 7, 2021
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - July 9, 2021
Eternals - November 5, 2021
Spider-Man: Far From Home sequel - December 17, 2021
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - March 25, 2022
Thor: Love and Thunder - May 6, 2022
Black Panther sequel - July 8, 2022
Captain Marvel 2 - November 11, 2022

DC Extended Universe

Birds of Prey - February 7, 2020
Wonder Woman 1984 - December 25, 2020
Zack Snyder's Justice League - March 2021
The Suicide Squad - August 6, 2021
The Flash - November 4, 2022
Aquaman sequel - December 16, 2022
Shazam! Fury of the Gods - June 2, 2023
Black Adam - TBD

X-Men film universe

Dark Phoenix - June 7, 2019
The New Mutants - August 28, 2020

Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters

Morbius - March 19, 2021
Venom: Let There Be Carnage - June 25, 2021
Nightwatch - TBD
Kraven the Hunter - TBD
Sinister Six - TBD

Valiant Cinematic Universe

Bloodshot - March 13, 2020
Harbinger - TBD
Harbinger sequel - TBD
Bloodshot sequel - TBD
Harbinger Wars - TBD
Archer & Armstrong - TBD
Shadowman - TBD

Others

Joker - October 4, 2019
The King's Man - February 26, 2021
The Batman - March 4, 2022
DC Super Pets - May 20, 2022
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse sequel - October 7, 2022
Malignant Man - TBD
Rising Stars - TBD
Spawn reboot - TBD
Birthright - TBD

If I missed anything, please tell me and I'll add it to the OP.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Other than Wonder Woman 1984, there's no comic book movies i'm really looking forward to. I haven't felt that way about this genre since before the current MCU started with Iron Man really. Nothing coming out in the next 2 years looks interesting at all.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's always Godzilla King of the Monsters 2019 to throw your money at

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Other than Wonder Woman 1984, there's no comic book movies i'm really looking forward to. I haven't felt that way about this genre since before the current MCU started with Iron Man really. Nothing coming out in the next 2 years looks interesting at all.

If they can keep the magic of the Spider-verse alive that will be great. And with Incredibles 2 making over a billion dollars (like holy poo poo I didn't realize this til the other day) they might make a sequel sooner rather than later but if they actually want Brad Bird to direct (i.e. for it to be any good) it will probably be a minimum of 5 years.

Burkion posted:

Oh yeah and this will rule.

But yeah with literally every other franchise including Hellboy and Deadpool getting the Marvel makeover poo poo it looking grim for the immediate future.

(oh I guess Joker looks promising, maybe more "prestige" stuff will come out of that)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'll be shocked if the New Mutants gets a theatrical release at this point.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

kinda building off the Captain Marvel "woke washing" conversation that was going on

remember how last year we saw that CIA tweet that was pretty outstanding evidence for Black Panther being a CIA psy-op? Now remember that Captain Marvel is an Air Force pilot. I bet we're going to see a bunch of awful military collabs for this movie. like Wonder Woman was a military hero as well but it was the Amazonian military which, last I recall, doesn't have multiple forever wars ruining the planet as we live and breath.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Burkion posted:

I am pretty hyped for that but didn't consider it a comic book movie.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Spacebump posted:

I'll be shocked if the New Mutants gets a theatrical release at this point.

I have a feeling that it is just going to the thrown on Netflix or something like that, it's a shame because the trailer looks interesting, but the massive delays can't be good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They should surprise release it as a double feature with Dark Phoenix.

edit: or as the movie's after-credit scene.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 10, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The new Mads Mikkelsen Netflix film Polar is based on a comic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMHwRal-AR8

The MIB franchise was also based on a comic so Men In Black International should also count
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV-WEb2oxLk

Mark & Brian Gunn's upcoming Brightburn isn't based on any actual comic but it's a horror version of Man of Steel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6eB0JT1DI4

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DC Murderverse posted:

kinda building off the Captain Marvel "woke washing" conversation that was going on

remember how last year we saw that CIA tweet that was pretty outstanding evidence for Black Panther being a CIA psy-op? Now remember that Captain Marvel is an Air Force pilot. I bet we're going to see a bunch of awful military collabs for this movie. like Wonder Woman was a military hero as well but it was the Amazonian military which, last I recall, doesn't have multiple forever wars ruining the planet as we live and breath.

I feel like the Air Force and Marvel don't particularly get along since around Avengers they stopped providing any kind of material or consulting support for the film due to issues they had with military depiction. Also while I agree somewhat with the sentiment of the post talking about "woke washing" I see almost nothing positive coming out of the term in the future, it's too close to "SJW" or something, we should avoid making it a thing.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm going to add 'woke washing' to the same pile I put 'SJW'. Oh no a company did a mildly positive thing and spins it oh no better complain for twenty pages

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

They're both negative terms people attach to companies who make films but one is used by Nazis to complain that films aren't promoting fascism and the other is used by people who aren't Nazis to make a complaint that isn't about a lack of fascism so they're not really the same (in that one is bad)

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
"woke washing" is unnecessary since "performative wokeness" is already a thing.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah, I use the term “performative wokeness” because I want to emphasize that “wokeness” is a good concept, it’s just that the accused is being completely insincere and will drop it as soon as it becomes inconvenient.

“Woke washing” takes from “white washing,” which is a criticism of a group being too white. You wouldn’t criticize something for being too woke.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

lmao if you believe anything Disney does isn’t carefully orchestrated by a marketing team to generate maximum profits above all else

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It is Corporate Approved Wokeness

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Burkion posted:

It is Corporate Approved Wokeness

I like this one

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/StephMcMahon/status/581881800659591168?s=20

Never trust a corporation.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Pirate Jet posted:

“Woke washing” takes from “white washing,” which is a criticism of a group being too white. You wouldn’t criticize something for being too woke.

That use of "white washing" is kind of a pun? Generally people use "white washing" to mean covering up something embarrassing, like the paint. That's why "woke washing" works, the woke is being used as a cover for inherently regressive ideas.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This is a trash thread for trash people.

Comic books are trash.

Comic book movies are even worse trash.

Comic book movie fans are the worst trash of all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Welcome, fellow trash.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

BE ADVISED THAT I AM AN IDIOT WHO WILL OPT FOR INSULTING AND BELITTLING YOUR INTELLIGENCE INSTEAD OF ASSUMING MY LOGIC IS FLAWED IN ANY WAY, IF I DO THIS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO IGNORE ME.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mordiceius posted:

This is a trash thread for trash people.

Comic books are trash.

Comic book movies are even worse trash.

Comic book movie fans are the worst trash of all.

On the other hand, we are already eating from the trash can all the time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pirate Jet posted:

I think it's more a take on greenwashing/pinkwashing/purplewashing which is when corporations promote themselves as being environmentally/LGBTQ+/feminism conscientious as a PR stunt because an ad agency advised them it would add value to their brand, pretty much a corporate version of virtue signalling.

On the one hand this kind of thing definitely goes on a whole bunch, on the other hand once these labels start getting thrown around it'll make it a lot easier for right wing chuds to dismiss any genuine attempts at organisational change.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah, that’s the difficulty of it. Trump and his fans have been accusing every bit of negative news of being “fake news” for so long it’s easy to forget it’s a term first popularized by liberals about a legitimate concern. But that’s still why I’m not a fan of “wokewashing” - it is way too easy to co-opt. Angry nerds who spend all their time screaming on the internet about women in Ghostbusters and Battlefield have adopted the phrase “go woke go broke” to try and reinforce their idea that playing to leftist sensibilities goes against the public opinion (while ignoring the hundred other times the opposite happened.) “Woke” is a term used simultaneously as a compliment by the left and an insult by the right, but still essentially means the same thing - so “woke washing” can easily be spun into an insult by the right to describe an IP turning more progressive to the anger of losers. “Performative wokeness” is much more direct about the issue - there’s wokeness there, but it’s not because the person espousing it actually believes these things, they just want to fit in with a crowd.

Anyways, I will follow all this by saying that it doesn’t actually matter what specific words people use and I’ll be able to easily tell what they mean through context, also Captain Marvel looks like crap and I’m sick of the MCU hoovering up good talented actors and filmmakers to make garbage for the next five to ten years of their life.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can only speak for myself, but I am trash. Comic book movies however own overall despite my previous mention of not being that terribly interested in anything coming up over the next few years.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Fair enough, as the guy who originally described it as "woke-washing" I agree with all your points/concerns and won't do it anymore. I like CAW (corporate approved wokeness) very much and that is what I shall use going forward.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

“Yeah you need to talk to Helen in HR if you want to get that wokeness approved, we’ve almost reached our woke limit for the month and anything after that is gonna be wokeness pro bono and we just can’t afford that if we’re gonna keep this wokeness program going through the fiscal year. If she says yes that’s great but if she says no I’m gonna need you to ramp up the racism.”

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I posted it in the '18 thread before it closed, so I'm just gonna rephrase it here:

Let's just call it "trickle-down economics." If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
May I refer to it as trickle-down wokenomics?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Brandpandering

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Edward Mass posted:

Valiant Comics film universe

Bloodshot - February 21, 2020
Harbinger - TBD
Harbinger sequel - TBD
Bloodshot sequel - TBD
Harbinger Wars - TBD
Archer & Armstrong - TBD
Shadowman - TBD

I've been reading through the modern Valiant stuff for the past couple years and that's an interesting line-up. For one, they're foregoing some of their top properties.

Doing Bloodshot (Wolverine knockoff) and Harbinger (X-Men knockoff) now is probably the best time to do it when the actual X-Men movie franchise is collapsing and going to be on the cusp of a reboot. Shadowman sucks, but I guess "Voodoo Ghost Rider" is unique enough to potentially stand out these days.

Archer and Armstrong is basically the Final Sacrifice only Zap Rowsdower is immortal, so the quicker that can come out, the better.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hey, what the gently caress is up with the secret illuminati people in Avengers 1? You know, the dudes that pushed the button on nuking new york?

Like, did their rank supercede that of the President of the US? Was POTUS on that council? Do they outrank UN? Where they ever mentioned again?

What was even the point of them anyways? Why give them a role you just as easily could have given to the POTUS?

Like, the more I think about it the more confusing it gets.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I presumed that was HYDRA the whole time and that gets revealed in Winter Soldier.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I presumed that was HYDRA the whole time and that gets revealed in Winter Soldier.

At least one of them (Gideon Malick) was definitely a HYDRA higher-up and plays a large part in the third SHIELD season.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Re: performative wokeness

lol

HIRE MORE WOMEN GUARDSPILOTS

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah he pulls the first Inhuman from an alien prison that now inhabits the body of Agent Ward who turns out to be the founder of Hydra and an actual cthulhu like evil being who can do.... something? I don't know, eat people, mind control? I don't remember. The kree show up to try and take him out but they get pulped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah he pulls the first Inhuman from an alien prison that now inhabits the body of Agent Ward who turns out to be the founder of Hydra and an actual cthulhu like evil being who can do.... something? I don't know, eat people, mind control? I don't remember. The kree show up to try and take him out but they get pulped.

How can he be the founder of Hydra when we literally see Red Skull found Hydra in Captain America?