Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

My first job was bagging groceries. I would make more in tips than my actual salary. That was nearly 40 years ago.

Bagging groceries is now a lost art form. I use reusable bags when I go grocery shopping and the baggers will cram as much as possible into one bag so that it's near bursting and hand me back the other ones empty. I almost always have to rebag everything.

My favorite is when they cram your insulated bags full of dry goods and then throw all your frozen or refrigerated poo poo in the normal bags. Like, come on. Use a bit of goddamn sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The store I go to I pretty much have to use the self checkout if I want more half my stuff bagged. Otherwise the cashier's are all like, "Oh just leave that in the cart."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Davros1 posted:

The store I go to I pretty much have to use the self checkout if I want more half my stuff bagged. Otherwise the cashier's are all like, "Oh just leave that in the cart."

In the case of the stores I go to, the baggers and cashiers are better and faster at scanning and bagging my stuff than I am, so I'll usually go through a line, because the self-check-out kiosks are generally filled with people who haven't had to develop that skill. I generally haven't had an issue with them.

That said,I will use the pick-up-a-scanner-at-entrance, scan-and-bag-as-you-go, pay-at-kiosk-and-leave system that's in place at the Kroger I most often visit. Distributing the awkward bagging time during the awkward shopping time is less annoying than doing it all at once at the end.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

maltesh posted:

In the case of the stores I go to, the baggers and cashiers are better and faster at scanning and bagging my stuff than I am, so I'll usually go through a line, because the self-check-out kiosks are generally filled with people who haven't had to develop that skill. I generally haven't had an issue with them.

That said,I will use the pick-up-a-scanner-at-entrance, scan-and-bag-as-you-go, pay-at-kiosk-and-leave system that's in place at the Kroger I most often visit. Distributing the awkward bagging time during the awkward shopping time is less annoying than doing it all at once at the end.

Sam's club has a system like that but we use my fiancees mom's membership and she claims to not remember the login for the app. YOU BITCH JUST RESET IT AND SAVE ME TIME

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

ReidRansom posted:

My favorite is when they cram your insulated bags full of dry goods and then throw all your frozen or refrigerated poo poo in the normal bags. Like, come on. Use a bit of goddamn sense.

Or they ask me if I want the 2 liter bottles in a bag.

No, I brought bags with me because they never get to go out on their own.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

2 liters are typically cheaper than 20 ounce bottles. They might just be asking if you want it left out so you can start guzzlin'

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

2 liters are typically cheaper than 20 ounce bottles. They might just be asking if you want it left out so you can start guzzlin'

#goontruths

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I worked part time in retail for about six years when I was in school. In that time I think I bagged groceries about three or four times and all those times it was for people who asked because they physically couldn't.

I get the feeling most people here would be vaguely insulted by someone else bagging their stuff if it wasn't a complete necessity.

Same with greeters. .

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What do Americans do while the checkout girl scans their items and a teenager haphazardly bags them? Pray? Snack? Recite the pledge of allegiance?

I don't even let the Christmas charity workers pack my stuff for me. I'd feel like a lazy piece of poo poo watching someone else work while I stand about (plus they'd just do it wrong).

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
^^^ there's no way I can pack as fast as they scan, so when I'm finally done packing, the cashier has been standing there, waiting for me to pay.

I enjoy getting my stuff bagged because it's almost always done competently and leaves me free to focus on paying, letting all of us get out of there faster.

Also, I will never use self checkout because the store is already severely understaffed and I want to support people being employed.

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 03:48 on Jan 10, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of TV episodes that didn't age well, the episode of Mary Tyler Moore where Mary calls her white boss the n-word is awkward to watch now.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
But you can't pay until everything's been scanned. There's a big window of time to be bagging your fruits and vegetables.

It's not like the employees get to go home faster. Only you. This whole drat system reeks of inequality.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Having someone at the petrol station to "pump" your "gas" for you is a weird, very-American thing as well (or used to be?)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

sassassin posted:

But you can't pay until everything's been scanned. There's a big window of time to be bagging your fruits and vegetables.

It's not like the employees get to go home faster. Only you. This whole drat system reeks of inequality.

Well first I need to put in my phone number so I get the club card "savings", and then I can start the payment process by putting my card in the slot, and by that time all my stuff is bagged anyway.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sassassin posted:

Having someone at the petrol station to "pump" your "gas" for you is a weird, very-American thing as well (or used to be?)

Its New Jersey and Oregon, where you are not legally allowed to pump your own gas.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That episode of Green Acres with the lynching also draws a lot of controversy, what a ripe subject for discussion.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

Its illegal to pump your own gas in Mexico City so it's not just Oregon and New Jersey.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

FactsAreUseless posted:

That episode of Green Acres with the lynching also draws a lot of controversy, what a ripe subject for discussion.

Agreed. Also, I always thought the series finale of Mr. Ed where Wilbur sends Ed off to the glue factory was unnecessary and in poor taste.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Agreed. Also, I always thought the series finale of Mr. Ed where Wilbur sends Ed off to the glue factory was unnecessary and in poor taste.
This was a contract dispute with the network.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Don Gato posted:

Its illegal to pump your own gas in Mexico City so it's not just Oregon and New Jersey.

Ah yes, the world famous American metropolis Mexico City.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Remember the episode of Bewitched where they visit Mexico City and Darren gets arrested but the cops are too sleepy to send him to jail? There's some racist poo poo in these old shows.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

FactsAreUseless posted:

Remember the episode of Bewitched where they visit Mexico City and Darren gets arrested but the cops are too sleepy to send him to jail? There's some racist poo poo in these old shows.

They actually did send him to jail, that's why they had to get a replacement Darren.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

sassassin posted:

You usually can. Most POS's can do all the card scanny bits up front, and then you just approve the total once they finish scanning.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

You usually can. Most POS's can do all the card scanny bits up front, and then you just approve the total once they finish scanning.
I swear to god bro

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That one episode of Heil Honey, I'm Home that is an episode of Heil Honey, I'm Home was in pretty bad taste and has probably not aged well.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

that one episode of Three's Company where Larry has to hide out in Jack's bedroom from the Yakuza has some pretty problematic elements these days, too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The phone thing is funny in shows like Riverdale and Sabrina, and the new Ducktales a bit, that try to go for a 'timeless' setting but have to deal with their target audience taking smartphones completely for granted.

You often see phones used as a shorthand for characterisation to some extent. The Spellmans have a lot of old stuff and still use a landline, but of course they're witches with lifespans measured in centuries, and take their time adapting to modern technology. (not to mention I imagine they value their privacy) Though Ambrose has what looks like an only somewhat outdated laptop. (which makes sense, as he's under house-arrest and would go even more stir-crazy than he normally would without the internet) While the only time we see a smartphone is when Harvey uses one.

While on the other hand, Scrooge has a gold-plated flip phone and has trouble keeping up with annoying Silicon Valley noveau riche Mark Beaks' tech talk. Of course, a good flip phone is still perfectly reliable for its original usage and often has battery life measured in days rather than hours of active use compared to most smartphones, so it makes sense for someone like Scrooge who isn't necessarily put off by new technology (he's famously quite open-minded about it, but wants to make sure it's reliable and practical before putting it into use/production) but doesn't get rid of anything as long as it's still useful. (that gold plated flip phone was probably top of the line when he got it) Meanwhile the kids all use smart phones like you'd expect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alaois posted:

that one episode of Three's Company where Larry has to hide out in Jack's bedroom from the Yakuza has some pretty problematic elements these days, too

I can never not hear Yakuza now and not think of the Yakuza games. Those would fit terrifyingly well in any American sitcom crossover.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
That episode of All In The Family where Edith spends 22 minutes beating Archie with an old desk lamp aged real poorly because he got his face all cut up when that incandescent bulb exploded. Wouldn't have happened with an led one.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
There's an episode of the original Hawaii 5-0 where the villain is supposed to be a Japanese secret agent who was acting as a fifth column before the Pearl Harbor attack but he ended up in a coma and when he wakes up he assumes it's time for him to start his attack (which is all kinds of problematic on its own) but instead of using a Japanese or even Asian actor, it was some white guy with putty on his eyes. Made even more annoying to me because you can clearly see multiple Japanese characters played by Japanese actors all across the series, it's not like they weren't already on set.

plainswalker75 posted:

He didn't specify which America :colbert:.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Maybe no Japanese actor wanted the part.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

plainswalker75 posted:

What continent do you think Mexico is in?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Beachcomber posted:

^^^ there's no way I can pack as fast as they scan,

I can pack faster and more accurately than any convenience store motherfucker on earth and have my debit card ready to pay at the same time. Plus if you pack your own stuff, you can make sure toothpaste doesn’t end up in the fridge bag.

Sparky2
Jan 3, 2019

A loose cannon with a tight shot group.
The 'technology' depicted in the 1970's television show The Six Million Dollar Man doesn't age well, when you think about it.

In that vein, just about every single 1970's action show (Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Wonder Woman, etc) was filmed on the same sound stage and/or southern California street, warehouse area, or stretch of hillside property.

And, in the car chase scenes or motorcycle racing scene where there was a sport turn or 180, you could see the scuff marks where the stunt men had practiced it a few times before the take that made it to the final series.

Funny, low-budget, formulamatic stuff.

:)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not to mention that $6 million is now the average cost of a US medical bill.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sassassin posted:

What do Americans do while the checkout girl scans their items and a teenager haphazardly bags them? Pray? Snack? Recite the pledge of allegiance?

Stare at the cashier slackjawed until the scanning is complete, then haphazardly spend 5 minutes fishing for their method of payment as if they've never seen this happen before in their life, and had no idea they'd have to pay for it at the end of the transaction.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Read the tabloids, stare at the gum rack. Reply 'uh-huh' when asked if we found everything we needed. Normal stuff.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sparky2 posted:

In that vein, just about every single 1970's action show (Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Wonder Woman, etc) was filmed on the same sound stage and/or southern California street, warehouse area, or stretch of hillside property.

I feel like this is gonna be something that dates the modern crop of action shows, too. Although it's Vancouver instead of California, you see a lot of the same buildings turn up again and again.

I've been watching the Arrowverse shows, and while you can occasionally see that Star City and Central City have some conspicuously similar-looking architecture at times, the best part is when you can see them re-use major sets. Bits of the Queen house from Arrow turn up just enough to be noticeable when you're watching them in a more compressed timeframe. Then there's how Supergirl hit season 2 and conspicuously stopped going to the California-looking desert outside National City every goddamn episode.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I feel like this is gonna be something that dates the modern crop of action shows, too. Although it's Vancouver instead of California, you see a lot of the same buildings turn up again and again.

I've been watching the Arrowverse shows, and while you can occasionally see that Star City and Central City have some conspicuously similar-looking architecture at times, the best part is when you can see them re-use major sets. Bits of the Queen house from Arrow turn up just enough to be noticeable when you're watching them in a more compressed timeframe. Then there's how Supergirl hit season 2 and conspicuously stopped going to the California-looking desert outside National City every goddamn episode.

That’s like how all those 90s syndicated action shows all used that one Vancouver water treatment plant any time they needed an exterior shot of anything that was supposed to be high-tech or in the future. I remember it was in The Pretender and Mutant X all the time, and probably the 90s Outer Limits too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

pentyne posted:

Its New Jersey and Oregon, where you are not legally allowed to pump your own gas.

As of 1/1/18 you can legally pump your own gas in Oregon but only at standalone stations in counties with populations under 40,000. Reading the comments sections on news articles about it and all the memes was a good source of LOLs last year.