Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ugh looking through my drawing files just made me depressed about the stuff that I started drawing and was gonna be so cool :razz: but I just stopped working on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

a hole-y ghost posted:

ugh looking through my drawing files just made me depressed about the stuff that I started drawing and was gonna be so cool :razz: but I just stopped working on

i have so much bullshit i've posted as a work in progress that i've immediately and shamefully given up on

https://twitter.com/altheposter/status/1065674465336389632

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Al! posted:

i have so much bullshit i've posted as a work in progress that i've immediately and shamefully given up on

https://twitter.com/altheposter/status/1065674465336389632
background is really cool on this one, nice

since you posted one I guess I'll share one too.
This is from "barfo 2 may.psd," which never made it through the lineart stage. I think I didn't like the way the figures were coming out and just gave up on it (especially the guy on the left outside of the door, I could NOT get him looking right for the life of me).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The people are good, it's the building itself that is throwing everything off, particularly around the guy on the left where the two parts of the building seem to be two differently proportioned entities that are phasing into each other; you could probably leave the leftmost guy as he is and just redraw the leftmost building.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 3, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i loving love the fact that theres a whole layer of activity below the focus of the drawing

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The people are good, it's the building itself that is throwing everything off, particularly around the guy on the left where the two parts of the building seem to be two differently proportioned entities that are phasing into each other; you could probably leave the leftmost guy as he is and just redraw the leftmost building.
ah yeah that was what was going on actually. in that wip I was just realizing I had to redraw the left building when I stopped. good drawing forensics :D

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Whatup CC! Been lurking for a bit but still not totally sure: would this thread be the appropriate place to ask a stupid newbie question about drawing/creating an effect?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Probably, but there is also a "questions that don't deserve their own thread" thread.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

friendly 2 da void posted:

Whatup CC! Been lurking for a bit but still not totally sure: would this thread be the appropriate place to ask a stupid newbie question about drawing/creating an effect?
what is the effect? we love effects here

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Here's how: Fill a bowl with water and glitter and film it out of focus while you swirl it around. take the footage you shot of your friend and create a mask of them, double pack the mask and the footage of the glitter and shoot it again with the optical printer, rephotograph the original and then run the masked glitter footage on the same piece of film at a lower exposure. This one may need three passes but keep it on one strip and do some tests.

Now, congratulations! You have created the effect that your friend is "transporting" from the scene!

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

avshalemon posted:

Speak for yourself, my parents were killed by a rogue effect.

Also yeah, ask away either here or the questions thread.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

gmc9987 posted:

Speak for yourself, my parents were killed by a rogue effect.

Also yeah, ask away either here or the questions thread.
aw geez, how did you handle having to deal with all their personal effects afterwards?

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

avshalemon posted:

I ended up asking a different extremely basic newbie question there but I will happily ask my original question here!

Like most amateur design wannabes I'm a huge fan of David Rudnick, and also like most amateur design wannabes, I want to steal something from him. Specifically I want to steal this "3d hanging poster effect" he always sticks on his poster mockups. Makes them look real neat imho:

You can see the effect at the top and bottom — looks like a simple contrasting arc of color to my unschooled eyes. At first I thought he just drew the effect by hand in Illustrator or w/e (he's very good at photorealistic drawing) and applied it to all his work with various tweaks, but then I spotted these posters for the artist "Umru" that feature what looks like the EXACT same effect:

I confirmed that Umru and not Rudnick designed those posters...which makes me think there's some trick/technique to creating this beyond "get good at drawing"? I would love to just know where to begin...

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

I would also love to know why so many talented graphic designers are so relentlessly self-hating of their profession on Twitter, but that might be outside the scope of this thread.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Photo some blank paper and then add it as a screen/lighten/whatever layer in PS? Or photo paper and add the design as a layer, whichever suits the colours better.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

I would also love to know why so many talented graphic designers are so relentlessly self-hating of their profession on Twitter, but that might be outside the scope of this thread.

Impostor Syndrome is a real thing, particularly (in my observation) in the creative arts, but mixed in there is a healthy dose of weird cultural bullshit that's developed over the past few decades that's gumming up the works further. It is, generally speaking anyway, a bit of a contest among artists to see who can bottom out with self-loathing faster than all the others and insist that they are the Worst Artist In All The Land. It is a strange tendency and I try to call people on it, especially insofar as I teach some graduate-level art classes and those people are STILL coming to class and looking at the art of their peer next to them and declaring literally out loud for all to hear: "gently caress YOU, YOU'RE SO loving GOOD YOU PIECE OF poo poo" and I'm just like ":confused: No wonder you're in grad school instead of employed jesus christ"

ruby saltbush
Jan 8, 2019

by R. Guyovich

mutata posted:

It is, generally speaking anyway, a bit of a contest among artists to see who can bottom out with self-loathing faster than all the others and insist that they are the Worst Artist In All The Land.
i always won these contests because i would not only disparage my art, i would get violently enraged and destroy it in front of everyone (sometimes moments before it was due to be presented for marking)

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I was going to say "I think that's just a young artist thing" but then thought of some older people I know and no, it's not, never mind

ruby saltbush
Jan 8, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i will always destroy my art. i will tear it up and take a poo poo on it. i will roll in the poo poo and fling it at the heavens. i will do this live on television until i'm forty-one years old and die defending my only daughter from english bullets in a grove of kurrajong trees, also live on television

ruby saltbush
Jan 8, 2019

by R. Guyovich
we should all make a pact to livestream our own terrible deaths

ruby saltbush
Jan 8, 2019

by R. Guyovich
not in a suicide sense, just if you're in a situation where you have that "i'm going to die" realisation you should feel artistically obligated to get out your phone and record the last few glorious seconds of your life

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

From what I've noticed about myself and artist friends:

A finished product almost never reflects the initial image or idea that started the project. So even if it looks great or is better than the original idea, it's still not that idea. That frustrates some people.

The other thing I notice is that, since the artist is spending so much time working on the project, it is difficult to detach themselves from it and see how it objectively looks. It's kinda like how a parent gets surprised how big their child has grown--you see them every day, so it's hard to track the growth and changes. If you're there for all the lines and strokes, and all the mistakes, it's hard to find wonder or be impressed by yourself. There's been some drawings or paintings I thought were sub-par, only to be impressed by it a year later when I find it with fresh eyes.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, every big piece I work on, by the end I can only see the flaws because I've been looking for them (to correct them) for so long. Takes a bit of time to zoom back out and realise 'hey, maybe that isn't entirely terrible'.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Not just artists! Writers do the same thing. I hate every word that comes out of my head as I'm doing it, then I come back to it six months later and go, "This wasn't half bad."

Then I come back to it again five years later and think, "Wow, I used WAY too many adjectives."

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
art destruction is in itself an art, you have to do it evocatively to fully activate the "artiste" mode.

ruby saltbush posted:

not in a suicide sense, just if you're in a situation where you have that "i'm going to die" realisation you should feel artistically obligated to get out your phone and record the last few glorious seconds of your life

opting for 8mm on this, so it feels real and illegal

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'm in an agreement where, should I be the first to die, my body will be puppeteered nude at my funeral, telling jokes like "Heigh Everybody! Why the long faces?" and that sort of thing. They'll scoop out my eyes and put in the cookie monster's

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
the reason why creatives hate being creative is because it sucks hth

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Franchescanado posted:

From what I've noticed about myself and artist friends:

A finished product almost never reflects the initial image or idea that started the project. So even if it looks great or is better than the original idea, it's still not that idea. That frustrates some people.

The other thing I notice is that, since the artist is spending so much time working on the project, it is difficult to detach themselves from it and see how it objectively looks. It's kinda like how a parent gets surprised how big their child has grown--you see them every day, so it's hard to track the growth and changes. If you're there for all the lines and strokes, and all the mistakes, it's hard to find wonder or be impressed by yourself. There's been some drawings or paintings I thought were sub-par, only to be impressed by it a year later when I find it with fresh eyes.

plz take your rational and thoughtful examination to some place that it belongs, like GBS

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Piss off an artist, agree with their whingy assessment of their own work.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

hahahaha yesssss

ruby saltbush
Jan 8, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Sharpest Crayon posted:

oh boy

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sharpest Crayon posted:

:hmmyes:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

You can do this with me live in 45 minutes when I participate in the new artistic terror of the modern age which is LIVESTREAMING your art. (3D environment art.)

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
hi, I use clip studio paint yet i feel as if there's barely any decent english tutorials for digital painting. Doesn't help that photoshop is getting better and better at this rate. ....

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
why is painting cities so hard why can't everything just be a naked human

in other news, this idea blew my mind so now i'm looking for some tulle

https://twitter.com/MadameBerry/status/1081952334433959936

Fruity20 posted:

hi, I use clip studio paint yet i feel as if there's barely any decent english tutorials for digital painting. Doesn't help that photoshop is getting better and better at this rate. ....

There's plenty of tutorials, and if not, plenty of process videos, on Youtube, Deviantart, and Tumblr. Don't worry about fancy brushes, just paint. This is a broad generalization but if you're trying to do the kind of art where the lines are visible, just put the color layer under the line art layer, or if you don't want visible lines, just paint like you normally would and you'll get used to the mechanics of the brushes.

Obviously that's oversimplifying a lot but working with layers is probably the most common thing people learn to do first with digital art, and you can probably get better advice once you've done some work and posted it.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
I maybe have.....gotten way too many brushes. i might do some pipe cleaning to better focus on the defaults eventually. thought i will keep a few customs brushes cuz i jsut like them.

ruby saltbush
Jan 8, 2019

by R. Guyovich
that tulle idea is fantastic!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

aaaand avshalom is permabanned again. pour one out

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

a hole-y ghost posted:

aaaand avshalom is permabanned again. pour one out
i'm not, i think they're just cottoning onto my strategy of transforming into an unbannable hydra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

avshalemon posted:

i'm not, i think they're just cottoning onto my strategy of transforming into an unbannable hydra
aw you gotta keep it low key now they'll know that avshalemon == avshalom