Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So my partner really wants me to get citizenship this year or at least get the application out. Believe me that it's always been my plan, but I'll admit I'm very slow with paperwork, it's a bit of a phobia, and I tend to push it aside.

Her urgency comes from the fact that she's certain Le Pen will win the next election and then my status as a resident (on a vie privée/familiale titre de séjour) would be placed in jeopardy.

I have no worries about getting citizenship, as of now I'm sure I'm a pretty decent candidate, but is she justified in her worries? We got into a long talk over breakfast over Le Pen and the rise of right-wing populists in the States, as seen in Brexit, and in Brazil and how she's sure France will be next due to the proliferation of fake news and the general ignorance of the common voter. I think it's certainly possible Le Pen gets elected, but how much damage could she actually do? As bad as Trump is I don't think he's completely eroded the American democratic system and worst comes to worst after 8 years there can be efforts made to repair the damage done. I also don't think there's anyone quite like him in the American political landscape, so it's unlikely that there'll be a successor.

Could Le Pen effectively take down the Fifth Republic, make a new (autocratic) government, remove France from Europe etc etc? All in just five years? I do believe it'd be bad and certainly lovely for foreigners and immigrants like myself, but I'd like to think that the foundations of democracy in France would be strong enough to withstand such a presidency. Or am I just being naive?

Also I want to trademark the phrase "Frortie" because no one should talk about a Frexit. You'd think nationlistic French would rather use a French portmanteau instead of an English one.

Cat Mattress posted:

It seems doubtful to me.

I'm sure that by 2022, the consequences of Brexit will be enough to make proponents of exit think again. Keep in mind that even in the UK, Brexit only won through a very low margin (51.4% IIRC) and France doesn't have the same tradition of eurohating as the UK does. If a President Le Pen announced a willingness to invoke Article 50, there would be riots (you may not have noticed, but the French love to riot) and if she organizes a referendum first, she'd lose it. That's my sincere guess.

As for autocracy, honestly I'd think the Fifth Republic already gives plenty of power to the President. What I'd be more worried about would be reducing further the independence of justice, following Poland, Hungary, Romania... Because these populist parties are always massively corrupt and the first step of a President Le Pen would be to cover her rear end for the pilfering she'd organize. She wouldn't need more power, but she would need more immunity.

I'm of the opposite opinion, but to be fair I'm a raging cynic who always plans for the worst-case scenario. I have a mate from university, also British, who now lives in Montréal with his wife. While his wife was born in Canada, her mother is from Avignon and his wife has dual citizenship in France and Canada. They only live in France part of the year, so he cannot claim citizenship due to continual residence in France, but his wife is registered as a French citizen living abroad which allows him to apply for citizenship after four years of marriage. As he, like me, is about to lose his European citizenship due in large part to racist fuckwits, he is counting the moments until he can become a French citizen. His French is C2 level from living in a major Francophone city so that's not a worry, but their 4th anniversary will be in August 2020 and he is doing everything to expedite his citizenship, including hiring a French attorney.

What Cat Mattress said is very sensible, but I remain of the opinion that one should prepare for the worst. In your shoes, I would do everything possible to take French citizenship as quickly as can be as an insurance policy. I doubt that even that horrible fascist Le Pen could revoke anyone's citizenship for anything less than high treason. Unlike, say, Japan where you cannot be a citizen without renouncing any and all other citizenships, there should be no issue with you holding dual French and American (I assume?) citizenship, and I see no reason not to have both. I realise that paperwork is tedious, but this is serious. I'm not saying that Le Pen, awful as she is, will definitely do what you say, but given her hatred of all immigrants I don't see why you shouldn't take the safe route as I see no downsides to it.

This is unrelated, but it is a sad loving commentary on human nature that, in hard times, people turn to fascism rather than unity in common cause or at least politicians who may actually want to help them. Immigration is not all roses and has good and bad aspects, but I will never understand why people turn on the disempowered rather than the corporations that do whatever they want, exploit people, show no social responsibility and destroy the ecology of their planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The spirit of the Killdozer lives on:

quote:

Le porte-parole du gouvernement Benjamin Griveaux a été évacué de ses bureaux, samedi 5 janvier, après l’intrusion de protestataires violents en marge de « l’acte VIII » de la mobilisation des « gilets jaunes » dans la capitale. Ces individus ont réussi à rentrer dans la cour du bâtiment après en avoir défoncé la grille à l’aide d’un engin de chantier, a affirmé l’intéressé sur BFMTV, confirmant une information du Parisien.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe telling people to come and get him wasn't Macron's brightest moment.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Macron is utterly unable to communicate with people who earn less than one million per day. He didn't understand anything of what happened, he just went through the magical song and dance that his communicants told him to do to appease the crowd, and it seemed to kinda work a bit so he fell back to his natural routine and now dissent is growing again.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

What Cat Mattress said is very sensible, but I remain of the opinion that one should prepare for the worst. In your shoes, I would do everything possible to take French citizenship as quickly as can be as an insurance policy.

Absolutely. I haven't been putting it off nonchalantly. It's the sort of thing that days just get swept up with work and other obligations and a few months later I realize I still haven't applied for citizenship. I've been here since 2011. I finished my Master's from Paris III in 2014. PACs'ed with a French woman since 2015 (I think?). I've been working as a professeur titularisé dans l'enseignement privé for one year already with one year professeur stagiare behind me and two years of 3 part time jobs. I've contributed taxes and I haven't left France except for small month long trips. I just have to get the paperwork in.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

unpacked robinhood posted:

Maybe telling people to come and get him wasn't Macron's brightest moment.

What did I miss.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MiddleOne posted:

What did I miss.

Not directly gilets jaunes related but he did use the phrasing when addressing negative reactions during the early days of the benalla debacle, iirc

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Someone got it on video:

https://twitter.com/Brevesdepresse/status/1081666709256396801?s=19

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Absolutely. I haven't been putting it off nonchalantly. It's the sort of thing that days just get swept up with work and other obligations and a few months later I realize I still haven't applied for citizenship. I've been here since 2011. I finished my Master's from Paris III in 2014. PACs'ed with a French woman since 2015 (I think?). I've been working as a professeur titularisé dans l'enseignement privé for one year already with one year professeur stagiare behind me and two years of 3 part time jobs. I've contributed taxes and I haven't left France except for small month long trips. I just have to get the paperwork in.

If you don't mind me asking, is there any reason that you haven't married? The reason I ask is not to "put you on the spot", but I assume that it would grant you full immunity from losing residency rights and give you a path to citizenship. As in the US, I'm sure that immigration would want to verify that it's not a "green card marriage", but you two are obviously a legit couple so no need to worry. I believe that, for full-time residents of France who are married to French citizens, you are allowed to take French citizenship after three years providing that you have a high level of language skills, which you obviously do. Barring that, all I can do is try to encourage you to put pen to paper and request citizenship. I don't see why you would be denied, and you have nothing to lose with much to gain.

On another note, my aforementioned friend was told that contributing to French culture in certain ways can help with a citizenship dossier, if that might interest you. When he and his wife summer in France he teaches English to French people and French to immigrants, which he was told would look very good on an application. He also referees for semi-pro football games, but he told me that that is rather perilous. Not only does he get called some horrible names, one guy took a swing at him. Not surprisingly, he received a permanent carton rouge.

By the way, I also worked in collegiate education here in the US for eight years. I now cannot find work anywhere and am drowning in debt, but I'm glad that you can at least find steady work where you are.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The PACS ("civil solidarity pact") is a type of civil union that brings most of the legal benefits of marriage. It doesn't bring the same automatic citizenship, but it does increase the chances of naturalization being granted; and it at least is a sufficient motive for obtaining and renewing residency permits.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Cat Mattress posted:

The PACS ("civil solidarity pact") is a type of civil union that brings most of the legal benefits of marriage. It doesn't bring the same automatic citizenship, but it does increase the chances of naturalization being granted; and it at least is a sufficient motive for obtaining and renewing residency permits.

I am fully aware of what it is. I simply thought that "full" marriage would aid his case for citizenship even more.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

If you don't mind me asking, is there any reason that you haven't married? The reason I ask is not to "put you on the spot", but I assume that it would grant you full immunity from losing residency rights and give you a path to citizenship.

JustJeff88 posted:

I am fully aware of what it is. I simply thought that "full" marriage would aid his case for citizenship even more.

You're right it would. I know a Brazilian that got married and got citizenship pretty quickly. We made a conscious choice to not get married for several reasons.

My partner and I will have been together ten years in September. We got PACS'ed after five of those. I know some people get married after a year or two of knowing each other, but I suppose we've always been overly cautious. We both felt that marriage was a big serious step to take, and I'm a bit a traditionalist in the sense I really don't like the idea of divorce (I know people don't get married to only just divorce, but my parents have always been together and I don't see why you would get married if you felt divorce was a risk. In my mind marriage is for keeps and at 24 keeps felt like a really long time, regardless of how happy I was with the relationship). It felt frivolous to get married for papers.

On the other hand the comfort of the PACS is that getting out of it is pretty easy. We also liked that it had no bearing in the US, and in that regard it was easier to get. The US would be curious about us getting married and would eventually want paperwork, if she would want to become American, but they don't care or ask about the PACS, because as far as the US is concerned it means squat. I could more comfortably get it "for the papers".

We've continued to grow together since then and we're very happy with our decision and see no need to get married except if we wanted to move to the States, but as both of us dread raising kids there then it won't happen.

I think I can argue the case I aid France culturally. I work in a high school with French kids every day and my classes while in English are ostensibly cultural classes on the Anglophone world. Sure it's not French culture, but I'm definitely helping their society. I'm nowhere near good enough to coach soccer, or other sports, but it's also not in my nature. I'm joining the teacher's union, but that may not be looked upon favorably.

JustJeff88 posted:

By the way, I also worked in collegiate education here in the US for eight years. I now cannot find work anywhere and am drowning in debt, but I'm glad that you can at least find steady work where you are.

That was my initial plan, but I really didn't care for my master's here in France and it made me feel like higher education wouldn't benefit from good teachers as much as high schoolers would, so I took the concours and somehow managed to pass it. The rest is history. None of it would've been possible without that PACS and my titre de séjour so I owe my partner that much, because there's no way I would've gotten a work visa that simply.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

You've clearly thought about the pros and the cons; I salute you for that. I would still advise pushing through a citizenship application as I think that you have a strong dossier and it would be (relatively) easy, but it's your decision. I do think that putting it off due to distaste for paperwork is missing the forest for the trees but, again, your decision. The only other thing that I can think of is that you would probably have to take the Test de conaissance du français, but I imagine that that would be a piece of piss for you as French has probably become as much your primary language as English, if not moreso.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's top priority for sure. The test should go ok though I'm still pretty bad at writing in the language. It's comprehensible I just make a lot of small mistakes with gender and the accords.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
Can sum1 pls explain whether these protests have an obvious right wing skew yet? ive heard rumors of eastern european and russian neo-nazi types mixing in, which reminds me of the Euro 2016 riots. also Ive seen a lot of committed american fascists celebrating them on twitter? sorry im a very stupid american who doesnt read french so its hard to follow

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

cargo cult posted:

Can sum1 pls explain whether these protests have an obvious right wing skew yet? ive heard rumors of eastern european and russian neo-nazi types mixing in, which reminds me of the Euro 2016 riots.

There are some far-right types in the lot, but it's not clear how prevalent they are. It's a very loose movement with different groups having different ideas. They just all want Macron to resign. For what it's worth, one guy with far-right ties tried to set himself up as a spokesman for one group but he was denounced almost immediately.

That thing about Russian neo-nazis is nonsense for sure. The movement is entirely homegrown as far as anyone can tell. The government and the media would be talking about it non-stop if there was even a hint of Russian involvement. Where did you hear that, out of curiosity?

cargo cult posted:

also Ive seen a lot of committed american fascists celebrating them on twitter?

That's not surprising, but it doesn't necessarily mean much. They're the same people who make poo poo up constantly about no-go zones and whatever else.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

There are some far-right types in the lot, but it's not clear how prevalent they are. It's a very loose movement with different groups having different ideas. They just all want Macron to resign. For what it's worth, one guy with far-right ties tried to set himself up as a spokesman for one group but he was denounced almost immediately.
The thing is a ton of the yellow vests now protesting are the kind of people who never ever protested and tended to be on the side of their boss/the government/the cops against organized labor/any kind of social movement(let's be honest, they loving hate leftist) but since Macron is now doing to them what they enjoyed seeing being done to other, they are pretty pissed. I won't complain that the kind of assholes who normally would form "citizen" militia to bust some strike and hurt some "islamo-gauchist" protests are now facing the cops too but it feels super super weird and tons of people are really careful about it.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Toplowtech posted:

The thing is a ton of the yellow vests now protesting are the kind of people who never ever protested and tended to be on the side of their boss/the government/the cops against organized labor/any kind of social movement(let's be honest, they loving hate leftist) but since Macron is now doing to them what they enjoyed seeing being done to other, they are pretty pissed. I won't complain that the kind of assholes who normally would form "citizen" militia to bust some strike and hurt some "islamo-gauchist" protests are now facing the cops too but it feels super super weird and tons of people are really careful about it.

Yeah but those are genuine and legitimate concerns coming from people who aren't outspoken racists who constantly make poo poo up. I still wouldn't trust what US fascists say about it. At best it's going to massively distorted interpretation of what's happening.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

Yeah but those are genuine and legitimate concerns coming from people who aren't outspoken racists who constantly make poo poo up. I still wouldn't trust what US fascists say about it. At best it's going to massively distorted interpretation of what's happening.
Yes, isn't it funny how the minute other people concerns become their concern too they loving "flip their vests". And yes, I don't think we should take the opinion of the US people into account. It's not about them.
edit: this thread need more music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_ADZYCUkDA

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 6, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Toplowtech posted:

"flip their vests".

*turn their coats

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/briceculturier/status/1081945440172560385

:cripes:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Someone catch Philippe's repression chest-beating ?
I'm curious about this bit

philippe posted:

"Le gouvernement est favorable à ce que notre loi soit modifiée et à sanctionner ceux qui ne respectent pas cette obligation de déclaration [de la manifestation]"

Relevant guy who gets it reacts:
https://twitter.com/laurentwauquiez...ce-securite.php

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
we get it, you love that authoritarian bullshit

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

unpacked robinhood posted:

Someone catch Philippe's repression chest-beating ?
I'm curious about this bit

Relevant guy who gets it reacts:
https://twitter.com/laurentwauquiez...ce-securite.php
You only know you are a big loving failure when Wauquiez is right and you were totally wrong.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Ending the state of emergency was the single good thing Macron did. Restoring it for a few riots and some blocked roundabout would be completely stupid. While not declare martial law while you're at it?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Ending the state of emergency was the single good thing Macron did. Restoring it for a few riots and some blocked roundabout would be completely stupid. While not declare martial law while you're at it?
If you ask me, from the look of it, Phillipe's speech was more of an attempt to calm the panic among his party after the "Forklift through the door" event, using the traditional "one news, one law" sarkozian tactic. But hey, what do i know?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK2jFO_DaRQ

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Our new anthem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTxJG-wvMWY

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Didn't Macron just normalize the state of emergency by making the extended police powers permanent?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Schiappa doing some of that bad fakenewsism against the crowdfunded legal defense for Christophe "Cop Puncher Extraordinaire" Dettinger.
https://twitter.com/MarleneSchiappa/status/1083278000362319873

Some LR fuckwit launched a counter pro-police campaign, turned out pretty well:
https://twitter.com/L_oeilDuCyclone/status/1083299626713841664

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

communism cannot and will not work

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

avshalemon posted:

communism cannot and will not work

And yet it must, because our only choice is it or barbarism.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/MarianneleMag/status/1083796318852661249
It's on purpose right ?

e:

castaner posted:

«Gilets jaunes»: «ceux qui viennent manifester savent qu'ils seront complices» si il y a des violences (Castaner)

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 11, 2019

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
the text of Macron's letter is out, and wow I don't think it's gonna help at all. It's "which taxes can we cut?", "should we cut spending more?", "what little should we do to not destroy ourselves in a great ecological disaster?" and "hey, don't you hate immigrants? how about the muslims, huh? what's your take". Great job done by all, see you next saturday!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
With an extra dash of exceptionalism at the beginning for that extra :rolleyes: factor

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
No, the exceptionalism bit is great, the text just wouldn't work without it:

"France is the country the most attached to equality, fraternity, and solidarity in the world. That's why we have these taxes that serve to fund public services so that everyone can benefit fairly. And that's a source of pride for our great nation. Okay now real talk, let's cut taxes and abolish public services."

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Maybe hes got a fetish for people hating him

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Cat Mattress posted:

No, the exceptionalism bit is great, the text just wouldn't work without it:

"France is the country the most attached to equality, fraternity, and solidarity in the world. That's why we have these taxes that serve to fund public services so that everyone can benefit fairly. And that's a source of pride for our great nation. Okay now real talk, let's cut taxes and abolish public services."

It's that it's a blatant lie that makes it grating. He's really trying hard to be like an American president with all this grand-sounding bullshit.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

He is a bad president. Very bad. His policies and overall ideology are bad. gently caress you Emmanuel Macron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Kassad posted:

It's that it's a blatant lie that makes it grating. He's really trying hard to be like an American president with all this grand-sounding bullshit.

I do love that everywhere else whenever a politician gets a little too full of himself people just roll their eyes and go "get a load of this guy trying to sound American".