Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Almost Blue posted:

For anybody who has seen both, is Body Melt better or worse than Street Trash?

You'll probably get a bunch of different responses to this, but I fell asleep and didn't finish Street Trash while I really enjoyed Body Melt.

From what little I remember of Street Trash it's just "let's be disgusting and throw around a bunch of technicolor slime" and Body Melt has at least some kind of message or reason to exist. Street Trash felt kind of tonally like Repo Man while not being anywhere remotely close to as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I'd say Street Trash beats out Body Melt but just by a little because Body Melt has a few janky special effects. Street Trash though is just waaaaaaaaay more insane than Body Melt.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Almost Blue posted:

For anybody who has seen both, is Body Melt better or worse than Street Trash?

I prefer Street Trash because it's more outlandish, colorful and rude. The director is also a steadicam expert, so it's filmed very well, and makes the gritty dirty NYC setting pop.

Body Melt is very Australian. It's more pointed with it's satire, it's probably more extreme in the actual body-melting aspect, and it runs at a high energy without diving head first into bad taste like Street Trash, but it's not as memorable.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Can't forget The Incredible Melting Man also.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If offensive humour doesn't bother you, Street Trash is a way better film than Body Melt on just about every level, and if it does bother you, you probably should skip both.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The restoration of Street Trash just looks absolutely amazing, as a bonus.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Street Trash is one of those things where I'd never watch it again and I didn't exactly like it, but I am glad I've seen it at least once.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What was that newish Western Horror the was supposed to be good in 2018? Someone had mentioned seeing it at a festival and really liking it a few months ago. Did it get a wide release yet?

Edit: It's The Wind and it's releasing in April of this year.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 10, 2019

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Megasabin posted:

What was that newish Western Horror the was supposed to be good in 2018? Someone had mentioned seeing it at a festival and really liking it a few months ago. Did it get a wide release yet?

Uhhhh Buster Scruggs???

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The last segment was kinda meditatively spooky I guess, as was the Liam Neeson one.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drunkboxer posted:

The last segment was kinda meditatively spooky I guess, as was the Liam Neeson one.

Buster Scruggs himself was as intimidating as any slasher villain

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Pomp posted:

Buster Scruggs himself was as intimidating as any slasher villain

The Herald of Demise

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Cold Skin is on Shudder as of today. Looks fairly Lovecraftian plus Ray Winstone is in it so I'm sure it's at least decent.

Edit: It's actually Ray Stevenson not Winstone but that might actually be slightly better?

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 11, 2019

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It's not fully horror but the Netflix series based off Perfume is really really great at being eerie and really loving creepy. The dub isn't.....horrendous but I'd say stick with subs.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Are there any franchises besides The Purge where every sequel is better than the first movie?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stink Billyums posted:

Are there any franchises besides The Purge where every sequel is better than the first movie?

Friday the 13th.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Stink Billyums posted:

The new Planet of the Apes movies. Rise was good, but Dawn was better, and War was fantastic.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I wonder how it would be received if they had started with Anarchy and saved the smaller scale story of the first one for later in the series. As it stands, it definitely feels like a proof of concept more than anything else.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They wouldn't have gotten the budget to make Anarchy for the first one.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I Am Not A Serial Killer popped up on Hulu, so if you missed it when it was streaming on Netflix a couple of years ago, I'd recommend checking it out. Fun little flick.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Lurdiak posted:

They wouldn't have gotten the budget to make Anarchy for the first one.

I know, I just mean the way it is made people feel like they didn’t get the whole Purge experience, I wonder if people would like it more if it was more like an artistic choice to focus on a small purge story.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The Purge TV show is maybe my favorite part of the franchise, honestly. That penultimate episode is so loving good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

The new Planet of the Apes movies. Rise was good, but Dawn was better, and War was fantastic.

Yeah, I'd go with this.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Megasabin posted:

Edit: It's The Wind and it's releasing in April of this year.

It's so dang good. I got to chat with one of the set dressers after the screening and she said that they went wild finding artifacts from that time period to place around the sets, even for things that would be inside drawers and probably never show up on film. I got the sense that the whole thing was a real labour of love, and it shows.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's so dang good. I got to chat with one of the set dressers after the screening and she said that they went wild finding artifacts from that time period to place around the sets, even for things that would be inside drawers and probably never show up on film. I got the sense that the whole thing was a real labour of love, and it shows.

The Wind was already on my radar but this makes me even more excited to see it. I love historical horror and it brings me immense joy when the production team really gets into it with the period detail.

It’s one of many reasons why The Witch is my favorite movie ever tbh. I’m hoping for The Wind to join the ranks.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I just finished up Cold Skin on Shudder and I have to say I really really enjoyed it. It's a interesting film. Not exactly what I was expecting but overall thought it was a great Lovecraftian film.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I just finished up Cold Skin on Shudder and I have to say I really really enjoyed it. It's a interesting film. Not exactly what I was expecting but overall thought it was a great Lovecraftian film.

I really loved this one too. I think it suffers a bit from being released so close to Shape of Water because the creature design is so similar but it's a great story. Nothing at all scary that I can recall, though, outside of what I think was a lesson about the horrors of colonialism.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Franchescanado posted:

100% this. I enjoy all of the Hammer Mummy films, even Blood From The Mummy's Tomb.

I saw Blood From the Mummy's Tomb on a black and white TV as a kid, and it stuck with me enough that every once in awhile, I'd try to figure out what it had been. I mostly remembered the princess in the coffin and those moments where the movie would just cut to showing the stars. I finally managed to track it down it a couple of years back and was surprised by how much I still liked it as an adult.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Fart City posted:

I Am Not A Serial Killer popped up on Hulu, so if you missed it when it was streaming on Netflix a couple of years ago, I'd recommend checking it out. Fun little flick.

My best friend from high school worked on this film in some sort of crew capacity, and they gave him a speaking role as the pawn shop clerk. He obviously ad libbed his lines and the scene makes me laugh my rear end off, and as a result I cant take the movie seriously. It's one of his bigger claims to fame. That, and the fact that if they air Deadpool 2 edited for tv, he voiced over a couple of the swears.

Edit: the scene in question is about 10 seconds long and not actually probably funny if you don't know him. I'm not saying you should all look it up or anything.

Gejimayu fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 11, 2019

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Stink Billyums posted:

Depends on your definition of franchise, I suppose, but you probably won't find many people arguing that A Fistful of Dollars is superior to its sequels.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

Depends on your definition of franchise, I suppose, but you probably won't find many people arguing that A Fistful of Dollars is superior to its sequels.

I've had periods of time where I would've made that argument. Probably says something about how amazing those films are that I've had moments where I think all three are the best of the trilogy, and then also Once Upon A Time in the West is worthy of the crown as well. Leone just couldn't miss during that run.

Fistful is the most streamlined of the three and moves from plot point to plot point much more quickly. So if I'm tired after work or something and feel like a classic Western I'm going to choose it over the more epic and meandering Leone films.

smilingpear
Aug 11, 2009

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
For anyone who enjoyed the WNUF Halloween Special, just a heads up that there's a GoFundMe for a sequel. It's in its last few weeks & less than halfway to the goal (but my understanding is the movie will be made either way!) so if you have a few bucks to throw at it, here's the link!

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I tuned into Shudder TV to catch the end of Maniac while laying down for a nap. After Maniac they started to play Tenebre, which I haven't seen before. It starts to roll and all of a sudden my ears immediately recognized the theme song, because Justice sampled it for their song Phantom on their Cross album in 2007. That has been one of my favorite all time albums since its release and I am just now realizing this because I hadn't seen Tenebre. This poo poo blew my mind, guys. I feel like my whole life is a lie. I seriously listen to this album at least once a week in the car and had no idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5TOPI1375w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoZ8l40RpeE

:aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress. I keep forgetting I have Shudder. I've only watched 3 things on it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

gently caress. I keep forgetting I have Shudder. I've only watched 3 things on it.

If you just watch Mandy, Halloween, Cold Hell, Let the Right One In, Hellraiser, Revenge, The Changeling, Better Watch Out, Murder Party, Trollhunter, The Void, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Cold Skin, The Evil Dead, I Saw the Devil, Black Christmas, Spring, Sleepaway Camp, The Host, Nosferatu, Audition, Re-animator, Nightbreed, Mimic, Day of the Dead, Zombie, VHS, A Girl Walks Home at Night, Hellraiser II, Maniac, Nosferatu The Vampyre, Prom Night, Basket Case, The Stuff, Magic, House of the Devil, Tenebrae, Creepshow 2, The Beyond, Tourist Trap, Q: The Winged Serpent, Christmas Evil, Wake in Fright, The Old Dark House, Black Sunday, Dead and Buried, Black Sabbath, Demons 2, The House by the Cemetery, Castle Freak, Lisa and the Devil, Ghostwatch, The Asphyx, Pieces, City of the Living Dead, Spider Baby, Dark Waters, and Deep Red, you'll be mostly caught up with the thread.

Shudder is a great great service for horror fans.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I know I just don’t like watching movies these days. I feel like I need to be doing something else. It’s weird and I’m weird. Only when I’m in a theater I tend to zone everything out. Other wise I’m super antsy.

I own Mandy though. Had too. It’s so rad.

Edit I like when I watch something in the discord.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Windows 98 posted:

I tuned into Shudder TV to catch the end of Maniac while laying down for a nap. After Maniac they started to play Tenebre, which I haven't seen before. It starts to roll and all of a sudden my ears immediately recognized the theme song, because Justice sampled it for their song Phantom on their Cross album in 2007. That has been one of my favorite all time albums since its release and I am just now realizing this because I hadn't seen Tenebre. This poo poo blew my mind, guys. I feel like my whole life is a lie. I seriously listen to this album at least once a week in the car and had no idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5TOPI1375w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoZ8l40RpeE

:aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa:

I keep hearing the garth marengi theme in this, which I guess makes sense actually

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CelticPredator posted:

I know I just don’t like watching movies these days. I feel like I need to be doing something else. It’s weird and I’m weird. Only when I’m in a theater I tend to zone everything out. Other wise I’m super antsy.

I own Mandy though. Had too. It’s so rad.

Edit I like when I watch something in the discord.

I hear you. If I want to watch a movie I have to like shut my computer and phone off, turn the lights off, move everything remotely distracting away from me, and drat near strap myself down. Its like a deliberate endeavor I have to plan out.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Windows 98 posted:

Justice stuff.

If you haven't seen it yet, track down the documentary on Justice that followed them around while touring. It is the best. I think it came with some version of something by them but i believe i found it via :warez: years ago so im not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/SecondSightFilm/status/1083839893745401858
My god are we getting a new DVD of Dawn of the Dead