Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
They're modern day superhero movies, they're going to be pretty alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I found Wonder Woman kinda underwhelming, hopefully Captain Marvel would be better. If nothing else, it doesn't look like it's gonna be a love story - that aspect in WW annoyed me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

If nothing else, it doesn't look like it's gonna be a love story - that aspect in WW annoyed me.

It could have been the story about a love of a man for a fine Cuban cigar, but I think Nick Fury doesn't smoke any more.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It's about the doomed love affair between Nick Fury and one of his eyes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The love story in WW was the best part

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well, you are nothing if not consistent in your wrong opinions

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Chris Pine was a treasure, him and WW falling for each other was extremely sweet and romantic.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The actual good parts of the film were the sniper guy with PTSD and the mad science lady.

EDIT: I mean in terms of "every girl needs to know she can be a hero", Wonder Woman is kinda bad at that because WW isn't even a human to begin with and most of the plot of the film is about falling in love with the first man she ever met and being taught by him to be more nice and less haughty. We'll have to see how well Captain Marvel does at that.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 10, 2019

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I have a new CHUD coworker who hasn't seen a super hero movie since suicide squad, but didn't like black panther because it was "too short" and "*long pregnant pause*" and "wakanda, where is that even supposed to be?"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Trevor taught Wonder Woman to be "more nice?" not sure what movie you were watching. Every time anyone asks her to make a change or not do something, she refuses and does it anyway and is proven to be correct. She teaches them to stop making excuses for inaction and dishonesty.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mr Hootington posted:

I have a new CHUD coworker who hasn't seen a super hero movie since suicide squad, but didn't like black panther because it was "too short" and "*long pregnant pause*" and "wakanda, where is that even supposed to be?"

My favorite is “It was a good movie, but people need to quit acting like it was important.”

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Trevor taught Wonder Woman to be "more nice?" not sure what movie you were watching. Every time anyone asks her to make a change or not do something, she refuses and does it anyway and is proven to be correct. She teaches them to stop making excuses for inaction and dishonesty.

??? The entire plot is about Diana being wrong about Ludendorff being Ares and thinking killing Ares would stop war. What 'inaction' is WW teaching people to stop making excuses for? Trying to make an armstice happen instead of storming across the trenchlines? When Steve uses 'dishonesty' to sneak into the party to locate the poison gas, while Diana figures stabbing Ludendorff openly with a sword in a middle of a crowd of people would immediately end the war, and even with the poison gas being loaded into the bombers abandons Steve to chase Ludendorff, it's Steve that's right and Diana who is a dumb dumb.

The ending dilemma is WW sparing Maru because she remembers Steve. So yeah, it comes down to the love of a man teaching a powerful woman to be nice and not haughty. That's her character arc.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 10, 2019

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Open Marriage Night posted:

My favorite is “It was a good movie, but people need to quit acting like it was important.”

My favourite is “secret CIA psyop!” personally.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not nearly enough bondage in WW. Her creator is spinning in his grave. Or would be, if he wasn’t buried in some S&M gear

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

https://screenrant.com/mcu-length-marvel-movies-total-runtime/

quote:

For the record, the runtimes are
Iron Man (2 hours, 6 minutes),
The Incredible Hulk (1 hour, 52 minutes),
Iron Man 2 (2 hours, 5 minutes), Thor (1 hour, 54 minutes),
Captain America: The First Avenger (2 hours, 4 minutes),
The Avengers (2 hours, 23 minutes),
Iron Man 3 (2 hours, 11 minutes),
Thor: The Dark World (1 hour, 52 minutes),
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2 hours, 16 minutes),
Guardians of the Galaxy (2 hours, 2 minutes),
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2 hours, 21 minutes),
Ant-Man (1 hour, 57 minutes),
Captain America: Civil War (2 hours, 27 minutes),
Doctor Strange (1 hour, 55 minutes),
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2 hours, 17 minutes),
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2 hours, 13 minutes),
Thor: Ragnarok (2 hours, 10 minutes), and
Black Panther (2 hours, 14 minutes).
The only films longer than it are The Avengers (9 minutes), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2 minutes), Age of Ultron (7 minutes), Captain America: Civil War (14 minutes), and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (3 minutes).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wow I can't believe Avengers is longer than Avengers 2

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

IUG posted:

https://screenrant.com/mcu-length-marvel-movies-total-runtime/

The only films longer than it are The Avengers (9 minutes), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2 minutes), Age of Ultron (7 minutes), Captain America: Civil War (14 minutes), and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (3 minutes).

My person, the length wasn't the problem.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mr Hootington posted:

Title of your sex tape.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
WW is great until the Ares reveal. The NML scene is gonna go down as an all time great super hero scene.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rhyno posted:

WW is great until the Ares reveal. The NML scene is gonna go down as an all time great super hero scene.

I will always remember WW for how hilariously bleak and ironic the ending is. Yay, Ares is dead! Everyone's laughing and hugging! The War to End All Wars is over!

...Oh wait, what's that coming twenty years later?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Title of your sex tape.

Another great one Jake

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh I know, I just wanted to post the proof that it was bullshit (and I was curious where it placed in terms of X longest MCU film).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

I actually like the reveal. The god of war taking on the visage of an imperialist Edwardian Brit? That’s fantastic. The problem is the boring CGI slapfight they have immediately after.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

I will always remember WW for how hilariously bleak and ironic the ending is. Yay, Ares is dead! Everyone's laughing and hugging! The War to End All Wars is over!

...Oh wait, what's that coming twenty years later?

Should have ended with Ares reincarnating as Ludendorff before fading into one of the many, many photographs of the real Ludendorff with the Austrian corporal whose political career he supported during the inter-war years. :v:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Love Story in Captain Marvel will be Goose and everyone. The cast can't stop petting him.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I actually like the reveal. The god of war taking on the visage of an imperialist Edwardian Brit? That’s fantastic. The problem is the boring CGI slapfight they have immediately after.

Enh, I think Ares was kinda the most boring character he could have been. Just a random side character they met earlier, for the twist of 'oh he was trying to make peace?? actually he was evil'. Basically every other twist would have been more interesting.

Imagine if Ares was Maru, then you could work off the more sympathetic characterisation we had earlier, and directly contrast Diana and Maru

Imagine if Ares was Steve Trevor, then you could have him being revealed to have manipulated WW from the start to destabilise the armistice and then played on the ambiguity of whether their romance had meaning

Imagine if Ares was an Amazon, and Diana has to confront the corruption of her order

Imagine if Ares died a thousand years ago and that was what Diana had to accept...

imagine if Ares was corporal adolf hitler

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

twistedmentat posted:

The Love Story in Captain Marvel will be Goose and everyone. The cast can't stop petting him.

I've read that the real main villain, in the story this appears to be an adaptation of, hated Marvel in part because they were romantic rivals for the affection of the same woman.

Nevermind that Marvel was a dude at that time, come on MCU. Do it.

(I know they're not going to)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Phylodox posted:

My favourite is “secret CIA psyop!” personally.

Don't be silly. There's nothing secret about Marvel cozying up to the CIA and the military industrial complex

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

McCloud posted:

Don't be silly. There's nothing secret about Marvel cozying up to the CIA and the military industrial complex

Yeah, that's the one, thanks.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Rhyno posted:

It will also be one of those scenes the suits wanted to cut from a film and were proven hilariously wrong, like when that guy wanted to cut "Part of Your World" from TLM.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Beachcomber posted:

It will also be one of those scenes the suits wanted to cut from a film and were proven hilariously wrong, like when that guy wanted to cut "Part of Your World" from TLM.

That's a bit of a game of telephone, it wasn't the suits at WB that wanted to cut it, it was her own production company and for logistical reasons, but she convinced them to figure it out

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Warner Bros is the one with the cosy relationship with the US Army. The MCU famously lost their relationship with the Pentagon for showing the army nuking New York during the Avengers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I know no-one cares but I finally saw Aquaman and man that movie is cheesy as gently caress. The dialog was hokey to terrible, the acting was subpar (might have been the fault of the dialog, who knows) and the storyline was pretty generic. That being said it was visually amazing with the Trench scene being my favourite. It had some great set pieces, it didn't take itself seriously at all and pretty much knew what it was, and it had a drum-playing octupus which is now my character of the year.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

Warner Bros is the one with the cosy relationship with the US Army. The MCU famously lost their relationship with the Pentagon for showing the army nuking New York during the Avengers.

Almost every big studio in Hollywood has some sort of connection with the Pentagon.

Of course, it's hardly a uniquely American phenomenon. Stanley Kubrick had some sort of arrangement with Franco's government to get 8,000 Spanish soldiers to play the Roman army in Spartacus.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 10, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

That's a bit of a game of telephone, it wasn't the suits at WB that wanted to cut it, it was her own production company and for logistical reasons, but she convinced them to figure it out

I bet they were wearing suits, though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

What blew me away for most of WW was the physicality. The fighting wasn't gory or explicit, but hits had *weight* to them that often feels lacking in other movies. In the NML scene where she's blocking machine gun fire, the shield is vibrating and she's straining to hold it steady and even though it's clearly superhuman it feels real. The strength feels like it's coming from her, while in comparison when Captain America uses his shield it's magic physics-defying stuff (not limited to his movies and I love em all, just an obvious comparison).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bruceski posted:

while in comparison when Captain America uses his shield it's magic physics-defying stuff (not limited to his movies and I love em all, just an obvious comparison).

Spidey straight up calls out Cap on it in Civil War.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, that's the one, thanks.

You're welcome.

Fangz posted:

I am specifically referring to this when I say MIC

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

McCloud posted:

You're welcome.

I am specifically referring to this when I say MIC

And Warner Bros. allowed the army to have multiple re-writes of the Man of Steel script. Shocking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Spidey straight up calls out Cap on it in Civil War.

Yeah it's like an ancient element of lore about the shield covered pretty extensively. It absorbs all vibration and kinetic energy, just like BP's suit.