Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it really says a lot about how much our society has evolved that even when i'm trying to insult stymie by calling them an incorporeal mass of foul vapors, i stop myself from using "it" out of respect to their gender identity (of which i have no knowledge)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

730 miles, average 18.something MPG, and total trip cost including gas food lodging was about $210 for 3 days 2 nights

drat dude, that's p. dece mileage on the expedition

my folks have a big expedition, think it's a few years newer than yours? anyway any time i borrow it for a day or two, the avg fuel consumption starts off sitting somewhere around 10mpg and by the time i'm done it's already up around 13.

i'm curious about your rig's radios. my only adult experience with CB is messing around with a little old unit from the 70s connected to a rooftop magnet antenna. do you have separate antennae for each radio, do they all use the same antenna?

also i dig the pics, especially the mountains. i love a good road trip.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'm curious about your rig's radios. my only adult experience with CB is messing around with a little old unit from the 70s connected to a rooftop magnet antenna. do you have separate antennae for each radio, do they all use the same antenna?

Nah i have dedicated antennas for all the radios, makes it a lot easier. the CB antenna on mine is that black whip on the driver's fender, just a lil 4 footer but it's well mounted and i'm smart enough to know how to tune these things so they work well and don't blow your radio up. i just have a $30 or so uniden pro 510 XL radio, it's basic but does the job just fine.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I guess big sur residents had a little protest about tourists wrecking the place and Joshua Tree has started closing campgrounds during the shutdown because of the huge mess

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

it really says a lot about how much our society has evolved that even when i'm trying to insult stymie by calling them an incorporeal mass of foul vapors, i stop myself from using "it" out of respect to their gender identity (of which i have no knowledge)

i'm pretty sure it's ok to call an amorphous cloud of stinking vapor "it"

(whether or not the cloud has an opinion)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lancemantis posted:

I guess big sur residents had a little protest about tourists wrecking the place and Joshua Tree has started closing campgrounds during the shutdown because of the huge mess

i have never "got" big sur on a fundamental level

it has been a tourist town and retiree destination for decades. like, that is the local industry. there's nothing else out there

is this like a retiree vs tourist thing? "i moved here for the scenery how dare you visit"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

how does a sapient fartfog type

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
as i am a being of pure light and Correct Thought, i project my posts onto the internet directly

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

SInce I have always been an indoor cat and have no direct experience in the woods, let me share my favourite and highly aspirational moment from The Soul Of A New Machine

He went away from the basement of Building 14 that day, and left this note in his cubicle, on top of his computer terminal: "I'm sick of nanoseconds, I'm going off to a commune in Vermont where I'll deal with no period of time shorter than a season".

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Dijkstracula posted:

SInce I have always been an indoor cat and have no direct experience in the woods, let me share my favourite and highly aspirational moment from The Soul Of A New Machine

He went away from the basement of Building 14 that day, and left this note in his cubicle, on top of his computer terminal: "I'm sick of nanoseconds, I'm going off to a commune in Vermont where I'll deal with no period of time shorter than a season".

a pro read

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
For some reason I don’t remember that bit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stymie posted:

as i am a being of pure light and Correct Thought, i project my posts onto the internet directly

a stymie post worth quoting

as a cloud of vapor his essence just seeps into the internet involuntarily

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lancemantis posted:

For some reason I don’t remember that bit

being a hagiography of engineers with a mind for business, it doesn't really cover the "cabin in the woods" lot all that closely

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the very name of the book indicates it will be a hagiography before you even crack it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have never "got" big sur on a fundamental level

it has been a tourist town and retiree destination for decades. like, that is the local industry. there's nothing else out there

is this like a retiree vs tourist thing? "i moved here for the scenery how dare you visit"

big sur is pretty overrated but I think people mostly love it because of proximity to the bay and counterculture history (Henry Miller, Kerouac, hst, etc). in reality it's too crowded most of the year and there's poison oak fuckin everywhere. but most people are disrespectful shitheads who ruin everything and leave trash everywhere so I don't blame them for being mad.

Mendocino on up the north coast is prettier and often a lot less people 🤫

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

can confirm mendocino is great and i somehow end up with millions of dollars I will retire to a house there

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

my bitter bi rival posted:

big sur is pretty overrated but I think people mostly love it because of proximity to the bay and counterculture history (Henry Miller, Kerouac, hst, etc). in reality it's too crowded most of the year and there's poison oak fuckin everywhere. but most people are disrespectful shitheads who ruin everything and leave trash everywhere so I don't blame them for being mad.

Mendocino on up the north coast is prettier and often a lot less people 🤫

don't worry its on its way to being ruined as well -- glass beach was already almost just a beach again the last time I was around that portion, and that was a pretty stark difference from the time I had been there before like maybe just a year or two prior

they have added toilets and a paved path though

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lancemantis posted:

don't worry its on its way to being ruined as well -- glass beach was already almost just a beach again the last time I was around that portion, and that was a pretty stark difference from the time I had been there before like maybe just a year or two prior

they have added toilets and a paved path though

i was there this past fall and glass beach basically is already just a beach now. :(

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Turns out you CAN clean something as wild as so much “trash” — in this case sea glass from being a former dumping site — just give the place a reputation and people will pick it clean

Imagine what’s happening to actually protected parks right now; oh wait I don’t have to: https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2019/01/joshua-tree-national-park-close-cleanup-repairs-vandalism-illegal-roads

Though kind of paired with that goes posts like this that kind of depress me sometimes as well

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

lancemantis posted:

Turns out you CAN clean something as wild as so much “trash” — in this case sea glass from being a former dumping site — just give the place a reputation and people will pick it clean

Imagine what’s happening to actually protected parks right now; oh wait I don’t have to: https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2019/01/joshua-tree-national-park-close-cleanup-repairs-vandalism-illegal-roads

Though kind of paired with that goes posts like this that kind of depress me sometimes as well

park rangers should all carry guns so they can immediately execute anyone who throws trash on the ground or vandalizes poo poo. nature, red in tooth and claw, baby

(i assumed that was a gun case, although it's actually much funnier if there's a saxophone in there)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
is that an unironic thin green line patch

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

graph posted:

is that an unironic thin green line patch

you know the answer

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
what kind of monster goes to joshua tree and just cuts down a joshua tree thats seriously some beyond thunderdome poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

what kind of monster goes to joshua tree and just cuts down a joshua tree thats seriously some beyond thunderdome poo poo

hicks are only 'conservationists' to the extent that it involves preserving hunting lands so they can get away from their bitter spouses for a month a year. they dont actually care about the global environment

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pham Nuwen posted:

park rangers should all carry guns so they can immediately execute anyone who throws trash on the ground or vandalizes poo poo. nature, red in tooth and claw, baby

(i assumed that was a gun case, although it's actually much funnier if there's a saxophone in there)

i seem to recall reading an article about how park rangers are frequently confronted by shitheads who seem to be itching for an excuse to gun someone down

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

remember that girl a few years ago who was drawing lovely graffiti and "#creepytings" all over national parks and got arrested because she posted it on instagram

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

remember that girl a few years ago who was drawing lovely graffiti and "#creepytings" all over national parks and got arrested because she posted it on instagram

what an rear end in a top hat hick

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well its not just hicks trying to abuse resources now that they will have trouble catching them -- its also instagram girlfriends and ~adventurers/travelers~ trying to get good shots on their current loop Brought To You By <PRODUCT> and they're not going to let some silly gate stop them; they're hard to control to begin with even when they have staff

also mix in a mentality of "well just little old me driving/camping/walking down here couldn't really hurt anything right" only 200+ other people have that exact same thought process

full-fledged rangers in some systems, like the California state parks system, are also the parks LEOs so you get some crossover with Blue Lives Matter stuff which is always a little depressing

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i seem to recall reading an article about how park rangers are frequently confronted by shitheads who seem to be itching for an excuse to gun someone down

lancemantis posted:

full-fledged rangers in some systems, like the California state parks system, are also the parks LEOs so you get some crossover with Blue Lives Matter stuff which is always a little depressing

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

we had a couple dipshits arrested recently for doing this at a beloved Texas state park.

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/crime/suspects-in-enchanted-rock-vandalism-arrested/122946733

quote:

San Marcos police said Agawereh had been arrested Jan. 15 on felony charges of manufacture and delivery of a controlled substance (cocaine). Detectives said the nickname “Ca$h” was linked to Baird while Agawereh’s nickname “Truck” was already known to police.

A state felony graffiti charge carries a penalty of up to two years in state jail and a $10,000 fine if convicted.

Both Agawereh and Baird also face narcotics charges for marijuana, amphetamine pills and ecstasy found in their apartment when they were arrested. The ecstasy and amphetamine charges are felonies while the marijuana charge is a misdemeanor.

literally execute these people, imo

they also posted it on instagram because they are too dumb to live

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
just hangin wit my boys ca$h and truck

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ploft-shell crab posted:

just hangin wit my boys ca$h and truck

those are their children

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Captain Foo posted:

those are their children

never talk to me or my truck again

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Might be of interest to all you nature lovers:

https://hhhhappy.com/yellowstone-national-park-release-massive-catalogue-of-ambient-sounds-into-public-domain-for-your-sampling-pleasure/

edit: lol talk about poo poo-your-shorts time with the Bear noises

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/photosmultimedia/grizzlysounds.htm

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
HOW IS HALF OF JANUARY GONE IT WAS JUST CHRISTMAS gently caress gently caress FCUK FUKC FUKCLA;LESJRTQ132;4LJ;Lkj;3lq2j5rk

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its ok I have next week off

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
eh a bit of insight into my own brain tonight showed that its not being a pharmacist or even being a real busy pharmacist that drains my motivation to live, but all the extra reports and poo poo my boss wants, and the lack of support given to do so. lol if only they knew how much I wanted out of that place

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

DrPossum posted:

HOW IS HALF OF JANUARY GONE IT WAS JUST CHRISTMAS gently caress gently caress FCUK FUKC FUKCLA;LESJRTQ132;4LJ;Lkj;3lq2j5rk

15 non-repeatable earth days down the drain

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I want to go outside but it keeps raining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
I want to go outside but not continue to my job.