Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

toiletbrush posted:

I've got a co-worker who's like this except instead of asking for help he'll slowly and painstakingly progress from just running the same test again and again to cleaning and rebuilding to restarting Visual Studio to finally rebooting this entire machine to try and fix it, rather than just reading the error message that tells him exactly what he's doing wrong.

reading error messages is genuinely a learned skill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

testing integrations with your persistence layers is a difficult and frustrating problem, imo. i have yet to discover a method of unit testing sql queries that gives me full confidence that they'll perform the way i want.
why not just spin up a docker container containing postgres (or whatever you use), run your migrations against it and unit test all your queries? then the rest of the code can just run with whatever fake in-memory repository you use, but at least you know that a) your migration work and b) your queries are valid

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Sagacity posted:

why not just spin up a docker container containing postgres (or whatever you use), run your migrations against it and unit test all your queries? then the rest of the code can just run with whatever fake in-memory repository you use, but at least you know that a) your migration work and b) your queries are valid

it's slow and error prone. i think it's still worth doing but it's pretty gross.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Sagacity posted:

this is pretty much what we do. when the ci pipeline runs it spins up a db instance and runs all the migrations. test cases for functions that have a part of their business logic written in sql usually start a transaction, insert the test data they need, call the function and roll the transaction back again. more complex queries are usually broken out into separate functions, which get a bunch of test cases just for that query.

treating the database as a service that just returns data and can be mocked out weirds me the hell out. sql queries are functions that return values, of course you can and should test that they behave as intended given a certain input.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

it's slow and error prone. i think it's still worth doing but it's pretty gross.

works great here :shrug:

this wacky behavior i saw today is the first time i've run into a problem with it in months.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
if you mock the db or use an ad hoc db containing only the minimum required to test, then you are going to have all sorts of problems when you move to production where the tables have actual data volume in them and the query planner behaves completely different. for real qa you need a sanitized copy of your prod db, updated regularly, on a server with similar performance to your actual production db server

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
yeah let me just load up a 300tb database whenever we run tests

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

DELETE CASCADE posted:

if you mock the db or use an ad hoc db containing only the minimum required to test, then you are going to have all sorts of problems when you move to production where the tables have actual data volume in them and the query planner behaves completely different. for real qa you need a sanitized copy of your prod db, updated regularly, on a server with similar performance to your actual production db server

sure, but that kind of performance testing is a whole different category of testing. a good test tests one thing. testing that a query does the intended thing logically is an entirely different question from whether it performs sufficiently well in a production-like environment, or whether it plays nice transactionally for that matter.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

unit testing should run in as predictable an environment as possible. attempting to write unit tests against production data sounds like an exercise in constant frustration when your test scenario fails due to some valid change to the live data - not to mention how much longer your tests will take to run compared to mocking a data source

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah there's just no very satisfying solution.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
we use jOOQ for our SQL stuff in java and when we make changes to the schema we spin up a docker container, run migrations, then have jOOQ generate the Record/Table models needed for typesafe queries, then commit those into the project.

it makes it hard to write a broken query because you don't get to use strings

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

TheFluff posted:

sure, but that kind of performance testing is a whole different category of testing. a good test tests one thing. testing that a query does the intended thing logically is an entirely different question from whether it performs sufficiently well in a production-like environment, or whether it plays nice transactionally for that matter.

ya of course you can do the unit testing with mocks, but that's like a minimum requirement. it seems like a lot of people stop there and pat themselves on the back for their code coverage metrics. not sure why they do that, since unit testing is drudgery while performance testing is challenging and interesting

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

toiletbrush posted:

I've got a co-worker who's like this except instead of asking for help he'll slowly and painstakingly progress from just running the same test again and again to cleaning and rebuilding to restarting Visual Studio to finally rebooting this entire machine to try and fix it, rather than just reading the error message that tells him exactly what he's doing wrong.

ive definitely done the opposite - spend half an hour resetting settings to try and work out why the solution won't start properly in debug only to remember that "hey, sometimes VS gets flakey and you just gotta restart it".

in this case, the error is from an internal library that was actually written by a Not-Terrible programmer and has custom error classes that tell you exactly what is going on, and logs out the output of what it's doing so you can see where the error is.

i strongly suspect the problem is that although they say they're running it with elevated permissions, they actually aren't and so it can't write the machine key needed for the config encyption library to work

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Current terrible programmer status: saved output to folders in the format 'year-minute-day' instead of 'year-month-day' lol

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Asleep Style posted:

Current terrible programmer status: saved output to folders in the format 'year-minute-day' instead of 'year-month-day' lol

let those who have never sinned cast the first stone

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

gonadic io posted:

let those who have never sinned cast the first stone

I did this. Turns out in .NET you want "yyyy-MM-dd", not "yyyy-mm-dd"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Asleep Style posted:

Just wait until somebody uses YYYY instead of yyyy in a Java SimpleDateFormat!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

CPColin posted:

i've done this

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Is there a conference thread? Please tell me someone else here is at codemash tonight

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

CPColin posted:

The more I learn about date/time issues the more I'm amazed that anything works. What a minefield.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Asleep Style posted:

The more I learn about date/time issues the more I'm amazed that anything works. What a minefield.

just wait until we get to mars! and also regularly travel fast enough to experience noticeable relativistic effects (satellites already kind of do)

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
if you're lazy like me you can just janitor up an SQL server and fill it with data, then turn it on when you want to use it. I do this in EC2 and use Travis to start/stop it.

If you're dealing with 10s of terabytes of data obvs this gets pretty expensive because you pay for cloud disk all the time but it's still probably worth it for realistic testing.

If you want to be super complete and you don't mind long running builds the nirvana is starting with an empty database, filling it with data, then running all the unit tests against it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What the hell sort of "unit tests" are you writing that you need to have them interact with a database?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
absolute unit tests

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jabor posted:

What the hell sort of "unit tests" are you writing that you need to have them interact with a database?

technically it's an integration test, but any non-trivial sql ought to be tested

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

CPColin posted:

absolute unit tests

pretty good

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

I’m always surprised to see so much emphasis on unit tests over other types, when in my experience they are useful for catching regressions and absolutely nothing else. It’s like the least interesting, least difficult type of testing

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They're like the easiest ones to write when you're writing new code and the hardest to write when you're trying to cover existing code that has poor coverage.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DELETE CASCADE posted:

I’m always surprised to see so much emphasis on unit tests over other types, when in my experience they are useful for catching regressions and absolutely nothing else. It’s like the least interesting, least difficult type of testing

unit test where I work means "thing kicked off by junit that is a convoluted check for a bug we just fixed and probably won't run into again". we want to just do continuous stress tests of the whole product but it's hard to get the resources behind that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the only time I’ve felt successful using unit tests was when I was making a thing that needed to be interoperable with other, existing implementations. the test suite was thorough enough to give me the confidence that passing all the tests meant my implementation worked. also I didn’t actually have to write any of the tests, that was a big help

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

jit bull transpile posted:

unit test where I work means "thing kicked off by junit that is a convoluted check for a bug we just fixed and probably won't run into again". we want to just do continuous stress tests of the whole product but it's hard to get the resources behind that.

yeah we have those too. but we also have unit tests written by the original developer of a class, so that it passes code coverage. if one such test fails due to a programming error, ie an error in translation from concept to code, the programmer will fix it before submitting their code+tests. if a test fails because of a misunderstanding of the intended behavior, the programmer will align the code and the test to the same misunderstanding. therefore the test always passes, unless a regression occurs which now violates the programmer's tested assumptions. in no case have we verified that the code delivers as expected when deployed in an actual production environment, which is where 99% of the bugs appear in my experience, and more unit tests won't ever fix this

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The unit tests state the behaviour the programmer intended. They then ensure that when the code is changed later, the only behaviours that change are the ones that the programmer intends to change. That has a lot of value with long-lived code that will be changed many times over its lifespan.

If you're just writing a prototype that will be thrown away rather than maintained or extended then I guess they're not so useful, but my experience with such prototypes is that they're often more permanent than you originally intended...

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the #1 thing unit tests do is find regressions. if your tests are good, then its great. if your test are wrong, then its still good because you're ensuring it continues to work like the previous version.

if you want unit tests to also verify design functionality you need to have someone (preferably another team) write the tests.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Jabor posted:

fine, just call them "tests" then. most web apps are in a somewhat unhealthy codependent relationship with their database, so a lot of business logic is usually written in a mix of sql (or something that generates sql) and whatever application language you're using. of course the business logic needs tests, and to test that the parts written in sql do what they're supposed to be doing, you need a database. how else would you test them?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jabor posted:

I mean I'm writing a database management system

but I'm probably an outlier

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Shaggar posted:

if you want unit tests to also verify design functionality you need to have someone (preferably another team) write the tests.

if i have a team of people capable of understanding another team's codebase well enough to write tests within it that meaningfully exercise design corner cases of a spec they also had no hand in writing, then i'd better give them something more interesting to do than writing unit tests all day, or they'll quit

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
meanwhile at my job:

the gently caress's a unit test? is that something qa does?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

DELETE CASCADE posted:

if i have a team of people capable of understanding another team's codebase well enough to write tests within it that meaningfully exercise design corner cases of a spec they also had no hand in writing, then i'd better give them something more interesting to do than writing unit tests all day, or they'll quit

that's why nobody does good qa

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
unit testing is good because it forces you to design your code in a unit testable way, which encourages dependency injection and other good design patterns.

For instance:
code:
   class Foo {
        int id;
        String name;
   }

// Bad, can't unit test processing logic
   static Foo getAndProcessFoo(int fooId) {
        Foo foo = db.getFoo(fooId);
        foo.name = "butts";
       return foo;
   }

// Better, can easily unit test static 'processFoo' method, good enough for simple stuff
   static Foo processFoo(Foo foo) {
        foo.name = "butts";
        return foo;
   }

Foo getAndProcessFoo(int fooId) {
        return Class.processFoo(database.getFoo(fooId));
    }

// Best, can swap out database/fooprocessor for integration testing and extension, and can test each as units. 
  interface Database {
     Foo getFoo(int);
  }

interface FooProcessor {
    Foo process(Foo);
 }

static <D extends Database, F extends FooProcessor> getAndProcessFoo(D db, F fp, int fooId) {
     return fp.process((db.getFoo(fooId)))
  }
if you don't find unit tests helpful, chances are you're designing your code poorly. although some apps are literally just glue and you might have a hard time unit testing those.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
there's a point where adding layers upon layers of interfaces on everything feels like it's diminishing return on programming time

sometimes an int is just an int