Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

B: Interfacing our experimental crazy AI with another crazy AI is a Really Good Idea imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sheep-dodger posted:

D Task our drones with catching the union pilots
While they're away B, engage our EWAR systems.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Agree with D, but want to do A instead of B. Let's not show all our cards too early.

probably safe to assume that if anyone knows what a Gorgon is and what it does it's the paracausal AI with access to Horus tech. If Tumaini doesn't already know we have one, and anyone here lives to tell him, that just means we didn't do a very good job

it doesn't seem like the murderbots are passing on any intel anyway, they were sicced on the station and left to succeed or die as they might, but if they are livestreaming back to daddy when we open up then :unsmigghh:

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 13, 2018

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

+1 DB:bandwagon:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MaliciousOnion posted:

Agree with D, but want to do A instead of B. Let's not show all our cards too early.

The Gorgon can't fire it's main gun normally anyway, we should be able to shoot at anything that attacks an ally as a reaction while also doing the hacking

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Azhais posted:

The Gorgon can't fire it's main gun normally anyway, we should be able to shoot at anything that attacks an ally as a reaction while also doing the hacking

You're thinking specifically of the Vorpal Gun which is in the Gorgon license tree but we don't have one equipped yet. We're rocking a regular GMS shotgun, a thermal pistol, and a pair of light drone nexus.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker

sheep-dodger posted:

+1

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

sheep-dodger posted:

Vote: Nice, +1

Even if we can't catch them (although 2km is a long fall, our drones will have to out-thrust gravity, and, make up for the time difference), its a good faith effort to show that we care.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Baby's got a new pair of shoes.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Excerpt, The Canny Mercenary’s Travel Guide, 14th Ed.

Ciocelle

Classification: Declining Core System
System Population: 4.51 billion planetside, 149.1 million various orbitals
Governing Structure: Anarchic World
Financial System: Union Standard, with additional barter system
Monetary System: Bartered Goods/Manna

History
Part of the first wave of Union-led colonization, Ciocelle was established in 2107U. As deep-space monitoring was not as advanced as it is now, the colony ship d’Arc arrived to discover that their planned terrestrial world was in fact over 95% water, and much poorer in mineral resources than projected. The colonizers adapted however, and built large vertically-oriented megalopoli on the four major landmasses as well as many aquatic facilities in the narrow shallows. The Colony prospered eventually, and was designated a Core System in 3001 with the construction of LIUSHI SHAN Station.

However, this period of relative prosperity ended in the late 4500s. Ciocelle’s star-system is technically a binary system, with a remote partner containing several non-viable terrestrial worlds. But a cometary impact with Ciocelle-B2 caused a climatic shift enabling human habitability. As the planet had shown vast mineral deposits on previous surveys, a colony ship was shortly commissioned. Ciocelle’s parliament declared it a the start of a new era of galactic relevance for their world, and focused a large portion of the systems resource-flow to bootstraping the colony as quickly as possible.

Unknown to the the people of Ciocelle, the colonization of ‘Estrella’ was headed by a consortium of private companies that had used sympathetic members of the parliament to write extraordinarily exploitative terms into the contract. When the new colony was established, Ciocelle’s residents discovered that not only was Estrella completely independent of Ciocellian influence, the resource diversion that was originally for assisting the new colony was in fact permanent. The heads of the private consortium set themselves up as the rulers of the resource-rich world, along with their parliamentary allies. Ciocelle’s economy crashed, and it has spent the last half-millennia in and out of political turmoil.

Society
While Ciocelle retains enough control over its local resources to provide the Union-required Universal Minimum Support (all the better for Estrella to avoid any pointed Union fact-finding missions), the general political turmoil makes it difficult to ensure efficient distribution. This, along with a lack of access to goods and services above the UMS, has led to the Ciocellians using a basic barter system to trade goods and services among themselves.

As Union only provides security to its facilities, there is also a high-level of petty crime and gang activity. While the majority of the gangs function more as local security services, there are enough involved in organized criminal activities to give Ciocelle a Caution 2 rating for civilians and non-infantry personnel.

Special Note:
While the political situation in Ciocelle would make it look like an all-you-can-eat buffet for the canny mercenary, in truth new ruling coalitions, monarchs, and dictators rise and fall so quickly that you’ll want to make sure and get paid in advance.

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 16, 2018

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
First-pass analysis of the various EWAR poo poo floating through the local datastream begins to pile up in your displays, //SCORPION already formulating counter-worms and proxy-spikes. You’re about to dump a shitload of pain into the construction bot and anything linked to it when Baby’s Threat Matrix pings something for your attention. Two small objects with Union IFFs floating out in the zeegee, CAL/SCHMITT and IVANOV/IVAN. They must have bounced off a support or something after being knocked off the parade grounds, slowing their motion. But even at their speed out would soon become down, and two kilometers is a long way down. You sigh, thinking of who they might land on, and drag the idents into the drones’ nexus and cut them loose.

”Search and Rescue Baby, closest clear LZ.” The comp/con trills, and the light drones arc out into the clear. Your good deed for the day done, you turn back to the EWAR console and the construction bot. The BLACKBEARD is persisting, having managed to score a good hit to one of the legs while you were distracted. But the behemoth is bringing two of its rivet-guns to bear, which isn’t a good sign. You quickly put the finishing touches onto a broad-spectrum fragmenter and inject it into the bot’s control system.

(System Roll vs E-Defense: 11vs8, Success)

The rivet-gun armatures begin to track oddly as its sensors are flooded with bogus data. Your satisfied smirk fades quickly though, as the bot begins to purge the worms faster than you projected. They’ve hardwired an NHP casket into the control system, and its not just unshackled but in full cascade. Its going to win in a straight-up EWAR duel, but luckily you aren’t playing by those rules. You ping the local comm.

”I’ve bought some time, but Le Grand Fils is going to slip its leash sooner rather than later.” There’s a handful of acknowledgements and some muffled shouting in Arabite, and you see the Union’s two SHERMANs start projecting targeting data. //SCORPION pings you for a judgement call, it detected an intrusion that didn’t register as immediately hostile. Taking a look at it with one eye while concentrating on rotating algorithms versus the constructibot, you notice a familiar subfield in the ping that had been buried in junk data.

”Bo? Is that you mon ami?” A Union sub-encrypt links with your comm and pushes it down into the background frequencies.

”BOUDICEA, Pilot River. And yes, this is the Prime Instance for Liyongo Auxiliary. I require backup Pilot, and your signal is the only one I have been able to connect with. There is a PERSISTENCE multi-subjectivity attempting to crack my vault. I project that my security measures will fail in the next 18 minutes, and I contain too many Auxiliary access codes to be subverted.” There’s a pause on the line. ”While I am still capable of self-destructing, I would really prefer to not do so. Can you be of assistance Pilot?”

The flare filters on you holovids kick in, shielding you from stray laser light. Seems one of the SHERMANs decided that Solidcore-ing the constructibot was a good plan. As you look at the 2 meter hole in the bot’s core, you have to agree.

A: Let the BOUDICA PI Self-Destruct
There’s still alot of clean-up to do, and the Naval Auxiliary can always requisition another copy.
B: Cyber-Dive to BOUDICA’s Defense
Le Grand Fils is on its last legs, the Union pilots can handle clean-up for now. Who are you to leave a lady in a bind?
C: Grab Backup for Your Backup
You may need to move around to find the best place to help BOUDICA. Snag Okafor at the elevator so she can watch your back and move back into the tower.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

C

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
C

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
While it's true that BOUDICEA can be replaced by a fresh copy, the drawback is that it'll be a fresh copy, starting from scratch and having to be brought up to spec on everything her predecessor's done, and right now she may have useful intel. Also telling someone to self-destruct is rude. Let's get the sergeant and C what we can do to help.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

C

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

C

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
C

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

:bandwagon:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: C: Grab Backup for Your Backup

This way you have someone to blame when the station goes up like a roman-candle.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Definitely C

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
C

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
This has not been forgotten, I hope to have an update by tomorrow

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoultryGeist posted:

:toot:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

PoultryGeist posted:

Take your time; we'll be here.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Huzzah! :hist101:

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
”We’ve got Pilot Safar out and in triage Pilot River, it doesn’t look like he re-injured himself too badly. Foreman Habte and his crew have the Blackbeard in a repair cradle, that may take a little longer to fix.”

You nod to the Captain’s holographic head. ”And you’re still secure in the hangar?”

“Yes, no sign of any subalterns or compromised bots. The remaining Handymen have set a perimeter, and Pilot-Commander Watts is still reports. They’ve confirmed the Administrator’s Office is still secure, and are setting rally points.”

“Good to hear, mon Capitaine. We’re nearing the secure storage level, hopefully we’ll have Bo extracted soon. River out.”

Your declaration that you’d be taking Okafor to extract the besieged NHP precipitated a bit of a ‘jurisdictional dispute’ with the AdSec pilots, but when the Captain hit them with Auxiliary regs Watts icily declared you were free to waste your time as you saw fit. About the best you could expect from what was most likely an Estrella highbrow. Speaking of brows, you notice Pilot Okafor giving you the side-eye on the screen.

”Quoi?”

“Its… so did you sneeze when you were entering your VLAD’s specs into the printer?”

“Its a custom license, small-run manufacturer. EWAR and overwatch specialization, I thought it appropriate given the sitch.”

“Yes, I suppose that would be useful. It seems… Auntie’s warnings all these years may have been a best-case scenario. I know there are several members of the Excellencies’ Council she would happily rub this in to. If it wasn’t a dire threat to Liyongo, that is.”

The cargo elevator continues its slow trundle down, compensating for heavy loads and variable gravity by moving at a snail's pace. You sensors show the whole passage as clear, and //SCORPION hasn’t found any new intrusion attempts. Even Bo is reporting her condition as stable. A nice, quiet elevator ride.

Which makes it the perfect time to ask an awkward question:

A: So, how did you find out about you and the Captain?
B: So, that Yonas. What do you think he looks like under his hardsuit?
C: So, wanna go get a drink after this op is over?
D: So- (God no Banh, keep your fool mouth shut for once!)

(A bit short, I know. But it gets the wheels moving again!)

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 4, 2019

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A>B>D

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

D>C>A

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

C

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A assuming we’re confident we’re on a private channel.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
C > A

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
C

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Are you kidding? C all the way. We have a reputation to uphold.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

C, naturellement

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
C provides an opportunity for even MORE awkward questions! :v:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Kai Tave posted:

Are you kidding? C all the way. We have a reputation to uphold.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: C>A>B

What the hell kind of space-french swashbuckling 'mech jock would we be if we didn't hit on everything with two legs and long hair? (and yes, that includes both guys and robots).

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
”Hey O-” The nexus interrupts you with a priority notification:

MC-DLA Nexus posted:

>>:SAR Mission: Success\\Evac Location Designation :/NEIGHBORHOOD 273 CLINIC
>>:System Failure Warning\\Unable to Path to Nexus\Insufficient Fuel
<<:Why Can’t Mother Sing Us Home? We Love You Father, Remember Us Please
Huh. Anyways…

”Hey Okafor, how about we grab a drink after we’ve grabbed Bo and this mess is cleaned up? Someone must have opened a bar somewhere on the station.”

Her expression is skeptical. ”A bar? You do realize that no true daughter or son of Liyongo would allow themselves to become intoxicated, yes?”

“Oh come on now. You’re telling me that you never nipped off after lights-out and passed around a bottle of homebrew? You may be genetically maximized, but you’re still human mon ami.”

“Well…”
She makes a show of checking the channel encryption before continuing. ”There was the time in Tertiary Creche when we found a container of plums that had gone over. Amadi challenged me to drink the fluid, so of course I had to. The taste was truly awful, but the after effects were… not entirely unpleasant.”

“Ah, see! Think of it as a cultural exchange. A nice bottle of wine by candlelight, see how those from outside Liyongo enjoy an evening.”
You give her a #6 Smile, but it falters a bit in the face of her redoubled skepticism.

”Candles? Pilot River, are you attempting to initiate a sexual liaison?”

“Ahhhhh, oui?”

You’ve experienced many reactions in the past, even laughter. But S-Pilot Okafor’s laughter isn’t mocking, its a great stress-relieving belly laugh.

"Am I hearing a yes?"

Her laughter subsides, but mirth colors her voice. "You're hearing a 'keep your mind on the job in front of you Pilot'."

"Ah, Duty. Such a harsh taskmaster."

The elevator shudders to a halt and the hatchway opens. Okafor moves her Everest forwards, instinctively clearing the corners. Holding up one of the frame’s manipulators, she signals for you to stay put. But your commchannel picks something up on the open line, a stray bit of amused audio amplified by Baby’s new threat-detection algorithms:

”River, River, River, I would crush you.”

+++++
Outside the Union Secured Data Vaults

The immense airlock doors stand partially open on both ends, without even the patchy illumination of emergency lighting coming from within. Still no hostile pings, physical or electronic. Not even any damaged shells that littered the halls closer to the elevator.

”Bo, we’re here mon ami. What’s your status?”

There’s no answer. The channel is still open, but you can’t get a status ping back from the other end either. Okafor takes up a ready position to the left of the ‘lock, readying her mech’s pistol.

”Obviously a trap, and I’m not really loaded out for CQB in a fragiles zone. How do you want to play this?”

A: Kick in the Door
Full assault spread, knock the ambushers off-balance and take advantage
B: Keep it Quiet
Move in on stealth, using Baby’s EWAR to help mask your signals
C: Cover Me
Set up your system invasion out here, have Okafor provide fire support

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 11, 2019

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

AB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Check if our pilot's insurance covers pelvic reconstruction.