Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Cold on a Cob posted:

i used to but i can't take nsaids anymore so i just suffer through the pain :toot:

oh gently caress what prevents you from taking nsaids? stomach stuff? I ask because I really don't want to have to switch to anything liver-destroying when I inevitably hurt my back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I used to down ibuprofen like candy and then one day my body decided that ibuprofen ruins my stomach now. it’s generally ok if I’ve eaten recently but it’s bad enough and enough of a dice roll that I generally choose between having a drink and not hurting when I have a headache or something

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Achmed Jones posted:

I used to down ibuprofen like candy and then one day my body decided that ibuprofen ruins my stomach now. it’s generally ok if I’ve eaten recently but it’s bad enough and enough of a dice roll that I generally choose between having a drink and not hurting when I have a headache or something

you can't just take a tylenol?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yes, tylenol works to make me not hurt. that’s why I have to choose between having a drink and not hurting. I guess I could drink and take it but I prefer having a liver that works

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I guess there’s like aleve though, it doesn’t work as well for pain but I also dont remember it ruining my stomach. but tbh it’s been a real long time since I’ve take that

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Achmed Jones posted:

yes, tylenol works to make me not hurt. that’s why I have to choose between having a drink and not hurting. I guess I could drink and take it but I prefer having a liver that works

Tylenol works fine tho

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Achmed Jones posted:

I used to down ibuprofen like candy and then one day my body decided that ibuprofen ruins my stomach now

it's this

tylenol doesn't help my pain. aspirin doesn't help. even mild opioids only help a bit but i'm trying physio and lifestyle changes before i hop on that train anyway

Achmed Jones posted:

I guess there’s like aleve though, it doesn’t work as well for pain but I also dont remember it ruining my stomach. but tbh it’s been a real long time since I’ve take that

naproxen is also an nsaid, same symptoms. ditto voltaren gel and aspirin.

i have diclofenac sodium/misoprostol prescribed to me and it's supposed to be milder on my stomach but if i don't take it on an absolutely full stomach it still causes issues

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 11, 2019

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

drugchat in the interview thread

i guess it fits

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Progressive JPEG posted:

drugchat in the interview thread

i guess it fits

Especially since at $lastjob the recruiters would do coke together in the bathrooms

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
is there any good reason that

recruiter posted:

They are looking for a senior engineer to join their team in NY who can help them both provide oversight to their more junior engineers but most importantly somebody who can work directly with the CEO to help bounce around ideas and run R&D projects that will help drive the evolution of the firm.

would require

recruiter posted:

Given the nature of the role the CEO has asked us to be discrete in our search until we've validated that candidates are a good fit, at which point we'd be more than happy to share full details of the firm.

or is it just recruiter bullshit? normally I’d just assume the latter but the job and firm description sounded so good I want to get some outside opinions before I (politely) tell the recruiter to go gently caress herself

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Is it bad form/does it make you look like a pussy if you get sent roles for Lead but say you really just want to be a regular dev?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

toiletbrush posted:

Is it bad form/does it make you look like a pussy if you get sent roles for Lead but say you really just want to be a regular dev?

take the lead role and salary, just do the regular dev job

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

raminasi posted:

would require

or is it just recruiter bullshit? normally I’d just assume the latter but the job and firm description sounded so good I want to get some outside opinions before I (politely) tell the recruiter to go gently caress herself

fuckin clowshow recruiter doesn't know the difference between discrete and discreet so i doubt it matters as much as they think it does

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

jit bull transpile posted:

is all of yospos abusing drugs just to do their jobs?

i have a xanax scrip for general anxiety and major sources of same include 'weekly meetings @ currentjob' and 'interviewing'

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

toiletbrush posted:

Depends on whether Lead means anything more than "something to promote seniors to" in that company. I've been in a team that had 3 Lead devs, who were just experienced regular devs with no additional responsibilities whatsoever (the dream).

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

raminasi posted:

would require

is the CEO literally the devil? The company is probably terrible; steals babies, digs up landscapes for coal, is huawei or possibly the bank that crashed the economy last time.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Boiled Water posted:

is the CEO literally the devil? The company is probably terrible; steals babies, digs up landscapes for coal, is huawei or possibly the bank that crashed the economy last time.

recruiter posted:

My client is an award-winning, well funded Tech company with offices in NY and London who have built an inference engine which is currently live with a number of Tier 1 Financial Service firms operating in the regulatory & compliance space but have plans this year to extend its use into other domains like autonomous vehicles / drones etc..

financial regulation/compliance is actually a thing that attracted me; I find finance technically interesting but annoying traders is way more appealing than helping them make money

but “if you google them you won’t want to work with them” is an obvious thing I should have thought of, yeah

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

my current company burned me so bad so now i do not believe a single loving company pitch anymore

recruiter posted:

My client is an award-winning, well funded Tech company with offices in NY and London who have built an inference engine which is currently live with a number of Tier 1 Financial Service firms operating in the regulatory & compliance space but have plans this year to extend its use into other domains like autonomous vehicles / drones etc..

1. we won the "most promising startup" award in some ycombinator circle jerk
2. we have 2 years of runway if we stick to paying way below market rate salaries
3. we have a PO box in london, and basically a desk in some startup nerd hub
4. we built some piece of poo poo keras/tensoflow thing we sold to some buzzword addicted boss, but it's not working too well so now we are pivoting to selling our crap to idiots who believe in self driving cars

the recruiter is being "discrete" because they probably know the moment you look this place up on glassdoor they're going to get ghosted faster than a robocaller, and the only way to get butts in interview seats is playing this bullshit hide and seek game

one more warning sign is that the CEO is looking for what seems to be a team lead. questions: who was the team that built their current product? what happened to the team lead? where are all the senior engineers? it seems there's two ways this can play out - the CEO is actually the team lead/senior engineer who built the current thing and now wants someone to take over. fair enough, but seems like a position with a lot of interpersonal issues built right in, because for some reason they are expecting an outsider to take over instead of someone in the team who is already familiar with all the stuff in the company. the second scenario is that the previous team lead bailed and again there is nobody on the team who can or will replace them. either way this position better come with good-great figgies because you probably will need to be a master diplomat in addition to your technical skills.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

it sounds like a third party recruiter making up a reason for not disclosing the client lest you go to them directly

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

it sounds like a third party recruiter making up a reason for not disclosing the client lest you go to them directly

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
is it possible to get some company to fly you out to an on-site just to get a free mini-vacation

what's the sweet spot for bay area companies where they're small enough to be desperate but big enough to pay for that

i mean I know google or someone would pay for that, but not worth it to go through 10 google interviews first

also i'm a terrible programmer, lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cheque_some posted:

is it possible to get some company to fly you out to an on-site just to get a free mini-vacation

what's the sweet spot for bay area companies where they're small enough to be desperate but big enough to pay for that

i mean I know google or someone would pay for that, but not worth it to go through 10 google interviews first

also i'm a terrible programmer, lol

most companies will pay for it, whether small or big

but is it worth the hassle? you're still going to have to pay for a hotel in the most expensive market in america

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

most companies will pay for it, whether small or big

but is it worth the hassle? you're still going to have to pay for a hotel in the most expensive market in america

they won't pay for the hotel? or you mean if I wanted to extend the trip out a few extra days?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cheque_some posted:

they won't pay for the hotel? or you mean if I wanted to extend the trip out a few extra days?

the latter.

if they pay for a hotel at all, it will be for one night. (I've had companies try to book me for double red-eyes to avoid paying for a hotel!)

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

prepping for a tech interview is depressing, especially knowing nothing you’re practicing will ever be relevant to the job

super chuffed to be white boarding some tree traversal next week, or maybe it’ll be some longest subsequence or bit shifting bullshit

that said, I had two on sites last week that barely probed any technical poo poo which made me a little suspicious

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

any company that's recruiting in not-their-local-area will fly you out and put you in a hotel. amazon and google put you in the fairmont, but any company'll put you in a decent hotel. my current place put the family in a holiday inn; it would've been a nicer hotel but we were driving up with our dog to check out the area

some companies will put you up for 2 nights if you're going a long distance, but not all. when i interviewed at raytheon in baltimore from the west coast, they'd only do one night, but amazon would've given me two nights interviewing in seattle from southern california. i had them reschedule though 'cause basically i just wanted to get a beer with a friend in seattle, go to sleep, go interview, and then go home to ms. and toddler jones.

also some good news for the thread: i passed the amazon and google on-sites and got a verbal offer from amazon. now i'm terrified that google will fall apart before the offer is made (that is, during placement) and that the amazon offer will vanish before the google offer materializes and i'll be stuck with nothing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Achmed Jones posted:

[...] and that the amazon offer will vanish before the google offer materializes and i'll be stuck with nothing

this almost never happens

if you are waiting on an offer from google, tell the amazon rep that you are waiting, and you intend to wait, and you're quite serious about waiting

set a date to check back in

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Achmed Jones posted:

some companies will put you up for 2 nights if you're going a long distance, but not all. when i interviewed at raytheon in baltimore from the west coast, they'd only do one night, but amazon would've given me two nights interviewing in seattle from southern california

raytheon and amazon are both relatively sane, normal companies, and the original question did not limit itself in scope to jobs a fellow might actually want

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you are waiting on an offer from google, tell the amazon rep that you are waiting, and you intend to wait, and you're quite serious about waiting

that's awesome to hear, thank you! amazon knows about the google thing (and vice versa) and they said that they weren't looking to strongarm me or anything, i'm just super nervous. the google positions are in kirkland and sunnyvale and my brain kinda just shuts down when i think of bay area cost of living and making decisions like this. the last time i went job hunting, it was because i was pretty sure i was gonna get laid off if i didn't (the company sold its main product), but this time i just sort of put myself out there and two months later i have these offers and can't really convince myself it's not all a big mistake

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if they give you a job it will pay enough to live even in sunnyvale

it's the waiters and janitors and schoolteachers and poo poo who actually cant afford it

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
since starting to work for BigTechCo in NYC i've been flown out to the bay area for 2 weeks, and holy poo poo how do people live there? not only is it unnecessarily expensive, but what are you even paying for? there is nothing to do there, except maybe visiting your company's campus. i really hate it so much

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

And also tell Google you're sitting on an Amazon offer, it'll speed up the giving you an offer part.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hey now there’s a lot to do in the Bay Area as long as it’s not city stuff

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i wish i could get companies here to wait for me to get other processes finished. i don't know if it's because i went through a recruiter but the mentality just does not exist. the usual decision time i have got is 1 week or 2 weeks tops. it's take it or leave it, and i don't know if it's just that i have not had the guts to call this bullshit or (more likely) the companies just expect that once you are interviewing with them, it is them alone that you want to work with and i know cases that even mentioning that you are talking to other companies as well is enough to end the process right there and then

japan. thank you

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I once had a company pay for my expenses to Seattle and the 5 star hotel they set me up in, including meals. It's more than possible, just depends on the company.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The current company I am at flew me out and back on the same day, but it was only a one hour flight. :v:

Heck, at the time they just had 11 people. If a company is too cheap to fly you out, it’s not a company at which you should even consider working.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
meanwhile here i am recording webcam answers to interview questions in some online timed bullshit thing

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

gonadic io posted:

meanwhile here i am recording webcam answers to interview questions in some online timed bullshit thing

well yeah, you have to get through that first.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ratbert90 posted:

well yeah, you have to get through that first.

no you don't, you can and should tell them to gently caress off

not unlike me, when a recruiter for a small tech company asked if I could re-do their personality test to give a better result. Please. If you're gonna disregard your own cargo cult why even go through the steps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

gonadic io posted:

As a candidate?

I've just finished a do-it-in-your-own-time technical test where I had to refactor, fix bugs and add tests to a blob of dodgy code. I've got a feeling that wether my solution is judged to be over engineered or not will depend entirely on some domain specific knowledge that I was very upfront about not having (it basically comes down to wether the inconsistency in the original code is the bug I was supposed to fix, or necessary flexibility)