Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

They're both terrible really but the hobbit movies were slightly better than the lotr ones just for being visually more interesting

This is very thread appropriate and I salute you for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

key jingling: the movie

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

They're both terrible really but the hobbit movies were slightly better than the lotr ones just for being visually more interesting

Fellowship was by far the best of the whole lot because it was still an unproven concept and Peter Jackson didn't have as much free reign yet, but you could probably make this case for the other two.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I have no idea how anyone could have that opinion. Like the first lord of the rings is pretty much all beautiful visual stuff and the others aren't bad except when they are near mordor. The hobbit, meanwhile, just looked...fake. Especially scenes like that river scene with the barrels. It seemed more CGI than natural.

They're both really bad adaptations but at least the hobbit had some cool characters like The Great Goblin and a good Thranduil and i can accept it for being aggressively ridiculous

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Shibawanko posted:

They're both really bad adaptations but at least the hobbit had some cool characters like The Great Goblin and a good Thranduil and i can accept it for being aggressively ridiculous

I was only speaking from the "visuals" perspective. I don't really have a strong opinion on the movies, they are just the kind of movies I'd queue up to have as background noise most of the day since they are so long.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I was only speaking from the "visuals" perspective. I don't really have a strong opinion on the movies, they are just the kind of movies I'd queue up to have as background noise most of the day since they are so long.

The visuals don't look real but at least they look interesting. It's all crazy bullshit but at least it doesn't put me to sleep the way the lotr movies do.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
anyone who turns their nose at a hot dog is a child, in my eyes. wait, no, children love hot dogs (especially with all the messy poo poo on it like chili, cheese, and onions), i don't know what hot dog antagonizers are

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Straight White Shark posted:

Fellowship was by far the best of the whole lot because it was still an unproven concept and Peter Jackson didn't have as much free reign yet, but you could probably make this case for the other two.

All three LOTR movies were filmed at the same time though.

Edit: Also while my opinion on the movies isn't thread appropriate, I'll make it so by saying that the movies were better than the books and Balrogs have wings.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah but the pick up shots, vfx, and everything leading up to the final cut of the next two weren’t set in stone.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah but the pick up shots, vfx, and everything leading up to the final cut of the next two weren’t set in stone.

Ah. Yeah I suppose he would have had much more liberty with that true.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

christmas boots posted:

Ah. Yeah I suppose he would have had much more liberty with that true.

Right, which is where I suspect they went wrong. Peter Jackson has a wonderful knack for padding out CGI action scenes long enough that they become boring.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
As much as I loved RotK, I do still hate the multiple ending fakeouts.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

christmas boots posted:

As much as I loved RotK, I do still hate the multiple ending fakeouts.

watching it in the theater was agony. So many fades to black where I start getting up, only for it to keep going.

Related unpopular opinion: I will never get why so many people stay for the whole credits. As soon as it fades to black, I'm out of there. I don't care if there's material hidden afterward, if it was good I can just watch it on youtube.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Guillermo Del Toro's Hobbit would probably have sucked. I like his movies in general but any of the attempted franchise stuff like Hellboy and Blade were bad.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mu Zeta posted:

Guillermo Del Toro's Hobbit would probably have sucked. I like his movies in general but any of the attempted franchise stuff like Hellboy and Blade were bad.

Hellboy and Blade 2 were both great

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nope. Blade 2 had horrible CGI and I hate Wesley Snipe in every scene. I like the wolf pack though. Hellboy had the lovely fragile female character trope that's annoying as poo poo and the main white guy protagonist is so boring I can't remember his name.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mu Zeta posted:

I hate Wesley Snipe in every scene.

what the gently caress

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

what the gently caress

He’s one of the motherfuckers Blade talked about

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The main problem is trying to turn Hobbit into a billion dolla budget mega epic. Del Torro would have been able to make a good small scale Hobbit movie for sure, but if the studios insisted on a giant LOTR like tentpole blockbuster, there was no way to salvage it, really.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I would have been pretty fine with the hobbit if they just cut all the terrible CGI scenes, all the songs, the way the dragon talked, and made it a little easier to take seriously. They aren't terrible movies, they are just full of missed potential.

I haven't read the source material, but even if they were faithful to it, if it sucks just change it. You will piss off the tolkien fans but the diehard book fans aren't the target audience.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

steinrokkan posted:

The main problem is trying to turn Hobbit into a billion dolla budget mega epic. Del Torro would have been able to make a good small scale Hobbit movie for sure, but if the studios insisted on a giant LOTR like tentpole blockbuster, there was no way to salvage it, really.

I think it would have been way better served if it somehow got to come out as one, pre-lotr movie

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think it would have been way better served if it somehow got to come out as one, pre-lotr movie

The short page count belies how much stuff actually happens in it.

People have tried to edit down the Hobbit movies into one film and the result is either 4 hours long or cuts a lot of fun stuff that's actually in the books, and I think that would be unavoidable in any adaption. The animated film does it by making some scenes incredibly brief and removing Beorn, for example.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Related unpopular opinion: I will never get why so many people stay for the whole credits. As soon as it fades to black, I'm out of there. I don't care if there's material hidden afterward, if it was good I can just watch it on youtube.
If you've already been sitting there for two hours, why not wait two extra minutes to see if anything happens? And it gives you time to wake yourself up, stretch, make sure you've got all your stuff, etc. You took the time to come see a movie, how much of a hurry can you really be in anyway?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

I start for the end credits that have cool animations and music

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah there was no way it was going to be anything like the book so they did the right thing and went over the top the other way. The lotr movies were just an inferior version of the story with generic visuals that came straight from WoW or something

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
You're supposed to sit through the credits so you can appreciate all of the people who worked really hard on the movie.

Or something.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

If you've already been sitting there for two hours, why not wait two extra minutes to see if anything happens? And it gives you time to wake yourself up, stretch, make sure you've got all your stuff, etc. You took the time to come see a movie, how much of a hurry can you really be in anyway?

Because if I've been sitting there for two hours I've probably had to pee for at least the last half hour.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
The objectively correct ranking for steak doneness goes, from best to worst,

Medium
Well-Done
Medium-Rare
Rare

I don't rank 'passed well-done to the point of chewy dryness' due to it being a failure in the cooking process rather than the doneness, or blue, because it's not cooking at all.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
Instant coffee is superior to every single alternative coffee choice, both in taste and convenience.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

docbeard posted:

Because if I've been sitting there for two hours I've probably had to pee for at least the last half hour.

yeah pretty much this, but also if you're the first one out you don't have to deal with the traffic rush. That's why I slip out of church a few minutes early too (sorry god)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The worst thing about LotR is that 15 years on, every tv show or movie with swords in it needs supposedly-“celtic” wailing woman music over sad parts.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I cant believe americans still go to church lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I can't believe the British still worship the queen.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
It's pretty intuitively obvious that it's not butter, though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Whenever there's a tragic death of some beautiful young person the articles always quotes someone saying how that person was so beautiful and friendly and that their whole future was ahead of them. It's such a shame that such an intelligent, kind, attractive young woman was killed in her prime. In my mind it's almost implying that it would be okay if it was someone ugly, stupid, and fat was the one that was senselessly murdered. Ugly fat dude dies? Nobody gives a poo poo. Who is going to speak up for a mentally challenged person that was murdered?

Just keep your drat mouth shut. It does the world no good to know that someone killed was very friendly and that it's a tragedy. The only reason these people speak up is because it's a chance to make this story about them and get some Twitter followers. No poo poo it's a tragedy. Let me know when the killer is arrested and how we can prevent this from happening again because the other stuff is useless.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I mean, I get it, but that reads like a big old case of the sads.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I can't believe the British still worship the queen.

Americans also do this.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The closest I’ve got to an american or canadian who cared about the Queen was an ex that saw William and Kate once and said they were really nice. Otoh, every checkout tabloid section on the continent has 10 million different headlines about those inbred fuckers. I guess someone is buying them.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I can kind of understand being interested in royalty back when they actually did anything, but now they're just so boring. I think if they tossed out the boring military uniforms and dresses with a funny hat and went back to dressing like they did in The Tudors with super gaudy furs and jewels all the time, it would lend them an air of authenticity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Americans also do this.

The only people in the US I ever hear talking about the British royal family are British people telling me Americans are obsessed with the British royal family. Maybe they're on the news when they get married or randomly on a cover of a tabloid, but that's about it.

Hell, they don't even have a reality show.