Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Ugh. We were CC'd on an infinite loop between two other support desks. Anyone wanna take a guess how many tickets were generated?

uh... infinite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

DigitalMocking posted:

I am so loving triggered right now.

It's not the DNS, or if it is, it's Paul's fault.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Why the customer has to be the one to set up a conference call between all the different branches of the vendor, I have no loving clue.

telcos.txt

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ugh. We were CC'd on an infinite loop between two other support desks. Anyone wanna take a guess how many tickets were generated?
"Just enough to make my stats look good"?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

:downs: URGENT: please unblock <unsecure filesharing site> so we can send a file to our clients.
:reject: Sorry, no. It's blocked because any files that you send are not encrypted, and any that you receive are potential vectors for malware, etc., etc. Give us the file and we can send it for you, as per our identical response to the 50+ job tickets you've raised about this previously.
:downs: Unacceptable. We can't give you access because it's confidential. NOW BUSINESS CRITICAL PLEASE ADVISE
:reject: Since it's confidential information, please see above. Ticket closed.

It's amazing how quickly people will throw out any semblance of data security the moment it presents them with the slightest inconvenience.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
At least you offered a solution to them. I work in healthcare, so while there's great resources for sending confidential patient data around, there's nothing for sending any other kind of large data. We finally have OneDrive but it's still not the best, plus I get to explain to non-tech people how to upload their giant video files and then share them with me.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

admin / admin

Sometimes it be like that too.

In my case my boss would probably want me to ride the vendor's rear end until they showed up to 'do something'.

I promise it was the first thing I tried.

I did have to ride the vendor. It took them 2 techs and literally my entire day to get somebody there to fix it. I didn't have anything else to do with that time; nbd vendor bro.

One day my dream of phones not being our problem will be realized.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I promise it was the first thing I tried.

I did have to ride the vendor. It took them 2 techs and literally my entire day to get somebody there to fix it. I didn't have anything else to do with that time; nbd vendor bro.

One day my dream of phones not being our problem will be realized.

What much larger and more complex problem will they be replaced with?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

freeedr posted:

What much larger and more complex problem will they be replaced with?

Brain implants

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

tactlessbastard posted:

Brain implants

My cortical implant will not stream Twitch THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Please beam twitch directly into my brain so I can not be so bored all day at work.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Please beam twitch directly into my brain so I can not be so bored all day at work.

Why would watching other people play games make you LESS bored?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

My friend, you drastically underestimate how overqualified I am for my job at present. That being said, I knew what I was getting into. I took this job to escape MSPs and to get my foot into an enterprise environment. There will be some positions opening later this year in exactly the kind of role I want, so this was basically to put myself in the spot to apply internally.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

chin up everything sucks posted:

Why do you like this thing I don’t like! Like the things I like!

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

MoJ had a lot of good technologists working on their stuff.
...now the digital studio guys are in place... before that... not so sure

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wachter posted:

:downs: URGENT: please unblock <unsecure filesharing site> so we can send a file to our clients.
:reject: Sorry, no. It's blocked because any files that you send are not encrypted, and any that you receive are potential vectors for malware, etc., etc. Give us the file and we can send it for you, as per our identical response to the 50+ job tickets you've raised about this previously.
:downs: Unacceptable. We can't give you access because it's confidential. NOW BUSINESS CRITICAL PLEASE ADVISE
:reject: Since it's confidential information, please see above. Ticket closed.

It's amazing how quickly people will throw out any semblance of data security the moment it presents them with the slightest inconvenience.

I know it won't work, but it sounds like what they want to achieve their stated goals is information on how to encrypt the file before they give it to you so that only the recipient can read it. Of course, that's not what they really want, but you could go down that path.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

baquerd posted:

I know it won't work, but it sounds like what they want to achieve their stated goals is information on how to encrypt the file before they give it to you so that only the recipient can read it. Of course, that's not what they really want, but you could go down that path.

I feel like you have to work somewhere that can and will fire you for loving that up to allow it. Management at my place has made that stupid clear in the last couple of years so the rank and file are properly paranoid now.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This has been going on for 3 months now and yesterday I FINALLY got a call scheduled with all the different teams to see if they can't figure out what the gently caress their problem is. Why the customer has to be the one to set up a conference call between all the different branches of the vendor, I have no loving clue.

Oof, had this happen with Qwest (now CenturyLink). We moved buildings. I asked to have our phones moved to the new location, and was told they could do a temporary forward while they did the actual work so there would be no interruption of service.

Then they removed the temporary forward, and we discovered they hadn't moved the service. Called for support, got bounced between engineering, sales, and tech support for hours on end, before someone finally said they'd re-enable the temporary forward while they worked on it internally. I would end up with 1-5 case numbers for various departments, half of which wouldn't correlate to anything if I called back.

This happened...at least a half dozen times. I lost track at some point. The temp forward would work for 2-6 weeks, with no real pattern to when it would suddenly stop working. Meanwhile, no one fixed the actual root problem until I got the name and direct line to a loving regional vice president, and she ended up stomping around until it got fixed properly.

The worst incident was when I took my first vacation in 3 years. I was in a museum with my significant other, and obviously wasn't answering my phone. Got out a few hours later and found several dozen voice mails, emails, and texts, because, spoiler alert, Qwest disabled our temporary forward, AGAIN, without having fixed the root cause, AGAIN. Except my office was too loving dumb to just call loving Qwest from one of their cell phones and get it sorted out, so they hammered me in a quickly spiraling panic meltdown instead. By the time I got home, we mutually agreed that someone else should be doing that job, and bless their heart for taking it when I left, because gently caress that place.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

chin up everything sucks posted:

I keep a twitch stream on basically all day while working. I pause it if I need to focus, watch it if I’m waiting for something to process, and half ignore it the rest of the time.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2004/04/08/me-too/

Time to post this great old story. Not even microsoft could escape an CC event horizon.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

incoherent posted:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2004/04/08/me-too/

Time to post this great old story. Not even microsoft could escape an CC event horizon.

Before work locked down DGs to restrict senders to groups with > 250 people in it, CC storms were a great way to pass the morning when they happened :munch:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

duffmensch posted:

Before work locked down DGs to restrict senders to groups with > 250 people in it, CC storms were a great way to pass the morning when they happened :munch:

I still have an archive file called THE FUNNIEST THING EVER.pst

It started as someone who did a Reply All to a benefits email about gym membership reimbursement that had been sent to the group All NA Employees. In a company with somewhere north of 20,000+ employees in NA alone. Of course it quickly spiraled out of control, with some people getting snippy with “Stop using ‘Reply All’”, some smartasses sending “I agree” and others with “unsubscribe”. There were also some genuinely funny responses, but it was mostly fear and confusion in a chain that approached almost 1000 emails in less than an hour.

Just before the messaging team stirred themselves and put a halt to it, a VP had an epic meltdown toward the end. It got to the point where he started threatening people with termination if they kept Replying All. (Which of course egged on responses of “I agree” and “no mercy”).

I think it took a month before an email came out thanking the EVP for his service and that he had decided to persue other opportunities.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Proteus Jones posted:

I still have an archive file called THE FUNNIEST THING EVER.pst

It started as someone who did a Reply All to a benefits email about gym membership reimbursement that had been sent to the group All NA Employees. In a company with somewhere north of 20,000+ employees in NA alone. Of course it quickly spiraled out of control, with some people getting snippy with “Stop using ‘Reply All’”, some smartasses sending “I agree” and others with “unsubscribe”. There were also some genuinely funny responses, but it was mostly fear and confusion in a chain that approached almost 1000 emails in less than an hour.

Just before the messaging team stirred themselves and put a halt to it, a VP had an epic meltdown toward the end. It got to the point where he started threatening people with termination if they kept Replying All. (Which of course egged on responses of “I agree” and “no mercy”).

I think it took a month before an email came out thanking the EVP for his service and that he had decided to persue other opportunities.

This mayhem wouldn't by chance have happened to a company whose home office is in Chicago, would it? My mom told me a story about a reply all fest with a VP melting down .

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nth Doctor posted:

This mayhem wouldn't by chance have happened to a company whose home office is in Chicago, would it? My mom told me a story about a reply all fest with a VP melting down .

Well, it was in a suburb of Chicago. Also, it was about 6 years ago IIRC. Right before the company ate itself and scattered it’s various divisions to the winds.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
https://ows2.usdoj.gov/
https://rockettest.nasa.gov/
https://d2l.lbl.gov/

Guess whose TLS certs are slowly expiring

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I had a reply-all chain happen from a recruiter email. Dude forgot to BCC people and instead CC'd them, and some smart rear end hit reply all and proceeded to poo poo all over the dude because of a mistake.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
There needs to be a checkbox for mail-enabled groups that's "BCC Only." That way HR doesn't have to remember to BCC when sending out those benefits emails to the whole company.

And neither do I when sending out the "we're very sorry for system outage X, we are aware of it and working on it, we will let you know as soon as we have an ETA on a recovery."

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

baquerd posted:

Indeed that's what I would have done; but to them, encryption is simply another barrier imposed by IT for the sole purpose of subverting customer relations. The client has to download a file and type in a password?! What's WinZip?!? They'll take their business elsewhere!!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I had it mentioned this evening that infrastructure is a cost centre unlike those SalesForce wizards who generate revenue.

Motherfuckers, you try generating all that revenue when you're back to using notepads, pencils and calculators because all the infrastructure has been thrown into cleansing fire by unappreciated engineers t:mad:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Weatherman posted:

I had it mentioned this evening that infrastructure is a cost centre unlike those SalesForce wizards who generate revenue.

Motherfuckers, you try generating all that revenue when you're back to using notepads, pencils and calculators because all the infrastructure has been thrown into cleansing fire by unappreciated engineers t:mad:

This belongs in the poo poo that pisses me off thread

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Weatherman posted:

Oh look, your infrastructure went down Monday morning, what a pity. WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW, FUCKERS?!

It'll be back up when you've all learned some goddamn respect by the end of the day.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh look, your infrastructure went down Monday morning, what a pity. WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW, FUCKERS?!

It'll be back up when you've all learned some goddamn respect by the end of the day.

I was watching a Stormwinds course, and at one point the instructor told a story about how in a previous job he was getting the "cost center" crap over necessary infrastructure. Then a cable "conveniently" became unplugged in the datacenter, bringing the site down for 15 minutes.
He got his funding.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Weatherman posted:

I used to get this when giving Finance the number of people we needed to run all our call centre and processing/email handling operations. Yeah, you know what, it costs a lot for this multinational company to deal with all these customer contacts. Unfortunately the product is, essentially, the advice we offer over the phone, so unless you want to change the entire business either pay for the people you need or sell less of the product so you need fewer people. Yes this is a cost centre but it is also your goddamned product.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

My friend, you drastically underestimate how overqualified I am for my job at present. That being said, I knew what I was getting into. I took this job to escape MSPs and to get my foot into an enterprise environment. There will be some positions opening later this year in exactly the kind of role I want, so this was basically to put myself in the spot to apply internally.
What role are you in now, and what role are trying to move into?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

ilkhan posted:

What role are you in now, and what role are trying to move into?

I am presently in charge of end user devices and SCCM management (not to be confused with administration because apparently I am not allowed to do anything to the server, just use SCCM). Think of me as a glorified help desk; work not entirely dissimilar to what you'd expect at an MSP minus all the actual infrastructure stuff. Oh and phones. I'm the Tier3 guy for phones. Fuckin hate phones man.

I am looking to position myself to move to the security team as they have appointed a new CISO (a first for this org, and is conveniently my current AVP) and he has stated wanting to expand the team to help deliver his vision for what security should do for us. The other leadership is on board with his plan, so now it's just a waiting game. Work hard now at thing I don't really have any interest in, in order to hopefully wind up exactly where I want to be later on.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Got a ticket to check the Barracuda outbound logs for an email from our Zendesk cloud instance... which doesn't go thru Barracuda.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I finally got bored of browsing SA/Reddit at work while waiting for tickets to come in and started PowerShell in a Month of Lunches. This rules. I’m being paid to develop skills that will help me get a better job.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So, hey. Our infoblox accepts and implements ddns requests, so if you have the "register in DNS" box checked when you're changing the name of your DRAC and you type the wrong name, you're gonna have a bad time.

Edit: I'm currently involved in a discussion about this and it's oh so much worse than it appears on the surface.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 11, 2019

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009

Weedle posted:

I finally got bored of browsing SA/Reddit at work while waiting for tickets to come in and started PowerShell in a Month of Lunches. This rules. I’m being paid to develop skills that will help me get a better job.

That book is the beez kneez. Read it a couple of years back and it let me go from "finding random PS scripts online and changing to do what i want them to" to "writing my own scripts from the ground up". Writing scripts and functions to automate stuff is far and away the most enjoyable part of my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Overheard from a co-worker to IT:

"I was trying to change my font to comic sans and I broke it."

I see now why you people drink.