Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well I for one wouldn't mind if more movies cut to out of context Kaiju battles when things start to get boring. Don't like aliens fighting humans? Just cut to king Cesar roundhouse kicking anguirus at Godzilla and then cheering like he scored a field goal.

Marvel comics kinda did this during an X-Men run. While the A-plot was going in the issue they would cut to single one page splash of The Phoenix fighting Galactus then go immediately back to the story.

They did this across a couple of issues, if I remember right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Yes, scary and serious, not cartoony please. Love it

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Waffleman_ posted:

I was just makin' a dumb joke, I like the movie.

Same, but I still stand by what I said.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
G14 would have been better if Jared Keeso's cameo hadn't been as the jumpmaster but as his character from Letterkenny. Small-town Ontarians versus Kaiju.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

G14 would have been better if Jared Keeso's cameo hadn't been as the jumpmaster but as his character from Letterkenny. Small-town Ontarians versus Kaiju.

lmao I would watch the hell out of this

"I was fighting a kaiju the other day..."

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

wdarkk posted:

The rocket is the real sfx star of the movie anyway.

That's the Moonlight SY-3 to you, mister!

Of whose commander had an amazing strategy: let the flaming flying saucer cook us to within an inch of our lives, then do loop-de-loops until it gets motion sickness and falls off, then we finish it off with a single missile strike

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 8, 2019

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Of whose commander had an amazing strategy: let the flaming flying saucer cook us to within an inch of our lives, then do loop-de-loops until it gets motion sickness and falls off, then we finish it off with a single missile strike

I was kind of surprised I couldn't find a current model kit of it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Binary Badger posted:

You can't argue with results.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/TohoKingdom/status/1082553110415851520

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That whole line is amazing. The box art was by a famous painter of kaiju and ultras and M1 got him to do a series for new releases of those tricycles (the originals were in the 60s-70s) and he passed away right after he completed the art. I really wish M1 would make prints, because I would buy a high quality giclee of the Matango trike box art.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I should have included the photo>

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
All the ones I can find are gorgeous camp art. I too would hang prints.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just finished watching the final Godzilla Earth movie on Netflix. It keeps the slow pace for sure, but I found it to be a satisfying ending even though the movies, like Godzilla in this series, is lumbering and clumsy. Better than the second film for sure but still not a must see or anything. Glad I watched it, but I doubt I'll ever see them again.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/wsepulved32/status/1083420443271462914

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I believe that’s the same Godzilla toy as last time

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dougherty retweeted it :shrug:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

I believe that’s the same Godzilla toy as last time

It's close enough that I think they just reworked the original mold, but there are some differences

Spines are the big thing, and I THINK the head was improved? Body and general pose looks the same though

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

FigureArts Ghidorah and Godzilla were up for preorder last night.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They probably changed the spine yeah. It’s a “new” figure but not by much. S’okay though. It’s a nice one and if you want a jumbo Zilla in your house, he’s a good one to have.

NECA will do an update I imagine, but I think I’ll pass. I’m totally fine with the 2014 version, unless they do an atomic blast one.

Speaking of, I got the Atomic Blast Shin Godzilla and he’s neat and very sticky for some reason .

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Ramen Pride! is there any markings on the bottom of that figure's feet at all? If so, please take a photo and I can tell you if it's a Japanese maker or not.

Nope! Just blank.

But I don't really care, this thing has so much walleyed personality it's hilarious.

I found one that looks really similar on AliExpress, but it doesn't have a chronic case of derpy pinkeye like mine. :)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Images for more King of the Monsters toys are out, and WARNING!! THERE ARE SPOILERS!!

http://news.toyark.com/2019/01/10/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-jakks-pacific-toys-revealed-via-new-toy-listings-spoilers-328985

DON'T CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!

Not a spoiler: most of these toys suuuuck.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 11, 2019

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Images for more King of the Monsters toys are out, and WARNING!! THERE ARE SPOILERS!!

http://news.toyark.com/2019/01/10/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-jakks-pacific-toys-revealed-via-new-toy-listings-spoilers-328985

DON'T CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!

Not a spoiler: most of these suuuuck.

Goddammit, this is killing me. Spoilers as in showing us what the other critters are? Revealing that another classic kaiju we hadn't heard about is in there? Arggggh.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Goddammit, this is killing me. Spoilers as in showing us what the other critters are? Revealing that another classic kaiju we hadn't heard about is in there? Arggggh.

no and no but it is a spoiler

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

They give away what seems to be a plot point.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

No other classic kaiju in the list there. Just the ones we know about, but some of the models hint at movie events that might be spoilers.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's gonna turn out Rodan is responsible for Pompeii

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They aren't really massive spoilers. It's not like SW Episode 1 - "Qui Gons Funeral" on the soundtrack before the movie came out. :lol:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, having looked it's not that much of a spoiler given it just confirms some of the vague scenes in the second trailer. Still if you want to go in blind don't check the link.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah those toys are butt. Still if I was an 8 year old they would probably rule. Nonetheless, I've pre-ordered the SH Figuarts Gidorah.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Arcsquad12 posted:

this but the dog is Godzilla

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

They probably changed the spine yeah. It’s a “new” figure but not by much. S’okay though. It’s a nice one and if you want a jumbo Zilla in your house, he’s a good one to have.

NECA will do an update I imagine, but I think I’ll pass. I’m totally fine with the 2014 version, unless they do an atomic blast one.

Speaking of, I got the Atomic Blast Shin Godzilla and he’s neat and very sticky for some reason .

Whoa! Sticky and swirly.

I started introducing the lady friend to Godzilla - went with '54, then Rodan and Mothra, and we'll hit Ghidorah this weekend. Mothra was her favorite out of the three, despite having a very strong reaction to the special effects. She was literally yelling "FAKE!" at the TV every time she saw a tank roll up. :v:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Is Mothra popular with women? I assume probably as popular as kaiju could be.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Is Mothra popular with women? I assume probably as popular as kaiju could be.

It certainly influenced some of Toho's decision making in the Heisei series:

Wikipedia for Godzilla vs Mothra posted:

After the success of Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, producer Shōgo Tomiyama and Godzilla series creator Tomoyuki Tanaka proposed resurrecting King Ghidorah in a film entitled Ghidorah's Counterattack, but relented when polls demonstrated that Mothra was more popular with women, who comprised the majority of Japan's population.

Goji's only begotten son Minilla was also created in an attempt to appeal to women, supposedly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Do you guys remember when Minilla was cool? Yeah, me neither.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Nroo posted:

It certainly influenced some of Toho's decision making in the Heisei series:

Goji's only begotten son Minilla was also created in an attempt to appeal to women, supposedly.

I wonder if Matpat could be talked into doing a Kailua popularity survey like he did for Smash characters.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Son of Godzilla was fine.

Shame about the rest.

Junior is cool though

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years.
-Revelation 20:2

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nroo posted:

He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years.
-Revelation 20:2

If King of the Monsters has Charles Dance reciting this verse, it will immediately become my favorite movie of all time.

Yes, it will top Ghostbusters.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I was ok with Minila in Final Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

wdarkk posted:

I was ok with Minila in Final Wars.

I liked him too. I don't object to a cute Kaiju in principal, I just thought he was super ugly in the Showa films.