Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

We also have to consider the possibility that Lampert may be stupid as hell. Just a real loving moron. Dumber than dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

We also have to consider the possibility that Lampert may be stupid as hell. Just a real loving moron. Dumber than dirt.
He's a Rand follower so devout he named his yacht after one of her books, so him being a huge loving idiot goes without saying.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
And the Scandinavian licensee of Toys R'us just went bankrupt, alongside some 200 stores running under a local brand.

The reasons? Pretty much the same as the American one, inability to adapt to a change in demand, a capital fund being idiots and the stores being kinda poo poo.

Now what? Well, the banks have taken over and will either liquidate or reorganize, depending on profitability.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

RagnarokZ posted:

And the Scandinavian licensee of Toys R'us just went bankrupt, alongside some 200 stores running under a local brand.

The reasons? Pretty much the same as the American one, inability to adapt to a change in demand, a capital fund being idiots and the stores being kinda poo poo.

Now what? Well, the banks have taken over and will either liquidate or reorganize, depending on profitability.

Yep. RIP the only Toys R Us in Iceland.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

poopinmymouth posted:

Yep. RIP the only Toys R Us in Iceland.

Gotta an old friend who works, well not anymore, for the local Toys R'us, gotta get in touch with him again, see if his store's gonna survive.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

RagnarokZ posted:

Yep, RIP all toy retail stores in Finland, all of the rest went at the same time with BR Toys and TRU. And the by margin-% and volume the largest local retail chain of toys and board games went under two years ago. Now the Amazon.de is all we have.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Sears might be dead for real unless Lampert can shove even more money at it. :rip:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

'Nother scorcher!"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Toys R Us left living only in Japan is cool and I hope that is what happens.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The owners of Toys r us’s Asian franchise actually own the entire brand now, I think, and are planning to expand it further in Asia.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

The owners of Toys r us’s Asian franchise actually own the entire brand now, I think, and are planning to expand it further in Asia.

Didn't something like this happen to 7-11?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Der Kyhe posted:

Yep, RIP all toy retail stores in Finland, all of the rest went at the same time with BR Toys and TRU. And the by margin-% and volume the largest local retail chain of toys and board games went under two years ago. Now the Amazon.de is all we have.

Well, Lautapelit.fi is still in the game but to be frank I don't think I have seen an actual toy store that wasn't BR Toys, TRU or some really small "handmade dolls etc" kind of place for years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CNBC is reporting that Lampert’s bid failed and the company will announce liquidation this morning

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FlamingLiberal posted:

CNBC is reporting that Lampert’s bid failed and the company will announce liquidation this morning
:woop: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS :woop:

Maybe minneapolis can finally get our loving road back before I die!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think you mean Sears Holdings Lane, the new super consumer-friendly toll road! Download the app!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean, 68,000 people are going to lose their jobs....

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rick posted:

Toys R Us left living only in Japan is cool and I hope that is what happens.

Toys R Us is still hanging around in Canada. I was wondering about that so I googled it and they’re Canadian owned and separate from the US side of things.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

The Black Stones posted:

Toys R Us is still hanging around in Canada. I was wondering about that so I googled it and they’re Canadian owned and separate from the US side of things.

in fact, IIRC they actually loaned the US one billions of dollars at one point.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Someone is finally putting Sears out of their misery. It sucks for the workers, but at least the job market is good. This would have hurt more if it happened in 2009.

Vegetable posted:

So Toys R Us is the Kenny Rogers Roasters of the toy business in Asia. Gone from America, but thriving in the Far East.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Just like traditional Japanese Mister Donut.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

It sucks for the workers, but at least the job market is good.

ahhaahahahahahah no it's not.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

at least the job market is good

hahahahahahahahahaha

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lackmaster posted:

hahahahahahahahahaha

Having no job in 3.9% unemployment market is infinitely better than losing your job with 9% unemployment.

If you’re still getting a Sears paycheck in 2019 then you take whatever positive news you can get.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Krispy Wafer posted:

This would have hurt more if it happened in 2009.

This was Eddie's plan all along. He was sacrificing his money to save the workers and give them a better chance in the future.

Eddie knows all. He is the working man's savior.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Now there is reporting that a deal may have been reached at the last minute to stop a liquidation

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Now there is reporting that a deal may have been reached at the last minute to stop a liquidation

CNN - Sears reaches 11th hour deal to stay in business

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLcaWJtq3DU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
People's jobs notwithstanding why would you even want to keep Sears open at this point

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

People's jobs notwithstanding why would you even want to keep Sears open at this point
In liquidation, the creditors are only going to get a certain amount back of what they are owed. So at least in theory they should want Sears to continue operating.

I did think they would not make it to holiday season of last year but somehow they continue to struggle along.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

He has less than one day to come up with $120 million in liquid cash. That's a tall order even for a billionaire.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A revised bid was submitted before the deadline so Sears will live on for now

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The back and forth of this saga reminds me of a certain political and media circus back in 2005, although that involved a human and not a large retail chain.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Don Gato posted:

Didn't something like this happen to 7-11?

Potentially, depending on how successful it is when they bring the chain back to the US. But yeah basically some mismanagement drove a previously successful 7-11 business off a cliff and the Japanese wing scooped it up in bankruptcy and now runs the whole thing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Remember when being open from 7 to 11 meant you were unique.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Remember when being open from 7 to 11 meant you were unique.

7 hours a day, 11 days a week

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So Petco bought Foster and Smith a year or two ago, and now surprise surprise, they're closing it down.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The back and forth of this saga reminds me of a certain political and media circus back in 2005, although that involved a human and not a large retail chain.

The difference is that Eddie Lampart is the one paying for his religious hubris, not the rest of us.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
What do you mean "back", there's still 7/11 here

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ElwoodCuse posted:

What do you mean "back", there's still 7/11 here

It's very regional. We have no 7-11's anywhere near where I live so it's always novel seeing one.

But yeah, they're still around. From what I remember corporate pissed off a lot of franchises and ran everything terribly, but they didn't go out of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
there are a ton of 7-11s on the west coast of florida, though when I moved to central florida there is not a single one within a 50-100 mile radius