Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kumba posted:

there are a ton of 7-11s on the west coast of florida, though when I moved to central florida there is not a single one within a 50-100 mile radius

There’s a million of them here in California. I went to Chicago a few months ago and they are opening like 3(?) new ones around Wriggly field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MarcusSA posted:

Wriggly field.

I'm giggling my tits off at this, help

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I see a ton of 7-11s in most decent size cities that I visit but they don't seem to have much of a presence in suburban/rural areas.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Straight White Shark posted:

I see a ton of 7-11s in most decent size cities that I visit but they don't seem to have much of a presence in suburban/rural areas.

I have not lived in a city with a 7-11 since 2003, I miss slurpees.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
They're really big in Arizona, the convenience store in general is thriving. I think they tend to target places that don't really have the Bodega-style store culture, which means instead of the bodega on every block, there's a Circle K/7-11/QT/Quik Mart (locally-owned dying Tucson chain) instead.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The hell? There are tons of 7-11s in LA.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Can confirm that 7-11 is present all over Oregon, even in a lot of smaller to medium size towns (smallest I've seen was like 9k that still had one). They're even threatening to buy out our local convenience store chain here in Portland though it's pretty unlikely that'll happen.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm giggling my tits off at this, help

LOL

:same:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

7/11 is still all the rage in Calgary, I have 2 within a 10 minute walk of my house.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

kumba posted:

there are a ton of 7-11s on the west coast of florida, though when I moved to central florida there is not a single one within a 50-100 mile radius
I live just north of Orlando and there are two within five minutes of my house. They are around.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I live just north of Orlando and there are two within five minutes of my house. They are around.

I'm in Gainesville, I think your stores are the closest ones to me

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rick posted:

They're really big in Arizona, the convenience store in general is thriving. I think they tend to target places that don't really have the Bodega-style store culture, which means instead of the bodega on every block, there's a Circle K/7-11/QT/Quik Mart (locally-owned dying Tucson chain) instead.

I can think of maybe three 7/11s in Phoenix. QT is the big one these days. They're popping up everywhere. I'd say it's our equivalent of Wawa. (If Wawa is anything like I've imagined.)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can think of maybe three 7/11s in Phoenix. QT is the big one these days. They're popping up everywhere. I'd say it's our equivalent of Wawa. (If Wawa is anything like I've imagined.)

The magic of QT is they never seem to choose a bad location. Which might be why you know where they are and not the 7-11s even though there are roughly similar numbers. It took a lot longer for QT to break into the rest of Arizona and 7-11 is way more entrenched on the edges of Phoenix and in the Tucson area, mostly franchise locations rather than corporate locations.

And of course Circle K is just loving everywhere.

gently caress I know way too much about convenience stores.

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
I only ever knew Circle K from Bill & Ted, but they've been popping up all over here in Canada the past couple years.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

The magic of QT is they never seem to choose a bad location. Which might be why you know where they are and not the 7-11s even though there are roughly similar numbers. It took a lot longer for QT to break into the rest of Arizona and 7-11 is way more entrenched on the edges of Phoenix and in the Tucson area, mostly franchise locations rather than corporate locations.

And of course Circle K is just loving everywhere.

gently caress I know way too much about convenience stores.

Prior to QT's here in Atlanta you'd have gas stations crammed into whatever lot large enough to have 4 pumps and a cashier stand. For whatever reason no one ever thought of making a 'big' gas station. I recall pulling into my first QT and marveling at how flat the lot was and how many bays were open and how expansive the convenience store was.

The closest I had seen to a QT were truck stop gas stations. Now it's old hat, but back in the 90's it was something else to have that down the street from your house.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Circle K in Arizona is if that joke about Starbucks on every corner was made even more true and then you doubled that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's very regional. We have no 7-11's anywhere near where I live so it's always novel seeing one.

But yeah, they're still around. From what I remember corporate pissed off a lot of franchises and ran everything terribly, but they didn't go out of business.

The only 7-11 I encountered was where I went to college. It was a franchise owned by some Indian dudes. My understanding of it is that corporate did some really baffling poo poo that ended up forcing them to lose their franchise.

So the dudes just closed it then reopened shortly after as a totally independent little store that's actually better.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

So Petco bought Foster and Smith a year or two ago, and now surprise surprise, they're closing it down.

are you making GBS threads me

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

Prior to QT's here in Atlanta you'd have gas stations crammed into whatever lot large enough to have 4 pumps and a cashier stand. For whatever reason no one ever thought of making a 'big' gas station. I recall pulling into my first QT and marveling at how flat the lot was and how many bays were open and how expansive the convenience store was.

The closest I had seen to a QT were truck stop gas stations. Now it's old hat, but back in the 90's it was something else to have that down the street from your house.

BP and Shell started putting in the big stations at that time, too. But maybe they concentrated on the suburbs more? But to make it more retail death relevant, one of those giant gas stations closed down near me about five years ago. Then it was a car wash, then a different gas station for a bit, then there was a fire and it sat empty for years. Now it's a New Balance store. Big corner lot on a busy intersection with nothing next to it. Seems like a weird place for a retail outlet.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Can confirm the Circle K being on every corner. It's usually a transitionary thing, where they'll buy the gas station across the street and close the lesser performing one after a year or two.

I'm pretty sure I've been to the Circle K that was featured in Bill and Ted.

And yeah, the 7-11s here that I can think of are in terrible locations. There's one close to Greenway and the 17 that I swear has been abandoned for years that somehow clings on.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

The Snoo posted:

are you making GBS threads me

http://www.petproductnews.com/News/Petco-to-Close-Drs-Foster-and-Smith/

Petco is entirely owned by people who hate animals and being good to them.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Yeah, ensuring people's pets die sooner means they have to replace them more often, or sick pets with no help sell more medicines in stores which means bigger profits. I don't want to sound all Big Pet Pharma here but that felt like Petland's secret policy when I was a fish and reptile manager. I tried to stop ordering in goldfish bowls because they're cruel and lead to grissly premature death from toxic living conditions but see, they make way too much profit so I was forced to keep them stocked. Same with betta bowls. They also charged $1200 for crossbreed dogs they get from "private breeders" which were basically just puppy mills for mutts. I'll never shop at a Petland again after what I experienced working there.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

fizzymercy posted:

http://www.petproductnews.com/News/Petco-to-Close-Drs-Foster-and-Smith/

Petco is entirely owned by people who hate animals and being good to them.

this makes me so angry and sad

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Yeah, ensuring people's pets die sooner means they have to replace them more often, or sick pets with no help sell more medicines in stores which means bigger profits. I don't want to sound all Big Pet Pharma here but that felt like Petland's secret policy when I was a fish and reptile manager. I tried to stop ordering in goldfish bowls because they're cruel and lead to grissly premature death from toxic living conditions but see, they make way too much profit so I was forced to keep them stocked. Same with betta bowls. They also charged $1200 for crossbreed dogs they get from "private breeders" which were basically just puppy mills for mutts. I'll never shop at a Petland again after what I experienced working there.

Pretty sure you're absolutely right. I worked at Petco as a float and every time I had to work the small rodents or birds I would remember why I had to quit. Goddamn the trauma I got from that job. :stonk: All the big pet store chains are actively malevolent on purpose. It's good for business.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I saw that California instituted a ban on pet stores/private breeders that went into effect on January 1st

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
For anyone talking about 7-11, they’re around, and they are in controversy for using ICE against their own franchisees.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-11-09/7-eleven-is-at-war-with-its-own-franchisees-over-ice-raids

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
7-11 is THEE convenience store in Thailand, they are loving everywhere. I can only assume they are in other parts of Southeast Asia.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

T Bowl posted:

7-11 is THEE convenience store in Thailand, they are loving everywhere. I can only assume they are in other parts of Southeast Asia.

There's a youtuber I like to watch who tries out different 7-11s in Asia and I am so loving jealous of what they offer.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

When i moved to Michigan it was the first place i saw 7-11s without gas stations attached to them

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

There's a youtuber I like to watch who tries out different 7-11s in Asia and I am so loving jealous of what they offer.

Link?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Here's the first one he did in Taiwan, he's done a couple in Japan too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP6aYDssDSE

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

kumba posted:

They are all over Orlando but have been surpassed by a massive explosion of Wawas. Not that this is a bad thing.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Goddamnit I used to buy bulk hay and supplements from them. That sucks SO much rear end. I have no idea where to buy from now!

Don’t say Amazon. I bought treats from them one time and they were clearly counterfeit. Who the gently caress makes counterfeit rabbit treats?!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Bean posted:

Goddamnit I used to buy bulk hay and supplements from them. That sucks SO much rear end. I have no idea where to buy from now!

Don’t say Amazon. I bought treats from them one time and they were clearly counterfeit. Who the gently caress makes counterfeit rabbit treats?!

Tractor supply?

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

They are all over Orlando but have been surpassed by a massive explosion of Wawas. Not that this is a bad thing.

Wawa in Orlando!? I seriously thought that was just a PA-NJ-DE thing.

There are some 7-11s in the Philly metro but few and far between since Wawa is king here.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

letthereberock posted:

They’ve started popping up all over Florida. At least three or four all opened up last year in Broward County, all taking over what had been vacant lots for a decade or more. Same with Cumberland Farms.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

letthereberock posted:

There are some 7-11s in the Philly metro but few and far between since Wawa is king here.

Dick wood, the last family CEO, retired to Florida, so they started expanding there.

It’s in the middle of this pretty awesome article about WaWa. Man do I miss having WaWa.

https://www.inc.com/magazine/201806/maria-aspan/wawa-convenience-store-pennsylvania.html

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

fartknocker posted:

They’ve started popping up all over Florida. At least three or four all opened up last year in Broward County, all taking over what had been vacant lots for a decade or more. Same with Cumberland Farms.

Tampa has a bunch now as well

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

letthereberock posted:

We have tons of Wawa in Virginia as well, but only in the eastern part. Western is Sheetz territory. There's a magical intersection marking the divide just outside of Richmond, with a Wawa on one corner and a Sheetz on the other. I like to imagine the employees just standing outside, arms folded, glaring at each other like North and South Korea.

Both sides have 7-11, some with gas stations and some without. I truly live in the land of convenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
All we have in Minneapolis are Holiday stations and independent BPs.

I keep forgetting that Minnesota is this weird bizzaro brand world, where we have the same stuff as everyone else, but different.