Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There was absolutely nothing wrong with Leto joker on screen. It was a completely normal portrayal of the character as a gangster. The only problem with it were obnoxious promo images and marketing trying to make it sound like Leto was just uncontrollable and crazy and cool and extreme behind the scenes and an extremely important part of the movie when it's a very minor role. But that poo poo isn't in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

There was absolutely nothing wrong with Leto joker on screen. It was a completely normal portrayal of the character as a gangster. The only problem with it were obnoxious promo images and marketing trying to make it sound like Leto was just uncontrollable and crazy and cool and extreme behind the scenes and an extremely important part of the movie when it's a very minor role. But that poo poo isn't in the movie.

I wonder if part of that was trying to live up to the stories around Ledger doing crazy poo poo to get into the right headspace to play the Joker in The Dark Knight.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

McCloud posted:

https://twitter.com/Theos_Unfeeling/status/1083487131606155264?s=19

The shirt seems to have plenty of hints about the directions he was gonna take JL and JL 2 in

drat, we missed out on Batman mpreg and the drama if the Flash or Cyborg is the other father

Snyder release the Junior cut

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 11, 2019

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

What is this, some sort of suicide prevention squad?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zack Snyders daughter took her life just before Justice League finished production. So I assume that is what the t-shirt is for. I think he decided to retire from making comic book movies as a result?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I wonder if part of that was trying to live up to the stories around Ledger doing crazy poo poo to get into the right headspace to play the Joker in The Dark Knight.

It almost certainly was, which is what makes it funny.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Didn't Will Smith or someone even later say all the anecdotes about how CRRAAAAZZZZY AND WEIRD he was on set was marketing bullshit too?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Neo Rasa posted:

Didn't Will Smith or someone even later say all the anecdotes about how CRRAAAAZZZZY AND WEIRD he was on set was marketing bullshit too?

Yes, and so did Margot Robbie (https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...t-a7133926.html)

The entire thing was "people don't like the direction they're taking the character so they glom on to any negative thing and blow it out of proportion" Internet weirdness, which actually isn't that weird (it happens a lot)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I got more of the impression that Leto was just being an rear end in a top hat to his coworkers and ramdom people on set, but I guess that counts as being crazy and wild in some eyes.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/MCU_Tweets/status/1083406604178022403

Seriously?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's some how even more obnoxious than I thought

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The Oscars are an ABC joint, so it would make sense. It's like how the Golden Globes nominate a bunch of NBC shows.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

This is true.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

"Reportedly" is doing a lot of work here

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

But most of them died?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just remind myself that the Oscars are a self masturbationfest with no credibility because it's literally Hollywood giving itself awards.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This reminds me of just how misleading the trailers for Suicide Squad were in general. So much of what was in those trailers did not actually make it into the movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

But most of them died?

Oh man, I can't wait for the Avengers themed Oscars "In Memoriam" segment, brought to you by Walt Disney Studio's Marvel Studio's Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Oh man, I can't wait for the Avengers themed Oscars "In Memoriam" segment, brought to you by Walt Disney Studio's Marvel Studio's Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4

It’s just every Stan Lee cameo

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Just make RDJ the host. I'll take it every day over Kevin Hart.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

pospysyl posted:

The Oscars are an ABC joint, so it would make sense. It's like how the Golden Globes nominate a bunch of NBC shows.

Then why don't they just paint Will Smith blue and have him host in character as Genie?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

After they show each picture they do the "turn to dust" effect from IW

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Tom Gorman posted:

Just make RDJ the host. I'll take it every day over Kevin Hart.

Reminder during the promotions for Avengers 2 he said this of a mexican director:

“I think for a man whose native tongue is Spanish to be able to put together a phrase like ‘cultural genocide’ just speaks to how bright he is.”

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1083759782098583553

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

McCloud posted:

Reminder during the promotions for Avengers 2 he said this of a mexican director:

“I think for a man whose native tongue is Spanish to be able to put together a phrase like ‘cultural genocide’ just speaks to how bright he is.”

Reminder that RDJ, whose father is one of the fundamental people in 60s/70s independent cinema and made Putney Swope, and who got back into the game off the back of things like A Scanner Darkly and The Singing Detective and whose best friends in the world (Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster) make independent movies, thinks independent film is masturbatory and he won’t appear in any.

He then went and made The Judge.

gently caress Robert Downey Jr., 21 Jump Street was right when the mom screamed that she partied with him when he was hosed up and fun

I still can’t figure out how he went to prison and came out a Republican, it makes no loving sense whatsoever

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Cameo posted:

I still can’t figure out how he went to prison and came out a Republican, it makes no loving sense whatsoever

I guarantee he 1) wasn't treated nearly as bad in prison as the average prisoner anyway and 2) probably genuinely believes that he deserved to be in prison and that his success is his reward for cleaning up his life, and just flat out doesn't acknowledge that 99% of other people who go through the criminal justice system don't just get the chances he did

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
HBO's Watchmen has tapped Hong Chau to play a vietnamese character just known as "Lady T"

https://deadline.com/2019/01/watchmen-hong-chau-cast-hbo-series-lady-t-1202533904/

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Renoistic posted:

Good thing I didn't mention BP then. Nice job putting words in my mouth though!

It's a pretty perfect example of performative wokeness. It's also discussed because there's nothing positive in its messaging.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Can someone give me the tl;dr of what this is?

edit: Thanks bud! vv

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 12, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

A Congresswoman quoted Rorschach from Watchmen. That's it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grendels Dad posted:

But most of them died?

Brolin simply throws half the awards into the trash and leaves

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

edit: Thanks bud! vv

You're not american, I take it? AOC is very famous in the states right now

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

McCloud posted:

You're not american, I take it? AOC is very famous in the states right now

I stopped giving a gently caress about all that stuff a couple months ago. Now I choose blissful ignorance.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

An interview with Sterling K. Brown dropped today where he says that nobody told him what accent to do in Black Panther, which is pretty lol. Seems like a bit of a worldbuilding oversight, especially considering Wonder Woman made the effort of having the Amazons uniformly speak with Gal Gadot’s natural accent to create a consistency in the Amazonian culture.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Now I choose blissful ignorance.

Shameful

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Fart City posted:

An interview with Sterling K. Brown dropped today where he says that nobody told him what accent to do in Black Panther, which is pretty lol. Seems like a bit of a worldbuilding oversight, especially considering Wonder Woman made the effort of having the Amazons uniformly speak with Gal Gadot’s natural accent to create a consistency in the Amazonian culture.

To be fair, articles about it have kind of buried it but he did eventually learn and use the "Wakandan" accent; it's just that no one thought to tell him until he'd rocked up on set with another accent already prepared.

Melusine fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 14, 2019

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I still think Wakanda was the weakest element of Black Panther, and you'd have had a much better film with a lot less baggage if it had stuck with the 'Superpowered African James Bond' motif that it seemed to be establishing in the Korean scenes.
Instead the whole plot hinges on the dumbass internal politics of this poorly established place.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It doesn’t really help that they don’t really take advantages of the location anyway. You get one brief scene in the city itself, which is really cool and interesting to look at, but the majority of the finale (and time spent there in Infinity War) takes place in a nondescript field. It kind or reminds me about the story of how Guillermo Del Toro included all of these minute details in Hellboy, like little dried frogs in Rasputin’s robo-glove, in order to make the world feel more lived-in, even if a lot of attention wasn’t given to them. But the difference is that stuff was actually utilized to it’s fullest in that case. You can tell a lot of artistic energy went into Wakanda, but so little of it is presented up on the screen. I mean, it’s like, lab, field, Tron mine.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fart City posted:

It doesn’t really help that they don’t really take advantages of the location anyway. You get one brief scene in the city itself, which is really cool and interesting to look at, but the majority of the finale (and time spent there in Infinity War) takes place in a nondescript field. It kind or reminds me about the story of how Guillermo Del Toro included all of these minute details in Hellboy, like little dried frogs in Rasputin’s robo-glove, in order to make the world feel more lived-in, even if a lot of attention wasn’t given to them. But the difference is that stuff was actually utilized to it’s fullest in that case. You can tell a lot of artistic energy went into Wakanda, but so little of it is presented up on the screen. I mean, it’s like, lab, field, Tron mine.

Yeah, for a movie who's designers clearly did a shitload of work, very little of that work is used to tell us anything about Wakanda aside from 'in Africa, has cool poo poo, has a dumb way of determining who's in charge'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
There's a lot of design in Black Panther, but it isn't good design. The mountain clan's whole aesthetic especially looks like poo poo, like a hypermodern Scandinavian ski lodge.