Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I have a Unifi AC Pro with a centrally located ceiling mount and it not only provides a solid signal anywhere in the house (1300sqft, 1 floor, wooden frame/drywall), but it covers most of the 1 acre yard as well.

Regarding the LR APs, I found a good purpose for them when I was in a rental with a garage-attached room 50' away from the router with two brick walls in between. None of the USB/PCIe adapters I tried could get a reliable signal, but two LR APs (the pre-AC models) worked fairly well and with the far side in Wireless Uplink mode and a switch I could just use Ethernet ports like I wanted to anyway.

It could be the case that non-LR would have worked as well, but given the conditions I figured the $30 extra at the time made sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Is there any difference in terms of latency for gaming between routers? Is latency related to range/signal strength? I am a total dummy when it comes to networking.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Walked posted:

Is the Edgerouter 4 the best replacement on the market for gigabit? Dont need anything super fancy; just a performant gigabit router where I have control over routing/firewall rules and not much else really.

ER-X is solid and a lot cheaper, though less powerful than ER4. Check and see if it would meet your needs.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

space marine todd posted:

Is there any difference in terms of latency for gaming between routers? Is latency related to range/signal strength? I am a total dummy when it comes to networking.

Wifi in general isn't good for gaming, but I suspect that interference due to obstacles, neighbors with wifi being on the same bands, or electrical devices like microwaves will be worse than the difference between router brands.

Remember the snakey boi wins.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Rexxed posted:

Wifi in general isn't good for gaming, but I suspect that interference due to obstacles, neighbors with wifi being on the same bands, or electrical devices like microwaves will be worse than the difference between router brands.

Remember the snakey boi wins.

Yeah, that makes total sense. What's frustrating is that my computer is literally 10 feet away, but the router and cable modem are across a hallway that I would need a 50 foot cable to snake around and above doors. I guess I should just stop being lazy!

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Well, everything went pretty quick with the setup. Worst part was wrangling cage nuts in and out of my already fairly full rack - the tabs on the USG were just deep enough I couldn't really use my existing fasteners, and had to swap the cage nuts to match the thread of the longer fasteners that came with the USG. Forgot what a pain those things are when you have two next to each other. My rack is kind of a mess right now - but once I get new switches I will reorganize everything, make new cables, and make it up neatly again.

Anyways, the setup was pretty painless overall - it took just as long to setup everything and flash the firmware as it did to go through and identify and name all my clients. I don't think the single AC-PRO is going to be sufficient - I can't reliably get either of the cars on the wifi, and the 5G signal is getting weak enough the other end of the house that my Pixel 2 gets a pretty miserable signal. The AP also isn't in the ceiling (just sitting on the top of the 12U rack on the ground), so it definitely isn't installed in an optimal way. Might pick up two more APs to help fill things out. Definitely need to get some unifi switches in here now - gotta fill out that topology map!

Only negative experience so far is that since the switch-over, my chromecast (wired) seems to have a slight delay on the video compared to the audio (~5-8 ms). Its solvable enough with the built in audio delay adjustment in google home, but it is a little odd overall. May just be a coincidence - we'll see if it resolves itself eventually - might be a hulu problem or something. Can't imagine what in the gateway would be causing that issue, although I'm not smart enough with how streaming data is packetized to know if that is an expected outcome of DPI or not.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 4, 2019

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

space marine todd posted:

Yeah, that makes total sense. What's frustrating is that my computer is literally 10 feet away, but the router and cable modem are across a hallway that I would need a 50 foot cable to snake around and above doors. I guess I should just stop being lazy!

They've got some flat patch cables now. Despite appearances they have some crosstalk mitigation in them and aren't just straight across cables, although I wouldn't trust them for more than 100ft or so. Here's a 50ft one that comes with some tack nail style clip thingies if you can get away with making some small holes, if that helps at all:
https://smile.amazon.com/Cat-Ethernet-Cable-White-Connectors/dp/B00WD017GQ/

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Rexxed posted:

They've got some flat patch cables now. Despite appearances they have some crosstalk mitigation in them and aren't just straight across cables, although I wouldn't trust them for more than 100ft or so. Here's a 50ft one that comes with some tack nail style clip thingies if you can get away with making some small holes, if that helps at all:
https://smile.amazon.com/Cat-Ethernet-Cable-White-Connectors/dp/B00WD017GQ/

Thanks! That's super helpful.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I really like the super thin ”SlimRun” cable Cat6 from Monoprice: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13538

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

ROJO posted:

I don't think the single AC-PRO is going to be sufficient - I can't reliably get either of the cars on the wifi, and the 5G signal is getting weak enough the other end of the house that my Pixel 2 gets a pretty miserable signal. The AP also isn't in the ceiling (just sitting on the top of the 12U rack on the ground), so it definitely isn't installed in an optimal way. Might pick up two more APs to help fill things out. Definitely need to get some unifi switches in here now - gotta fill out that topology map!

I'm in a similar situation. I'm in a reasonably-sized flat, but it's still a flat. My AP AC-PRO that is connected directly to my LAN is mounted on the wall, sideways, rather than the ceiling. I have my network cabinet at the rear of my living room and you'd never know that there was a small home server and a load of networking gear in there. I wanted my living room to look as minimalistic with tech as possible. So I have the AC PRO, mounted at knee-height, just peeking out from the side of where my network cabinet meets the corner wall. It's also behind the curtain, so you can just see then blue, glowing ring behind the black curtain if you study carefully.

Anyway, because I knew that this wasn't an ideal position I have a second AP AC-PRO in the hallway, ceiling mounted and it just has line-of-sight with the AC-PRO that's wired directly to my UniFI swich and pfSense box which are hidden away in the Ikea cabinet.

Result: a flat that doesn't look overloaded with tech but has absolutely bangin' WiFi right over to the other side of the street. I've turned my AP's to medium power settings to avoid drowning about my neighbour's Wifi and use a randomly generated 36 character password on the WiFi.

I plan to move into a proper house later this year and, apart from maybe buying another UniFi POE switch, this equipment will serve a much bigger home.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So I'm trying to drastically simply most parts of my home, and next on the chopping block is my networking gear -

I currently have a bunch of Ubiquiti garbage (USG, Unifi POE switch, two APs, and a Raspberry Pi running the Unifi software), and I've been extremely pleased with it. I try to keep the stuff mostly tucked away, though, and that is becoming a challenge. So I've been thinking about just switching to the current Wirecutter-recommended router, the Netgear Nighthawk 7000P. Seems pretty solid, but I've grown spoiled by the performance of my Ubiquiti stuff - will I notice much of a decrease in performance/reliability with modern consumer-grade hardware? The idea of dropping from four devices (I have a small apartment and realistically only need 1 AP) to one is attractive, but not at the cost of performance.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Sell one of your APs and your Pi and just install the controller software on your laptop/desktop. It doesn't need to be running all of the time.

It's easier to hide the unifi stuff than an all-in-one AP with large antennas sticking out, and it's free.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm really confused as to why you'd do that.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah as I was typing all of that out it was sounding like a worse and worse idea. I just tend to end up with an irresistible urge to tinker when I have things available to tinker with, and the Ubiquiti gear has been a black hole for that.

the tl;dr is that the problem is me!

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Is there anyway to test if your router is the one making GBS threads or the isp? I upgraded my internet and the first day I was seeing super huge speeds and now for the last few days it’s super super low.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
A few pages back someone linked to software which precisely logs traffic speed and dropped packets so you can prove to your isp

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

It's time to upgrade my current setup which is an Asus n55u all in one router thingo. It's not really doing it for me in my new split level house.

So is an edgerouter still the recommendation?

Does it has a fairly decent firewall that is quite configurable? Or should I look for a more discrete option?

I use a pihole on a raspberry pi on my network for whole of network filtering of ads and for parental control. I've also just bought nordvpn.

So I'm looking for a setup that allows me to cover the whole network via nordvpn, except to separate out some key devices that'll run slow / not work through a vpn (Chromecast, Xbox, etc).

I'm also wanting to setup one or two vlans a bit later to separate out my IOT / home automation gear as I progress that.

I've seen recommendations for pfsense as a way of separating out certain devices from the vpn and a managed switch or capable router for the vlan.

Is the edgerouter capable of managing all of that? (Separating traffic by device & vlan)?

Or should I have a router and a separate more feature packed firewall (pfsense)?

I was thinking of using the pi as a firewall but I'm concerned it wouldn't cope with the throughput. As a pihole all its doing is handling DNS requests which shouldn't be a bottle neck at that level, but anything more may effectively throttle my network.

Oh I guess the final piece of the puzzle is I'd throw up some ubiquiti APs on each level and call it a day and i could repurpose another pi to run as a controller. I'd phase them in later though and use the n55u and another old dlink router I have just as APs until I can upgrade them.

Most of the house is wired up, the wireless is just for phones, tablets, Chromecasts and currently the Xbox.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 6, 2019

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I might be in the market for some powerline adapters. As I understand, their usability will depend on the quirks of the house wiring, so it's a bit of a crapshoot. But assuming they work, would the "reliability" (for lack of a more specific term) be comparable to traditional ethernet wiring?

Like if I were to run a speed test on a laptop connected to the router, and the same laptop connected to the powerline adapter, would comparable speed indicate comparable performance? Or would there be other factors to consider?

Asking because my brother-in-law will be moving upstairs for a bit and he's willing to pay for his own ISP. He does plan to do online gaming/streaming, so a stable connection is important. But in the event that our house wins the Old Wiring Lottery and gets good performance over powerline, I figure I might as well just run that upstairs and save him some bucks. But if it's gonna like stall out whenever someone runs the microwave downstairs I won't bother.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Minidust posted:

I might be in the market for some powerline adapters. As I understand, their usability will depend on the quirks of the house wiring, so it's a bit of a crapshoot. But assuming they work, would the "reliability" (for lack of a more specific term) be comparable to traditional ethernet wiring?

Like if I were to run a speed test on a laptop connected to the router, and the same laptop connected to the powerline adapter, would comparable speed indicate comparable performance? Or would there be other factors to consider?

Asking because my brother-in-law will be moving upstairs for a bit and he's willing to pay for his own ISP. He does plan to do online gaming/streaming, so a stable connection is important. But in the event that our house wins the Old Wiring Lottery and gets good performance over powerline, I figure I might as well just run that upstairs and save him some bucks. But if it's gonna like stall out whenever someone runs the microwave downstairs I won't bother.

Generally they have similar latency but lower bandwidth than traditional ethernet. That said, most folks have internet connections that are a lot less than the gigabit ethernet in their house (I know there's been more gigabit rollouts for many ISPs since google fiber showed up but it's still in very limited areas) so that doesn't really matter. If powerline networking works for your house wiring it'll be preferable to wifi for both latency and bandwidth and will be the better solution for gaming, and a set of adapters will cost a month or two of ISP subscription costs.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I use the tplink gigabit Ethernet powerline adapters, beware the basic one only has 1 port and doesn’t advertise as gigabit Ethernet.

I also have fiber to the home and for all purposes the file download speeds and latency for low user household “feels” good enough.

But my dream is to run wire everywhere and hang an AP on my ceiling

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Minidust posted:

I used some Phicomm adapters from 2012 in a couple different houses that were around 20 years old, and tried them unsuccessfully for a longer run in a 50 year old house. In all three cases I found that a connection from one outlet to another on the same circuit will get you near the advertised performance; however, a connection between outlets on two different circuits will get substantially less or will not work depending on how good the wiring is and how far apart the adapters are. You may also get different results by changing either end to another outlet, even on the same circuit. In the two cases that did work cross-circuit, I got around 20-30Mbps fairly reliably from adapters which were rated at 500Mbps. While that's not really an exciting result, it was adequate to stream TV shows.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 8, 2019

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Rexxed posted:

Generally they have similar latency but lower bandwidth than traditional ethernet. That said, most folks have internet connections that are a lot less than the gigabit ethernet in their house (I know there's been more gigabit rollouts for many ISPs since google fiber showed up but it's still in very limited areas) so that doesn't really matter. If powerline networking works for your house wiring it'll be preferable to wifi for both latency and bandwidth and will be the better solution for gaming, and a set of adapters will cost a month or two of ISP subscription costs.

caberham posted:

I use the tplink gigabit Ethernet powerline adapters, beware the basic one only has 1 port and doesn’t advertise as gigabit Ethernet.

I also have fiber to the home and for all purposes the file download speeds and latency for low user household “feels” good enough.

But my dream is to run wire everywhere and hang an AP on my ceiling

Eletriarnation posted:

I used some Phicomm adapters from 2012 in a couple different houses that were around 20 years old, and tried them unsuccessfully for a longer run in a 50 year old house. In all three cases I found that a connection from one outlet to another on the same circuit will get you near the advertised performance; however, a connection between outlets on two different circuits will get substantially less or will not work depending on how good the wiring is and how far apart the adapters are. You may also get different results by changing either end to another outlet, even on the same circuit. In the two cases that did work cross-circuit, I got around 20-30Mbps fairly reliably from adapters which were rated at 500Mbps. While that's not really an exciting result, it was adequate to stream TV shows.
Thanks for the input! I picked up a TP-Link AV2000, since it was at my local Micro Center and it seemed to have very good reviews. But here's the problem - I just kinda took for granted that a wired connection would be a huge improvement, but it turns out I had already been getting close to 100/100 (my up/down limit on Fios) over wifi. So unless I'm misunderstanding how ISPs work, I was already at my ceiling as far as performance goes.

At least I can see that the adapters work as good as the wifi currently in my house (and with an upgrade on the latency/bandwidth end, I suppose). Which is a good sign at least. Guess I'll need to upgrade my service to test them properly!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 8, 2019

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The speed is more noticeable for larger transfers like video editing and retrieving large files from a NAS imho

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
I am moving in with the wife and looking to redo the home network.

Currently she has an apple airport extreme (bought it used six months before they got discontinued). it works well, but the speeds die off at the other edge of the house where the kitchen and bathroom is located.

At my current house i have two tmobile ac1900 converted to asus RT68U, i am using one at the moment because i can get reception everywhere, and using a edgerouter x for the main router because i am an idiot that doesn't need more hardware.

we also have a lot of internet of thangs that we would like to bring online. i would like to segment them off either on a separate vlan or separate LAN (which is an option I am considering).

I would like to do the following items:

• set up a separate LAN for in the edgerouter
  • for the primary network, switch out the airport extreme with one asus tmobile RT68U and see if i can get a larger coverage. if not, add the second RT68U and try to set up aimesh with a wired backbone.
  • use the airport as an access point (2.4 ghz radio) for the IOT items and plug it in to the secondary network
  • set up the two raspberry pi's for DNS and home automation, use the wifi to connect to the IOT network, and the lan to the primary network. this is to allow homebridge to work.
  • the IOT network will have bandwidth limited to 1m/1m (or lower) incase my light bulbs join the red army and DDOS the hamsterdance website.
  • the amazon echo's, google home mini, google chrome cast audio, apple tv, tvs (i may just unplug them at this point), ipads/phones, laptops, desktops, voip adapter to mess around with the wife, and ouiji board will connect to the primary network.

my goals are
  • I want the primary network to be used by everyday devices, using only the 5Ghz network for the wireless
  • primary network should be reachable from the parking pad
  • I want the IOT items do their own thing in their own corner, what ever traffic they create shouldnt impact the primary network
  • should not impact the wife acceptance level

am I making myself crazy?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Got a bunch of Unifi gear ordered to get my mother in law’s house upgraded this weekend. I think it should be pretty straightforward to setup, but they have DSL and I’ve only ever dealt with cable/gigabit before. Plan is to keep their existing DSL modem/router and set it into bridge mode so just the modem is working. I know I need to get the PPPoE login info to get the USG set up properly. Any other red flags I should look out for?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Situation: 50Mbps internet, Airport Extreme 1st or 2nd gen router, 2 PCs I'd like to use wired connection on and a variety of mobile/streaming devices around the home. The signal from the airport kind of stinks and I'm looking for house coverage. ~1700sqft and I figure since my router is over 10 years old the state of the art for broadcasting has improved a bit.

I read the OP and I didn't see an all in one router/wifi unit besides the apple offerings. As I understand it, they have all been discontinued so I want something else. I figure almost anything would be an improvement but I'm not afraid to spend some money on a replacement. Where should I start?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Does anyone know how to flash a C7 back to factory firmware? I managed to get dd-wrt working on it but the stability issues arent worth the comfort of ddwrt and I just want my poo poo to work better.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Is the first post still mostly up to date? The "premium" recommended modem and routers are about $85 each (Arris SB6190 and TP-Link AC1900 C9). Is it worth $100 extra for something like the SB8200, or for normal home use it does not really make a difference? I am not sure if something like the SB8200 is new and that is why it was not mentioned in the first post, or it is just not worth the extra money.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 10, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Pain of Mind posted:

Is the first post still mostly up to date? The "premium" recommended modem and routers are about $85 each (Arris SB6190 and TP-Link AC1900 C9). Is it worth $100 extra for something like the SB8200, or for normal home use it does not really make a difference? I am not sure if something like the SB8200 is new and that is why it was not mentioned in the first post, or it is just not worth the extra money.

Friends don't let friends get an SB6190, so that part of it isn't really up to date.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

If any goons in the UK are selling any unifi stuff, let me know, I need 2 more APs and a USG.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Avoid the 6190 modem. Go with the 6183 unless you’re area has the infrastructure and speeds for the 8200. If you’re not getting gigabit you probably don’t need the 8200.

If you need something with 24 channels, the netgear cm600 isn’t a bad choice. It’s good to a theoretical 940 mbit down

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What's wrong with the 6190? I have 200 down and haven't had a single problem with it in my apartment.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jokes posted:

What's wrong with the 6190? I have 200 down and haven't had a single problem with it in my apartment.

There's a problem with the Intel Puma chipset used in that modem and others. There's a massive thread over at dslreports that covers it. Supposedly it's been fixed by a firmware update, but I'm not sure as I haven't read anything about it in some time.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Ugh, moving means I get to figure out how to home network again. My new house has FiOS and it looks like I have poor wireless coverage upstairs, since my AP is in the basement. I'm thinking of buying a second ubiquiti AP, but I only have coax upstairs. Could I buy a moca bridge to connect the AP to the network? Would I have to buy one bridge only since the Verizon router is providing a coax - lan bridge?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Ugh, moving means I get to figure out how to home network again. My new house has FiOS and it looks like I have poor wireless coverage upstairs, since my AP is in the basement. I'm thinking of buying a second ubiquiti AP, but I only have coax upstairs. Could I buy a moca bridge to connect the AP to the network? Would I have to buy one bridge only since the Verizon router is providing a coax - lan bridge?

You probably expect this reply already, but if you plan on being there any length of time, you really ought to consider running one or more cable(s).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

astral posted:

You probably expect this reply already, but if you plan on being there any length of time, you really ought to consider running one or more cable(s).

Yeah yeah, I'm sure I will. Right now, I have

1. Old Airport Extreme as the primary router
2. Lan Port on Airport: Verizon Gateway as secondary, with coax connected to STBs
3. Lan Port on Airport: Ubiquiti AP

What I want to do is buy a new Ubiquiti AP to connect over coax and I'm not sure whether:
1. I need one MOCA Bridge (https://www.amazon.com/d/Modems/Mot...rds=moca+bridge). Here, I'd connect the bridge to coax upstairs and the AP to the bridge. That seems like enough, since the Verizon gateway is acting as a MOCA router, right?
2. I need two MOCA bridges: one to go from Airport Extreme -> Coax, one to go from Coax -> Ubiquiti.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 12, 2019

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The moca bridge should work. But somewhere you can return easily if you can though. You could also look into waps with wireless backhaul and place one on each level

eames
May 9, 2009

Pfsense launched their new small appliance based on a $49 SBC called "Espressobin".

SG-1100 $149, 64bit dualcore ARM, 1GB RAM, 8GB MMC, USB 3.0, internal SATA, micro-USB console.
close to 1 Gbit of throughput in their "internet mix" benchmark.

https://www.netgate.com/blog/netgates-new-sg-1100-punches-way-above-its-weight.html

also worth mentioning: "the SG-1100 is Netgate’s first product equipped with a Microchip® CryptoAuthentication Device which assures customers they are running authentic, unaltered pfSense software."
this may or may not be used as DRM to keep people from running pfsense on the original $49 espressobin itself.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Residency Evil posted:

Have you considered powerline? Sounds like you're already pretty far down the MOCA route, so just wanted to mention the option of buying a box of AV2000 TPlinks or something similar from Amazon / Best Buy since that seems like a quick fix.

Plug in, see latency and throughput (typical latency is like ~10 ms with ~150-200 megabits bidirectional throughput) and you can return if it doesn't work well for your wiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don’t know how old RE’s house is, but it might be pretty old. If it’s fairly new power line is an option.