Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I got into the habit very quickly (like, maybe after the first zombie?) of swiping with the knife just to make sure they were dead. Saved me a few bullets here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

DeadButDelicious posted:

I got into the habit very quickly (like, maybe after the first zombie?) of swiping with the knife just to make sure they were dead. Saved me a few bullets here and there.

That's probably why they made knives have durability.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Republicans posted:

That's probably why they made knives have durability.

Oh there are knives plural, huh? I was wondering this whole time if there was only one survival knife and if I left it in a zombie's face after escaping him I'd have to get it back from him.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

marshmallow creep posted:

Oh there are knives plural, huh? I was wondering this whole time if there was only one survival knife and if I left it in a zombie's face after escaping him I'd have to get it back from him.

I found two, one on a dead cop and the one that Marvin gave me.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

It looked like there was at least one knife in the weapon lockers.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Finished in 17:43 - as the timer got lower I was starting to worry, but it ended sooner than I thought.

The gore in this looks amazing. I got a shotgun about halfway through and domed the zombie that'd followed me into the weapons lockers, and his whole skull just sorta blossomed into this huge crimson starburst. It was awesome :hellyeah:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I wouldn't be surprised if enterprising people will just freeze the timer with Cheat Engine.

E: loved what I played but I'm not the kind of person to rush even when an artificial timer is running like for this demo. I didn't get past acquiring the shotty.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, think I'm going to go Xbone for this. Had a fair bit of stuttering on the PC version, even after I turned it down to 30fps.

Probably could have fixed it by playing with the settings but I didn't want to spend my limited time loving around with that.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Holy hell does it ever run bad on OG Xbone. I really need to expedite my new build.
Knife durability sucks. I was wondering what was going on the second time I used it in defense and I couldn't pick it up. And no way to shake them off otherwise? Uhh...

Still can't wait to sink my teeth in without time limits. It's fresh enough that I feel uneasy even with my knowledge of the original.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Stupid question but with the demo's time limit, is that for that specific play-through or the demo in general?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Demo in general. You can't start over

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Very very pleasantly surprised with how well this runs on the PS4 Pro, straight 60fps when I was expecting a polished 30. It feels like RE7 and RE4 had a baby and decided to raise it to be exactly like RE2.

If the Ethan leak is true and the game has a mode to match, I will be in absolute hog heaven. AND DO VR YOU COWARDS OMG IT WOULD BE SO GOOD

I definitely ended my time with the demo wanting more. Day one for me for sure.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Pretty good demo, it’s just RE2 with some nice QOL improvements which is exactly what I wanted it to be. Exploring the station was just fun.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I'm glad there are so many spoiler blocks in this thread. I'm actually reluctant to start the demo while there are still two weeks to go until release.

Raxivace posted:

Yeah in true classic RE fashion it seems you're better off shooting to incapacitate rather than necessarily kill.

What in tarnation is this Survival Horror heresy? You'd expend 3 - 4 bullets each on the same zombies several times during a classic RE run rather than just straight-up blap the fuckers with ~7 a go and never worry about them again?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I hope the final game has an infinite ammo mode. With 3 minutes left I decided to rush to the first zombie and ineffectively pistol the hell out of him.

Both arms fell off before he dropped, and when he finally did, his head flopped off. :allears:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlestheHammer posted:

Pretty good demo, it’s just RE2 with some nice QOL improvements which is exactly what I wanted it to be. Exploring the station was just fun.

I also like that the station (even though it's a converted museum like in the original) actually feels more like a real police station. Yes, I know Gothic horror and all, but I like a more "realistic",I know that's not the proper term, station. You know just more filled it with less mansion things.

And yes I am greatly amused that they added bathrooms, I remember the old Story Guide on gamefaqs used to even have a question dedicated to that

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

What in tarnation is this Survival Horror heresy? You'd expend 3 - 4 bullets each on the same zombies several times during a classic RE run rather than just straight-up blap the fuckers with ~7 a go and never worry about them again?
It's more that on the oft chance I had to actually fire at a zombie I didn't care about killing them as much as just getting through a room (Especially REmake where Crimson Heads are a thing).

Like I don't disagree with what Mountain Lightning was saying about dodging usually being easier, that's what I'm doing most of the time.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 12, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Raxivace posted:

(Especially REmake where Crimson Heads are a thing)
Speaking of these, am I the only guy in the universe that doesn't have these fuckers spring up the moment I enter the room? With a few exceptions (mainly in the lab area), I generally have to get up close enough to step on these bastards before they wake up and start chasing me around like my dead grandpa did in that horrible dream I had.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Speaking of these, am I the only guy in the universe that doesn't have these fuckers spring up the moment I enter the room? With a few exceptions (mainly in the lab area), I generally have to get up close enough to step on these bastards before they wake up and start chasing me around like my dead grandpa did in that horrible dream I had.

Are you leaving zombie bodies around a lot?

I don't typically get a lot of Crimson Heads, outside of the mandatory one before the armor key and the boss one. The few I've gotten are generally just up again already when I show back up later. And usually that's from me forgetting that sometimes they won't get replaced by Hunters in the mansion if you left them around. Maybe it's because the 'timer' or whatever clicks down while you're in the room? Hmm. Now I'm kind of curious myself. Might try a run through to deliberately Crimson Head up the mansion and what not to see their behavior next time I get a chance to play the REmake.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sheen Sheen posted:

I might never play another video game again

you should play the resident evil 2 remake it looks good

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
IIRC crimson heads stay down until you walk next to them, but once they are on their feet they will stay active until they are either put down or replaced by hunters (when you come back from the guard house). Also don't try to burn a crimson head that is still laying on the ground but hasn't woken up yet, it just wakes them up anyway.

However, you can burn two zombies with one unit of fuel if they are close enough together (like literally overlapping) so that's a nice thing to do if you aren't 100% confident in your ability to just speedrun the first part of the mansion.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

just finished and omfg i cant believe this is happening, that was some awesome poo poo

capcom is crazy

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Here’s a Question. If you try to burn the first crimson head in the hallway and trigger an early awakening does that also trigger the others to start their timers or do they still have the grace period of until you grab the armor key officially from the pedestal?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

First time I played REmake on the GC I figured all the corpses staying around were actually a sign of the times. All the bodies disappearing in the Original trilogy surely had to be about saving memory on both the memory card and the ram of the console, surely! Now in gamecube days we can just have that poo poo lying around. Object permanence! Also I downed every Z I found! :buddy:

And then I found the note that explained crimson heads. :downsa:

E: I'm sure I've had crimson heads come at me from across the room. And not a simple small one either. But, like, jog through a corridor with turns. It knew I was there without seeing me. It just activated and beelined for me.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I remember my brother saying to me years ago how growing up with the Master System playing My Hero and other side scrollers, wishing he could enter the buildings, at least the ones with open doors. Nitpicking here and this obviously isn't the only game like it but I wish they would either make all objects interactive (huge undertaking I know) or leave out the ones you can't touch. Hate having a row of lockers for example, one magical one with a big arrow pointing to it and the others, just nope. Again, sorry to nitpick but this is one of those things I wish gaming was matured past by now.

On that note, will the whole game have big hints pointing to everything like in the demo? I really don't like that, makes it too easy. I really enjoy poking in every corner looking for poo poo.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Spiffster posted:

Here’s a Question. If you try to burn the first crimson head in the hallway and trigger an early awakening does that also trigger the others to start their timers or do they still have the grace period of until you grab the armor key officially from the pedestal?

I think that one's just scripted to rise up when you go to get the armor key. Trying to burn it early wakes it up like other Crimson Heads. I'm not quite sure on the rest though.

(incidentally, burning multiple bodies is good, but another semi-useful thing you can do is torch a few of the zombies scripted to wake up at certain points, like the zombie on the floor in the '4 Itchy Tasty' bedroom or the one that can get up in the kitchen when you trigger the zombie coming into the room video. It makes fleeing those rooms slightly easier.)

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Mountain Lightning posted:

Are you leaving zombie bodies around a lot?
Yes. I never used to but after 10+ years you just say 'gently caress it' and decide that carting the Lighter + Kerosene Flask around is wasted inventory space. I've left numerous not-dead zombies laying around all over the mansion due to this """professional""" laziness and only after I get real close while trudging around solving puzzles do they suddenly spring up with a sudden craving to eat my face.

Spiffster posted:

...that's a very good question, and I'd answer it if it didn't raise another question; there's a grace period? I've been playing this game for 16 loving years and there's a grace period where no Crimsons can even mutate?

Edit:

another semi-useful thing you can do is torch a few of the zombies scripted to wake up at certain points, like the zombie on the floor in the '4 Itchy Tasty' bedroom or the one that can get up in the kitchen
loving hell! I'm learning more new things about this game in the last few posts than I've learned in the last decade! Although I'm pretty drat sure that dead guy in the kitchen by the elevator never wakes up, or at least I swear to god he's never, ever bothered to wake up for my dumb nonsense. He's just a red herring, like that guy in the crow hall (first new room of the game!) or that other numpty by the stairs next to the medical room.

Regarding the "replaced by Hunters" thing, isn't this difficulty-dependent? I know on Easy the Hunters are banished by any still-present zombies, but anything above that I think Hunters take priority. This is definitely the case on Hard, because early on (back when this game was new) I tried leaving several zombies around to cut my finish time only for some scaly high-speed motherfucker to spook me into leaving the upper dining room and re-entering with the GL equipped.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 12, 2019

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

...that's a very good question, and I'd answer it if it didn't raise another question; there's a grace period? I've been playing this game for 16 loving years and there's a grace period where no Crimsons can even mutate?

Pretty sure when you blow the whistle to get the fake key that starts the ability to mutate throughout the mansion. But they don’t rise until you pass the first one. The hallway crimson will stay down until you gain that fake key and pass it to get to the real armor key or you try to burn it before it’s scheduled scripted time. I just never had the time or patience to see what truly causes the mutation for the others in the mansion. The dogs fake key? The first zombie? Both? The actual armor key grab?

:iiam:

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Yes. I never used to but after 10+ years you just say 'gently caress it' and decide that carting the Lighter + Kerosene Flask around is wasted inventory space. I've left numerous not-dead zombies laying around all over the mansion due to this """professional""" laziness and only after I get real close while trudging around solving puzzles do they suddenly spring up with a sudden craving to eat my face.

Edit:

loving hell! I'm learning more new things about this game in the last few posts than I've learned in the last decade! Although I'm pretty drat sure that dead guy in the kitchen by the elevator never wakes up, or at least I swear to god he's never, ever bothered to wake up for my dumb nonsense. He's just a red herring, like that guy in the crow hall (first new room of the game!) or that other numpty by the stairs next to the medical room.

Regarding the "replaced by Hunters" thing, isn't this difficulty-dependent? I know on Easy the Hunters are banished by any still-present zombies, but anything above that I think Hunters take priority. This is definitely the case on Hard, because early on (back when this game was new) I tried leaving several zombies around to cut my finish time only for some scaly high-speed motherfucker to spook me into leaving the upper dining room and re-entering with the GL equipped.

I don't know about a grace period, truth be told. One of the things I suppose I'll test next time I get a chance.

The Crow Hall zombie disappears after a period. I've never found out if he switches rooms or something, and he's never around once you get the fuel canteen to burn him, so I don't know what happens to him. As for the other red herring zombies, they seem to be character or difficulty dependent on whether or not they get up to mess around. I've seen the kitchen one start crawling before, and while it was a long time ago and I could be wrong, I'm pretty sure the one in the western stairwell room outside of the save room (where you get the serum) can get up too.

(as a semi-example of the character dependence on monster stuff, Jill gets to kill the surprise bathtub zombie in a cutscene, but has to deal with the hanging zombie in the guard house. Chris has the reverse: the zombie isn't killed in a cutscene but the hanging zombie never falls down. Their reactions to the reviving bee in the puzzle to get the wind crest also differs)

As for the Hunters, again, not sure if it is difficulty dependent or not. I almost always play on normal when I'm blazing through it and try to avoid playing with the Hunters in general. Some rooms they do replace them (upstairs dining room), other rooms I've noticed don't get replaced (the Arrow hallway with the mandatory Crimson Head, though I've never killed all of them to see if they get replaced), and I'm pretty sure that a few only get replaced if they've been cleared out or only left with zombies (can't recall any from memory, but I have been surprised to find Crimson Heads instead of Hunters on mansion return trips).

Edited for clarity.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Spiffster posted:

Pretty sure when you blow the whistle to get the fake key that starts the ability to mutate throughout the mansion. But they don’t rise until you pass the first one. The hallway crimson will stay down until you gain that fake key and pass it to get to the real armor key or you try to burn it before it’s scheduled scripted time. I just never had the time or patience to see what truly causes the mutation for the others in the mansion. The dogs fake key? The first zombie? Both? The actual armor key grab?

:iiam:
All I know is trying to set the "first" Crimson on fire will just aggravate him and give you some early grief. Everything else regarding Crimsons is completely up in the air, and I think I like it that way overall. Not knowing about these details at least lets the game retain some of that spook factor I love so much.

I don't know about a grace period, truth be told. One of the things I suppose I'll test next time I get a chance.

The Crow Hall zombie disappears after a period. I've never found out if he switches rooms or something, and he's never around once you get the fuel canteen to burn him, so I don't know what happens to him. As for the other red herring zombies, they seem to be character or difficulty dependent on whether or not they get up to mess around. I've seen the kitchen one start crawling before, and while it was a long time ago and I could be wrong, I'm pretty sure the one in the western stairwell room outside of the save room (where you get the serum) can get up too.

(as a semi-example of the character dependence on monster stuff, Jill gets to kill the surprise bathtub zombie in a cutscene, but has to deal with the hanging zombie in the guard house. Chris has the reverse: the zombie isn't killed in a cutscene but the hanging zombie never falls down. Their reactions to the reviving bee in the puzzle to get the wind crest also differs)

As for the Hunters, again, not sure if it is difficulty dependent or not. I almost always play on normal when I'm blazing through it and try to avoid playing with the Hunters in general. Some rooms they do replace them (upstairs dining room), other rooms I've noticed don't get replaced (the Arrow hallway with the mandatory Crimson Head, though I've never killed all of them to see if they get replaced), and I'm pretty sure that a few only get replaced if they've been cleared out or only left with zombies (can't recall any from memory, but I have been surprised to find Crimson Heads instead of Hunters on mansion return trips).

Edited for clarity.
Fair point on the character-dependent thing. I rarely play as Chris because having only six item slots is loving crap and potentially invokes a lot of tedious busy work if you want to kill everything in your path and solve multiple puzzles between trips to the Item Box (basically, he can't loving do that sort of thing with any efficiency). I don't recall Hunters ever being a thing in the Arrow hallway (randomiser aside) but I could be wrong; come to think of it I don't think I've stuck around long enough to find out as I don't bother fully re-exploring that part of the map on the return trip unlocking all the Helmet doors.

I'll have to replay the game and go through some meticulous nonsense to find this stuff out. Hopefully while drunk so I can forget the fine points and not ruin the current mystery for any future replays :v:

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 12, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
To steal a thread title from former forums user Lady Naga:

Resident Evil Megathread 3: The Fault in our STARS

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hell yes.

Demo runs AWESOME. 4k / 120fps / every setting maxed as far as it goes - seamless gameplay.

Thats all I wanted to know before preordering.

Way to go capcom; take my money

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

game runs and looks wonderful on even a base ps4. RE Engine is god. Need this game in my veins asap

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
This demo is really good, holy poo poo this game is getting some love.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
The new map so far feels so good and logical, as do all the new touches like the lobby becoming a triage area, riot doors blocking personnel areas, and shelves pulled down in a hurry. I'm genuinely curious about how weird it gets when we get into Irons goofing with security on behalf of Umbrella...or if he does at all.

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

The victory screen's post-it notes are readable and one of them is hilarious.

To whoever keeps ... could you please stop eating the office greenery! I don't care if you say they make you feel better, those herbs cost MONEY!

This game is going to be something special :)

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
had to pretty much lower everything to get it to run on my garbo pc (lmao 750ti, lmao i5 4460, lmao 8g of ram) but even then it was smooth and didn't prevent me from getting siqqq headshots so it's all good. Definitely going to wait to get a better computer before I buy and play the game though, it feels like a waste of the artistic talent of the devs if I see everything in pixel mode.

Ended up finishing the demo in just below 20 minutes on my first try and it kind of felt like it was real easy? Most likely the demo is set to easy mode because I had 72 rounds of 9mm by the time I was done (with another 12 in the 'tilda) plus some shotgun ammo. And 2 knives. And enough health items to get almost murdered twice over if I so chose. Also I think I've found how the game tells you whether a zombie is dead for good or just taking a nap : the killing headshots have much bigger bloodsprays and meatier sounds than "standard" headshots. Or it could just have been me...

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
RE3 remake when

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
https://imgur.com/gallery/D6F2vYf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Yeeeeeaahhhh, gimme that good poo poo. Just like the old days!