Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'm torn on what to get the game for. On the one hand it runs fine on my computer at 1440p and hits around 72 to 144 fps on my 144hz monitor pretty much maxed out. On the other hand regular PS4 on 4k hdr tv sorta looked better...or maybe I was just appreciating things more since I wasn't booking it trying to get back to where I had been in the PS4 demo before time ran out. I kinda instead found the ending of the demo early.

It's a tough call since 60+ fps and mouse aim super feels better but it looked real drat good on my tv with HDR on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyOso
Oct 9, 2007

a more refined age

MagusDraco posted:

I'm torn on what to get the game for. On the one hand it runs fine on my computer at 1440p and hits around 72 to 144 fps on my 144hz monitor pretty much maxed out. On the other hand regular PS4 on 4k hdr tv sorta looked better...or maybe I was just appreciating things more since I wasn't booking it trying to get back to where I had been in the PS4 demo before time ran out. I kinda instead found the ending of the demo early.

It's a tough call since 60+ fps and mouse aim super feels better but it looked real drat good on my tv with HDR on.

Or go all in like I did and buy the thing twice.

No regrets.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
I liked this post-it note on the demo completion screen:

I'm glad they finally made the game I wanted since Resident Evil 4 was released.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
https://steamcommunity.com/stats/961440/achievements

should i take this to mean only 9% of players finish the demo? unless that includes time at the start menu

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Relin posted:

should i take this to mean only 9% of players finish the demo? unless that includes time at the start menu

you can finish the demo without using up the 30 minutes. I accidentally finished it in like 12:42 while skipping cutscenes since my PC playthrough was my second run.

Also it's probably the 9% of the players trying to do shenanigans to play for longer than 30 minutes.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Relin posted:

It's 100% as a total of the playerbase, so if 91.2% have the 30 minute achievement, it means that 91.2% of the playerbase have finished the demo.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Finally picked up RE7 during the holiday sales and got around to playing it. It's pretty good so far except for the fact that I feel so drat slow, unless I'm missing something. I don't expect to be a ninja, but can't I outpace enemies faster than this?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the gore is just fuckin sick. I love how headshots that don't immediately kill zombies just PULVERIZE their faces and take chunks off. I just can't stop being impressed at how loving good Capcom nailed the landing on RE7 and now they're going in for the hat trick with this game.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

the gore is just fuckin sick. I love how headshots that don't immediately kill zombies just PULVERIZE their faces and take chunks off. I just can't stop being impressed at how loving good Capcom nailed the landing on RE7 and now they're going in for the hat trick with this game.

Now watch, the game will be considered a failure sales wise and we'll be doomed to another decade of Leon doing somersaults off of a motorcycle while throwing grenades at zombie dogs in slow motion.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The knives are useful but holy heck can zombies take a lot of knife punishment. There were several I carved up like they were gyro meat rotisseries and they kept going, missing arms or legs. One I was certain was dead because he went down and stopped moving, then when I came back that way, he was wandering the halls, still covered in gashes and missing an arm.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

I blasted a fat boy in half with the shotgun and the top half still crawled after me like in the original RE2, but thanks to the marvels of modern technology it's way more gross and the guts were dragging behind him.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Psychepath posted:

The new map so far feels so good and logical, as do all the new touches like the lobby becoming a triage area, riot doors blocking personnel areas, and shelves pulled down in a hurry. I'm genuinely curious about how weird it gets when we get into Irons goofing with security on behalf of Umbrella...or if he does at all.

Yeah, this was a huge plus for me. Like I said I liked how realistic it felt now, even though it wasn’t the right term. I think logical is a far more fitting term. It makes sense in the fictional world the story is establishing. I noticed thinks like sleeping bags in the press room like people were hold up in there.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I actually think all the effort and detail they put into the new station clashes in a fairly effective way with the over-emphasis on the Resident Evil keys and puzzles and stuff. It 's a really weird experience.

The changes they've made to the gameplay feel perfect and the demo runs fantastically on a PS4 Pro. Though I was surprised by how much obvious asset re-use there was from RE7, even in such a short block.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

I actually think all the effort and detail they put into the new station clashes in a fairly effective way with the over-emphasis on the Resident Evil keys and puzzles and stuff. It 's a really weird experience.

"Ok, we're a smallish size city that shouldn't have an elite task force, so the guys who know a little more about Umbrella get this totally arbitrary CLUB KEY for doors that no one else needs to access" kinda almost makes sense these days, moreso than all the locked doors did when RE2 first came out.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm shocked how well this game runs. Everything is pretty much on max on my GTX 970 with 2500k (OC) and the game runs at a silky smooth 60fps with no drops. Capcom really does make the best in-house engines.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
A friend and I got Resident Evil 2 the day it came out and we were super hype and it was mindblowing to play at the time. Somehow Capcom managed to replicate that with this demo. :wtc: Like holy poo poo. The gore and the resilience of the zombies is awesome. It reminds me of House of the Dead 2 where you had to shoot them right between the eyes to kill them fast and anything less just blew chunks of the head/body/whatever off. I love it.

I was living in this suburban part of New Jersey at the time that had this exact police station from RE2 and hell it's New Jersey so we were all obsessed with horror stuff forever. The police station near where we lived (it's unfortunately in a new building now) was located inside what used to be an old elementary school and they would hold community events at and around it too. So it literally had that exact weird mix of modern office area, weird art installation, gothic revival hallway, modern office.

New Jersey man, I never want to live there again but hell yes living in literal 80s horror movie land. Surrounded by poo poo in all directions like that police station, Shadow Lake, Witches Hollow Road, the Marlboro Psychiatric Ward that they closed in the 90s and just let everyone out of that literally also had an abandoned slaughterhouse on the property, my high school had a police firing range at the far ends of its property with the range facing the school, all the weird decrepit stripmalls and hotels that used to be on 35 where the neo Nazis would hang out, Shades of Death Blvd., random Twin Peaks shacks in the woods, what a fuckin' state.

I'm so hype for this, and keeping the demo limited to 30 minutes was pretty cool, I was glad I still had time to look around at stuff.

Also I love love love love that you can use the knife as a defensive weapon and have to retrieve it after and all the little extra bits of visual density like someone posted earlier with the main lobby having a ramshackle triage and stuff. I wasn't expecting the game to do such a good job of making the situation feel completely hosed even though you have a good amount of ammo and so on.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

thinkin 'bout that re2

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

The game seems pretty sweet but the 30min time limit is dumb as hell. I spent the last ten minutes of my playtime stuck in that hallway area you drop into through the small window, with the fat zombie at the vending machine. I apparently didn't have any items needed to get past the steam or locked doors and the screen just faded out and thanked me for playing. Whole time I felt rushed too. I barely got to use the shotgun :(

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Mountain Lightning posted:

I don't know about a grace period, truth be told. One of the things I suppose I'll test next time I get a chance.

The Crow Hall zombie disappears after a period. I've never found out if he switches rooms or something, and he's never around once you get the fuel canteen to burn him, so I don't know what happens to him. As for the other red herring zombies, they seem to be character or difficulty dependent on whether or not they get up to mess around. I've seen the kitchen one start crawling before, and while it was a long time ago and I could be wrong, I'm pretty sure the one in the western stairwell room outside of the save room (where you get the serum) can get up too.

(as a semi-example of the character dependence on monster stuff, Jill gets to kill the surprise bathtub zombie in a cutscene, but has to deal with the hanging zombie in the guard house. Chris has the reverse: the zombie isn't killed in a cutscene but the hanging zombie never falls down. Their reactions to the reviving bee in the puzzle to get the wind crest also differs)

As for the Hunters, again, not sure if it is difficulty dependent or not. I almost always play on normal when I'm blazing through it and try to avoid playing with the Hunters in general. Some rooms they do replace them (upstairs dining room), other rooms I've noticed don't get replaced (the Arrow hallway with the mandatory Crimson Head, though I've never killed all of them to see if they get replaced), and I'm pretty sure that a few only get replaced if they've been cleared out or only left with zombies (can't recall any from memory, but I have been surprised to find Crimson Heads instead of Hunters on mansion return trips).

Edited for clarity.

I think the crow hall zombie is the one that comes through the balcony door after you have the armour key, near the west save room stairwell. The two generally use the same model, there's really nowhere else for him to come from, but he must take a hell of a jank-rear end route to get there.

I've never seen the fetal zombie in the kitchen do anything. Ever. The one right by the lift, not the one who starts crawling when you trigger the zombie-coming-down-the-stairs cutscene.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Vakal posted:

Now watch, the game will be considered a failure sales wise and we'll be doomed to another decade of Leon doing somersaults off of a motorcycle while throwing grenades at zombie dogs in slow motion.

I heard that RE2 is doing amazing based in pre-orders alone, enough so that they already started on remaking RE3 :)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I don't feel that RE3 would be worth the time and resources for a remake, it was a bland sequelitis asset-flipping Resident Evil and didn't make much of a splash in its day. Capcom would be far better off doing RE4.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I don't feel that RE3 would be worth the time and resources for a remake, it was a bland sequelitis asset-flipping Resident Evil and didn't make much of a splash in its day. Capcom would be far better off doing RE4.

Give the whole series the Kiwami treatment imo. From 3 forward, you can also fix the goddamn worthless-even-by-RE-standards story. (CV very much exempted.)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Will the game be 60fps on an Xbox One X? I’m considering borrowing my cousins just to play it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I ran around the REmake2 demo a bit while a friend was over. Sort of reading the notes, taking mental inventory of the changes, and watching full cutscenes.

Obviously I didn't get far. But the part that annoys me of all things is that I can't re-run the demo now with maxed out graphical settings to see how good/bad it runs. In my haste I didn't waste time tinkering with graphical settings, so now I have no idea how it'd run if maxed certain settings out.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Will the game be 60fps on an Xbox One X? I’m considering borrowing my cousins just to play it.

Definitely, it's 60fps on base PS4 by the sou d of it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

I ran around the REmake2 demo a bit while a friend was over. Sort of reading the notes, taking mental inventory of the changes, and watching full cutscenes.

Obviously I didn't get far. But the part that annoys me of all things is that I can't re-run the demo now with maxed out graphical settings to see how good/bad it runs. In my haste I didn't waste time tinkering with graphical settings, so now I have no idea how it'd run if maxed certain settings out.

Can't you just make a new Steam account?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Andrigaar posted:

You can make a new email from any of the free email providers, open a new steam account with that email and give the game another try. It should be able to open the game from your main profile's library. I know it's a ball-ache, it's what the console players have been doing too.

Also note that the timer doesn't go down on the title screen options menu or when you pause it, only during actual gameplay.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I had thought of that, but it wasn't worth the effort to me just to pump up the details a few times and see where it fell to be 60+ FPS. With most of the settings at low/mid I got 72-60 or maybe a few higher, and the game looked very nice and playable.

Now I just need to resist pre-ordering the game for the next two weeks. Because that's totally going to work... focusing on not buying it :negative:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

asset flipping re3? the hell are you smoking, it has all its own zombie models and characters, the only "asset flip" in that game is chief irons in mercs mode/mayors daughter in the shadows giving the mercs cash at the end and then the 5mins total you spend in the rpd in this 8-10 hour game.

also asset flipping is good if the dev knows what they are doing, see yakuza.

anywho, they are already working on re3 and lmao re4 is not getting remade.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah saying nobody cares about RE3 is insane, Nemesis alone is remembered really fondly and gets like guest slots in loads of other games and spinoffs and poo poo. Also if you actually think it was the worst then surely it's the one best placed to be remade?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lol modders spawning items into the demo now. :spain:

http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/9864/spoilers-item-ids-game-memory

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

holy jesus christ, weapon spoilers the loving gattling gun from re5 is in. the gattling gun! in this engine! with this kind of persistent enemy damage tech!? :vince:

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
gently caress, this game's so good. I was worried the controls wouldn't work for me—that headshots would be tough to pull off—but it's buttery smooth. Whole thing is intensely atmospheric. This is exactly the game I've been waiting for since the REmake, and I couldn't be happier.

Also, there are a few different ways to cheat the timer flying around. I dunno if it's kosher to go too far into it here (I'm happy to elaborate), but the method I used worked like a charm.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Vikar Jerome posted:

anywho, they are already working on re3 and lmao re4 is not getting remade.

RE4 really is one of those games I can't possibly see being remade outside graphical updates since it's already perfect. There's just nothing they could add or take away that would enhance the experience.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

yeah, at most i could see some texture upgrades (for consoles) but thats it.

same with remake 1 too, but i've seen people asking for a remake of that which is just insane. tho to be fair, i wouldnt mind a vr 1st person version of that but without changing a drat thing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah saying nobody cares about RE3 is insane, Nemesis alone is remembered really fondly and gets like guest slots in loads of other games and spinoffs and poo poo. Also if you actually think it was the worst then surely it's the one best placed to be remade?

Yeah I don't like it much myself but people fuckin' loved it back in the day and definitely remember it fondly. "RE3 sucks" (and Code Veronica is great) are relatively recent internet takes on it compared to when they were first released and of course I'd love a remake of RE3 on par with this RE2 one.

Especially with the little touches added to the areas in this remake - something I dislike about RE3 is how Raccoon City is now a city consistent entirely of warehouses and alleyways and it's a huge violator of that thing I hate where there's like a single piece of police tape or a four inch high pile of garbage that gets regarded as a completely inpenetrable massive barrier. All classic RE style games have moments like that, but it falls apart in RE3 because you're outside quite a bit more and suposedly fully equipped to leave the city.

Speaking of which, of course RE3 has some asset flipping, you spend some time in the police station, but that's hardly a bad thing given the story of the game.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah, at most i could see some texture upgrades (for consoles) but thats it.

same with remake 1 too, but i've seen people asking for a remake of that which is just insane. tho to be fair, i wouldnt mind a vr 1st person version of that but without changing a drat thing.

I'd buy a coop RE4.
Otherwise I don't really see the point of a remake. It's already a "modern" game compared to the jank that is 1-3, CV etc.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Remake Dead Aim you cowards.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

RE4 really is one of those games I can't possibly see being remade outside graphical updates since it's already perfect. There's just nothing they could add or take away that would enhance the experience.

Removing loading times, move and shoot/generally better combat, better lighting and textures, improved damage modelling, improve the island (that part is quite flawed), flesh out the bad guys some more (Chief Mendez and Krauser need more screentime), improve the set pieces like the castle siege, less reliance on QTEs, Raid mode, co-op, the list goes on. There's a lot that can just be done because the tech's improved, and there's a lot of flaws and minor issues with the game itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Removing loading times, move and shoot/generally better combat, better lighting and textures, improved damage modelling, improve the island (that part is quite flawed), flesh out the bad guys some more (Chief Mendez and Krauser need more screentime), improve the set pieces like the castle siege, less reliance on QTEs, Raid mode, co-op, the list goes on. There's a lot that can just be done because the tech's improved, and there's a lot of flaws and minor issues with the game itself.

I would trust nobody to start messing with RE4 without causing bigger problems than they're trying to fix