Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FatCow posted:

I think the story there was there were no brakes on the car, or they weren't working at all. They of course knew this before driving it onto a rollback.

I'm guessing they knew the axle was broken, and the only thing holding it on the vehicle was a 25 year old rubber brake hose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I remember right it was mid restoration and needed to switch garages for some reason. Tow truck guy thought he could get it up there, and did not. I assume the camera operator suspected it was gonna turn to poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Powershift posted:

I'm guessing they knew the axle was broken, and the only thing holding it on the vehicle was a 25 year old rubber brake hose.

Exactly what it looked like to me (after watching 3 or 4 times). The rear wheel is coming lose as it goes up the trailer, the brake line pops and the system loses pressure, then things go downhill quickly.

Were TJ axles c-clips?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Dana! :argh:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Exactly what it looked like to me (after watching 3 or 4 times). The rear wheel is coming lose as it goes up the trailer, the brake line pops and the system loses pressure, then things go downhill quickly.

Were TJ axles c-clips?

Dana 35c’s, standard on all YJs and TJs (I think you had to buy some additional package to get the rear 44 on the TJ). The worst Jeep axle ever. :haw:

As soon as I saw the shaft pull out with the wheel I knew it was a 35c. They’re rather infamous for that.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ripoff posted:

Dana 35c’s, standard on all YJs and TJs (I think you had to buy some additional package to get the rear 44 on the TJ). The worst Jeep axle ever. :haw:

As soon as I saw the shaft pull out with the wheel I knew it was a 35c. They’re rather infamous for that.

Just looked up a jeep rollover video and now i'm pissed off, these people had their dog in the car and it flipped out then almost got crushed when they rolled over doing exactly what you do to make a jeep roll over. Your dog does not care that your dick is small and you need to flip your stupid shitwagon for mudder/crawler cred, leave that boy at home.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Here is the full video and description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LMWAmIGyV8

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What could go wrong?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

"Not the 4Runner!!!"

:perfect:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Oh my god it's even dumber than I expected.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Memento posted:

Didn't that quote include the transmission? $3300 for a new 'box for a ~2 year old car is actually pretty drat good.

update:

it's just the clutch/PP and flywheel resurfacing, 3200 at VW and 2500 at her friend's shop

yikes

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Hello rear end-taping labor costs.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
lol

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is there some enormous difference in how this would be done versus an older FWD car?

I mean, doing the clutch in a ‘91 civic wasn’t the most fun job ever, but if someone told me they charge $2500 per, I’d start listing my services on local craigslist for less and clean up.

I know there’s probably “more poo poo”, but still. It’d better be a LOT more.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
looks somewhat involved, remove some stuff in the engine bay, pull the axles and drop the transmission. for some reason the quoted prices for parts seemed unusually high. labor seemed to be about right at 8 or 10 hours.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BraveUlysses posted:

update:

it's just the clutch/PP and flywheel resurfacing, 3200 at VW and 2500 at her friend's shop

yikes

:a2m:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Hello rear end-taping labor costs.

Heh, phone posting!
"rear end-raping", that should have been. I have no idea what "rear end-taping" is, but it's funny for some reason.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

looks somewhat involved, remove some stuff in the engine bay, pull the axles and drop the transmission. for some reason the quoted prices for parts seemed unusually high. labor seemed to be about right at 8 or 10 hours.

Agreed, labor sounds about right, time-wise, anyway. Must be some special parts, eh?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Darchangel posted:

Agreed, labor sounds about right, time-wise, anyway. Must be some special parts, eh?

yeah margin boosting parts

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Darchangel posted:

Heh, phone posting!
"rear end-raping", that should have been. I have no idea what "rear end-taping" is, but it's funny for some reason.
Think Pee-Wee Herman taping up his face, but doing that to your rear end.

phi kappa FUCKBALLS
Jul 24, 2010

Haha yeah I too like to joke & fantasize about rape lol. haha

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

phi kappa FUCKBALLS posted:

Haha yeah I too like to joke & fantasize about rape lol. haha

The thread title is a joke about death.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Everyone dies. Nobody should be raped. :psyduck:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Heh, phone posting!
I have no idea what "rear end-taping" is, but it's funny for some reason.

It's what Emilio Estevez's character in The Breakfast Club did to get detention.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Krakkles posted:

I mean, doing the clutch in a ‘91 civic wasn’t the most fun job ever, but if someone told me they charge $2500 per, I’d start listing my services on local craigslist for less and clean up.

A lot of newer cars are a subframe-out job to drop the transaxle.

Not saying that's the case here, but that's what made my rear end in a top hat pucker when I found out how much a clutch job is on my car.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

A lot of newer cars are a subframe-out job to drop the transaxle.

Not saying that's the case here, but that's what made my rear end in a top hat pucker when I found out how much a clutch job is on my car.

By the book, the subframe has to come out to do the clutch on my wife's Kia - there's not quite enough room to get the transaxle out through the subframe. I did that the first time. The second time, I followed a YouTube mechanic's advice and left the transaxle in the car. There's just enough room in the engine bay to shove it to the side and get to all the clutch bits.
I'm kind of hoping we sell it before there's a third time. Probably should resurface the flywheel if there is a third time. 140K miles, BTW - Kias eat clutches, apparently.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Darchangel posted:

By the book, the subframe has to come out to do the clutch on my wife's Kia - there's not quite enough room to get the transaxle out through the subframe. I did that the first time. The second time, I followed a YouTube mechanic's advice and left the transaxle in the car. There's just enough room in the engine bay to shove it to the side and get to all the clutch bits.
I'm kind of hoping we sell it before there's a third time. Probably should resurface the flywheel if there is a third time. 140K miles, BTW - Kias eat clutches, apparently.

Geesus, what was the mileage on those?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

140K miles, BTW - Kias eat clutches, apparently.

Does it have a checkvalve or a flow reducer in the clutch hydraulics so that it's harder to stall and therefore rides the clutch?

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

nmfree posted:

Think Pee-Wee Herman taping up his face, but doing that to your rear end.

I was thinking tap, like tap and die, rather than tape:

Having a metric threaded anus might be convenient when avoiding accidents, but clean removal might be tricky.

edit: For best luck, don't use a 10MM bolt

netwerk23 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 16, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thread a fumoto oil drain valve up in there

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I read a thread about what they do with bodies in funeral homes on these very forums and they do indeed thread a threaded butt plug up you. Food for thought.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I can imagine being the guy in the tool making side of producing that and having to check the pitch diameter and taper per inch of that thread.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, now I've learned something I really didn't want to know

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I want to know the torque specification for the plastic butt plug / human anus interface.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Safety Dance posted:

I want to know the torque specification for the plastic butt plug / human anus interface.

Get out your FATAL rulebook, table 32c.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m the mortician trying to use an EZ-out on one of these.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrYenko posted:

LEAVE IT IN THERE, MORT

hope it's biodegradable!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

MrYenko posted:

Good luck, they used brown Threadlocker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

As long as you don't have to bust out the Hell-Coil it's a good day.