Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Maybe a proper Blu Ray release? Only seems fair considering how it was only released once and is now out of print and Night got a Criterion release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

Maybe a proper Blu Ray release? Only seems fair considering how it was only released once and is now out of print and Night got a Criterion release

Probably a 4k blu-ray release.

edit: Maybe a theatrical run?!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dawn of the Dead Blu- ray release by Mill Creek!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
That scene in Tenebrae is so drat good.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Franchescanado posted:

Probably a 4k blu-ray release.

edit: Maybe a theatrical run?!

I would piss my pants if I got to see Dawn in a theater. I’m seriously considering a trip to Pittsburgh just to visit the mall, in fact.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In the Mouth Of Madness did was effective at making it seem like the world was ending just outside the edges of the story

the acting was awkward tho, which was odd given the talent in both the director and actors :confused:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jason X on Netflix: say what you will about that film, that shot of Jason chained up at the beginning is such an incredible visual.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Jason X has the second best Jason design after New Blood.

(and to be clear I'm talking about his default look, not Uber Jason)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I've always preferred the Jason look from Freddy vs Jason.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

JASON IS FAT NOT LEAN

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Particularly in this shot:

edit: HE AIN'T LEAN. HE CARRIES HIS WEIGHT QUITE WELL, THANK YOU!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I love the angular mask in Jason X. He’s always getting his mask destroyed, makes sense he’d eventually get a different one.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

I love the angular mask in Jason X. He’s always getting his mask destroyed, makes sense he’d eventually get a different one.

Kane's got an odd shaped head, and they always gave him a large mask to cover it, and at times it seemed almost comical. In P8 it was almost like he was wearing a serving platter on his face. With JX, they finally seem to realize that they needed to sculpt it to fit his shape.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

married but discreet posted:

That scene in Tenebrae is so drat good.

Yeah it really is.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

The last like 15 minutes of Tenebrae are one of my favorite moments of film. The twists, blood and cheese are unreal

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
this is what i imagine its like to die from a traumatic brain injury

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBjuDWNPeno

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I would piss my pants if I got to see Dawn in a theater. I’m seriously considering a trip to Pittsburgh just to visit the mall, in fact.

If you wanna come visit it’s a fun town but the Monroeville mall is barely recognizable now if that’s what you’re into

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pomp posted:

In the Mouth Of Madness did was effective at making it seem like the world was ending just outside the edges of the story

the acting was awkward tho, which was odd given the talent in both the director and actors :confused:

i think a lot of it hinged on Julie Carmen - she has a lot of screentime and her story has just as much whiplash as Sam Neil, but she gets a bit lost between Sam and all the guest stars popping up along the way. not a diss on her abilities, but for me she's the weak link.

i think Sam does a good job of bridging the weirdness with someone who can't believe he's tracking down a stupid horror writer

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Watched Happy Death Day after seeing it pop up in the last thread a few times. That might literally be a 5/5 for me. Around 2/3 into it when you see the stuff with the serial killer (who killed her mom right? or was that just a red herring to make the whole birthday thing make sense?) and her getting the Groundhog Day style perfect day was a bit stupid, until it all fell apart and we got the real ending, thus shutting me up about any complaints I had. She still made about a thousand stupid decisions, but you know, she needed closure and stuff I guess. Jessica Rothe totally made the movie for me, too. Her performance rocked.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I feel like streaming, even though it's made so many movies available to us, has so many downsides.

It encourages watching movies interrupted in bits and pieces which for many ruins the flow and intensity and impairs whatever the director was shooting for.

It encourages not paying close attention since you can rewind.

It encourages just having a movie on in the background which is fine if it's crap but bad if it's a really good movie you should pay attention to.

Now some movies are perfect to just have in the background when you've seen them before. Like I find having a stream of Silence of the Lambs running is perfect for falling asleep to, just listening to that dialogue, those conversations.

I don't know what the solution to this is.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gejimayu posted:

Watched Happy Death Day after seeing it pop up in the last thread a few times. That might literally be a 5/5 for me. Around 2/3 into it when you see the stuff with the serial killer (who killed her mom right? or was that just a red herring to make the whole birthday thing make sense?) and her getting the Groundhog Day style perfect day was a bit stupid, until it all fell apart and we got the real ending, thus shutting me up about any complaints I had. She still made about a thousand stupid decisions, but you know, she needed closure and stuff I guess. Jessica Rothe totally made the movie for me, too. Her performance rocked.

I mean, nothing about Tree's actions in that film make sense even if you bend over backwards to excuse it on grounds of an impossible situation loving with her or stress and trauma or "its just a drat horror movie". But Rothe is just so charming that she just powers through it and makes Tree deciding that the solution to all her problems and the thing she wants to really stick and deal with the consequences of is to rob a cop of his gun and murder a hospital patient just something you're willing to laugh at and go with.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Zwabu posted:

I feel like streaming, even though it's made so many movies available to us, has so many downsides.

It encourages watching movies interrupted in bits and pieces which for many ruins the flow and intensity and impairs whatever the director was shooting for.

It encourages just having a movie on in the background which is fine if it's crap but bad if it's a really good movie you should pay attention to.

Now some movies are perfect to just have in the background when you've seen them before. Like I find having a stream of Silence of the Lambs running is perfect for falling asleep to, just listening to that dialogue, those conversations.

Don't basically all of those complaints apply to watching a movie at home, period?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

Don't basically all of those complaints apply to watching a movie at home, period?

Yes, but if it's a live broadcast instead of a recording or stream you're more likely to pay attention.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Zwabu posted:

Yes, but if it's a live broadcast instead of a recording or stream you're more likely to pay attention.

Pausing and rewinding live TV has been a thing for quite a while now....

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

This has been an argument since VHS was introduced several decades ago.

I don't think it's actually a problem. I prefer to sit and watch an entire movie in one sitting, but like with having to go to the bathroom during a showing at a movie theater, it's okay to miss a few parts because it gives you a reason to rewatch it later which guarantees a new experience with the film.

I like that I can watch an hour or so of Schindler's List and then take a quick break to do some dishes and then come back and continue it.

Also, streaming allows us to watch films we'd otherwise never even hear about.

I also don't have any proof of this, but I'm pretty sure more people watch TV shows and mini-series these days than actual movies, so they're already bouncing around every half hour.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Let's do it baby. All 5 versions or whatever.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Zwabu posted:

Thats the same issues I've had with a lot of things forever. Music is the same thing. People used to buy an album, go through the act of opening it and putting it on, and listen to it. It's so easy to just put on a stream of a genre you kinda like and mostly ignore it for a while. I dunno, old people problems. I am 32 though, and an ex House/Techno DJ so I was right in the thick of it when people started using the term EDM as a genre instead of a concept so I'm probably biased.

Speaking of genre, is there a term to differentiate horror and comedy as a genre that could really be about anything compared to genres that define... Something more specific? Like, is there a difference between Fantasy, which has a more defined setting than horror, even if it has room for vast differences between those settings, where horror could be anything between The VVitch and Event Horizon? Is this part of the thing where people don't want to admit a good movie can be horror, so they start defining award worthy films as something else instead of giving the genre the credit it deserves?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
my partner just noticed the Friday the 13th movies are on netflix and now she wants to go hard on them them, which ones should I play stardew valley through? I've seen the original, X and FvJ. Enjoyed how good the latter two were but only really found the first interesting for its cultural significance (and i was surprised jason wasn't it)

edit:goofy i meant goofy

Pomp fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 12, 2019

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Pomp posted:

my partner just noticed the Friday the 13th movies are on netflix and now she wants to go hard on them them, which ones should I play stardew valley through? I've seen the original, X and FvJ. Enjoyed how good the latter two were but only really found the first interesting for its cultural significance (and i was surprised jason wasn't it lol)

If your idea of good is Jason x you should be pleasantly surprised by like every movie in the series (it’s the worst one)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
This is why you don’t order a $3 Jason mask on Wish

Also part 2 is the best but 5 is the most underrated

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tolkien minority posted:

If your idea of good is Jason x you should be pleasantly surprised by like every movie in the series (it’s the worst one)

i meant goofy, but just received bad (good?) news

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
The proper Friday rankings are as follows

X

5, 8, and 9 are trash and you shouldn’t even bother watching them. Someone will undoubtedly come in here and tell you 5 is good, but it really isn’t, don’t believe their lies.

The 2009 reboot is decent enough and worth watching. I am a fan of Danielle Panabaker so I may be biased. I hear a lot of people dogging on it but frankly it probably fits in either before or after X depending on how forgiving you are.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Windows 98 posted:

X

5, 8, and 9 are trash and you shouldn’t even bother watching them. Someone will undoubtedly come in here and tell you 5 is good, but it really isn’t, don’t believe their lies.

The 2009 reboot is decent enough and worth watching. I am a fan of Danielle Panabaker so I may be biased. I hear a lot of people dogging on it but frankly it probably fits in either before or after X depending on how forgiving you are.

You’re disrespecting Reggie the Reckless

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Watch every Friday the 13th, don't skip any of them.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

X
Vs
Manhattan

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
7 has the best looking Jason

8 has Jason kill people in some inventive ways

6 has some great 80s self aware humor

4 is the most early 80s Slasher ever

2 is the first movie again but Jason is here now

3 has the Jason actually in it

5 is the most mean spirited, ugly film and is great for those reasons. if you don't like mean spirited trash, you're not going to like it

9 UNRATED, NOT THEATRICAL, has some awesome gore effects and great kills and a killer director's commentary

VS is fun as gently caress and has the goriest final fight in any movie short of a Japanese Gore movie

And the RemakeReboot12Whatever is a blast with some good back to basics stuff and some new meanness. Also gratuitous nudity out the rear end

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The remake has PNP (perfect nipple placement)

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Windows 98 posted:

X

Weird I didn’t know I was posting in the “bad opinions on Friday the 13th” thread

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tolkien minority posted:

Weird I didn’t know I was posting in the “bad opinions on Friday the 13th” thread

I mean you're in teh horror thread so why are you surprised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Watch every Friday the 13th, don't skip any of them.

This is the real answer.