Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Cool, so a patch for 0.8% of all players

(J/K I have no idea how many people have actually completed all C-sides. That's probably a dramatically high estimate)

Edit: okay, I looked it up on Steam and the global percent is... 6.3% of all players? That seems astronomically high

Magitek fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

VikingofRock posted:

Welp, time to get around to finishing the C sides
ugg...yeah

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I didn't fully finish b/c because my left thumb got a numb spot from pressing into the dpad too hard. Guess I should resume at some point!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Magitek posted:

Cool, so a patch for 0.8% of all players

(J/K I have no idea how many people have actually completed all C-sides. That's probably a dramatically high estimate)

Edit: okay, I looked it up on Steam and the global percent is... 6.3% of all players? That seems astronomically high

Can you complete all of the C-Sides with Assist Mode enabled? Maybe that's why it's higher than you'd expect.

I enjoyed the game but I stopped playing it for a while after I got through most of the B-Sides, so I have no idea.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Can you complete all of the C-Sides with Assist Mode enabled?

Yes.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:yeshaha:

I'll have to wait for it to come out on console but I'm ready to jump in again.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Bad timing with Smash coming out on Friday, but I’ll set aside some time for this once it’s live on the Switch :).

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Can't decide if I'm excited because Celeste was one of the best games this year or terrified at having to play on harder mode.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I played one level on 160% speed.

Pretty sure it messes with physics because I could make some jumps more easily and some others that aren't normally possible. Fun stuff though. Hope to see some fools speedrun the game at that speed.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

IGgy IGsen posted:

I played one level on 160% speed.

Pretty sure it messes with physics because I could make some jumps more easily and some others that aren't normally possible. Fun stuff though. Hope to see some fools speedrun the game at that speed.

yes it has been known for a while that slowing it down actually gives 1-2px differences in jump height so I wouldn't be surprised if speeding it up changed things too.

I haven't checked myself but I imagine the cheat code that unlocks everything would also unlock this for anyone who is interested in just trying it out that hasn't finished all the C sides legit.

e. People datamined a bunch of stuff that indicates there will be a new set of levels introduced when the update leaves it's "beta" period, theories about it teaching you some of the advanced movement techniques are going around based on various bits of available info

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 5, 2018

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

They should update the text in the game when these options are used so that the story is about compulsive self-destructive behavior rather than depression and anxiety.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
That's amazing. I'm excited for that to come to the Switch.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I can't wait to see what some of these options do for speedrunning.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

In anticipation of the newest C-Side options coming to Switch, I decided to finally get those last few achievements in Celeste: golden strawberries. More specifically, the golden strawberry for 7-B. The meanest marathon level of them all. I've got almost all others, except for 8-B (never tried that one with the golden strawb) - the C sides were an absolute joke compared to the horror of the golden B-Sides.

I just died twice in a row in the very last segment of 7-B, the one in the clouds.

Aaaaaaargh why can't I let this white whale go this is driving me insane

The very last screen of the wind segment in 7-B is the loving worst, NOONE LIKES WIND DAMMIT

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
https://twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1083920264461570048

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Oh dang. More Celeste coming.. I may as well grab a copy on steam and replay through it now.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I like the idea of more Celeste but I'm not that wild about something harder than the C sides.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

I like the idea of more Celeste but I'm not that wild about something harder than the C sides.

Yeah I'm not sure I can handle that

But I'll try!

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Come on Matt, there needs to be some other delicious collectable if there are no strawberries :ohdear:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I did it

I got the golden strawberry for 7-B

And all I had to do was use one of those Joycons with a proper d-pad instead of the buttons
Seriously, 3000+ deaths, then I get the d-pad joycon, and then I get the strawb within 10 tries :shepicide:
Goddamn. I had no idea what I was missing. SO, SO MANY accidental deaths due to stick controls, apparently. After having gotten most of the golden strawbs, too.

Hahaha just fuckin kill me

Never bothered with a pro controller, I almost exclusively play during transit... Also, obviously, I did not actually run the level 3010 times, since - aside from the initial run with its fair share of death - I did a lot of test runs to find safe strategies with the dash long jumps, especially in the final ascent, where the dash jumps cut out a lot of those terribly finicky dash wall jumps.

I never did figure out how the last part of the temple section worked, the one with the sideways launching platform underneath the orb to the next section... That launch worked maybe 75% of the time, for reasons I did not understand? gently caress IT I'M DONE

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

The piano arrange album dropped today in case you wanted a new way to cry listening to the music from this game.
https://trevorgomes.bandcamp.com/album/celeste-piano-collections

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

SeXReX posted:

The piano arrange album dropped today in case you wanted a new way to cry listening to the music from this game.
https://trevorgomes.bandcamp.com/album/celeste-piano-collections

These are really good and worth the :10bux: but I'm a sucker for marbled vinyl, so I'm in for that too now.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 25, 2019

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
First time reading this thread... there are C Sides next? Ugh. Finished everything up to Core B Side and about 70% through it.. what a pain in the rear end.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The c-sides are really short compared to the rest of it, though they're much harder so it could easily take you longer than the B sides do.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

I just picked this up today and jeeeez. It’s fun as hell and the music is drat good but I was kind of expecting a game I could binge play since I have a week with not much to do. This is not that. I feel like I need to go for a walk after every hour of play, this game is intense.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Ha! I got 199 strawberries. All the golden strawberries. 7-B was by far the hardest to complete without dying once, but honorable mention goes to 3-B, because I absolutely loving hate those twitchy dustbunny things and Oshiro. The C sides were easy enough after that, max 10 tries for each. By far the least fun part of 100% completion is the full runs - Celeste has a REALLY, REALLY nasty habit of arbritarily closing off routes behind you, so whenever there's a fork in the road, there's a good chance you can't even go back after checking one. Not to mention the baffling decision to prevent the camera from scrolling back down on some long vertical rooms, killing you instantly for falling down (or trying to double back for a strawberry!), even though there's nothing down there that could kill you. This game is ridiculously good, but it's really, really bad about exploration sometimes. At least give me the option to jump back to a previous checkpoint in the level without starting the whole thing over!
Oh well. That's done with, at least. The game is really at its best as a casual story runthrough or a linear challenge gauntlet.

But I'm not quite done yet, apparently! Now to see what that hidden strawberry number 200 is all about-

...what

...how does that WORK

How are people just magically jumping of spike corners now?! I'm seeing videos of this, but I just can't get this to work reliably. I have no idea what the actual mechanics/timing of this is. Are there any explanations of this dark magic?!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Torquemadras posted:

How are people just magically jumping of spike corners now?! I'm seeing videos of this, but I just can't get this to work reliably. I have no idea what the actual mechanics/timing of this is. Are there any explanations of this dark magic?!

Basically spikes only really hurt you if you move against them. Note how you can go through one way platforms that have spikes on the other side? Yup, same logic. It's pretty finicky since a lot of these tricks require you to fall in just the right spot or dash at the exact right time AND time a jump correctly. But if you do it right you can jump off the wall behind the spikes.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Basically, it's a combination of two factors. One: spikes only hurt if you're moving towards them.

Two: The collision box for wall-jumping is more generous than the collision box for wall spikes.

By combining those factors you can get boosts off spike walls under the right conditions.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

IGgy IGsen posted:

Basically spikes only really hurt you if you move against them. Note how you can go through one way platforms that have spikes on the other side? Yup, same logic. It's pretty finicky since a lot of these tricks require you to fall in just the right spot or dash at the exact right time AND time a jump correctly. But if you do it right you can jump off the wall behind the spikes.

Wait, so is it just a regular jump, only aimed at the perfect pixel where the floor is basically jutting out from the spikes? Is it an actual wall jump, where you jump AWAY from the wall, then steer over the top (doesn't seem like it, too much momentum away from the wall)? Or is it a jump where you cling to the wall for a short time, then jump over the wall?

I'm getting very inconsistent results... I hope there's a tutorial with actual button presses involved somewhere :/

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Its that the floor the spikes are on goes 1 pixel wider than the spikes do

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Torquemadras posted:

Wait, so is it just a regular jump, only aimed at the perfect pixel where the floor is basically jutting out from the spikes? Is it an actual wall jump, where you jump AWAY from the wall, then steer over the top (doesn't seem like it, too much momentum away from the wall)? Or is it a jump where you cling to the wall for a short time, then jump over the wall?

If I correctly understand the part you're asking about, it's a grabbing walljump from the very tippy top of the wall to get over all the spikes. It's not enough to climb as high as you can and then jump, you can actually walljump from even higher, with your toes right at the top of the wall. Dashless requires a couple of those and they can be pretty hard. I think the one at the first checkpoint (Crossing) needs you to have forward momentum as you do the walljump maneuver as well.

A snippet of chapter 9 music was leaked, sounds spookycool:
https://twitter.com/celeste_game/status/1088931602841985026?lang=en

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Inferior Third Season posted:

They should update the text in the game when these options are used so that the story is about compulsive self-destructive behavior rather than depression and anxiety.

I mean, deciding to climb a mountain with no preparation or experience isn't exactly a healthy response mental illness. Sure it works out for Madeline but it's usually the kind of story that ends with the person starving / freezing / eaten by a bear.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1098421139099942913

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

...yay?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Oh nooooo

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

:getin:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

So if you pay close attention here you can see a new mechanic. Those rainbow stars appear to grant temporary pink hair.

Sounds fun.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I finally picked this up. I'm having a blast. 180 deaths on Chapter 1 B-side, and 198 deaths on Chapter 2 B-side. Starting chapter 3 now, wish me luck!

RCarr fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 16, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/celeste_game/status/1116470682756403201

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

RCarr posted:

I finally picked this up. I'm having a blast. 180 deaths on Chapter 1 B-side, and 198 deaths on Chapter 2 B-side. Starting chapter 3 now, wish me luck!

I’m now up to chapter 6, and I’m completing the B-sides immediately after each chapter. I’m really loving this game. The difficulty is perfect.