Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Coredump posted:

Thank you for the instant pot thread link. Don't know why i didn't think of that.

It's not a super active thread but if you post and ask questions and stuff people will reply. technically its a "pressure cooker" thread so we get a few of the old school types too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Coredump posted:

Thank you for the instant pot thread link. Don't know why i didn't think of that.

Yeah! Thanks for that! I totally blanked on looking for one too.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

My pressure cooker isn't an instant pot, and it's possible that my cooker would work with 45 minutes. I know I tried 30 minutes and it wasn't long enough, so I just doubled it and liked the result so I kept doing that.

I do 75 instead of 60 when I add veggies because I guess that made sense the first time I did it? The onions are pretty cooked down but I toss in large chunks of carrot so you still have recognizable carrots and a whole lot of onion and carrot flavor in the broth. I just shred the chicken apart and keep it and the veggies in the broth and serve over rice, and it's like a a chicken stew that's been cooking all day.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

My pressure cooker isn't an instant pot, and it's possible that my cooker would work with 45 minutes. I know I tried 30 minutes and it wasn't long enough, so I just doubled it and liked the result so I kept doing that.

I do 75 instead of 60 when I add veggies because I guess that made sense the first time I did it? The onions are pretty cooked down but I toss in large chunks of carrot so you still have recognizable carrots and a whole lot of onion and carrot flavor in the broth. I just shred the chicken apart and keep it and the veggies in the broth and serve over rice, and it's like a a chicken stew that's been cooking all day.

Well instant pot is just the name. Pretty much all the pressure cookers work the same.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

MarcusSA posted:

Well instant pot is just the name. Pretty much all the pressure cookers work the same.

I thought I heard somewhere that some pressure cookers cook at higher pressure than others - I assume that would impact the cooking time. My pressure cooker's timer also starts ticking down the second you close the lid, and I do a fast release at finish, so those also may impact cooking time.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I thought I heard somewhere that some pressure cookers cook at higher pressure than others - I assume that would impact the cooking time. My pressure cooker's timer also starts ticking down the second you close the lid, and I do a fast release at finish, so those also may impact cooking time.

have a long dealio from david arnold

http://www.cookingissues.com/index.html%3Fp=2561.html

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Thanks for this.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Trastion posted:

You can use your Costco Rotisserie Chicken carcasses in your Instant Pot to make the best homemade Chicken Stock. Freeze it into large ice cube trays and then dump in a gallon freezer bag and you have on-demand chicken stock with no preservatives whenever you need it.

Literally just finished doing this an hour ago. And while I was jarring my stock, I put that $1.99/lb Costco pork loin in the Instant Pot to make some shredded pork for dinner. Costco has blessed me today.

I buy one of their rotisserie chickens once every week, and I almost always make stock with the carcass afterwards. I end up with so much stock that I can't even store it all and I end up giving it away to friends, or sometimes even throwing it out. Clearly I need a Costco freezer, but I am a poor renter, and I don't want to have to move the thing every other year.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jack Skeleton posted:

So unless you just want to have a comically oversized Nutella bucket in your kitchen,

It’s this.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can I put nutella on my Mac'n'cheese?

https://www.costco.com/Chef's-Banquet-Macaroni-%2526-Cheese-Storage-Bucket-180-Servings.product.100108871.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Mnemosyne posted:

Literally just finished doing this an hour ago. And while I was jarring my stock, I put that $1.99/lb Costco pork loin in the Instant Pot to make some shredded pork for dinner. Costco has blessed me today.

I buy one of their rotisserie chickens once every week, and I almost always make stock with the carcass afterwards. I end up with so much stock that I can't even store it all and I end up giving it away to friends, or sometimes even throwing it out. Clearly I need a Costco freezer, but I am a poor renter, and I don't want to have to move the thing every other year.

If you have too much stock, just keep reducing it until you get a semi/psuedo demi-glace then freeze it. Even a low effort sorta demi-glace makes pan sauces and stuff really tasty and easy.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

belt posted:

https://www.costco.com/Chef's-Banquet-Macaroni-%2526-Cheese-Storage-Bucket-180-Servings.product.100108871.html

realistically, this poo poo is for paranoid preppers and lovely food service

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
How do am make stock with instantpot?!,!,,

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

belt posted:

The Good Word is spreading but it has become a temporary crisis. We will prevail. PBUC.

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1083737188557377536

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

bob dobbs is dead posted:

realistically, this poo poo is for paranoid preppers and lovely food service

Just preppers. 20 year shelf life. $0.50 a serving.
That may sound cheap but regular ol' Kraft mac and cheese from the grocery store is $0.50 a serving.

That's wholesale quantities of generic mac and cheese at name-brand retail pricing.

You can buy boxed Kraft at Costco for $0.40 a serving.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 12, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chinatown posted:

The Good Word is spreading but it has become a temporary crisis. We will prevail. PBUC.

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1083737188557377536

I guess my question is how long this stays good once you open it.

Good for 20 years is cool and all but if you only have a week to eat it then lol eating 180 servings in a week.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

belt posted:

People,

I know how I'm going to die.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

StupidSexyVaultGuy posted:

People,

I know how I'm going to die.

re-enacting that scene from se7en except its a goon willingly putting an entire bucket of 27 lbs of mac and cheese into their stomach

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MarcusSA posted:

Good for 20 years is cool and all but if you only have a week to eat it then lol eating 180 servings in a week.

Separate packages, a whole heap of little pouches is all. I checked out the ingredients because why not, poo poo has partially hydrogenated oil. No thanks~

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

Xaris posted:

re-enacting that scene from se7en except its a goon willingly putting an entire bucket of 27 lbs of mac and cheese into their stomach

Gonna take a deep breath and try to eat my way out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Separate packages, a whole heap of little pouches is all. I checked out the ingredients because why not, poo poo has partially hydrogenated oil. No thanks~

Oh. I guess that makes sense. I just imagined a huge vat of the poo poo.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Oh. I guess that makes sense. I just imagined a huge vat of the poo poo.

Well this is disappointing.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

MarcusSA posted:

If you’re in a situation where you have to eat that crap, the best by date of noodles probably isn’t your biggest worry.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So it's not dried or anything? Like boil it and eat like Kraft? Just ready in the packet to eat? Tear it open and go to town?

This would be great for my local militia. We like to pretend apocalypse type things. Get in our tactical gear and have our potluck.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This poo poo and other prepper stuff has been for sale forever. Why is it suddenly hitting a viral news cycle?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

This poo poo and other prepper stuff has been for sale forever. Why is it suddenly hitting a viral news cycle?

the whole shebang costing a grand has been around forever, i don't think the individual big buckets have been around forever

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Getting ready for the zombie apocalypse one bucket at a time

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

It’s not a bad idea to have 3-7 days worth of food on hand. But between your pantry and freezer most people are probably good for 99% of emergencies.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

just came back from church. they didnt have deli mustard for my dog, so i had to use plain yellow instead.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

just came back from church. they didnt have deli mustard for my dog, so i had to use plain yellow instead.

That’s happened to me a few times. Not a huge crisis, join your blue collar comrades once in a while.

Out of onion? That’s another story....

naem
May 29, 2011

TheManWithNoName posted:

It’s not a bad idea to have 3-7 days worth of food on hand. But between your pantry and freezer most people are probably good for 99% of emergencies.

you could buy ten cans of dinty moore beef stew, or corned beef hash- both delicious white trash classics- and forget about them in the back of the pantry until you go camping or the power goes out during a three day snowstorm.

maybe have some jugs of water too

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Spam by the case. My church has it. PBUC, I will have musubi for the end of days.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

TheManWithNoName posted:

yeah and also naturally you can go fairly good amount of time (7 days safely) without eating, probably especially goons, without any risk of permanent organ damage. do have shitloads water on hand as it will help as it will flush out ketones and other metbaolites so you can actually go quite a long rear end time without eating if you can keep up the water intake, that's the real problem is not eating and not drinking any water so you can build up some nasty poo poo in your kidneys/liver.

you probably won't have any gas/electricity to cook anything since it'd be shutoff/damaged if there's' an emergency, but you could eat like raw pasta soaked in water and probably cans of beans and tomatoes or w/e, and yeah milk/eggs/cream/cheeses/butter from your fridge are ok to eat raw for a few days (albiet slight risk with raw eggs but it's hugely overstated) and whatever thaws out from your freezer should be fine like normandy blend vegetables raw is will be good.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Oh, I don't need much from Costco, it'll be a quick trip.

-Famous last words, from a time when Renegret was $400 richer
1/12/2019

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I did get COSTCO GAS for the first time though. Ran my car so close to empty that my gas light was on. My wife started flipping out on me that I pulled up to the wrong side of the pump. Thanks to this thread I knew it didn't matter and instead I looked like a super husband.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

Renegret posted:

Oh, I don't need much from Costco, it'll be a quick trip.

-Famous last words, from a time when Renegret was $400 richer
1/12/2019

Also, I strongly advise against going to "look around."

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Renegret posted:

I did get COSTCO GAS for the first time though. Ran my car so close to empty that my gas light was on. My wife started flipping out on me that I pulled up to the wrong side of the pump. Thanks to this thread I knew it didn't matter and instead I looked like a super husband.

Typically when the light comes on you have a couple gallons left.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
I forgot that I bought the 2-pack of marinated artichoke hearts last time I went, and bought another 2. What do I do with a gallon of these

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

therobit posted:

Typically when the light comes on you have a couple gallons left.

Yeah I'll go 30 or 40 miles past the light coming on sometimes in my truck. Good job owning your wife though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Denver got rid of its insane temperance era beer law so now Costco is selling flats of local brews

Hallelujah