Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean, most of the photos you could tell weren't OR license plates etc....

Oregonians 99% do know how to pump gas because you have to pump gas in literally every adjacent state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Torquemada posted:

I can pack faster and more accurately than any convenience store motherfucker on earth and have my debit card ready to pay at the same time. Plus if you pack your own stuff, you can make sure toothpaste doesn’t end up in the fridge bag.

Convenience stores are different. In the grocery store the checkouts aren't even designed for you to pack your own stuff. You either need to awkwardly reach over and around the coin dispenser or move to the end where the bagger stands, and if you do that, you have to move back to the card scanner, squeezing past your cart both times.

Also, lol if all your bags aren't freezer bags.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

sassassin posted:

What do Americans do while the checkout girl scans their items and a teenager haphazardly bags them? Pray? Snack? Recite the pledge of allegiance?

i stare at the screen to make sure i'm not getting ripped off.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Cleretic posted:

I feel like this is gonna be something that dates the modern crop of action shows, too. Although it's Vancouver instead of California, you see a lot of the same buildings turn up again and again.

Then there's how Supergirl hit season 2 and conspicuously stopped going to the California-looking desert outside National City every goddamn episode.
X Files had some of the same problem. The first seasons were in Vancouver so everything was in a forest, then production moved to California so everything is in desert or scrub land, then for the revival a few years ago, Vancouver forests again!

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The amount of laughter at the beginning of the rape scene in All in the Family episode "Edith's 50th Birthday" definitely hasn't aged well. It does address things about rape culture I don't remember hearing about until the 2000s at least. Overall I was kinda impressed with how it was done. They do have Gloria attack Edithhorribly for not going to the cops after they pick the rapist up after he attacks another woman, Edith smacks her, but then Edith is the only one who apologizes. She then goes to the police station with Archie. That part was pretty lovely, but not necessarily dated. They did also have a lot about how going to the police could just end with Edith dragged through the mud before that though? Apparently there was an episode about Gloria going through something similar that I don't remember (tbf I don't remember a lot of the show to begin with). They also had a homophobic joke from Archie that was obviously played for a genuine laugh and not an "Archie is a terrible bigot" laugh that really aged badly.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i stare at the screen to make sure i'm not getting ripped off.

I've had to tell them multiple times that it's just the regular green leaf lettuce, not organic bibb lettuce. Bastards tryna rip me off.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Araenna posted:

The amount of laughter at the beginning of the rape scene in All in the Family episode "Edith's 50th Birthday" definitely hasn't aged well. It does address things about rape culture I don't remember hearing about until the 2000s at least. Overall I was kinda impressed with how it was done. They do have Gloria attack Edithhorribly for not going to the cops after they pick the rapist up after he attacks another woman, Edith smacks her, but then Edith is the only one who apologizes. She then goes to the police station with Archie. That part was pretty lovely, but not necessarily dated. They did also have a lot about how going to the police could just end with Edith dragged through the mud before that though? Apparently there was an episode about Gloria going through something similar that I don't remember (tbf I don't remember a lot of the show to begin with). They also had a homophobic joke from Archie that was obviously played for a genuine laugh and not an "Archie is a terrible bigot" laugh that really aged badly.

Yeah that whole scene is really bizarre.

I wrote an article for ranker a long time ago about vintage tv show episodes that are now like a knife twisting in the heart. Not sure I put it in here. Here are some highlights:

- Patrick Swayze guest stars on MASH and finds out he has cancer
- The Golden Girls decide to stick together forever, and Betty White muses "but what happens when there's only one of us left?"
- said Edith bunker scene

brb my kids have overflowed the toilet

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Jan 11, 2019

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

Araenna posted:

I still find it weird that the live studio audience always laughs, even when serious topics are discussed.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Not a specific episode but I played a bit of a Flintstones game on SNES the other day, and your wife being a nagging harpy is a game mechanic :whitewater:

More specifically your wife yells at you because you just up and left to go find treasure without telling her, and you never actually DO tell her what you're up to because UH OH THE OL' BALL AND CHAIN so she just keeps on wandering the board trying to drag you back home

MARRIAGE IS A PARTNERSHIP FRED TALK TO YOUR loving WIFE YOU SCUMBAG

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Danaru posted:

Not a specific episode but I played a bit of a Flintstones game on SNES the other day, and your wife being a nagging harpy is a game mechanic :whitewater:

More specifically your wife yells at you because you just up and left to go find treasure without telling her, and you never actually DO tell her what you're up to because UH OH THE OL' BALL AND CHAIN so she just keeps on wandering the board trying to drag you back home

MARRIAGE IS A PARTNERSHIP FRED TALK TO YOUR loving WIFE YOU SCUMBAG

Are you complaining about dated social attitudes in a game about literal cavemen?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mamkute posted:

I still find it weird that the live studio audience always laughs, even when serious topics are discussed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SE1SWashuU
A whole lot of laughing about a kid who contracts AIDS.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

muscles like this! posted:

This isn't the Walker Texas Ranger Lever...

insta
Jan 28, 2009

BgRdMchne posted:

I've had to tell them multiple times that it's just the regular green leaf lettuce, not organic bibb lettuce. Bastards tryna rip me off.

I had to ask a cashier to re-weigh my produce because her belly was spilling onto the scale and adding several pounds.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CannonFodder posted:

X Files had some of the same problem. The first seasons were in Vancouver so everything was in a forest, then production moved to California so everything is in desert or scrub land, then for the revival a few years ago, Vancouver forests again!

X-Files deliberately lampshaded that, though.

Highlander was another series that shot in the area. They got around wanting to be set in the Pacific Northwest but filming in Canada by setting the show in the city of Seacouver.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Araenna posted:

...Apparently there was an episode about Gloria going through something similar that I don't remember (tbf I don't remember a lot of the show to begin with)...

Gloria was nearly assaulted walking past a construction site. The detective (Charles Durning!) tried to give her an idea of what to expect at the trial should she decide to press charges. Basically telling her she would be accused of "asking for it".

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mamkute posted:

It's nervous excitement. They premiered the movie Twister in Atlanta since it was Ted Turner's studio and I thought it would be fun to take a date. The crowd laughed and clapped at everything. Like when the first tornado hits and the kid is saved [applause] and then dog is saved [applause] and then the dad dies [applause]. It didn't matter how appropriate or inappropriate it was, people were geared up.

Or maybe an All in the Family production assistance was flashing the applause sign like they were ringing a bell.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mamkute posted:

The vast majority of sitcoms weren't actually in front of a live studio audience.

If anyone is interested in a history of the laugh track, this episode of 99 Percent Invisible was really interesting:
https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/the-laff-box/

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Christopher Hewett was good and funny in that role but my god, the rest of that program stinks on ice. I thought I'd give it a fair shake of a rewatch, since I love old TV, so I picked a couple episodes at random (only making sure that they weren't specifically Very Special Episodes) and hooooooo boy. V. Bad.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Sometimes I wonder if in the case of extreme scenes like the AITF episode where Edith is raped, if the audience isn't laughing so much because "haha it's funny" and more like a shocked "OMG, I can't believe they're -- oh, poo poo they're REALLY going there" sort of a reaction.

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's nervous excitement.

Sorta like this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's one that a picture in the funny pictures thread just reminded me about, which has aged poorly because of technology moving on. The episode of South Park where the boys are running back and forth across town to try and find a television so they can see a trailer for the new Terrence & Phillip movie in the adverts during an episode of Russell Crowe's tv show. Nowadays they'd be running back and forth across town trying to find an Internet connection so they can watch it on YouTube.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I threw on Chappelle's Show last night and it's like 50/50 incredibly funny and hideously, cringeingly bad

It's incredibly loving early 2000s too which is pretty funny.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

purple death ray posted:

I threw on Chappelle's Show last night and it's like 50/50 incredibly funny and hideously, cringeingly bad

Chappelle still maintains that ratio though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Samuringa posted:

Chappelle still maintains that ratio though.

I feel like 50% funny is a little generous, honestly

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Krispy Wafer posted:

Or maybe an All in the Family production assistance was flashing the applause sign like they were ringing a bell.

AITF started out with a live audience and later switched to being shown on video in front of audiences from other CBS sitcoms in its last season.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something that's aged fairly well is the mission statement of Roses of Success from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I love that songs optimistic point of view, that if you gently caress something up, you can often learn from it (although admittedly there are some things you can't recover from)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOyIJVUaoeg

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This was on when I was 10. I thought it was weird then and I think it's kind of weird now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utgXR6k-P1s

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Tony Soprano buying a laser disc player.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Mamkute posted:

They actually did send him to jail, that's why they had to get a replacement Darren.

award for oldest reference of the day for sure

SA: oldest forums on the internet :)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

frankee posted:

The first fast and furious where the team is hijacking a truck of dvds

And the supra plans are on a 3.5 inch disk

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

frankee posted:

In about 10 more years AV snobs will start claiming that Laserdisc is the best way to view movies because of "the warmth of the picture" or something. Probably a few of them right now actually. Like these guys:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Wheat Loaf posted:

This was on when I was 10. I thought it was weird then and I think it's kind of weird now.

I'd never heard of this show, but that clip was horrible. Also, found this in the comments and it seemed worth sharing (bolding mine):

YouTube commenter GoBuckeyes554 posted:

This show is truly horrible for so many reasons I'm going to list them:
1.The animation looks 9th-grade computer graphics awful its truly hideous maybe the worst I've ever seen.
2. The gray dead semi-photorealistic faces of the characters make them look like something from the underworld.
3. Their twisted facial expressions and dead crazy eyes will peer into your soul and haunt your dreams.
4. Angela's voice is grating every time she has a high inflection in her voice my left eye starts to twitch.
5. Its not funny.
6.Worst theme song to a kids show.
7.Angela is a lovely main character and a lunatic her obsession with Nenet (someone who is said to be the antagonist but we never really see her do anything but be a prissy suck up) is fuckin weird.
8. The cutaways are awkward and either unfunny or creepy. Angela has constant fantasies about people (mostly Nenet) that have "wronged her" getting hurt, maimed or them dying. For example she has a fantasy where she's ordering Nenet at a restaurant with plans to eat her, YANNO LIKE A NORMAL CHILD.

Sorry for the rant this show is just putrid.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Solice Kirsk posted:

In about 10 more years AV snobs will start claiming that Laserdisc is the best way to view movies because of "the warmth of the picture" or something. Probably a few of them right now actually. Like these guys:

What happened to that PS1?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rirse posted:

You take the lid off for aesthetics and use it to play CDs for some reason

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rirse posted:

It's living it's best life.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

The weirdest part? The 2001 Digimon movie started with an Angela Anaconda short and it's, magical

Have a look!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8_XBimdBRo

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
oh my god, i thought it looked familiar but i had no memory of watching it... but i watched the hell out of that digimon movie

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Slippery posted:

The first fast and furious where the team is hijacking a truck of dvds

And the supra plans are on a 3.5 inch disk

If only they were DVDs

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

open24hours posted:

If only they were DVDs

oh wow, thanks! I should have known better. Heh, total street value: like, $20

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

On behalf of Canadians everywhere, I'm sorry that we created that... Thing. I have no idea why it was so popular at the time. Even when it aired on TV I would immediately change the channel to anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Solice Kirsk posted:

I see he's using the recording strip from Brainstorm.

The only movie in history where a man kills himself with a recorded ejaculation loop.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 05:18 on Jan 13, 2019