Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

the demo was nicely tense but they should really do something about leon's voice clips during combat, such as eliminate them completely

They felt weirdly synced sometimes too, like I'd expect a "holy fuckin poo poo" kinda reaction when you first see a zombie pop out, but I had times when he just kinda blurted it out after he'd already popped the zombie in the head a couple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

JBP posted:

Sorry Ace Combat and Kingdom Hearts, you're just gonna have to wait until next month. In for the deluxe version. Great demo; slavering for more.

I already preordered KH3 when there was a pricing error years ago, but I think I'm getting RE2 instead of Ace Combat, that demo was amazing. The trailer at the end just got me real hyped.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Chomposaur posted:

They felt weirdly synced sometimes too, like I'd expect a "holy fuckin poo poo" kinda reaction when you first see a zombie pop out, but I had times when he just kinda blurted it out after he'd already popped the zombie in the head a couple times.

Well if something keeps moving after take a bullet to the cranium I'd mutter something too. :v:

But yeah I hope they tune that a little differently in the final product. I hope it changes accordingly with Leon/claire getting more Z slaying experience. Perhaps they could make it so that near the end of the game they sound non-plussed.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Pyrolocutus posted:

Is the deluxe edition just costumes DLC?

You also get the original PS1 soundtrack to swap in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mindblast posted:

Well if something keeps moving after take a bullet to the cranium I'd mutter something too. :v:

But yeah I hope they tune that a little differently in the final product. I hope it changes accordingly with Leon/claire getting more Z slaying experience. Perhaps they could make it so that near the end of the game they sound non-plussed.

By the end of the game he's making terrible puns. Shoots off a zombie's arm? "Looks like you need a HAND"

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

man nurse posted:

Also:
-Deluxe Weapon: "Samurai Edge - Albert Model"
(whatever that is).

So 5 costumes, the old soundtrack, and what will either be a flashy looking or broken weapon. I don't see that as being worth $10 more personally.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

man nurse posted:

Think I'm gonna go deluxe for this

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

acksplode posted:

Think I'm gonna go deluxe for this

I feel like I have to for the Elza Walker skin.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got really into the RE1.5 lore a few months ago and read all about this one guy from the communitys quest to get his hands on it. The childish drama that went on over that was insane. How many other classic games had late stage versions that never or almost never seen the light of day? There was also RE4 with the hookman and Diablo 3 had some very different leaked screenshots years before the eventual disappointment launched

Vakal
May 11, 2008

codo27 posted:

How many other classic games had late stage versions that never or almost never seen the light of day?

The Duke Nukem 3D Alpha is very different from the final game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3u2ISng0MU

The was also the original version of Starcraft that was ridiculed so much when Blizzard first demoed it at one of their cons that they completely scrapped it and started over again. I'm not sure if there is any gameplay footage of it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52XKCuxDMzo

Vakal fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 13, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wanted to try and backstab (I know I'm a moron) a zombie that was using a vending machine and slashed it. It's arm like, sloughed off onto the floor from the cut and it was horrible.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I kinda wish Leon could still german suplex the zombies. I guess he hasn't learned that yet though

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

By the end of the game he's making terrible puns. Shoots off a zombie's arm? "Looks like you need a HAND"

Your right hand comes off?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

codo27 posted:

I got really into the RE1.5 lore a few months ago and read all about this one guy from the communitys quest to get his hands on it. The childish drama that went on over that was insane. How many other classic games had late stage versions that never or almost never seen the light of day? There was also RE4 with the hookman and Diablo 3 had some very different leaked screenshots years before the eventual disappointment launched

I was involved in that drama about .. a decade ago actually.

Some guy got his hands on the game from somewhere and made arrangements to sell it inside the RE community but ended up selling it to someone else instead (iirc, his story was that he had offered to sell it to the person he ended up selling it to first, he didn't follow through, so he took it to "market" and then the first guy came back and bought it for the agreed price, which turned out to be a few hundred bucks)

the new owner then promptly began lording it over everyone and said he'd never ever rip it.

At the time me (offering cash) and someone else (offering unique PSX protos that had never been ripped at the time) offered to trade / buy it from him, but it never went anywhere - we had some lengthy emails going about it.

I believe it's the guy that owns this site who has it, but I could be mis-remembering - it has been a decade after all.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

Also:
-Deluxe Weapon: "Samurai Edge - Albert Model"
(whatever that is).

So 5 costumes, the old soundtrack, and what will either be a flashy looking or broken weapon. I don't see that as being worth $10 more personally.

I have an absurd love of the original game and its soundtrack so I'm definitely getting the deluxe edition lol

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good soup! posted:

I have an absurd love of the original game and its soundtrack so I'm definitely getting the deluxe edition lol

It would be hilarious if they released the fake deaf guy one.

EDIT: Sorry thought you meant the original game (RE1).

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 13, 2019

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Good soup! posted:

Been too long since I played it, so I'm okay without. I'm going to hope for a deluxe DLC upgrade in the store post-launch however, which I would hypothetically get on sale at a later date.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

personally I love Leon's little "ah, poo poo" inflections as they feel pretty real i.e. what most of us would be saying randomly in the midst of this.

not too into Leon's bonus costumes---it seems like they missed an extremely easy layup by not offering an RE4 costume with the suede jacket.

Also hoping we get fully-rendered endings that the original RE2/3 only hinted at with text i.e. the foreshadowing of Leon's government work, Sherry being taken in, Barry Burton's confirmed existence, etc.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

personally I love Leon's little "ah, poo poo" inflections as they feel pretty real i.e. what most of us would be saying randomly in the midst of this.

Leon has a good sense of humor for a guy who he is having the worst first day at a job ever.

Just played the demo and loved every minute. I haven't played any of the RE's except the first remake and I didn't really like but this looks amazing. The visuals are superb, the gameplay feels a lot tighter as well and the atmosphere is truly horrifying. Will get it on PC.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

the foreshadowing of Leon's government work
I wonder if by changing the story a bit so Leon proactively goes to the RPD after never getting called in (Instead of missing his first day because he was in a drunken stupor over a breakup or whatever) isn't meant to build up to that a bit.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
So I mentioned that I'd check into the whole Crimson Head thing. Haven't really looked into all the other REmake stuff like what the Hunters replace and all that yet, but I did get some interesting stuff about the red-head boys, and some other observances I either didn't know or found interesting. Just for notekeeping purposes, I was playing the PS4 port on Normal with Chris on a new game plus, and was primarily using the Samurai Edge unlockable. I also did not leave the Mansion yet.

-First off, I tried a Jill run first but accidentally used a save file that had 'One Dangerous Zombie' unlocked and didn't realize it. Proceeded to die to the first Forrest encounter. Whoops! But it did give me some data for the next point.

-It *seems* like Chris gets more lucky critical hits than Jill. As Jill I managed four lucky crit head explosions (including an instant dog kill) by the point you run into ODZ Forrest on the upper dining room balcony, which would be around when you're getting the armor key. I think I hit my fourth crit much earlier, in the East Stairwell hall. Stats wise, any room with more than one zombie in it I got a crit, and in the East 1st Floor Hall (the one with the sole mansion bathroom) where four zombies burst in, I got two.

-Killed every zombie the moment I encountered them, following a roughly speed-runner friendly route but still visiting every room. By the time I finished the mansion and the Crimson Head Boss fight, I killed everything in the mansion (for another part of the 'testing,' namely where Hunters spawn and what they replace, which'll be tested later)

-At least on Normal (and PS4 and Christ and NG+ if those matter), Crimson Heads do *not* seem to wake up or even spawn until after the first mandatory one rises. We waited about forty minutes and did a full circuit of the parts of the house that are accessible without the armor key, and none of them rose.

-Crimson Heads spawning/rising seems... kind of random? The first one I encountered besides the mandatory one was the first zombie I killed (the one that kills Kenneth), which made sense... but the sole remaining zombie body in the next zombie room (the Arrow Hallway) didn't rise until after the snake fight, despite being the next oldest body. By the point I saved and called it a night, after the Crimson Head boss and doing a tour of the house, there were still two bodies which hadn't risen as Crimson Heads (one of the zombies in the East Stairwell Hall and one of the four that burst into the East 1st Floor Hall).

-It definitely seems like the zombies have their own timers/trigger points, quite possibly both. I did frequent time-wasting tours of the house to see if the bodies woke up, but the next 'crop' always seemed to come up after a major puzzle or cutscene, such as Rebecca playing the piano.

-Crimson Heads *aren't* as rough as I was lead to believe. Don't get me wrong, this was with the benefit of reasonably good play and an infinite ammo faster handgun, but they seem to be staggered and dropped easily. In 'normal' play they'd probably be a bit worse, because if you're leaving lots of zombie corpses around you've probably burned through a lot of your ammo, but they aren't the worst things to deal with.

-Chris without a weapon can outpace Crimson Heads easily. Not sure about Jill.

-I wasn't aware of this, but you *can* blow off legs for an instant kill and zombie revival prevention with pistol crits and presumably the magnum or shotgun. This lead to a lot of laughs at my expense as we were drinking and playing, because of course that kept reducing the pool of Crimson Head test subjects.

-The vast majority of Crimson Heads played possum and lay still until passed. Interestingly enough, you will auto-aim to Crimson Heads on the ground if you aim, and you can sneak in some damage by shooting them early. I'm not sure if it works on the mandatory Crimson Head, however. Only one during that run was already awake when I arrived in the room (the Kenneth Hall zombie). You can get rather close to a Crimson Head playing possum, presumably for the 'scare' where you try to light them on fire, so you can just pop them with a shotgun or something if you've made a mess of the Mansion.

-Another factoid I wasn't aware of: the 'regular' Forrest zombie in the Grenade Launcher balcony will disappear after death regardless of whether or not he was head-shot or burned, and thus will not be a Crimson Head.

(Edited for clarity.)

Mountain Lightning fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 13, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ulio posted:

Leon has a good sense of humor for a guy who he is having the worst first day at a job ever.

There's a reason Leon ends up on presidential security detail. The dude rocks up at a bombed out PD days after society explodes like "yo are we having a briefing this morning or what?"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mr E posted:

I feel like I have to for the Elza Walker skin.

All in for the Noir skin, personally.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Holy hell I want to play this poo poo right now

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

SgtScruffy posted:

I got five minutes in. Nothing scary had happened to that point, just walking around outside in broad daylight, then walking around in a spooky house with no enemies or jump scares. That was scary enough to make me stop playing and just play it "regular". I am so thankful I didn't continue 5 more minutes in VR because that's when poo poo started happening and I probably would have poo poo myself.

I'd be looking to pick it up for PSVR, but I've got the original on PC (with a decent setup). I've heard that the graphics take a bit of a hit on the PSVR, is that true and if so does it impact the scariness factor?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I never played Leon B back in the day so I’m rectifying that mistake right now.

The demo has guaranteed a day one purchase from me I have to say.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Any tips for using the knife? My experience so far has been 'slashes ineffectively once, gets bitten in the neck'

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Renoistic posted:

Any tips for using the knife? My experience so far has been 'slashes ineffectively once, gets bitten in the neck'

I snuck up behind a zombie and slashed him twice and his arm came off in a disgusting, awful way so you know... I still had to shoot him in the head but he's never getting that arm back.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Demo was good, time limit added a bit more tension though - I got the key but felt there was more to explore upstairs so never made it back to starvin Marvin so didn't complete it, woops. The zombies got me a couple of times in a really awkward way, they were on the floor (or falling to it), grabbed the leg then there was a drawn out animation as they stood all the way up and bit Leon. Whereas in previous games they'd have got their head kicked in. Plus after pushing them off the camera would reset so you'd be looking in completely the wrong place, leading to a repeat of the same awkwardness while trying to aim at them properly. Hope that's different in the finished product!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Renoistic posted:

Knock zombie down with ammo. Slash at zombie when on ground. Worked for pretty much all of RE4 ganados enemies.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Good soup! posted:

they did a stream of it recently, the soundtrack swap even swaps menu and item box sound effects.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Xbox people, if you've an extra MS account, you can log-in with a second profile and play the demo again. I have my account on gfs Xbox and I played it first with mine, just decided to try again with hers and it worked fine. Finished it this time too! 20:44.

I gotta echo the sentiments about Leon's banter. Hopefully it can be disabled in the final.

I'm still short most of the guts for my new PC, and cant really afford to spend the kind of money required to get the parts I want.. but god drat it, the more I play this game the closer I get to just saying gently caress it and splurging.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Vikar Jerome posted:

they did a stream of it recently, the soundtrack swap even swaps menu and item box sound effects.

oh my god

Now I'm seriously considering cancelling my standard edition preorder and going for deluxe

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

oh my god

Now I'm seriously considering cancelling my standard edition preorder and going for deluxe

i think you'll be able to buy it separately on psn after while, going by re7 here but every single one of its pre-order bonuses is up to buy. at least thats what im counting on anyway, no physical edition here comes with the deluxe stuff except the 200 quid collectors item. i had to settle for the stealbook with eliza walker outfit.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 13, 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

oh poo poo didn't even know there was a steelbook. gonna have to cancel my amazon order and get the best buy one.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

the steelbook looks awsome.

very close to the original uk re2 case at least.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That bold red font and cover is timeless, they should've kept it

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think I had ever seen the US cover before

it's uh...

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Perfect, is what it is. That's the one that sits in the hutch of my desk today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kin posted:

I'd be looking to pick it up for PSVR, but I've got the original on PC (with a decent setup). I've heard that the graphics take a bit of a hit on the PSVR, is that true and if so does it impact the scariness factor?

The graphics are worse in PSVR. Resolution is lower, real time shadows are gone, and you lose all the postprocessing that makes the game look like a found-footage movie. But the immersion makes it significantly scarier.