Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

fritz posted:

i write c, and while i can assure you that yes its nearly as bad as my posts, i dont ever want to touch the javascript again

at least c is pretty clear on the types and where you put them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Plorkyeran posted:

did you completely miss that 10 year period where everyone loved dynamic typing and thought that static types were just a legacy thing that used to be required for good performance?

probably, i didn't program until 2011

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

it’s huge fun writing dynamically typed programs and it fuckin sucks to maintain them

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

AWWNAW posted:

it’s huge fun writing dynamically typed programs and it fuckin sucks to maintain them

:hmmyes:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it absolutely isn't fun to write them. i like my errors same as my coffee: at compile time

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i'm the NullPointerException at runtime

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

whose stack trace has been elided as a performance optimization

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

AWWNAW posted:

whose stack trace has been elided as a performance optimization

pretend i posted a stack trace entirely comprised of files in spring boot

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1083814625035067392

mystes
May 31, 2006

AWWNAW posted:

it’s huge fun writing dynamically typed programs until you try to run them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if I wanted to generate an 8 diget alphanumeric hash to name a url are there any tricks I need to know

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Make sure it spells naughty words often

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Do you prefer substr or substring?

code:
Warning: Although String.prototype.substr(…) is not strictly deprecated (as in "removed from the Web standards"), it is considered a legacy function and should be avoided when possible. It is not part of the core JavaScript language and may be removed in the future. If at all possible, use the substring() method instead.
Just :google: MDN + [javascript thinghy] and learn how to use the language correctly for modern standards.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Blinkz0rz posted:

if you get into a place where you have questions about your types you're probably writing bad code anyway

Blinkz0rz posted:

the terrible programmers are coming from inside the thread

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Blinkz0rz posted:

pretend i posted a stack trace entirely comprised of files in spring boot

i’ve got a full stack trace of my code and lemme tell ya, I’m mad as hell about it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Blinkz0rz posted:

loving christ i wish i could get something as well-defined as a NullPointerException in dynamically typed languages

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

loving christ i wish i could get something as well-defined as a NullPointerException in dynamically typed languages

the error always means your object's interface doesn't match what the receiver expected. just like statically typed languages. the only difference, with dynamic typing, you don't know it's a problem until runtime, and for some reason it's still supposed to be your fault

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sapozhnik posted:

death pyramid callback hell

mods

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
a ton of smart people have worked hard to make javascript usable in a browser. it’s much better than it used to be and it’s amazing what’s been accomplished.

but there are exactly 0 reasons to execute javascript outside your browser, there are so many better options. the only javascript you should execute outside your browser is your flavor of webpack, and even that should have been written in a good language.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

florida lan posted:

staring at modern webapps (including ours) saddens me.

i have fond memories of a time long long ago when i was briefly employed as a web dev, and in absence of any actual education or training from my employer on how to do web dev, watching some nice video made by google engineers about how html provided the content, css provided formatting, and javascript provided dynamic modifications of the other two based on user action. it was such a beautiful separation of concerns.

now html is a stub document with a bunch of script tags and a splash logo to display while said scripts construct a document with actual content and styling using some nonsense involving 14 layers of functions with single-character names.

i have become angry outdated old so much sooner than i thought.

no, they were right and you’re right, and this way of making web pages and calling them “apps” is wrong

web pages are for displaying information; putting the information to display someplace other than the HTML and putting any styling someplace other than the CSS is Doing It Wrong

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Yes it turns out that a document typesetting system makes a poor user interface toolkit

sapozhnik is right

Shaggar posted:

lol no. javascript is a horrible, horrible language and all the tooling in the world cant fix it. also all the tooling is terrible

shaggar is right

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

it should be compared to c# and java which are much better languages and were an option at the time javascript really started to become a problem.

scheme was also an option, seriously considered

if only jwz had done the scripting instead of eich; jwz could actually look at and integrate scheme48, but eich threw up his hands at figuring out how to integrate anything and wrote his own babbys first C-like with lex & yacc instead

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

someone linked an article about blockchain card games and i wanted to hate read it but i couldn't because the news site was an SPA and it didn't work

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

eschaton posted:

no, they were right and you’re right, and this way of making web pages and calling them “apps” is wrong

actually it’s good because it means I, a backend developer, never need to touch javascript.

for every other reason it is bad.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

dont worry guys webasm will save us

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

eschaton posted:

scheme was also an option, seriously considered

if only jwz had done the scripting instead of eich; jwz could actually look at and integrate scheme48, but eich threw up his hands at figuring out how to integrate anything and wrote his own babbys first C-like with lex & yacc instead

what could’ve been :(

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Ex coworker hit me up on hangouts yesterday. The marketing director was put in charge of engineering.
When that happened, he quit so hard he didn’t just quit, he quit, packed his bags, and moved to Seattle with his wife without even telling anybody he quit. He doesn’t even have a job yet in Seattle. :allears:

This leaves the Ex company without any programmers and nobody to pass documentation on to. I expect the company to not last more than a year.

I got him an interview with my current company.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 13, 2019

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

AWWNAW posted:

what could’ve been :(

people often react to my “we could’ve had scheme” with “but then client side scripting never would have taken off!”

as if that’s some sort of downside

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

ratbert90 posted:

Ex coworker hit me up on hangouts yesterday. The marketing director was put in charge of engineering.
When that happened, he quit so hard he didn’t just quit, he quit, packed his bags, and moved to Seattle with his wife without even telling anybody he quit. He doesn’t even have a job yet in Seattle. :allears:

This leaves the Ex company without any programmers and nobody to pass documentation on to. I expect the company to not last more than a year.

more like a month, unless the company is selling something other than the work you and the other engineers were doing

how big was this company?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

also after his company folds, contact the CEO with openings you have available

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ratbert90 posted:

purest schadenfreude on earth. the ghawar and safaniya of schadenfreude

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ThePeavstenator posted:

more like a month, unless the company is selling something other than the work you and the other engineers were doing

how big was this company?

35 employees. They can keep using the third party engineering company, but it will cost them poo poo loads of money and they can drop them whenever.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ThePeavstenator posted:

also after his company folds, contact the CEO with openings you have available

He is antisemitic and is genuinely crazy.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

eschaton posted:

people often react to my “we could’ve had scheme” with “but then client side scripting never would have taken off!”

as if that’s some sort of downside

another plausible outcome would have been: client side scripting takes off, but in vbscript

perhaps we should count our blessings

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Soricidus posted:

another plausible outcome would have been: client side scripting takes off, but in vbscript

this would have been the outcome if microsoft had had its way

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

ratbert90 posted:

He is antisemitic and is genuinely crazy.

yikes

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, in western Michigan, old Dutch people tend to hate Jews for some reason. He also rants about the banks and how the Jews won't give the business more credit.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

you’re living the dream

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

vbscript is unironically better than javascript

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

vbscript is unironically better than javascript

"should we implement all visual basic's error handling modes?"
"nah, the ones that branch to an error handling subroutine like try/catch in other languages are too complicated, just give them on error resume next. i'm sure everyone will definitely check the err object at appropriate times instead of just taking it as carte blanche to ignore everything and hope for the best"
-- the meeting where microsoft put as much effort into designing vbscript as netscape put into designing javascript