Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hilarious, my friend. The absolute pinnacle of humour.

Look, you know i don't care much about spoilers or i wouldn't be browsing this thread right now. It's still quite rude to respond to a post in which i literally say "don't tell me" by telling me.

Surely if you yourself have judged that whatever you're telling is unimportant, them nobody else in the world will find it important!

Ok I'm done arguing about spoiler culture because of Flynn's outfit now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think they must've removed some/all of the synthesis gotchas in the ps3 version of Vesperia. You can easily synthesise all the base weapons of every character, so even if you sell them you aren't screwed.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
They have fixed that in the PS3 version, yes. In particular, Karol's base weapon can now be re-synthed.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think I'm getting the feeling that Karol is Alvin 0.5. Or rather, he will be Alvin 0.5 once I get 20 more skills for him that actually enable his mighty charge playstyle.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Amppelix posted:

I think I'm getting the feeling that Karol is Alvin 0.5. Or rather, he will be Alvin 0.5 once I get 20 more skills for him that actually enable his mighty charge playstyle.

He is exactly this but way more broken once he has his skillset

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Amppelix posted:

I think they must've removed some/all of the synthesis gotchas in the ps3 version of Vesperia. You can easily synthesise all the base weapons of every character, so even if you sell them you aren't screwed.

On top of this, from what I can tell, shops add items to their inventory rather than replace it periodically so you don’t have to worry about buying the exact right things at the exact right time.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Is Flynn's character portrait in the status screen suppose to be blank? I also had some audio glitches in the shop menus about 4 times now.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Lord Ephraim posted:

Is Flynn's character portrait in the status screen suppose to be blank?

The first time he joins you, yes, since they didn't make artwork for him in his first outfit. Anytime after that he should have one. It's weird but it was already like that on PS3, so it's normal.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

When do you get the option to fast travel? That prompt to Fly every time I check the world map for shop info is taunting me so hard.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^e. You get the boat pretty early into Act 2 when you go back to Torim, and you get the ability to fly maybe ~5 or so hours after.

It's funny because in his portrait he is very clearly wearing his captain's outfit anyway, so if you're not going to bother fixing his portrait just give us his character art, too.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 13, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm playing PS4 Vesperia How do I make them do the formation commands? The D-pad just makes me use an overlimit thing.

Professor_Dog
Mar 6, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I'm playing PS4 Vesperia How do I make them do the formation commands? The D-pad just makes me use an overlimit thing.

Use Triangle to go into the in battle menu then hold L1 and select which command with the D-Pad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Professor_Dog posted:

Use Triangle to go into the in battle menu then hold L1 and select which command with the D-Pad.

Ohhh, you have to hold L1 as well. Okay got it. Thanks a bunch!

Has anyone used the free level ups before getting the full party? Do they apply to everyone?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

RareAcumen posted:

Has anyone used the free level ups before getting the full party? Do they apply to everyone?

I haven’t used them but party members always join at your level

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

eh, after playing with it a little bit i'm going to stay of the mind that playing on harder difficulties in the older Tales games on a first playthrough is a losing proposition, as it's just increasing the tedium of every fight for little benefit (as far as I could tell, you just get more grade and that's it, which doesn't really help with easing that playthrough). it seems to be meant to be rectified with being at a higher level which just makes me want to turn it down instead of grinding (or in the case of this release, using the level boosters).

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Goddamn, the Giganto theme is one spicy battle theme.

Evidently Namco-Bandai agrees since they keep reusing it but the original version is the best.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Phantasium posted:

eh, after playing with it a little bit i'm going to stay of the mind that playing on harder difficulties in the older Tales games on a first playthrough is a losing proposition, as it's just increasing the tedium of every fight for little benefit (as far as I could tell, you just get more grade and that's it, which doesn't really help with easing that playthrough). it seems to be meant to be rectified with being at a higher level which just makes me want to turn it down instead of grinding (or in the case of this release, using the level boosters).
All the bosses in this game so far have been actual tough poo poo, but I'm getting to the point where I'm mopping the floor with any random mooks i encounter, which gets a bit annoying. I can't turn it to hard or I'll be owned by the first surprise boss I run into, but I'd like it if encounters had, you know, some amount of challenge? And they could last longer than 10 seconds too?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Is the arte sphere new? I don't think I remember it from the 360 version. Having eight artes without compromising your ability to give commands to the AI is pretty nifty.

Amppelix posted:

All the bosses in this game so far have been actual tough poo poo, but I'm getting to the point where I'm mopping the floor with any random mooks i encounter, which gets a bit annoying. I can't turn it to hard or I'll be owned by the first surprise boss I run into, but I'd like it if encounters had, you know, some amount of challenge? And they could last longer than 10 seconds too?

Mooks being cannon fodder and bosses being tough was the norm back when Vesperia came out: Symphonia and Abyss are the same. It wasn't until Graces where random non-boss battles could really start to gently caress you up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

Is the arte sphere new? I don't think I remember it from the 360 version. Having eight artes without compromising your ability to give commands to the AI is pretty nifty.

The eight arte one was in the 360 version. I feel like there's another one that was in the PS3 version too that let you have 12 or 16 but I'm not 100% sure on that. Despite making you unlock air recovers and the ability to throw items to people or swap characters in battle, that's the one thing they didn't gate behind something.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sydin posted:

Mooks being cannon fodder and bosses being tough was the norm back when Vesperia came out: Symphonia and Abyss are the same. It wasn't until Graces where random non-boss battles could really start to gently caress you up.
I mean, yes, but it feels worse here than it did in those other games. Maybe I'm just in a weird spot with the level curve right now and it'll fix itself soon enough.

E: this is completely unrelated to anything above but I just got Genis' weapon for Rita and it hit me how ridiculous it is that every single weapon shop in Symphonia sells progressively more blinged out versions of a ball and cup toy. How have I never ever thought about this before, what the gently caress

and then there's also poo poo like the ball and cup devil arm. one of the nine cursed tools of destruction, the horrible children's toy

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 14, 2019

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

The eight arte one was in the 360 version. I feel like there's another one that was in the PS3 version too that let you have 12 or 16 but I'm not 100% sure on that. Despite making you unlock air recovers and the ability to throw items to people or swap characters in battle, that's the one thing they didn't gate behind something.

The four buttons Artes and four right stick Artes are default in all versions of the game. The PS3 version added an item that allows you to set another set of eight onto L1 + the existing mappings, which is the Artes Sphere they are talking about.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

How is skill learning calculated in Vesperia? The game hasn't exactly been clear about this, you don't just earn skill points after fights or something.

Asking because I'm now at the point where I have an absolutely overwhelming amount of equipment available, increasing at a pace I am not keeping up with, which all have skills I want to learn. I'm thinking it's time to give up the idea that I'll just learn everything as I play the game normally and grind these out, but what exactly am I grinding? Can I just go beat up level 1 monsters?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

You do actually just get them at the end of battles, it's that mysterious "LP" value in the top right on the results screen. Each enemy drops a certain amount of them, and each skill takes a certain amount of them to learn.

There may or may not be also multipliers based on what equipment you try to learn the skill from; I've never actually confirmed if that's the case, but there is a value listed next to each equipment's skill in the game data.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 14, 2019

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ

Amppelix posted:

How is skill learning calculated in Vesperia? The game hasn't exactly been clear about this, you don't just earn skill points after fights or something.

Asking because I'm now at the point where I have an absolutely overwhelming amount of equipment available, increasing at a pace I am not keeping up with, which all have skills I want to learn. I'm thinking it's time to give up the idea that I'll just learn everything as I play the game normally and grind these out, but what exactly am I grinding? Can I just go beat up level 1 monsters?

Most weapons have special skills attached to them that grant beneficial (or sometimes harmful) effects, such as raising your attack and defense.

Weapon Skill effects will be active so long as the specific weapon that houses those skills is equipped.

Any skill that a weapon has can be permanently learned, therefore giving you the option to equip and unequip those skills at will regardless of the weapon you have equipped.

These skills can be permanently learned by simply having the weapon with the desired skills equipped when battling to earn LP.

Once enough LP has been accumulated, the Weapon Skill will be learned and added to your inventory.

There is a catch, however. You can't just equip as many Weapon Skills as you want.

If you want to equip a Weapon Skill without having that particular weapon equipped, it will take a certain amount of Skill Points to do so.

In general, the better the Weapon Skill, the more Skill Points it takes to equip it. You can gain more Skill Points to equip more Weapon Skills by simply leveling up.

There are hundreds of skills and they are broken up into four categories: Attack Skills. Guard Skills. Move Skills. And Support Skills.

In addition to the base effects of each Weapon Skill, by equipping several Weapon Skills from various categories, you will also earn the benefits of a Skill Symbol.

Skill Symbols come into effect during Over Limit and will grant you various benefits.

The effects will also be more powerful based on what level of Over Limit you enter. The types of Weapon Symbols, the Weapon Skills needed to activate them, and the effects are listed below.

Here's a guide I'd copied this from.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Baffan/status/1084752012607176705

Bamco gave the guy who got the 'yeah not that one' response all those years ago a free copy of the collector's edition of vespy hd. that's actually cool of them, lol

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Amppelix posted:

I mean, yes, but it feels worse here than it did in those other games. Maybe I'm just in a weird spot with the level curve right now and it'll fix itself soon enough.

E: this is completely unrelated to anything above but I just got Genis' weapon for Rita and it hit me how ridiculous it is that every single weapon shop in Symphonia sells progressively more blinged out versions of a ball and cup toy. How have I never ever thought about this before, what the gently caress

and then there's also poo poo like the ball and cup devil arm. one of the nine cursed tools of destruction, the horrible children's toy

To be fair, if it weren't for Genis being dumb and weird, his weapons could be slightly oddly shaped hammers. Maybe he buys those and ties a ball to them.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 15, 2019

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/Baffan/status/1084752012607176705

Bamco gave the guy who got the 'yeah not that one' response all those years ago a free copy of the collector's edition of vespy hd. that's actually cool of them, lol

That's pretty cool. I hope he hadn't already bought it!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The more skills I get the more I think SP was really not a necessary element in Vesperia. Or, at the very least, characters should have way more SP. Please tell me at some point in the game I actually start having more than enough SP to actually equip all the skills I want instead of half of them.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Amppelix posted:

The more skills I get the more I think SP was really not a necessary element in Vesperia. Or, at the very least, characters should have way more SP. Please tell me at some point in the game I actually start having more than enough SP to actually equip all the skills I want instead of half of them.

You do. Tiny post-game mechanics spoiler: If you're really patient there's a grade shop item that makes every skill cost 1 so you can equip all of them at once.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

Amppelix posted:

Yes, you'll have enough, if taking more time to get the SP to do so. Unfortunately, these kinds of things are meant to enlongate the game.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

Ershalim posted:

You do. Tiny post-game mechanics spoiler: If you're really patient there's a grade shop item that makes every skill cost 1 so you can equip all of them at once.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That's just making me question the purpose of SP even more. Skills are already balanced out naturally by how you only acquire them by progressing through the game and getting new weapons. Why need the second limiter at all? It seems to only be there to make you feel bad. Like it's not enough that you have to earn the right to normal combat features, you also have to look at all these nice toys you can't have because you need those combat features.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

Amppelix posted:

That's just making me question the purpose of SP even more. Skills are already balanced out naturally by how you only acquire them by progressing through the game and getting new weapons. Why need the second limiter at all? It seems to only be there to make you feel bad. Like it's not enough that you have to earn the right to normal combat features, you also have to look at all these nice toys you can't have because you need those combat features.

It's a really silly mechanic. Honestly, TOV's new game plus is better because the grade shop fixes all of that silliness.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Speaking of the grade shop, does the old overlimit + minimum damage + tidal wave trick with Rita still work in this new version, or am I going to have to grind hack in my 9999 grade instead?

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Sydin posted:

Speaking of the grade shop, does the old overlimit + minimum damage + tidal wave trick with Rita still work in this new version, or am I going to have to grind hack in my 9999 grade instead?

She can still do that. With 8 bars to work with it's even easier now.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

Ershalim posted:

She can still do that. With 8 bars to work with it's even easier now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idklne_aotw

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The big mystery about what's really happening in the world is building up, but I think the Yuri/Flynn plot is really the best writing the game has presented me with so far, by a mile. In fact I would say I'm really impressed with it. I hope it doesn't get pushed off to a C-plot or something.

E: Now that I've got Patty in the permanent party, it's pretty funny how she stands out even more than normal in the english dub because whenever Yuri turns to speak to her his voice suddenly jumps a tiny bit higher. I just saw a scene where there was some Troy Baker, then Patty interjected and suddenly Grant George is here, then Patty runs off and now Troy Baker comes back again to say "alright now where was I"

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 15, 2019

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/Amppelix/status/1085291602279428096

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
tbf it's also an extremely smooth scene segue

e: I don't know what exactly the deal is with the Triverse people but it can't be more obvious than Patty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Amppelix posted:

E: Now that I've got Patty in the permanent party, it's pretty funny how she stands out even more than normal in the english dub because whenever Yuri turns to speak to her his voice suddenly jumps a tiny bit higher. I just saw a scene where there was some Troy Baker, then Patty interjected and suddenly Grant George is here, then Patty runs off and now Troy Baker comes back again to say "alright now where was I"

It's not just Yuri, same thing happens with a lot of other characters too, even side characters. I get that getting VA's to come back and reprise old roles isn't a slam dunk in the West the way it is in Japan, and I don't mind if the voices change scene to scene, but when you go from Voice A -> Voice B -> Voice A within ten seconds of dialogue its pretty jarring. I don't want to play in Japanese because for the most part I really like the English voice work, so I'm sucking it up, but it is unfortunate.

Also Patty's integration into the game in general is spotty. There are some points where the devs did a really great job organically weaving her plot into the party's, and if I'd played this game first I'd never know there was a version without her. OTOH there are just as many scenes as well where you can tell the devs had no clue what do do with her, so they just placed her model off to the side and had her chime in meaningless banter that nobody acknowledges once, before staying silent the rest of the scene.

Flynn has been even worse: he's only joined the party once so far, and when he did it made zero sense. "Hey all I'm here to honorably duel the villain and bring him to justice. Why yes I did apparently get sent on this mission alone, despite being a lieutenant with large company of soldiers at my command. Now everybody leave so I can solo this dungeon in the name of the Empire. What, you won't leave? Ugh fine, I guess we can team up." :psyduck: