Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Fart City posted:

I mean have you seen the latter Hellraiser sequels?

It’s gotten pretty dire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Part 6 is the best F13 film and most self aware. Its easily the first F13 film to wink and nod at the camera where 8 just goes full force. 8 does though have one of the most brutal kills in the series though and its not the boxing match its the disco room kill on the boat.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Part 6 is the best F13 film

gently caress yea

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I think in terms of top kills...

X: Nitrogen freeze head smash
7: Sleeping bag bash

I was going to make a whole list but I’m sort of forgetting the kills right now, it’s too early in the morning. Those two are good though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The kill I like in X is the backbreaker he does to the skinny kid. Not for the move itself, but just afterwards, when the body flips over and flops to the floor.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I let out a audible chuckle when Frozen Jason fell over and hacked the dreadlocked kids arm off.

Jason X might not be a good movie but it’s entertaining as heck and I’ll take it over 3 any day.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II are legitimately good horror movies.

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth and Hellraiser IV: Bloodline are amusing schlock, worth it for the fans.

The rest of the movies are absolute garbage and a waste of time.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Hellraiser Inferno is just fine :colbert:

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
Am I missing something with Hellraiser? I thought it was really boring, and I’m the type of person who gets a little wet for slowburn horror that most people consider boring.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Best kills
-Arrow through the neck
-Frozen smashed face
-Double spearing (a la Twitch of the Death Nerve)
-Roadflare in the mouth
-Sleeping bag
-Squeezing that one dude's head so hard it explodes
-Throatsaw

In alphabetical order

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The back break that was cut to poo poo by the MPAA is gruesome

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Doctor Faustine posted:

Am I missing something with Hellraiser? I thought it was really boring, and I’m the type of person who gets a little wet for slowburn horror that most people consider boring.

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I like the Lovecraftian implications of the cenobites in the first two movies. The leather-culture/BDSM connotations of the villains are interesting too, and reflects Clive Barkers complicated relationship to sexuality (I'd love a queer analysis comparing Hellraiser to Nightbreed).

The first movie has some really good performances, but it can never quite decide whether the Frank plot or the cenobite plot is the B plot. Both are solid concepts for a horror movie though so I am not too bothered. The second movie doubles down on the cenobites as the main appeal, but it's messier and the performances are not quite as good.

But yeah, if you don't find the hell-dimension / cenobite stuff interesting I can see there not being enough there to hold someones attention.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 13, 2019

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
No this kill is the best kill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4M7uGevT0A

Not for the actual kill itself, but for the way he awkwardly leans on the light post, and then afterwards takes a little step back, tosses the spear gun to the ground and then turns like a runway model and strolls away.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hollismason posted:

The MPAA should be dissolved and tried at the Hague for their crimes against the F13 franchise.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The face-through-the-RV kill in Jason Lives is absolutely absurd, but has such awesome effect/sound design, and is such fantastic imagery that it deserves to be included.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Hellraiser is a good movie but it's not good for the reasons that people typically associate with the name "Hellraiser", and it's disappointingly watered down from the novella in some ways.

Like it's more about Julia deliberately self-destructing because she's bored and constrained by her marriage and Kirsty getting caught up in her murder-drama than it is about Frank or Hell or the Cenobites.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Hollismason posted:

Yeah this absolutely a top kill and one of the only of the entire series that makes me cringe. If I recall there’s a good one where he just smashes a dudes head into the wall while he is in the bathroom. Just absolutely destroys his skull.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Hellraiser is a good movie but it's not good for the reasons that people typically associate with the name "Hellraiser", and it's disappointingly watered down from the novella in some ways.

Like it's more about Julia deliberately self-destructing because she's bored and constrained by her marriage and Kirsty getting caught up in her murder-drama than it is about Frank or Hell or the Cenobites.

I'm fine with it because Hellraiser 2 sets up the fact that Julia is the REAL villain of the movies

And then they gently caress up real bad

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

way late hot take about Halloween 2018 that was probably discussed already: Michael Myers doesn't give a poo poo about Laurie Strode and just wanted to kill some folks. Laurie would have been perfectly safe if she had just locked herself and her family in her cellar. And even then, Michael probably never would've made his way out to her compound anyway. I guess my idea falls apart because of the doctor trying to get them together but whatever, my bigger point still stands: Michael doesn't care about Laurie at all.

colachute fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 13, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Burkion posted:

I'm fine with it because Hellraiser 2 sets up the fact that Julia is the REAL villain of the movies

Yeah, sorry, I kind of worded that poorly: I think both versions of the story are really Julia / Kirsty-centric, my ambivalence towards the film has nothing to do with that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

colachute posted:

way late hot take about Halloween 2018 that was probably discussed already: Michael Myers doesn't give a poo poo about Laurie Strode and just wanted to kill some folks. Laurie would have been perfectly safe if she had just locked herself and her family in her cellar. And even then, Michael probably never would've made his way out to her compound anyway. I guess my idea falls apart because of the doctor trying to get them together but whatever, my bigger point still stands: Michael doesn't care about Laurie at all.

Oh yeah this was definitely an intentional thing about the movie, Michael is an unstoppable force because everyone has built him up and tries to direct him as if there's a destined super final boss fight needed between him and Laurie.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

This will always be it for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLt8ImQwslE NSFW I guess as well.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

colachute posted:

Yeah this is the correct view. It was really all Laurie and the Doctors meddling along with the podcasters that set it all up. Michael as soon as he was able immediately started going out and killing lonely women and baby sitters in the neighborhood. Notice he did not kill any of the mental patients that were just wandering around either. Like he just wasn't "kill happy".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't rank every single kill in the series, but we all know there's only one choice for best Jason kill ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyzJStkVC0U

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

James Woods Fan posted:

Only one episode in but I am actually digging this Purge series.

It only gets better. It's legit good.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Lurdiak posted:

I can't rank every single kill in the series, but we all know there's only one choice for best Jason kill ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyzJStkVC0U

You know a kill is good when they have a callback to it in one of the sequels.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Also the video game

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Burkion posted:

More accurately, desire is the real villain of Hellraiser as well as Hellbound. Their movies about people's desires undoing them which is the thing the latter films truly gently caress up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hot take all Hellraiser movies after 2 are hideous pieces of poo poo that should be removed from our society.

5 is only passable because it has the less to do with the cenobite poo poo. God I hate them.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
The video game one is good as hell.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s bad as hell and Henry Cavill sucks in it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Easy Diff posted:

Just watched Green Inferno, baffled by the choice to have both diagetic and soundtrack drums in one scene and NOT have them be in sync. Why?
Green Inferno still a better movie than Green Book

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Green Inferno still a better movie than Green Book

Fortunately there's Room for one more Green movie that's better than them all.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

nvm wrong thread

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Controversial opinion....I love Green Inferno and have watched it like 5 times, I still lose my poo poo when there all in the cage and it cuts to that one dude having a wank

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

When I watched Green Inferno in the October marathon I hated it so drat much that I became kind of obsessed with it and ultimately determined that the entire movie was just Eli Roth fantasizing about sticking it to SJWs who bothered him on Twitter by having them eaten by savage brown people.

Mainly because he said it was.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-eli-roth-green-inferno-sjw-20150709-story.html

quote:

I wanted to write a movie that was about modern activism. I see that a lot of people want to care and want to help, but in general I feel like people don't really want to inconvenience their own lives. And I saw a lot of people just reacting to things on social media. These social justice warriors. 'This is wrong, this is wrong, this is wrong.' And they're just tweeting and retweeting. They're not actually doing anything. Or you see people get involved in a cause that they don't really know a lot about and they go crazy about it. I wanted to make a movie about kids like that. I think there's a lot great things, obviously, about activism people commit their lives to it. But I want to make a story about kids who don't really know what they're getting into. Get in way over their heads, it actually works. And then the irony is on their way home their plane crashes and the very people they saved think that they're invaders, and just dart them and eat them. And make them the food supply of the village.

So "Green Inferno" is your reaction to the #SJWs of twitter?

Yeah. I actually wrote it, and when I finished the draft Kony 2012 happened. I was like this is it. Everyone is going, 'What's wrong with you?' They're drinking their mugs going 'Don't you care about child soldiers and kids being raped how can you not tweet this video?' Everyone got so self righteous and publicly shaming. It was something that they hadn't heard of 24 hours ago. I think it's a double edged sword. I think there are ways to get involved and ways to be helpful. But the SJW culture has gotten so out of control. That you feel that everyone, are they doing it because they believe in it? Or do they just want to look like good people? Are people retweeting things because they think it's important or because they want everyone to think that they're a caring person? And I'm not making a judgment on these people either way. I'm just making a comment on it.

They do get eaten by cannibals…

They get eaten by cannibals yeah. Exactly.

Green Inferno: Activism is loving gay

Also Roth married that much younger actress who he ran through torture and rape acting gambits. Which creeps me out.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hellraiser 1+2 are good, but it's very clear that the franchise had a serious identity crisis going forward after that (which wasn't help by the studio's tendency to cannibalize non-related scripts to fit the series). I think the problem is you look at the cenobites, and they're these extreme character designs, and you think they should behave like slasher villains - but that's really not the point of them at all. Hellraiser is at its best when it's a really gory gothic psychological thriller with occasional bursts of strong violence. Pinhead should not be quipping while he slaughters a nightclub full of people, full-stop. It completely misses the point of the character.

Edit: additionally: ugh, Eli Roth.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My first exposure to Hellraiser was seeing like ten minutes of Hell on Earth and yeah, it was the nightclub scene that I remember. The only thing that I remember, and even as a teenager with no taste I was like "this poo poo sucks, why do people like Hellraiser?". Then I watched the first and was like "oh... this is actually pretty good".

I need to get around to watching 2 I guess.

STAC Goat posted:

Also Roth married that much younger actress who he ran through torture and rape acting gambits. Which creeps me out.

She was also in Knock Knock where she makes out naked with Ana de Armas. She's like Sheri Moon Zombie is to Rob Zombie, but at least those two have a more age-appropriate relationship.

And I'm ashamed to admit I actually kind of liked Knock Knock, mostly for Keanu Reeves

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 14, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Is there a good Blu- ray set for the first two? I really want to own them.

I only have the American region Blu- ray player. I’ve seen the arrow set but it won’t work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

the two hellraisers that are basically lovely takes on Jacobs ladders are a guilty pleasure of mine. its nice to see dean winters in things

That would be hellseeker and inferno

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 14, 2019