Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Bendis left dangling plot threads from the Clinton administration when he left Marvel.

Didn't he leave Miles on a new team to replace Shield, headed up by Leonardo Da Vinci from Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D., and Marvel's now straight ignoring it? I'd've read that :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The entire back half of his last issue of iron man was a bunch of plot threads that will never be revisited by anybody. Dude can troll

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Didn't he leave Miles on a new team to replace Shield, headed up by Leonardo Da Vinci from Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D., and Marvel's now straight ignoring it? I'd've read that :)

That was Riri in Iron Man but yes.

He did however end Spider-Man's plot with a new Sinister Six mid-fight with Miles falling off a helicarrier and then getting laid up in a hospital in an incredibly unsubtle nod to his own near-death brush with MRSA.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 13, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's right. Miles was left saying he probably wouldn't be calling himself Spider-Man in the future and now there's a new MM:SM comic preserving the status quo.

edit: Or something. Haven't read it, though I like that author.

He was presumably dangling approved things, like almost anyone ending a run, so I can't really blame him for them being ignored.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 13, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Bart seems like he’s aware he’s in a comic doesn’t he?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Open Marriage Night posted:

Bart seems like he’s aware he’s in a comic doesn’t he?

Dude came this close to talking about Alpha Flight, I think he's definitely going a bit fourth-wall-break-y

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

I find this hyperbolic but also hilarious, gj

Only barely. He spent a lot of time building up to something with the Roxxon Corporation in Ultimate Spider-Man that never went anywhere, that series started in 2000. I guess technically that resolved in so much that the universe was destroyed. There was also questions raised in the first arc of New Avengers (2004) that I don't think ever got answered.

What's the Alpha Flight reference in Young Justice? Because Bendis killed them off panel in New Avengers in the third or fourth arc.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

What's the Alpha Flight reference in Young Justice?

I mean I guess it's possible that there's some DC Universe character or group whose name starts with Alpha and is in Canada but I can't think of one.

His dialogue on the next page implies he's directly addressing the reader, also.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did Bendis ever reveal what shocked Peter so much when he looked up 616 Miles Morales on the Internet?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did Bendis ever reveal what shocked Peter so much when he looked up 616 Miles Morales on the Internet?

Yes, he found nothing. The original 616 Miles was a former lieutenant of Kingpin and scrubbed himself from the Internet when he retired. It was dumb.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

howe_sam posted:

Yes, he found nothing. The original 616 Miles was a former lieutenant of Kingpin and scrubbed himself from the Internet when he retired. It was dumb.

That miniseries was like the best and worst of Bendis because that particular bit of backtracking was stupid but I thought the overall character arc of 616 Miles was satisfying and wrapped up in a surprising effective and sweet way. It's funny, I went back and read Torso a month or two ago and most of the strengths and weaknesses of his writing to this day are evident: there were moments of character being revealed through dialogue that were breathtakingly well done, and for large stretches its very very good at setting up a particular mood, but then the plot just wraps itself up in the fastest and most lackadaisical way in the last 10-15 pages.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Archyduchess posted:

That miniseries was like the best and worst of Bendis

the ending was definitely top notch, the rest of the series, eh. Though it does set up his last issue of Jessica Jones a bit.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Dude came this close to talking about Alpha Flight, I think he's definitely going a bit fourth-wall-break-y

This is a holdover from Waid. Waid always tosses in subtle references to other companies (Wally talking about Quicksilver, Daredevil being "red Batman" etc etc) and this kind of talk happened with Bart, too. It's Bendis doing a bit of an homage.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's right. Miles was left saying he probably wouldn't be calling himself Spider-Man in the future and now there's a new MM:SM comic preserving the status quo.

edit: Or something. Haven't read it, though I like that author.

He was presumably dangling approved things, like almost anyone ending a run, so I can't really blame him for them being ignored.

It seems like this one was a Marvel thing because there were a bunch of rumors they were making Miles change his hero name so there would only be one Spider-Man. I'm guessing Spider-Verse helped stop that.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Vince MechMahon posted:

It seems like this one was a Marvel thing because there were a bunch of rumors they were making Miles change his hero name so there would only be one Spider-Man. I'm guessing Spider-Verse helped stop that.

I can imagine the huge (and justified) backlash Marvel would have gotten if they changed Miles superhero name the same year an amazing movie featuring Miles and with the message that anyone can be Spider-Man is released. Someone stopped that foolishness and that person deserves a raise.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Do we even know where that rumor originated? It very well could have been Rich Making poo poo Up For Clicks.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The rumour was that he'd be relaunched as Spy-D, but I think him contemplating not being called Spider-Man any more was in Bendis' last issue.

edit: \/Okay now I'll stop referencing comics I didn't read and just know from half remembered internet complaints from months and months ago :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 13, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

The rumour was that he'd be relaunched as Spy-D, but I think him contemplating not being called Spider-Man any more was in Bendis' last issue.

No, it was earlier. He contemplates quitting right before Bombshell calls him to save her (or Ganke tells him he's got to save her, I forget) so he gets to do the old "just when I thought I was out..." routine before taking off

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
In one of the recent Spider-Man cartoons they changed Miles's name to Kid Arachnid, and I think it happened around the same time as comic Miles wanting to change his name.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheHan posted:

In one of the recent Spider-Man cartoons they changed Miles's name to Kid Arachnid, and I think it happened around the same time as comic Miles wanting to change his name.

Yeah but as I understand it that was more of a merchandising move so they don't have to sell 2 different toys that both say "Spider-Man" (which is still stupid but whatever). Then again though, Marvel animation believes its audience is full of complete morons who can't understand the concept of, for example, 2 different Avengers shows at once. (DC animation isn't much better though, with the infamous Bat-embargo)

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

"Kid" names don't age very well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

TwoPair posted:

Yeah but as I understand it that was more of a merchandising move so they don't have to sell 2 different toys that both say "Spider-Man" (which is still stupid but whatever). Then again though, Marvel animation believes its audience is full of complete morons who can't understand the concept of, for example, 2 different Avengers shows at once. (DC animation isn't much better though, with the infamous Bat-embargo)

I totally can believe this is the reason, and it's doubly stupid because they've certainly had no problems with putting Miles and Peter toys on the shelf at the same time as Spider-Man (admittedly in the more adult collector-oriented Marvel Legends line).

"Kid Arachnid" is a real drat bad name, though. Changing Spider-Gwen's hero name to "Ghost Spider" is vastly better.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ad for Josh Williamson's Batman/Flash crossover Hi-C tie-in, with the shadow of Gotham Girl looming over 'em.

and Chris Burnham's cover for the second Flash issue.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ad for Josh Williamson's Batman/Flash crossover Hi-C tie-in, with the shadow of Gotham Girl looming over 'em.

Gotham Girl is still a thing?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hmmm. A Heroes in Crisis tie-in. Guess I will be giving this a miss.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I sure am glad I get to see Barry Allen moping over the death of Wally West. My two favorite things that go great together.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/1085308172527722497

This event is a loving black hole

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They're going to fight the dragon boss in Super Mario Odyssey?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really really really hope this doesn't stick. This just sucks.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01/15/jonathan-kent-superboy-17-years-old/

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

One superboy for young justice one for legion of superheroes

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 16, 2019

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I see it's a more comfortable age for Bendis to write him so there's that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

I like Lois yelling "BOY!!!" when seeing him again.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Roth posted:

I like Lois yelling "BOY!!!" when seeing him again.

Lois actually Kratos, confirmed.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

Ahahahahaha gently caress off dc and bendis

just dump those meaningless deaths into my trough so i can gobble this up like the swine i am.

https://youtu.be/wRgH7HvmSiE

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Why are we mad about Shining Knight?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Nobody is mad about Sir Ystin.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

We're mad about King and HiC and Ystin(a) being in it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Oh gently caress right off Bendis

e: I guess I didn't see a loving monkey paw in my hand when I said I hope he doesn't die.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What got you in the preview? Like a page ago you said you knew about Jon being aged up.
If it's the bit where he peeps his mom's boobs, an oedipal complex just builds character!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

If it's the bit where he peeps his mom's boobs, an oedipal complex just builds character!

Hadn't clicked through to the preview yet but now I'm just gonna nope right out