Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i honestly, and i'm not just trying to be contrarian here, do not understand what people like about The Fisherman. i think it's one of the worst horror novels i've ever read. the only good parts were about the dude fishing in the hudson valley - which, for all that the book stresses that it's set in the hudson valley (and speaking as someone who has spent a lot of time in the hudson valley), feels absolutely bland and characterless. it's very clear that langan wanted the hudson valley to be a character in the story but completely lacked the skill necessary to give it any kind of vitality; you could run a find and replace on every instance of "New York" and change it to "Washington" and the book wouldn't be even a little bit different. hex did a way better job of conjuring the feel of the landscape and that book was written about Holland.

and good lord, the middle section of the book - the massive exposition dump weakly framed as a story-within-a-story, heralded by the narrator's weak bit about wow it's so mysterious that i remember this word for word, like some other force is moving through me - blew. aside from being paint-by-number predictable, and aside from being written in exactly the same voice as the narrator's (despite purportedly being reported [or better, channeled] speech) - it also failed to give either its physical or temporal setting any life or interest at all. it's just boring. it's boring as hell and i hate it.

and then the end of the novel abandons any horror pretensions at all and turns into an out-and-out fantasy romp, complete with a dark wizard battle. gently caress, that book sucks.

MOD EDIT: spoiler tags added

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i refuse to spoiler tag the bit about the wizard battle

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Tertius Oculum posted:

Imago Sequence - Grabbed the audiobook, it's pretty cool, I've finished half of the stories in it including the title, like it for the most part so far.
Opinions on the Black Sloth?

quote:

Currently reading:
The Fisherman So far it's a pretty well written book. I think I'm almost done with the Dutchman's Creek tale. They just unhooked the Leviathan and the fisherman got hooked into the ocean. :0

Wait for it :)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i honestly, and i'm not just trying to be contrarian here, do not understand what people like about The Fisherman. i think it's one of the worst horror novels i've ever read. the only good parts were about the dude fishing in the hudson valley - which, for all that the book stresses that it's set in the hudson valley (and speaking as someone who has spent a lot of time in the hudson valley), feels absolutely bland and characterless. it's very clear that langan wanted the hudson valley to be a character in the story but completely lacked the skill necessary to give it any kind of vitality; you could run a find and replace on every instance of "New York" and change it to "Washington" and the book wouldn't be even a little bit different. hex did a way better job of conjuring the feel of the landscape and that book was written about Holland.

and good lord, the middle section of the book - the massive exposition dump weakly framed as a story-within-a-story, heralded by the narrator's weak bit about wow it's so mysterious that i remember this word for word, like some other force is moving through me - blew. aside from being paint-by-number predictable, and aside from being written in exactly the same voice as the narrator's (despite purportedly being reported [or better, channeled] speech) - it also failed to give either its physical or temporal setting any life or interest at all. it's just boring. it's boring as hell and i hate it.

and then the end of the novel abandons any horror pretensions at all and turns into an out-and-out fantasy romp, complete with a dark wizard battle. gently caress, that book sucks.

hahaha yeah it owns

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Have you read Bird Box and do you rank it higher than The Fisherman?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I had not heard of The Sick Land before and read through it last night. It was a lot of fun.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i discovered that the author of bird box is the singer for a band i used to hang out with as a kid (the high strung,) and when i was a kid he gave me a manuscript for something and it was the most poorly written thing i had ever read. every line ended with twenty ellipses and it was literally all dialogue. so if any of u want to criticize josh malermans prose keep in mind he is an amateur rock star turned horror novelist and he has no formal training whatsoever and is in fact bad at writing

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

scary ghost dog posted:

i discovered that the author of bird box is the singer for a band i used to hang out with as a kid (the high strung,) and when i was a kid he gave me a manuscript for something and it was the most poorly written thing i had ever read. every line ended with twenty ellipses and it was literally all dialogue. so if any of u want to criticize josh malermans prose keep in mind he is an amateur rock star turned horror novelist and he has no formal training whatsoever and is in fact bad at writing

I mean what authors actually get formal training?

I didn't care for the Bird Box but I respect a dude who can learn how to go from twenty ellipsis to readable stuff.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I didn't care for the Bird Box but I respect a dude who can learn how to go from twenty ellipsis to readable stuff.

Uhhh well formal training in writing is most definitely a thing, though I'm sure there are plenty of English majors on the forums that could give us detailed opinions on whether or not a college degree translates into actual writing ability. To say no authors get formal training is kind of silly, though, there's hundreds of creative writing degrees and courses all over the place.

All that aside, yeah, there are plenty of good writers without formal education, though I'm undecided on wheher Malerman is one of them. Black Mad Wheel was confusing and kind of poorly written, with what was imo a cosmically stupid plot. I'm actually reading Unbury Carol right now, but jury's still out on it for me, it's really not grabbing me despite the concept of the book kind of being right up my alley

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

i honestly, and i'm not just trying to be contrarian here, do not understand what people like about The Fisherman. i think it's one of the worst horror novels i've ever read.

I wouldn't say it was the worst but I also don't get why people liked it.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

StrixNebulosa posted:

Somewhere between “many” and “most”. MFA programs are a huge thing bud

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

yeah he gets props for not giving up, to be sure

Muninn
Dec 29, 2008
I read as much weird horror as I can get my hands on and loved The Fisherman and especially the story-within-a-story device. If you haven’t read it and enjoy Langan’s short work you will probably like it. It doesn’t overstay its welcome either.

ruby saltbush
Jan 8, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Skyscraper posted:

I wouldn't say it was the worst but I also don't get why people liked it.
my reaction to it was exaggerated because i paid $23 for it lol. that's two reregs and a cappuccino!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Muninn posted:

I read as much weird horror as I can get my hands on and loved The Fisherman and especially the story-within-a-story device. If you haven’t read it and enjoy Langan’s short work you will probably like it. It doesn’t overstay its welcome either.

what did you like about it

MOD EDIT: spoiler tags added

weak

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

ruby saltbush posted:

my reaction to it was exaggerated because i paid $23 for it lol. that's two reregs and a cappuccino!

OK yeah well maybe if I paid that much I'd have some stronger feelings.

ruby saltbush
Jan 8, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Skyscraper posted:

OK yeah well maybe if I paid that much I'd have some stronger feelings.
australia is a wasteland

Muninn
Dec 29, 2008

what did you like about it

The fun nested narrative, the not overly expository allusions to cosmic horrors and general weird occurrences that gave depth to the happenings in the narrative, the deft portrayal of personal loss and obsession, the contrast between the initial groundedness of the protagonist’s situation and the craziness it descends into, the not overly literary but not dumb prose. I thought it was exactly what a cosmic horror novel should be.

Edit: what are some horror books you did enjoy, out of curiosity?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

yeah he gets props for not giving up, to be sure

In my copy of Bird Box at the end he basically says he had written like 20 novels that were just sitting around until some producer (agent? something?) friend of his was like ''Send them all over.'' The movie rights were bought before the book was picked up I believe.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Muninn posted:

Edit: what are some horror books you did enjoy, out of curiosity?

robert aickman, m. r. james, jackson's haunting of hill house, mcdowell's the elementals and blackwater, most ligotti, much lovecraft, tremblay's head full of ghosts, nathan ballingrud's short stories, jeremy shipp's the atrocities, and recently david mitchell's slade house, off the top of my head

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ravenkult posted:

In my copy of Bird Box at the end he basically says he had written like 20 novels that were just sitting around until some producer (agent? something?) friend of his was like ''Send them all over.'' The movie rights were bought before the book was picked up I believe.

lol ok that jives with my memory of him

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

robert aickman, m. r. james, jackson's haunting of hill house, mcdowell's the elementals and blackwater, most ligotti, much lovecraft, tremblay's head full of ghosts, nathan ballingrud's short stories, jeremy shipp's the atrocities, and recently david mitchell's slade house, off the top of my head

Wow, we have shockingly similar tastes. I love all of those that I've read, and the ones I haven't (The Atrocities, Slade House, Ligotti) I've bought and are sitting on my Kindle waiting to be read.

Well, I guess I haven't read any MR James besides Casting the Runes and the one about whistling, but I liked both of those a lot.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

MockingQuantum posted:

Wow, we have shockingly similar tastes. I love all of those that I've read, and the ones I haven't (The Atrocities, Slade House, Ligotti) I've bought and are sitting on my Kindle waiting to be read.

Well, I guess I haven't read any MR James besides Casting the Runes and the one about whistling, but I liked both of those a lot.

hell yeah. def recommend ligotti. he's got his weaknesses, but all of his stories read like prose-poems about anxiety attacks, and that's fun. atrocities i actually got as a secret santa gift from our own Guy A Person

what else do you like? im always looking for recs

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

hell yeah. def recommend ligotti. he's got his weaknesses, but all of his stories read like prose-poems about anxiety attacks, and that's fun. atrocities i actually got as a secret santa gift from our own Guy A Person

what else do you like? im always looking for recs

Have you read House of Small Shadows? That's the one book in keeping with the rest of those that leaps to mind, though it's got some of the same issues that Nevill's other books do. I'll look at my Kindle and list of other books I've read, see if there's something else I'm not thinking of. I think you're probably more in the know for that sort of supernatural/psychological horror genre than I am, though. I'd be more likely to tell you a bunch of books that seem like they'd be good but you shouldn't read

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I just read the first story in Hodge's 'Worlds of Hurt' and drat.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

nowadays i treat goon recommendations with extreme suspicion, but i'm liking ligotti

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I found Bird Box to be incredibly tense and effective while reading it. I think it did a great job of making me feel trapped inside a person's head while something is there. The movie didn't have that same level of intensity, and couldn't really.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

graventy posted:

I found Bird Box to be incredibly tense and effective while reading it. I think it did a great job of making me feel trapped inside a person's head while something is there. The movie didn't have that same level of intensity, and couldn't really.

I think the movie definitely fell down on conveying the same level of alienness and menace surrounding the things as the book managed. I also thought the fallout of people seeing the things wasn't done very well in the movie, I remember it being much more terrifying in the book though I read it long enough ago that I don't remember why specifically.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
The movie kind of sped everything up. The book kind of makes it seems like the things just sort of manifest slowly over time, so each suicide is important and shocking, but we don't really witness most of the apocalypse. In the movie it's like a slightly-crazier black friday suddenly breaks out and pretty much everyone goes crazy all at the same time.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

avshalemon posted:

nowadays i treat goon recommendations with extreme suspicion, but i'm liking ligotti

do aickman next

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Lovecraft is one of those authors where I really love the idea of a lot of his stories, while really not enjoying the execution. That's why I tend to steer people either to a small handful of Lovecraft stories or towards more modern authors that are just significantly better writers. MoM is a classic example of that, to me. I loving love the idea of MoM but I didn't really enjoy it either time I've read it, and one of those was when I was a dumb high schooler. I'd kill for a good cosmic horror novel like MoM.

On another note, if you liked Blackwood, you may like some of Laird Barron's stuff. He's kind of divisive among horror goons, but a lot of his stories feel a bit like high-octane modern Blackwood stories, plus he makes pretty overt reference to Blackwood or his stories in more than one instance.

I've read a bunch more Lovecraft (Shadow over Innsmouth, Statement of Randolph Carter, Colour out of Space, Dreams in the Witchhouse, The Thing on the Doorstep, Music of Erich Zann, The Outsider, Herbert West-Reanimator, Lurking Fear, Rats in the Walls) since posting in this thread and came to the same conclusion. It's kind of infuriating, he has some great ideas but basically everything he writes is in the form of a long monologue with no real characters or dialogue, and he describes everything in the same " its so horrible! its indescribable!" manner before going into pages of exposition on what exactly it is. His prose is just terrible too, its like he saw authors from the past used a lot of florid language and overly literaryness and tried to cargo cult it by just shoving as many words as possible he could find in his thesaurus into each sentence without any real regard for if they're necessary or flow or add anything.

All that said, I enjoyed most of the stories at least somewhat and some in particular I thought were really good (Innsmouth and Colour). The concepts for his stories are all pretty cool and he had quite the imagination, plus the whole "mythos" he built around all his stories is kind of fun to see how they all fit together. I'll probably read the bunch of other stories in the collection I got.

Ill check out Barron. I have quite the list of horror authors now but I'll get to it eventually lol

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tolkien minority posted:

I've read a bunch more Lovecraft (Shadow over Innsmouth, Statement of Randolph Carter, Colour out of Space, Dreams in the Witchhouse, The Thing on the Doorstep, Music of Erich Zann, The Outsider, Herbert West-Reanimator, Lurking Fear, Rats in the Walls) since posting in this thread and came to the same conclusion. It's kind of infuriating, he has some great ideas but basically everything he writes is in the form of a long monologue with no real characters or dialogue, and he describes everything in the same " its so horrible! its indescribable!" manner before going into pages of exposition on what exactly it is. His prose is just terrible too, its like he saw authors from the past used a lot of florid language and overly literaryness and tried to cargo cult it by just shoving as many words as possible he could find in his thesaurus into each sentence without any real regard for if they're necessary or flow or add anything.

All that said, I enjoyed most of the stories at least somewhat and some in particular I thought were really good (Innsmouth and Colour). The concepts for his stories are all pretty cool and he had quite the imagination, plus the whole "mythos" he built around all his stories is kind of fun to see how they all fit together. I'll probably read the bunch of other stories in the collection I got.

Ill check out Barron. I have quite the list of horror authors now but I'll get to it eventually lol

I personally love Barron, I know there are horrorgoons that definitely do not, though. He can be pretty hit and miss too. Imago Sequence is probably his best collection, with Occultation close behind. Don't read The Croning until you're sure you like Barron. Also "Procession of the Black Sloth" is super divisive so make sure that's not his first story you read.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Ornamented Death posted:

I had not heard of The Sick Land before and read through it last night. It was a lot of fun.

I just finished The Sick Land today. It was kinda fun, but it suffered really badly from that 'mysterious ominous stuff happens inexplicably' dream logic thing that some bad horror mistakes for depth.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Bilirubin posted:

Opinions on the Black Sloth?

I thought the Prossession of the Black Sloth wasn't bad. I liked it. All the different hells were neat and the way he described them with the video footage and everything was cool.

Though Imago Sequence overall is pretty decent too.

I also started on the Sick Lands (just learned from here) and it's kinda cool, but the format is meh, and definitely want more of a novel format for that story.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Speaking of Laird Barron, this came in the other day:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just how many New Neighbors do you have there?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Just the two. I got the one on the right some years ago and was later able to get the superior Charnel House edition for a good price. I havent yet decided if I want to sell the other one.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Never sell books you like

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

Speaking of Laird Barron, this came in the other day:

How was Blood Standard? I haven't really heard anything about it, positive or negative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MockingQuantum posted:

How was Blood Standard? I haven't really heard anything about it, positive or negative

I'm reading it now. About a quarter of the way through and it's good so far. I'll post my thoughts when I finish it.