Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The dog collar/chain/strap match was basically the same. A way to keep the heel close to the face so he could get beaten up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Back in the heyday of the NWA, pretty much every long-term champion also had to be at least decent at working tweener, since sometimes the top guy at the time would be a heel, or the top face was hurt/not ready.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrBling posted:

The dog collar/chain/strap match was basically the same. A way to keep the heel close to the face so he could get beaten up.

Trips/Orton at WM25 should have been a dog collar match.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Randaconda posted:

Trips/Orton at WM25 should have been a dog collar match.

It's not a bad idea but Dog Collar matches are very much a southern wrestling thing, and Vince does not like southern wrestling conventions.

Plus his whole "It has to be my idea, dammit" approach.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
what's the origins of the four corners strap match? not saying I don't like them or anything they just seem especially old school and hard to explain to someone who doesn't know what's up

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's not a bad idea but Dog Collar matches are very much a southern wrestling thing, and Vince does not like southern wrestling conventions.

Plus his whole "It has to be my idea, dammit" approach.

True. But gently caress, anything would have been better than we got.

Or Legacy should have turned on Orton and done the double turn, since Trips and Steph are like the least sympathetic babyfaces I've ever seen.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Randaconda posted:

True. But gently caress, anything would have been better than we got.

Or Legacy should have turned on Orton and done the double turn, since Trips and Steph are like the least sympathetic babyfaces I've ever seen.

I hear you. I also feel like we're overdue for a WWE title match in a steel cage at WM as the main.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I hear you. I also feel like we're overdue for a WWE title match in a steel cage at WM as the main.

Orton was over probably more than he's every been before or since, too, and they pissed it all away. God, that 2004 or 2005 to like 2012 or so period gets worse every time I think about it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The current steel cage rules ruin it for me. Escape wins are the absolute worst and make both wrestlers act like idiots to explain why they don't just walk out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The current steel cage rules ruin it for me. Escape wins are the absolute worst and make both wrestlers act like idiots to explain why they don't just walk out.

Yeah, that's fair. I guess when I think of steel cage matches I tend to think of fun ones like Benoit vs Angle, or HHH vs Flair. I don't think about the boring ones, or poorly booked ones.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yeah, that's fair. I guess when I think of steel cage matches I tend to think of fun ones like Benoit vs Angle, or HHH vs Flair. I don't think about the boring ones, or poorly booked ones.

Hell in a Cell theoretically should solve the cage match problem by having it enclosed with no escape wins, but they are harmed by being restricted to their own PPV and the fact that there’s an implied expectation of breaking through the cell and doing a big spot off the top that telegraphs how they all finish now.

They just need to change the rules and make pinfalls and submissions the only way to win a cage match.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dacap posted:

Hell in a Cell theoretically should solve the cage match problem by having it enclosed with no escape wins, but they are harmed by being restricted to their own PPV and the fact that there’s an implied expectation of breaking through the cell and doing a big spot off the top that telegraphs how they all finish now.

They just need to change the rules and make pinfalls and submissions the only way to win a cage match.

Agreed.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Nehru the Damaja posted:

New York territory title program booking had a formula it always followed and someone winning by leaving a cage instead of by clean pinfall is a part of that formula

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

New York territory title program booking had a formula it always followed and someone winning by leaving a cage instead of by clean pinfall is a part of that formula

Yeah but when they did it Bruno would kick the dudes rear end thoroughly and stroll on out, not do some goofy scramble for a door.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Yeah, the New York style cage match's logic was "there's no referee to stop the carnage."

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Also, it's a way for the match to have a conclusive winner without anyone getting pinned

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
just get rid of the door. why does a wrestling match cage have a door they can climb over it. the door is so dumb and unnecessary and I totally get the reason they did it for Bruno but it ain't the 70s anymore.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The NXT cage is the worst, it looks seven feet tall at most. You could probably just hop it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

shiksa posted:

just get rid of the door. why does a wrestling match cage have a door they can climb over it. the door is so dumb and unnecessary and I totally get the reason they did it for Bruno but it ain't the 70s anymore.

Because they love the "slam the door on someone" spot.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Stipulations where one participant can fluke their way to a win like a cage or tables match seem like they could be used to get someone lower on the card a big signature win over someone higher up but it seems like nobody booking WWE remembers how to do that. Even Money in the Bank only really successfully elevated 4 people, Edge, Punk, Bryan, and Seth. Everyone else was either already a main eventer or fell back down the card and never recovered.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wwe bad

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TriffTshngo posted:

Stipulations where one participant can fluke their way to a win like a cage or tables match seem like they could be used to get someone lower on the card a big signature win over someone higher up but it seems like nobody booking WWE remembers how to do that. Even Money in the Bank only really successfully elevated 4 people, Edge, Punk, Bryan, and Seth. Everyone else was either already a main eventer or fell back down the card and never recovered.

There's no need for those things to exist when you can just do a flash pin.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Every single gimmick match they do on a schedule is stupid as gently caress. Most of them carry risk of injury above and beyond normal wrestling levels and doing them because it's that time of year rather than doing them as consequence of a specific build makes that extra risk meaningless. There should not be heatless cage or ladder matches.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

remusclaw posted:

Every single gimmick match they do on a schedule is stupid as gently caress. Most of them carry risk of injury above and beyond normal wrestling levels and doing them because it's that time of year rather than doing them as consequence of a specific build makes that extra risk meaningless. There should not be heatless cage or ladder matches.

It also (and I know this is obvious but I'm saying it out loud anyway) just... oversaturates the poo poo out of those matches. Hell in a Cell was a HUGE DEAL, TLC was a huge deal, just saying those words into a microphone used to get pops. Imagine if you went like two years without seeing a Hell in a Cell match, instead of getting three on the same show. It's in the same vein as kicking out of finishers--when it's sporadic, it makes for a huge moment. When guys are kicking out of each others' finishers five times a match in multiple matches it just dulls the effect. The special stuff has to be kept special or it stops being special.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

The only matches that make sense to happen at a set time of the year are Royal Rumble and MitB, though I also do really like when they put the Elimination Chamber on the show between Rumble and Mania as a #1 Contender's match for the other championship not chosen by the Rumble winner.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I don't like Money in the Bank at all. The payout is a near guaranteed title win that makes the winner look either like someone who couldn't win legit, or worse, like someone who couldn't even win with the deck stacked in their favor. Lay that on top of the fact that it is a scheduled ladder match and you have a dangerous match with like 5-8 competitors that as often as not makes the winner look bad at the end of the day.

Rumble is awesome though, shame that they can't even get that right anymore.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MitB wouldn't be as bad if they kept the Edge/Rollins stealing the belt the rare outcome and had the majority be pre-determined dates like RVD, Cena, and I guess technically Braun did.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Building on that old "I know nothing about NOAH and AJPW" question, I just saw two matches with Takeshi Morishima for the first time. Unreal how much he gets done doing so little. He just gets the gently caress kicked out of him, rips that nerd apart with a lariat, repeat to finish, and it's fantastic.

Who else pulls off that "do more with less" style? I'm not necessarily looking for recommendations as much as just interested in the discussion.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Building on that old "I know nothing about NOAH and AJPW" question, I just saw two matches with Takeshi Morishima for the first time. Unreal how much he gets done doing so little. He just gets the gently caress kicked out of him, rips that nerd apart with a lariat, repeat to finish, and it's fantastic.

Who else pulls off that "do more with less" style? I'm not necessarily looking for recommendations as much as just interested in the discussion.

Walter for certain.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

remusclaw posted:

Walter for certain.

That was the second guy to come to mind watching him. The first was Barry Windham, just for his size and presence.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

remusclaw posted:

the weeks leading up to hell in a cell should have the wrestlers filling out paperwork and forms to apply for the yearly hell in a cell match, including essay portions explaining why they and another wrestler require the use of the cell for the night

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Roman Reigns def. Braun Strowman by disqualification (no clear thesis statement)

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Roman Reigns def. Braun Strowman by disqualification (no clear thesis statement)

this year's men's match would have definitely been rejected by the oversight board

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd argue Ishii.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I agree. The idea of doing Hell in a Cell or even "just" a cage or ladder match because it's on a calendar of events is asinine. (Is this the activity room at a nursing home?) It just cheapens the gimmick at the cost of the talent's health; everyone loses.

Hell No vs. The Shield is one of my favourite WWE PPV matches, but that's because you had two teams that loving hated each other and had something to prove, even though there wasn't a title on the line. That fed well into the concept of "You want to hurt each other out of sheer spite? Go ahead."

I think concepts like the Elimination Chamber can work, where it's deliberately set up to be a meat grinder in exchange for some reward.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Are there any examples of someone trying to use another guy's finisher but not being able to figure out how to do it?

I like kayfabe explanations for the weird aspects of wrestling, like why no one else uses something like the Pedigree if it's so effective. The explanation being that no one CAN do it because it takes years to perfect.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Are there any examples of someone trying to use another guy's finisher but not being able to figure out how to do it?

I like kayfabe explanations for the weird aspects of wrestling, like why no one else uses something like the Pedigree if it's so effective. The explanation being that no one CAN do it because it takes years to perfect.

It's not a finisher but watch practically any SANADA match. I will never get tired of everybody on the roster attempting to apply the Paradise Lock on him and failing.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's amazing how many people can't figure out how to apply the figure four. I could apply the figure four as a kid after watching carefully and there are people who do this for a living, people who use it as a finish who can't do it right.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've seen it done as comedy stories. The Disco Inferno spent some time bringing a diagram of a Figure Four to the ring and routinely failing to figure out how to apply it. And Chikara had like a whole years long meta story about a submission that was only taught to tecnicos and when one of them betrayed them and taught a rudo it was the greatest evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

remusclaw posted:

It's amazing how many people can't figure out how to apply the figure four. I could apply the figure four as a kid after watching carefully and there are people who do this for a living, people who use it as a finish who can't do it right.

Nick Aldis at All In is maybe the most egregious recent instance.

Also, Cody almost hosed up, shoot, the unprettier/Pulp Friction at the Dome last week.