Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I’m finding HP-UX 10.20… not so bad?

I’m sure it helps that I have an 80MHz Gecko with 128MB and a big card in the SCSI2SD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I janitored 11.00B for a bit and it was pretty okay. I especially liked the fact that it has LVM

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
linux lvm is a straight up copy of hpux lvm.

no shame in stealing from th best I guess

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

eschaton posted:

not so bad
you must be using it very differently from $previous_job. the only happy memories I have relating to hp-ux are of the party we had when we decommissioned the last few proprietary servers. but I could well believe they were just using it wrong

everything being rhel or centos on x86-64 is boring as hell, but it’s the good kind of boring

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

you must be using it very differently from $previous_job. the only happy memories I have relating to hp-ux are of the party we had when we decommissioned the last few proprietary servers. but I could well believe they were just using it wrong

everything being rhel or centos on x86-64 is boring as hell, but it’s the good kind of boring

do bear in mind that eschaton has, in the past week, been playing with ultrix

possibly the worst unix ever shipped to customers

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

do bear in mind that eschaton has, in the past week, been playing with ultrix

possibly the worst unix ever shipped to customers

Why was it so bad?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
>From the command line, I always felt like Ultrix was just a BSD, same as SunOS and NEXTSTEP

maybe that was just what CMU did to it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the thing i hated the most about hpux was that you had to mknod almost all the device files for LVM yourself, there was very little automation and lots of places you could screw it up and lose data

One of my fondest memories from work was scrapping a whole row of unix racks around 10 years ago

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

Why was it so bad?

nbsd is just a huge mach fan and compares it to its replacement, the lovely osf/1

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Digital Unix was so crappy science departments were using gcc for student theses in 1997 (from an Alpha machine used in the CS department of Melbourne University I "inherited").

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Foo posted:

Why was it so bad?

it was circa 1985 unix, never updated, because the new, fabulous replacement is just around the corner any day now

the most glaring example is that it lacked shared libraries

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nbsd is just a huge mach fan and compares it to its replacement, the lovely osf/1

osf/1 was also bad but very differently bad

at least osf/1 is bad in ways that are cool and interesting. ultrix was just an unwanted stepchild left to moulder in a dark closet.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

osf/1 was also bad but very differently bad

at least osf/1 is bad in ways that are cool and interesting. ultrix was just an unwanted stepchild left to moulder in a dark closet.

DSYP?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ewe2 posted:

Digital Unix was so crappy science departments were using gcc for student theses in 1997 (from an Alpha machine used in the CS department of Melbourne University I "inherited").

Eh? Why does using the GNU C Compiler make an OS crappy?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I janitored 11.00B for a bit and it was pretty okay. I especially liked the fact that it has LVM

Isnt HPUX the one where you get to pay an extra $1000+ a year just to be able to resize filesystems online? And the same if you want VMs.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

schads if you're gonna try to drop owns you gotta commit

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Eh? Why does using the GNU C Compiler make an OS crappy?

unix has a system compiler so presumably the included compiler sucked. the bsds still in service used the last gpl2 version of gcc with custom patches before they switched to clang.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hifi posted:

unix has a system compiler so presumably the included compiler sucked. the bsds still in service used the last gpl2 version of gcc with custom patches before they switched to clang.

osf/1 never had a system compiler

the dec compiler was a very expensive layered product

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

Isnt HPUX the one where you get to pay an extra $1000+ a year just to be able to resize filesystems online? And the same if you want VMs.

hpux used to have like ten different versions but they got rid of that because it was dumb

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

feedmegin posted:

sounds kind of like windows

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hifi posted:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

osf/1 never had a system compiler

the dec compiler was a very expensive layered product

Most Unixes were licensed binary-only without compilers (source licenses were VERY expensive), but usually there was a deal for educational institutions if they were buying a bunch of hardware. The Digital Unix I have is pre-4.0 (3.2C), and it includes DEC C: the C part calls itself Digital Unix Compiler Driver, but the CXX is a bit more forthcoming, DEC C++ V5.4-006. These are frontends to a horrifying collection of goo in /lib/cmplrs. Anyway, it was crap for teaching computer science and it was only there to tailor the kernel. GNU C didn't make it crap, it made it bearable.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ewe2 posted:

Most Unixes were licensed binary-only without compilers (source licenses were VERY expensive), but usually there was a deal for educational institutions if they were buying a bunch of hardware. The Digital Unix I have is pre-4.0 (3.2C), and it includes DEC C: the C part calls itself Digital Unix Compiler Driver, but the CXX is a bit more forthcoming, DEC C++ V5.4-006. These are frontends to a horrifying collection of goo in /lib/cmplrs. Anyway, it was crap for teaching computer science and it was only there to tailor the kernel. GNU C didn't make it crap, it made it bearable.

i was never a tru64 guy but as far as i can recall, it had loadable modules. you didn't need a compiler to tailor the kernel.

sunos worked that way, though -- it came with a crippled compiler toolchain that only existed to rebuild the kernel. if you wanted a compiler that actually loving worked, you had to pay for sunwspro

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

hifi posted:

Quite often the system compiler if present was a vestigial remnant that could only do K&R (pre ANSI) C. Not much good for teaching in the 90s but enough to eg compile gcc. Nothing unusual there, it's why gcc became a thing really.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i was never a tru64 guy but as far as i can recall, it had loadable modules. you didn't need a compiler to tailor the kernel.

sunos worked that way, though -- it came with a crippled compiler toolchain that only existed to rebuild the kernel. if you wanted a compiler that actually loving worked, you had to pay for sunwspro

The SunOS way was how Unix was done back then. Digital UNIX is a horrible no man's land between osf/1 and tru64. It had system v streams but was mostly dependent on bsdisms to work at all as a system. It really was a case of needing a unix to sell alpha boxes, a lesson DEC learnt a little too late. The alpha box this system was on was pressed into service as a CS dept network hub for the use of staff and honours students in the mid-90's and was really struggling by its decommissioning at the end of 2001. Sadly most of the interesting stuff was nfs-exported so some intriguing in-house software is probably lost to history.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

digital never really had their heart into unix in the first place, or at least that is how all the people who worked at dec explained that to me.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not like any unix vendor did better than dec really, so i think they were in the right not to worry too much

there were other things to worry about though

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

not like any unix vendor did better than dec really, so i think they were in the right not to worry too much

there were other things to worry about though

well they all pretty much did better than dec

they made more money, they sold more boxes, and they shipped less-bad software

edit: do note that dec ended up being bought for pennies by a peecee vendor

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 14, 2019

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ewe2 posted:

It had system v streams but was mostly dependent on bsdisms to work at all as a system.

this is not an accident

osf/1 was the product of a multivendor consortium formed to oppose at&t and sun, and their svr4 project. notable joiners were hp, intel, and dec. i can't remember any of the others.

of course it's riddled with bsd-isms -- svr3 was owned by at&t, and svr4 was the hated at&t / sun joint project. the only way to get even partly un-encumbered software was bsd

i didn't realize they licensed STREAMS though. lol @ how dumb a move that is in hindsight

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Origin posted:

digital never really had their heart into unix in the first place, or at least that is how all the people who worked at dec explained that to me.

It was a really odd mix of NIH vs in-house Unix evangelism. The story goes that Dennis and Ken were offered a Vax to port Unix to but they took one look at the instruction set and noped out. There was a bit of second-system effect going on there! But on the other hand you had Dave Cutler of VMS/NT fame who loved to carp against Unix and was ideologically opposed to anything but microkernel design.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i didn't realize they licensed STREAMS though. lol @ how dumb a move that is in hindsight

What the history of that consortium teaches you is just how crazy it gets when standards meet market reality. One of the hopes of open source has always been that standards can evade this kind of conflict, I'm not sure it can continue to be successful. But STREAMS always sucked, that's a classic market distortion.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 14, 2019

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
notably SVR4 included sockets

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

STREAMS wasn’t that bad

it was much better as a low level API than something for application level code to use though

not like Berkeley sockets is that great either

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ugh, SCSI2SD hung a third of the way into installing the ANSI C compiler for HP-UX 10.20

drat it, I just want to be able to to build mbedTLS and libcurl and dropbear, and to do CDE (and maybe VUE) development

the whole “unbundled compilers” thing suuuuucked

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
lol snapshots.debian.org which is a repository for snapshots of Debian packages
blocks an entire /9 of ec2 so much for my utopian dreams

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

There was even a STREAMS port for Linux for a while. Iirc it's not that the design was necessarily a bad idea, it let you do some cool modular layering type stuff that NT also allows, but that flexibility meant performance was sucktastic.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I’ve heard rumblings that NetBSD is looking to revise their default X environment to not just be the default X environment

wonder how they’ll take a suggestion to take Motif and CDE from pkgsrc into the base image

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

also I built mxterm after getting Motif running on my HP 9000/433s and it doesn’t know how to request a pty :(

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

eschaton posted:

I’ve heard rumblings that NetBSD is looking to revise their default X environment to not just be the default X environment

wonder how they’ll take a suggestion to take Motif and CDE from pkgsrc into the base image

this is exactly what it would take for me to think about installing netbsd

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

and nBSD would feel right at home

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
cde was basically fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

plasma 5.15 gettin lots of good stuff

https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.14.90.php

wireguard integration, battery on bluetooth devices and wayland stuff