Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Lest we forget: The terrible box art for RE2 on Dreamcast in Japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
poo poo it looks like you can gently caress up some trucks in that game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Leon just casually strolling while poo poo explodes is good actually

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Leon just casually strolling while poo poo explodes is good actually

I think maybe my favourite thing about Japanese survival horror (e.g. Silent Hill 2, RE, Evil Within) is that the protagonists are just chill about the world going to hell with weird monsters and flesh eating zombies everywhere

Like, RE7 in particular is great because Ethan is mostly confused and mildly inconvenienced when his girlfriend turns into a goo monster and chops his arm off, and Joe just rolls up his sleeves for some good old fashioned wrassling

Convex fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 13, 2019

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Anonymous Robot posted:

poo poo it looks like you can gently caress up some trucks in that game.

I mean the sign clearly says NO TRUCKS. He's just enforcing the law like any good cop on their first day.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

One of the reasons, I quit RE remake is because the combat which I didn't understand how it worked. So you shoot the zombies in the head and they go down but they still don't die? So is it better to shoot them a couple more time when they are down? I lost a bunch of health because of them getting back up. The other question I have is, is the knife useful at all? Other than them being on the ground or the first lunge they do, it doesn't do much.

Also are the puzzles in RE simple? I hate puzzles in games that aren't about puzzles.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ulio posted:

One of the reasons, I quit RE remake is because the combat which I didn't understand how it worked. So you shoot the zombies in the head and they go down but they still don't die? So is it better to shoot them a couple more time when they are down? I lost a bunch of health because of them getting back up. The other question I have is, is the knife useful at all? Other than them being on the ground or the first lunge they do, it doesn't do much.

Also are the puzzles in RE simple? I hate puzzles in games that aren't about puzzles.

aim until the crosshair shrinks, the shot will do more damage. they're still zombies so they don't die easy, but lining up your shots like that will make it take significantly fewer bullets than it would otherwise

generally you're safe when they quit squirming but best not to linger around them too much just in case

i didn't have much use for the knife either, it's probably best used to break out of zombie grabs

RE's puzzles before the action-oriented entries were heavily inventory based. you are going to have a squillion keys and medallions and other assorted doodads needed to open various types of doors and you're going to have to constantly juggle which one of these items you want in your inventory alongside your weapons and recovery items. you'll never have enough room for all of them, hence the storage lockers everywhere. it's an acquired taste

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
You don't really have to shoot them enough to kill them for good, as long as you can get by them. Your goal isn't too make everything dead, it's too find a nonsensical key to whatever obstacle you're currently facing.

As far as the puzzles go, they're pretty minor. Pushing blocks into switches, that sort of thing. It's more about finding these things then actually doing them.

Also the knife is totally useless, box it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Ulio posted:

Basically the gist of it is you have to destroy the head completely or the zombie will revive as a Crimson Head after a short time. The most reliable way is to use the shotgun, wait until they’re right on top of you, aim up and fire. If you down one without destroying the head you need to use fuel and a lighter to burn the corpse. If you kill multiple zombies and their bodies are right next to each other/on top of each other you can usually get away with using just one portion of fuel.

Obviously it’s only worth doing to zombies in areas you’ll be traversing frequently as there is a limited quantity of fuel in the game. Also do not try and burn the already downed zombie in the corridor with all the mirrors and stuff, it’s a trap.

Anyway, re cover chat.

PAL wins again!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

4 resident evil

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Anyway, re cover chat.

PAL wins again!

Action pose hunk Leon might actually be a better fit to the franchise than a classy spooky poster.

I remember that cover. Gave me the wrong impression about the game. (To a smaller extent also true of the MGS series, those were great covers)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 13, 2019

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

gently caress I want to play this game now if only capcom could fix street fighter 5 and they'd be the greatest developers ever

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Efb

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Savage For The Winjun posted:

gently caress I want to play this game now if only capcom could fix street fighter 5 and they'd be the greatest developers ever

Street Fighter 5 is unfixable. :colbert:

Also holy poo poo REm2ke is awesome. I’ve gone from hopeful to preordering, and I never preorder.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

they did a stream of it recently, the soundtrack swap even swaps menu and item box sound effects.

:eyepop:

e: do you have a link to this

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Good soup! posted:

:eyepop:

e: do you have a link to this

cant find the original stream they did but this is a small part of it, they had it swapped while they were checking out the noir costume and filter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh6KpGlORGA

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
I played the RE2 demo on pc with a trainer that lets you keep adding time. I think I’ve seen and done everything you can do in the demo. Super pumped for this game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rikimaru posted:

I played the RE2 demo on pc with a trainer that lets you keep adding time. I think I’ve seen and done everything you can do in the demo. Super pumped for this game.

Would it be :filez: to ask for that or was it just a cheat engine thing.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
some more datamining info i've scraped together if you're interested, has some location spoilers, scenarios and spoilers about that super secret mode they've been teasing:

the loving poster is in the game. so modders have been walking through walls and poo poo, as you do.
[ur]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cz41gePyWQ[/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79pDthLfSas

as far as i can tell, this looks like the costume change room or something. weird to have a save room down there but it might be where bonus weapons/unlockables are all stored given its the "brad room"

and that rogue stuff, coming from a different sources in the know and the datamine and official reponse of "we working on something that will add tons of replay value, it seems its a rogue-like randomizer but you can pick your character and you go through the game with everything randomized like the popular mod for remake 1 and you have a xp system and store like raid mode but no saving and no continues, since its rogue-like... probably gonna be dlc characters in there too.

and on scenarios, no one knows if its A and B for each character or just one big A for both. they have found leon's video screen video, like the one that ends the demo with claire in it. so take that as you will.

of course, take this all with a grain of salt because i remember when the re7 pc demo got data-mined and the words "albert" were found and we all freaked the gently caress out. :allears:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ulio posted:

the camera doesn't do you any favors either. I gave up on it too even though I loved the original game back in the day. Knife is useful, yes, but only in narrow windows. The way to tell if a zombie dies if they have a blood pool under them.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The puzzles are mostly find Y item to unlock X route. There's a few where you have to operate a very minor gimmick on the spot but it can be worked out within seconds. It's not a game that will have you sitting there scratching your head. It's 99% exploration and finding the item or path you need to progress.

Silent Hill has a few head-scratchers, there's a loving weird one in 2 or 3 on one of the harder difficulties where you literally have to have knowledge of Shakespeare to work it out.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wonderful demo, even though I didn't even get to finish it because I spent like 5 minutes aimlessly wandering around like an idiot and didn't notice the broken window in break room. I don't play horror games much anymore but I got a real dread out of wondering where those zombies are gonna come from. I didn't know that body hanging from the ceiling would actually fall down if I touched it so I quick turned from the radio guy and walked directly into it and got startled as hell from it. Those wooden boards for the windows, that's a throwback to Outbreak right? Where if you don't board them up more zombies are gonna come out?

I can't help but laugh whenever Leon just goes "poo poo" or "god drat it" when some zombie is futzing about. He's just out here treating bloodthirsty zombies with the same cadence one might when trying to move a piece of furniture or something.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

The gf made me put it on Spanish and turn the lights on for my second playthrough. Elliot has a Mexican accent and leon sounds great just muttering "dios" to himself every few minutes

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

aim until the crosshair shrinks, the shot will do more damage. they're still zombies so they don't die easy, but lining up your shots like that will make it take significantly fewer bullets than it would otherwise

generally you're safe when they quit squirming but best not to linger around them too much just in case

i didn't have much use for the knife either, it's probably best used to break out of zombie grabs

RE's puzzles before the action-oriented entries were heavily inventory based. you are going to have a squillion keys and medallions and other assorted doodads needed to open various types of doors and you're going to have to constantly juggle which one of these items you want in your inventory alongside your weapons and recovery items. you'll never have enough room for all of them, hence the storage lockers everywhere. it's an acquired taste

Ok thanks that's some good advice to keep in mind, along with what everyone else said. One more thing, I thought the lining up shots was purely for accuracy and not more dmg?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Thus far in the demo, I:

1. Got five minutes in and then crashed because my computer is an old piece of poo poo.
2. Got five minutes in and then crashed because my computer is an old piece of poo poo, again.
3. Got ten minutes in and crashed because it's currently doing icy rain outside and presumably some of the nearby power lines got messed up, and I lost power for a couple minutes.

Very unfortunate waste of precious demo time, especially considering none of it is actually the game's fault. I've stretched this computer out as long as I could, but I think I really, really need a new one now...

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Finished up Leon B and Mr X wasn’t nearly as challenging as I thought he was going to be, especially as the “final” boss. That being said the bit in the abandoned factory where you check a security monitor only to see the live feed of him marching towards the camera was really neat.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Took my time soaking it all in and didn't finish the demo before the timer ran out. Guess I'll try it again on my PC with the trainer

Lot of good memories playing through the original with friends back in the day, so happy they gave 2 the REmake treatment

4th survivor with this new engine is going to be amazing

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I highly recommend seeking out the timer trainer if you’re playing on PC (and haven’t finished it already yet).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

acksplode posted:

The graphics are worse in PSVR. Resolution is lower, real time shadows are gone, and you lose all the postprocessing that makes the game look like a found-footage movie. But the immersion makes it significantly scarier.

I just read up on how straightforward it is to hook up the psvr to a pc.

It looked like it's just set up as a second display with the gfx card doing all the processing.

I've got RE7 on PC, can I just do the above and keep the shiny graphical features or is there something specific with the headset too that will impact it?

Edit: poo poo just read it's only on PSVR. Well guess I should pick it up on there then.

Kin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 14, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So just to make sure I’m not missing anything the demo is basically just a linear path and only zombies? Main hall, east wing, main hall, west wing, broken window, up the stairs, see the licker but don’t get to fight it, get the key, library, main hall, downstairs, and end.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Kibayasu posted:

So just to make sure I’m not missing anything the demo is basically just a linear path and only zombies? Main hall, east wing, main hall, west wing, broken window, up the stairs, see the licker but don’t get to fight it, get the key, library, main hall, downstairs, and end.

Yeah that's it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I missed the library first time round, didn't see the door so just went straight back the way I came up :v:

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Oh drat I was closer to the end than I thought

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chalk me up as a person who played the demo then slam bought it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I have a question. If I wait for the reticle to completely zero in (like not moving at all) am I more likely to blow a head off as opposed to firing three shots

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

JBP posted:

I have a question. If I wait for the reticle to completely zero in (like not moving at all) am I more likely to blow a head off as opposed to firing three shots

I played through it twice (thank you hackers) both times taking my time lining up shots. The first time I killed like 3 zombies instantly with I guess a critical hit but the second time didn’t get any. If waiting for the crosshairs does help it seems fairly random/low odds regardless.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So as a kid I know I beat RE2 (Gamesharked, because that’s how I beat everything in those days) but never got super into it.

Just finished Claire A, going into Leon B, just met Mr. X. :allears:

I’m not even scared by it anymore, I’m just hype as gently caress for more cool poo poo.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Barudak posted:

Chalk me up as a person who played the demo then slam bought it.

My buddy, upon renting a GC and trying RE4, played it for about 5 minutes, then was like yep, brought it all back and bought the game and system.

Dewgy posted:

So as a kid I know I beat RE2 (Gamesharked, because that’s how I beat everything in those days) but never got super into it.

Remember the Super Ridiculous Code?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

codo27 posted:

My buddy, upon renting a GC and trying RE4, played it for about 5 minutes, then was like yep, brought it all back and bought the game and system.

A smart move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

The in-store demo ran up to the end of the first big village setpiece, that was probably a lot of peoples experience