Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s ok, not everyone can have taste

huey lewis and the news would like a word with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
my favorite authentic punk band is avril lavigne

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Music is only as good as you want it to be. If you hate everything popular you're boring.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

90's "punk" in general was just terrible with only a few exceptions.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don’t care if Rancid was a Clash knockoff, I find And Out Come the Wolves more enjoyable than London Calling.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

veni veni veni posted:

90's "punk" in general was just terrible with only a few exceptions.

Cartoons and the ability to travel between Mexico, the US, and Canada without a passport were literally the only good things from the 90s.

Also, Flight of the Conchords is way better than Weird Al. Today I learned that this is apparently an unpopular opinion? I love Weird Al but cmon.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

syscall girl posted:

Learn Mandarin

Mandarin sucks rear end, learn Cantonese, this one's not too unpopular but mainland china can eat a dick.

Also Flight of the Conchords is very good, but Weird Al gets the win for having kept the parody music genre afloat in even the worst times. Also polka appreciation.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 20:46 on Jan 13, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Weikrd Al Yankovic is terrible. His songs aren't even parodies and literally anyone could write them. Musical comedy is both the worst form of comedy and the worst form of music and Weird Al is pretty much at the bottom of the barrel.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

black flag lyrics are too on the nose

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Weikrd Al Yankovic is terrible. His songs aren't even parodies and literally anyone could write them. Musical comedy is both the worst form of comedy and the worst form of music and Weird Al is pretty much at the bottom of the barrel.

The reason why I don't hate Weird Al like I do with musical comedians is he doesn't sell it as a standup act like they do, it's just music. When it's some rear end on the stage playing a piano singing their jokes, that is the worst. When it's a musician who does a song similar to another one with different words, it's fine. If you don't find it funny, that's fine, but he at least deserves some respect for being the only successful person in his niche genre.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tiggum posted:

His songs aren't even parodies and literally anyone could write them. Musical comedy is both the worst form of comedy and the worst form of music and Weird Al is pretty much at the bottom of the barrel.

This isn't even so much unpopular, as just like factually wrong. Let's see you write some Weird Al or even like Blowfly classics.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The reason why I don't hate Weird Al like I do with musical comedians is he doesn't sell it as a standup act like they do, it's just music. When it's some rear end on the stage playing a piano singing their jokes, that is the worst. When it's a musician who does a song similar to another one with different words, it's fine. If you don't find it funny, that's fine, but he at least deserves some respect for being the only successful person in his niche genre.

Yeah Al is great because he is legitimately a talented musician if nothing else.

Compare him to say Stephen Lynch where Lynch is trying to do “standup with a guitar” but he’s not really any better on guitar than any random rear end in a top hat who’s practiced for a bit and his comedy is also just not funny. That stupid rear end in a top hat was super popular when I was in high school.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I loved Weird Al as a kid. Once I hit my teens and beyond I thought it was the cheesiest poo poo ever (it is) but now I can appreciate what he does on some level. I'd never actually listen to one of his albums anymore, but I'm glad that he exists and he seems like a really solid dude.

Obviously I'd take Flight of the Conchords over Weird Al now. I don't really think the two are really comparable at all though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

He has a target audience. Once you outgrow that target, it's normal to stop liking him so much.

all musicians and entertainers in general should be judged through the scope of who they are trying to entertain, otherwise you can't be objective.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tiggum posted:

"an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect."

sounds like parody to me. of course anyone can write a parody of a song, you don't need to be a lyrical genius to make one, but you do need to be one for them to be funny. i disagree with your opinion, but a lot of people do too, which is why it's here.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I didn't realize anyone seriously liked that stupid poo poo

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Shibawanko posted:

I didn't realize anyone seriously liked that stupid poo poo

But enough about video game speedruns

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

GOT EM

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

NES and SNES games don't hold up at all, the N64 had one of the weakest libraries of any major video game console, the Wii had maybe a couple dozen good games and the Wii U even fewer than that. The Switch is literally the second good home console Nintendo has ever made.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

oldpainless posted:

But enough about video game speedruns

true that, my brother. the only speedrunners i care to watch are TheMexicanRunner and..uh..kenny omega?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

NES and SNES games don't hold up at all, the N64 had one of the weakest libraries of any major video game console, the Wii had maybe a couple dozen good games and the Wii U even fewer than that. The Switch is literally the second good home console Nintendo has ever made.

It depends on what you mean by holds up. If you are playing them on an emulator on your computer, yeah they aren't very fun compared to the modern alternatives. But they can still be fun from a nostalgia perspective. I hate obsession with nostalgia where people structure their lives on living like they are still a child, but hooking up the NES to an old TV once in a while and playing maniac mansion or whatever can still be fun once in a while.

somehwat related: the only modern games worth playing is the call of duty series. It's the same poo poo over and over but it's good poo poo. Everything else is too far up its own rear end about trying to be meaningful. I just want to run around blowing people up and insult the mother of the 14 year olds i am killing over the microphone.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The only speedrun I have ever actually watched was one of Morrowind’s main quest and it was the dumbest loving thing ever. Morrowind is one my favourite games but the base gameplay is mostly boring and broken. To speedrun is to ignore everything likeable about it.

Also Skyrim is the most disappointing thing that ever happened.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 00:54 on Jan 14, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The only speedrun I have ever actually watched was one of Morrowind’s main quest and it was the dumbest loving thing ever. Morrowind is one my favourite games but the base gameplay is mostly boring and broken. To speedrun is to ignore everything likeable about it.

I played hundreds of hours playing Morrowind. I didn't even do the main quest for years after i started playing it, there's little reason to, the core of the game is everything else. It is buggy but it's dumb to exploit it, just deal with it and have fun.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I play games, a lot less now though than I used to, and never had any interest in speed runs. Not doing them, not watching them. They just seem dumb, and pointless.

I recognize there is skill and planning involved, but that's not enough.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

I play games, a lot less now though than I used to, and never had any interest in speed runs. Not doing them, not watching them. They just seem dumb, and pointless.

the fact that they almost all use emulators and savestates kills all potential interest in them for me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

doverhog posted:

Yeah.

So if you walk diagonally and jump just as you land you move 3% faster? Okay that's a neat bit of trivia about how a game works but I don't need to see someone do it for an hour.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

syscall girl posted:

Climate change is not a joke. Species and biome death is our reality. Migration from the blasted lands is happening.

Learn Farsi, learn Mandarin, meet your new neighbors.

Be kind and gentle

Or learn how to distill alcohol and make bullets

Learn to appreciate the extremes of cannibalism and a plant-based diet.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I played hundreds of hours playing Morrowind. I didn't even do the main quest for years after i started playing it, there's little reason to, the core of the game is everything else. It is buggy but it's dumb to exploit it, just deal with it and have fun.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KBNxxM6AuW8

I youtubed another one just to see and while it is not same speedrun it is the same “everything bad about this game and none of the fun stuff.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also Fallout 3/4/76 is the most disappointing thing that ever happened.

yeah, i agree. good thing obsidian's making their "gently caress you bethesda" game, The Outer Worlds

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Things like burrito bowls defeat the entire point of the food in question. Opening up the tortilla and dumping it all in a bowl doesn't make it a new experience, it should only be done as a last resort where you forgot to buy tortillas. aaaaw

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^^^ I like taking the Chipotle bowl home and dumping it into a mixing bowl to make multiple servings of an excellent Mexican-ish mishmash. :yum:

Unreal Tournament had the best storyline and themes possible for a first-person shooter: you're a fucker goin' around firing guns at other fuckers who respawn when they die because sci-fi bullshit and there's no underlying political narrative about empire or conquest or racism and it's unrealistic because it's supposed to be unrealistic because fictional violence is loving sweet. :rock:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Actually the best fps story is Team Fortress 2.

Things like burrito bowls defeat the entire point of the food in question. Opening up the tortilla and dumping it all in a bowl doesn't make it a new experience, it should only be done as a last resort where you forgot to buy tortillas. aaaaw

F-former mexican president Vicente Fox?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Burrito bowls are awesome. The tortilla is just a conveyance to get the delicious fillin's into your mouth.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Actually probably unpopular opinion: Translocator arena was the best game moderule set in Unreal Tournament, telefragging is hilarious and requires a whole different kind of strategy and planning.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Burrito bowls are awesome. The tortilla is just a conveyance to get the delicious fillin's into your mouth.

You sound like you’ve been criminally deprived of good tortillas :(

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

i have no idea how that aaaaw got on the end of that post. I'm leaving it and pretending it's an acronym for something.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Yardbomb posted:

Let's see you write some Weird Al or even like Blowfly classics.
You're right, how could anyone but the greatest wordsmith of a generation come up with stuff like this?

spit on my clit posted:

"an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect."
Changing the lyrics of a song to something unrelated does not fall within that description.

Tubgoat posted:

Unreal Tournament had the best storyline and themes possible for a first-person shooter: you're a fucker goin' around firing guns at other fuckers who respawn when they die because sci-fi bullshit and there's no underlying political narrative about empire or conquest or racism and it's unrealistic because it's supposed to be unrealistic because fictional violence is loving sweet. :rock:
There's actually more to the backstory than that, but like many games it's completely ignorable.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Changing the lyrics of a song to something unrelated does not fall within that description.

He has tons of "style parodies" that do fit that description

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You sound like you’ve been criminally deprived of good tortillas :(

I'm not saying tortillas are bad. It's just that with burritos, much like people, it's whats on the inside that counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

You're right, how could anyone but the greatest wordsmith of a generation come up with stuff like this?

There's actually more to the backstory than that, but like many games it's completely ignorable.

It’s courageous to parody your own posts but these lyrics suck, Tiggum