Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This was actually in the dean winters movie and I couldn’t believe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbrsy7oeQYE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CelticPredator posted:

This was actually in the dean winters movie and I couldn’t believe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbrsy7oeQYE

I’m fairly certain it gets used in the Friday the 13th game too

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

King Vidiot posted:

She was also in Knock Knock where she makes out naked with Ana de Armas. She's like Sheri Moon Zombie is to Rob Zombie, but at least those two have a more age-appropriate relationship.

And I'm ashamed to admit I actually kind of liked Knock Knock, mostly for Keanu Reeves

Honestly, I thought she was the only highlight of Green Inferno as she was asked to do A LOT with her performance and she did a good job. And that plus Keanu is enough that Knock, Knock is on my extended list.

But like at least Zombie actually clearly loves and respects his wife and while there's a fair bit of "check out how hot my wife is" I can't think of anything as dehumanizing and gratuitious as what Roth puts Izzo through in Inferno (and what I know of Knock Knock).

And like, not only is there the massive age gap where she was a young actress in her early 20s and he was a 40 year old director with power, but that was the start of their relationship vs the Zombie thing where their relationship was already established when he started showing her off.

I dunno. It just really creeps me out.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

also Rob Zombie isn't a massive loving tool, so there's that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Coffee And Pie posted:

Manfredini’s score sounds similar but I’d hope it’s not. That would be lame as that is some weird old stock sound effect thing and shouldn’t be in any serious work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Coffee And Pie posted:

It is not.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

STAC Goat posted:

When I watched Green Inferno in the October marathon I hated it so drat much that I became kind of obsessed with it and ultimately determined that the entire movie was just Eli Roth fantasizing about sticking it to SJWs who bothered him on Twitter by having them eaten by savage brown people.

Mainly because he said it was.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-eli-roth-green-inferno-sjw-20150709-story.html

Green Inferno: Activism is loving gay

What a dipshit. The characters in the film even do exactly what he’s faulting ‘SJWs’ for not doing: getting off their rear end and engaging in actual activism abroad. But I guess even that must be punished?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

What a dipshit. The characters in the film even do exactly what he’s faulting ‘SJWs’ for not doing: getting off their rear end and engaging in actual activism abroad. But I guess even that must be punished?

See but he goes out of his way to show that everyone in the group is either incredibly naive to what they're actually protesting and just virtue signaling, just looking to get laid or some drugs, or just completely full of poo poo and literally paid off by rival energy companies to create a false flag scandal. Checkmate, libtards.

Like, one of the first scenes of the film is the main character's roommate basically saying "Activism is loving gay and they're all just doing it to hide their jewish white guilt... I'm a jew so I can say that." Its clearly just Roth's self insert and the movie's mission statement.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

also Rob Zombie isn't a massive loving tool, so there's that.

It's funny how you never hear anything bad about him as a person.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not that I pay much attention, but outside of music and movies I never hear anything about him or his wife at all.

In the few interviews I've seen him in he seems like a pretty cool dude.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zombie just seems to be living his perfect dream life making the movies he wants to, with a group of friends he loves spending time with, and making his wife the star and center of every spotlight.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

John Carpenter isn't much of a fan.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Davros1 posted:

Maybe I didn't read the right stuff but that read to me like just a miscommunication. Like Zombie seems like he tried to show Carpenter respect by going to him for a blessing and advice about the Halloween remake, Carpenter was all "do whatever you want, its your movie", and Zombie thought that was cold and dismissive while Carpenter meant it as kind of passing the torch or something.

How it graduated to "piece of poo poo" I don't know, but I kind of just think Carpenter was misdirecting his anger at the remake thing and read into Zombie "lying." Zombie doesn't seem like the type to just start randomly telling lies to trash John freaking Carpenter.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Davros1 posted:

Even their supposed unfriendliness seems overblown, Carpenter seems pretty blunt with everyone. I don't blame him for not having time for it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Having Pinhead deliver quips as he is murdering kids and razing churches is actually a good thing for a franchise to start doing in its third film, and the series becomes unwatchable after the fourth partly because they stop doing that and ineptly try making serious movies about bdsm monsters.

Friday the 13 similarly becomes more darkly comedic later in the series, and I think that's a good move if you're gonna turn your monster movie into a franchise. The novelty is long gone at that point.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I loved Rob Zombie's show where he played old school horror films and talked about them and their significance. Sucks it didn't continue. I think it ran on Chiller, can't remember the name.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I loved Rob Zombie's show where he played old school horror films and talked about them and their significance. Sucks it didn't continue. I think it ran on Chiller, can't remember the name.

Are you talking about TCM Underground? 'Cause it still technically runs, there just isn't a host format anymore.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Biomute posted:

Having Pinhead deliver quips as he is murdering kids and razing churches is actually a good thing for a franchise to start doing in its third film, and the series becomes unwatchable after the fourth partly because they stop doing that and ineptly try making serious movies about bdsm monsters.

Their mistake was making Pinhead the big bad at all but they went with it for how memorable and liked the style of the character was compared to Julia. They started developing and trying to get Hellraiser 2 out almost as soon as the original took off and IIRC that would have had Pinhead as the big bad too in a hypothetical world where they didn't start working on it for a couple of more years. But the original intention was always for Julia and her newest hell romance scheme drama to be the big bad of the sequels.

Bloodlines too though, they did the opposite like they give Pinhead/etc. a lot of screentime but actually cut out almost all of Angelique's scenes and their conflict about one wanting sort of the Hellraiser 1 ordered/contracts/systematic temptation kind of hell that draws people to it and Pinhead wanting to spread hell everywhere across the universe. And without another character to actually bounce off of or have some conflict with beyond just immediately killing them in the scene he he meets them makes him no different in Bloodlines than he is in Hellraiser 3.

I'm in the camp that thinks Inferno is fine and uh, Hellseeker? The 7th one I think? Is pretty good too but the franchise was doomed when they both got rid of Julia completely and then also made Pinhead a quipping gleeful guy instead of coming off like a more measured but arrogant dude.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
There are no good Hellraiser sequels after 2. The Christian morality tale in the style of Jacob's Ladder formula ever since part 5 is a total waste of time.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

There is that one later I liked with the cop but I forget which one that is. Its basically Hellraiser: Silent Hill.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hollismason posted:

There is that one later I liked with the cop but I forget which one that is. Its basically Hellraiser: Silent Hill.

Judgement? It’s on Netflix now. I’ve started it like three different times but can’t commit a full watch. It definitely feels like somebody’s pet project script that could only get made with Pinhead thrown in though. It’s the one installment I can think of that I legit feel would have been maybe a more fuller realized film without the Hellraiser stuff jammed in.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Hollismason posted:

This also describes Inferno (which is good [for a direct to video non Friday the 13th horror franchise entry] imo)

Also I just looked it up and it’s the directorial debut of the guy who would go onto make Sinister and Dr Strange

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 14, 2019

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah I remember Inferno as being fairly decent for what it was. It’s also the last Hellraiser entry I saw; not sure I feel a great desire to change that despite my perverse love-hate relationship with horrible movies.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I know this thread has a few Ken Russell fans other than me.The Devils, Altered States, Lair of the White Worm and Crimes of Passion are all fantastic in their own ways and worth watching.

For those of us who remember the 80s, I just found out he also directed this:

https://youtu.be/G2zxzaWgVRA

Everything makes so much sense now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ask his former bandmates lol.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Wow. The observation that Michael doesn't give a flying gently caress about Laurie Strode is absolutely correct.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

James Woods Fan posted:

Wow. The observation that Michael doesn't give a flying gently caress about Laurie Strode is absolutely correct.

Yep. Just a dude having a psychotic episode.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hey, just a heads up that the new season of True Detective premiered tonight and the first 2 episodes are directed by Jeremy Saulnier, the guy who did Blue Ruin and Green Room! I don't know if he's directing the whole season, but I certainly hope he is.

Also I got some pretty strong psychological horror vibes from that first episode. I got chills like crazy near the end. Reminded me a lot of Se7en. I've gotta watch that second episode.

Definitely did not think I'd be saying this show was good again after the poo poo second season, but that first episode was better than that entire last season!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

K. Waste posted:

Are you talking about TCM Underground? 'Cause it still technically runs, there just isn't a host format anymore.

Dunno, I stopped watching TV over 10 years ago but I remember Rob Zombie in it and dropping knowledge, the name doesn't sound familiar but looking it up it seems like this was definitely it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

K. Waste posted:

Yep. Just a dude having a psychotic episode.

Like only two people think he's coming for her while he's really just doing his thing. Does he even recognize her? I am not entirely sure he knows who she is. Also that last five minutes was corny as hell.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hey, just a heads up that the new season of True Detective premiered tonight and the first 2 episodes are directed by Jeremy Saulnier, the guy who did Blue Ruin and Green Room! I don't know if he's directing the whole season, but I certainly hope he is.

Also I got some pretty strong psychological horror vibes from that first episode. I got chills like crazy near the end. Reminded me a lot of Se7en. I've gotta watch that second episode.

Definitely did not think I'd be saying this show was good again after the poo poo second season, but that first episode was better than that entire last season!

Yeah it's good so far, but Saulnier left the show over differences with Pizzolatto, so he only directed the first two episodes. I'm worried that the rest will suffer from his departure. Hope not.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

James Woods Fan posted:

Like only two people think he's coming for her while he's really just doing his thing. Does he even recognize her? I am not entirely sure he knows who she is. Also that last five minutes was corny as hell.

It's been 40 years and Michael has already spent most of his life in asylums and maximum security detention facilities. I mean, he probably has the capacity to recognize certain people particular to those unique circumstances, but asking if he remembers Laurie in particular is kind of like asking if he remembers anyone he's killed. At what point would he even begin to internalize someone's identity like that? It's just not how his personality is wired, all people are objects to him.

The ending is also great, because it leans upon and escalates the implications of the ending of the first movie. All that's missing is the narrator from Monster a Go-Go:

quote:

As if a switch had been turned, as if an eye had been blinked, as if some phantom force in the universe had made a move eons beyond our comprehension, suddenly, there was no trail! There was no giant, no monster, no thing called "the Shape" to be followed. There was nothing in the neighborhood but the puzzled men of courage, who suddenly found themselves alone with shadows and darkness! With the bullet, one cloud lifts, and another descends. Patient Michael Myers, rescued, alive, well, and of normal size, some 50 miles away in a ditch, with no memory of where he has been, or how he was separated from his ambulance! Then who, or what, has invaded Haddonfield? Is it here yet? Or has the cosmic switch been pulled? Case in point: The line between science fiction and science fact is microscopically thin! You have witnessed the line being shaved even thinner! But is the menace with us? Or is the monster gone?

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Just watched The House That Jack Built and after being super hype for it since I saw the first trailer, it kinda sucked? It was my first time watching a film by Von Trier, but I'm fairly familiar with Nymphomaniac and the Willem Defoe one. The pacing was kinda slow, the scenes were really predictable until the end, and the end just felt tonally weird. If the scenes with Virgil had been interspersed through the film as an actual frame story it would have been a lot better but the full shift was just not good. I was also much more bothered by the scenes of him abusing Simple than the poo poo with the kids that everyone got mad about. That whole part was just sad and didn't have a good payoff. Pretty disappointing overall.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

K. Waste posted:

It's just not how his personality is wired, all people are objects to him.

Except the baby, for some reason.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Babies are cute.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

s.i.r.e. posted:

Except the baby, for some reason.

In that case it's not really clear that he even internalizes the presence of the baby. He hasn't made a decision premised in some modicum of empathy, he just doesn't care/is completely disassociated from it. Meanwhile, he'll gladly kill the boy with the gun because he's a threat/there's a utilitarian purpose to it.

On the other hand, in the original film, he reveals himself to the two kids that are bullying Tommy just to scare the poo poo out of them. That's a good, overt example where we're at least given some kind of window into a seemingly contradictory aspect of his personality: Does he identify with Tommy? Is he taking revenge on his behalf? If so, is this the same as having empathy for him, or is he merely projecting his own narcissistic desires?

Or, going even further symbolically, is Michael a projection by Tommy?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

James Woods Fan posted:

In the new one he doesn't, but he did in the original that's for drat sure. We just don't know why but we don't need to, it doesn't matter.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Babies are cute.

Nah.

K. Waste posted:

In that case it's not really clear that he even internalizes the presence of the baby. He hasn't made a decision premised in some modicum of empathy, he just doesn't care/is completely disassociated from it. Meanwhile, he'll gladly kill the boy with the gun because he's a threat/there's a utilitarian purpose to it.

So kinda like Predator, you're saying.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah it's good so far, but Saulnier left the show over differences with Pizzolatto, so he only directed the first two episodes. I'm worried that the rest will suffer from his departure. Hope not.
Aww man :( I hope whoever directed the rest of 'em took cues from his work on the first couple. They're SO GOOD.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

s.i.r.e. posted:

In the new one he doesn't, but he did in the original that's for drat sure. We just don't know why but we don't need to, it doesn't matter.

I always attributed it to her going to his house on her way to school. It wasn't because she was Laurie Strode. It was because someone walked into his eyesight that happened to be Laurie Strode.

I can definitely see why she would think he's after her specifically, though.

colachute fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Neo Rasa posted:

Fortunately there's Room for one more Green movie that's better than them all.

A clever reference to Soylent Green, which is of course based on Harry Harrison's novel Make Room! Make Room! I approve.